Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mid-season what are our strengths?

badboy

Hall of Fame
What I am looking for is a clear unbiased discussions of our positives going forward. As we all know the negatives there is no reason to post those here. Please do not voice complaints about management or comparisons of past or other team management or players. No reason to bring up Cal McNair in any manner.

This may be shorter thread topic than I think it could be.

Thanks!

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Run defense. Done a good job against Jacobs and Mack where others could not. Lunch pail crew!
Getting turnovers
Time of possession and running game
Passing game after the first quarter
Kicking game looking good again, took a burp when Anger was new holder but looks fixed
Effort, and keep playing, ability to come back

Sad, not so many things to really love

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Darren Fells has been a pleasant surprise and I consider the TEs a strength of the team. I heard a recent interview with Fells and he mentioned getting a reputation as strictly a blocking TE because he recognized that his lack of experience route running and learning the NFL offensive terminology was new to him, so he hired an OL coach, studied film and worked hard at being a good blocker. Now that he's comfortable, he has been able to show his pass catching skills.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
This team to me is just frustrating.
It seems that it is not being used to maximise it's potential and I blame that on the coaching.
Sure, we see one or two weeks of good even exciting football, then it goes back to frustrating to watch football - there is just no consistency.
When we get our run game going and our Oline is protecting Watson well, I think we can beat any team in the league.
Getting a show of it one week to have your expectations shot down the next just saps the enthusiasm.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It seems that it is not being used to maximise it's potential and I blame that on the coaching.
Sure, we see one or two weeks of good even exciting football, then it goes back to frustrating to watch football - there is just no consistency.
When we get our run game going and our Oline is protecting Watson well, I think we can beat any team in the league.
Getting a show of it one week to have your expectations shot down the next just saps the enthusiasm.
Young QB has to become more consistent.

LikeMike

Veteran
I like our rookies - there have been some growing pins with Lonnie Jobhson Jr., but they are to be expected for a young second round corner, he has looked really good at other times. Howard and sharping look like Instant upgrades which are rare at the offensive line and omenihu already looks like a quality rotational player. And we haven’t even seen Wareing yet...

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
See & read the OP

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Young QB has to become more consistent.
Agree.
But would you not agree that he has plenty of time to progress and improve?
Best opinions say it takes 4 to 5 years for a NFL QB to reach his potential.
In the meantime, he has plenty enough weapons to beat other teams.
Now, he also needs a more consistent Oline for that potential to fully develope.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Agree.
Now, he also needs a more consistent Oline for that potential to fully develope.
I believe he has improved in some areas. He has been getting the ball out faster this season. It’s the scripted plays that the whole offense struggles with the most.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
The D can beat you because they stop the run and limit the big plays over the top, forcing QBs into high risk throws.

We've kept winning games through an injury crisis which looks temporary and should be much more healthy after the bye.

The offense can take on any D if OB can roll with the punches and play to our strengths.

OL has the most talent in years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agree.
Agreed, but some in the Jesusincleats crowd don't seem to understand this.

I'm discouraged by his lack of progress and am beginning to wonder if he's going to become damaged goods before he figures it out.

The fact that BOB is using him like a tailback tells me what he thinks.

banned1976

sleeper mode

I'm discouraged by his lack of progress and am beginning to wonder if he's going to become damaged goods before he figures it out.

You’re getting really good at criticizing other people on this board without actually naming names. If you’re going to attack members of this board how about directing towards an individual rather than this passive-aggressive trolling act that you’ve become way to comfortable with. You did it for years in regards to Rick Smith supporters, now you’re doing it with those supporting Watson.

Just support your guy (O’Brien) and be critical of Watson.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

So he's stupid again?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You’re getting really good at criticizing other people on this board without actually naming names. If you’re going to attack members of this board how about directing towards an individual rather than this passive-aggressive trolling act that you’ve become way to comfortable with. You did it for years in regards to Rick Smith supporters, now you’re doing it with those supporting Watson.

I'm just giving my opinion and I'm not the guy that came up with Jesusincleats moniker. I disagree with that crowd. That is all. You can either like my opinion or not but my thoughts aren't passive aggressive because I'm not calling out one poster. I'm calling out a group of posters and you don't like it. Get over it.

BTW, I'm not a BOB guy, although I do like the direction the franchise is headed in. Feel free to disagree with me and I won't call you a troll.

Texas Jake

Rookie

I agree that Watson still is learning, as any QB with a year and a half experience would be doing. I disagree with him not making progress, though. He is such a talented athlete, I think some fans take for granted he still has a long ways to go in his development (as any QB at his experience level does). One big reason that QBs like Brady and Brees play at an elite level is because of the years of experience they bring to the game. Watson is a student of the game, I do not doubt he will continue to elevate his game. I do not think OB's increased use of him as a runner is an indication that he has a negative view of Watson's ability or potential. I think it is the result of an o-line that has become a patchwork because of injuries and OB trying to generate offense and keep the defense on its heels and prevent them from just teeing off on the QB.

Texas Jake

Rookie
Strengths: QB, RB's, WRs, OL (when they are healthy and all on the field which they are not at the moment), and I think the defense has been doing a better job of getting critical stops in the fourth quarter which they weren't doing last year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree that Watson still is learning, as any QB with a year and a half experience would be doing. I disagree with him not making progress, though. He is such a talented athlete, I think some fans take for granted he still has a long ways to go in his development (as any QB at his experience level does). One big reason that QBs like Brady and Brees play at an elite level is because of the years of experience they bring to the game. Watson is a student of the game, I do not doubt he will continue to elevate his game. I do not think OB's increased use of him as a runner is an indication that he has a negative view of Watson's ability or potential. I think it is the result of an o-line that has become a patchwork because of injuries and OB trying to generate offense and keep the defense on its heels and prevent them from just teeing off on the QB.
Great post and I hope you are right

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I think our strengths are...

On offense:
  • Watson - He's not perfect, but who is? The kid finds ways to score when we need it.
  • Hopkins - I like how his game can adapt to whatever is needed. This season, he's playing more of a slot role. He's doing a great job at being the blitz beater as well as moving chains on 3rd/4th down.
  • Versatility - Guys like Hyde, Duke, Fells, Stills, Fuller (when healthy), and Akins (occasionally) provide alot of versatility on this offense. They shouldn't be one-dimensional and attack in multiple ways.
I still don't see the OL, TEs, or RBs as "strengths" on this team. Those position groups have been improved, but I wouldn't go as far to say they are the "strength" of this team.

On defense:
  • Watt - was a strength
  • Reader - IMO, is the best player now on this defense
TBH, I don't think there are any more "strengths" on this defense. I think they're solid once the secondary gets healthy. I think w/o Watt, our best is to hope we're a mediocre defense. Stop the run decently, prevent big plays, and get off the field on 3rd & long. That's what I want this defense to focus on for the remainder of the season.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I think our strength is...

Our field turf. Looks good. Solid contributor on home games. Too bad it can’t make the trip for away games. Supports our players walking or running. Gives the cushion when our players get knocked down hard.

Compared to the players and the coaching and Toro - best in class.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
He only got hit a lot when OBrien was running his slow developing offense.

But the larger point is that if the coach can't protect the qb without trading away two drafts, then we need a new coach
He got hit when he held onto the ball too long too. Don’t turn this all on OB.

Sounds like you want to take your chances with Watson getting IR’d with waiting a season to draft a rookie, and seeing if they turn out any good.

Why entrust OB the GM/Coach to make a good decision on a college player when he already took two stabs at it and missed at LT? Let him make the trade, protect Watson (the most precious asset on the team) and get a franchise LT. He will get signed as the highest paid LT which he plays up there with the best so should get paid. Tonsil is protecting the most important player on our team.

This isn’t to say OB should be kept and not fired, but Watson is going to be here longer than OB and needs to be protected.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He got hit when he held onto the ball too long too. Don’t turn this all on OB.

Sounds like you want to take your chances with Watson getting IR’d with waiting a season to draft a rookie, and seeing if they turn out any good.

Why entrust OB the GM/Coach to make a good decision on a college player when he already took two stabs at it and missed at LT? Let him make the trade, protect Watson (the most precious asset on the team) and get a franchise LT. He will get signed as the highest paid LT which he plays up there with the best so should get paid. Tonsil is protecting the most important player on our team.

This isn’t to say OB should be kept and not fired, but Watson is going to be here longer than OB and needs to be protected.
I would actually like to build a good OL without mortgaging the future. Like basically all good teams do

KarlK

Waterboy
The problem is O'Brien is a glorified college coach who seemingly wants to run up Watson's stats like he's trying to get him the Heisman.

If the Texans are close to the endzone, you better believe Watson will be running it himself, or throwing some short azz pass, so that he can get his numbers.

What NFL coach with half a brain runs their QB on the goalline like that? Watson's career won't last half a decade if this continues.

Bring in some young talented offensive minded head coach to maximize Watson. His numbers won't be as impressive because he won't be asked to run the option from the 2 yardline to run up his TD total, but he'll be a much better quarterback, the team will be much better, and he'll have a much longer career.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I would actually like to build a good OL without mortgaging the future. Like basically all good teams do
Would you agree some teams draft their LT by using a 1st rounder and maybe even another years draft pick to move up and then they take time to develop them? So we kind of did the same but have the player here early and developed with low risk of being a bust. We lose some years of control and lower expense. If you cannot see this is also a very equivalent and more sure way to get your LT, protect DW4 now, and burn the cash we have been stockpiling then just keep on your mantra. BOB sucks for moves like Clowney and clock management

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Would you agree some teams draft their LT by using a 1st rounder and maybe even another years draft pick to move up and then they take time to develop them? So we kind of did the same but have the player here early and developed with low risk of being a bust. We lose some years of control and lower expense. If you cannot see this is also a very equivalent and more sure way to get your LT, protect DW4 now, and burn the cash we have been stockpiling then just keep on your mantra. BOB sucks for moves like Clowney and clock management
Yes sometimes. But all they traded for him was a lot more. Plus not to mention all the guys he drafted and signed but couldn't develop over the years

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Yes sometimes. But all they traded for him was a lot more. Plus not to mention all the guys he drafted and signed but couldn't develop over the years
Nope, they basically gave a late one, a future one to move from the 20's to top 5 where you get guys like him. That is my logic. The 2 is for Stills and the early 4th and sixth which is damn useful to replace Fuller who we all know is good but glass. He could get Aaron Donald for a sixth and you would ***** about the salary. If you were a bit more balanced you could get some credibility for your posts.

I used to coach my folks when you are part of a team or a system, you always are part of the problem and solution, some people more than others. I guess I see the failings and successes of the coach, coaches, and players in that light. They all need to take some blame and get their kudos depending on outcomes

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Nope, they basically gave a late one, a future one to move from the 20's to top 5 where you get guys like him. That is my logic. The 2 is for Stills and the early 4th and sixth which is damn useful to replace Fuller who we all know is good but glass. He could get Aaron Donald for a sixth and you would ***** about the salary. If you were a bit more balanced you could get some credibility for your posts.

I used to coach my folks when you are part of a team or a system, you always are part of the problem and solution, some people more than others. I guess I see the failings and successes of the coach, coaches, and players in that light. They all need to take some blame and get their kudos depending on outcomes
I don't know that it makes sense to compare it to a draft day trade or high draft you pick where you control a guy for 4-5 years on a rookie scale. Tunsil will already be getting a big raise next year.

I also definitely don't think Stills is worth a second. He's been a nice piece but he's not really some sort of pro bowler and he's also a free agent soon (2 years).

Tunsil is great but it really doesn't matter if the rest of the team is so full of holes that it can't contend

Texansballer74

The Marine
This team has shown a lot of resilience. So I'm going with that as a strength. Adversity has kick down the door from the start of the season to now and we're 5-3. A couple of games we had to scratch and claw our way to wins. We continue to be hampered with injuries to key players. And yet, we continue to find ways to win. To be honest we should be 6-1.

Great job

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine

As well as derailing another thread that completely stated, them wanting positive opinions.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The problem is O'Brien is a glorified college coach who seemingly wants to run up Watson's stats like he's trying to get him the Heisman.

If the Texans are close to the endzone, you better believe Watson will be running it himself, or throwing some short azz pass, so that he can get his numbers.

What NFL coach with half a brain runs their QB on the goalline like that? Watson's career won't last half a decade if this continues.

Bring in some young talented offensive minded head coach to maximize Watson. His numbers won't be as impressive because he won't be asked to run the option from the 2 yardline to run up his TD total, but he'll be a much better quarterback, the team will be much better, and he'll have a much longer career.

Baltimore Ravens are doing that with Jackson.

The Panthers did it with Cam (not a good example)

Mike Vick was notorious for doing it.

Texas Jake

Rookie

I don't think OB is worried about Watson's stats. I think he is more concerned with scoring TDs and winning games. Watson's ability to run the ball is a weapon in the arsenal and I think most coaches would make use of it.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The Texans aren't doing anything now than they've already done in the past. They've proven themselves to erratic, mediocre, but flashing great stuff at times. Which can pretty much be said about most teams. The Texans are nothing more than just another team, and are not ready for prime time yet. And as long as OB is the head coach, they'll stay that way.

In order for the Texans to truly succeed, Watson must overcome the handicap of having OB as GM, HC, and OC. Which he can, but will he before injuries set in and ruin him?

mws

Rookie
I would say on offense our strengths are:

Good QB:
Not perfect but with the right coaching could be a really good one.

Good receiving core:
Both WRs and TEs.

Our running game looks better than it has in years:
We should be able to pick up those hard yards when we need to.

Better OL:
Not really a strength yet with the injuries but when healthy this line should be more than adequate to protect Watson.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Texans aren't doing anything now than they've already done in the past. They've proven themselves to erratic, mediocre, but flashing great stuff at times. Which can pretty much be said about most teams. The Texans are nothing more than just another team, and are not ready for prime time yet. And as long as OB is the head coach, they'll stay that way.

In order for the Texans to truly succeed, Watson must overcome the handicap of having OB as GM, HC, and OC. Which he can, but will he before injuries set in and ruin him?
Watson needs to learn before injuries set in.

He also needs to change his playing style if he wants to last.

KarlK

Waterboy
I don't think OB is worried about Watson's stats. I think he is more concerned with scoring TDs and winning games. Watson's ability to run the ball is a weapon in the arsenal and I think most coaches would make use of it.
Except any qb in the league can run it in from 2 yards out. OBrien is just the only one stupid enough to continually put his qb in harms way.

Hyde and Johnson are completely capable of running it when they are that close. Yet Watson is the one who always gets his number called.

We’ll see how long it takes before Watson gets seriously injured as OBrien continues to “makes use” of him on the goal line.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
We had a guy with lead in his boots for years and there was plenty of complaining on this board.
Now we have a guy who is a Houdini at escaping pursuers and we still see whining.
I don't get it.