25. Denver Broncos*- matt roth de
26. New York Jets*- carlos rogers cb
27. Atlanta Falcons*- brandon browner cb
28. San Diego Chargers*- roscoe parrish wr
29. Indianapolis Colts*- bryant mcfadden cb
30. Philadelphia Eagles*- justin miller cb
31. New England Patriots*- justin tuck de
32. Pittsburgh Steelers*- alex smith te

though wr isnt a 1st round priority, id be ecstatic if mike williams fell to us...a no-brainer to pick up at that spot, and a perfect posession reciever to pair w/ andre.
we might do better to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd rounder as well...

other thoughts:
- 3 rbs in the frist 5 picks??? benson is overrated and chicago has the perfect rb for lovie smith's offense.

- rolle and thomas davis will probably go higher.

- alex barron @21???? i thought he was supposed to be a top 5 pick.

- 5'9 roscoe parrish in the first round???? i need to see it to believe it.

texansfan88 said:
by the way, does kiper explain his picks on the insider stuff?

Yes he does:

Houston Texans: Mike Williams</a> (jr.), WR, USC</b><br>
Williams did not play in 2004 but dominated the college game for two seasons while at USC. His 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame gives him a big advantage over defensive backs, and he would make a perfect complement to young standout receiver Andre Johnson.

here is the link:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=1969422

he's going #4 to the Bears but if by chance which he wont that he'd slip to 13, he would be taken b/c he'd be head and shoulders above everyone else

Has us picking Mike Williams at 13. I dont see him falling that far, and that doesn't seem like an immediate need, but to see him and AJ together, would make them almost uncoverable.

Sure that pick would be fantastic but it wont happen and you cant build a team on just talent players(Qb, rb, wr). Also, with JG andAJ we don't need him.

Whew, just imagine it! It'd be unfair to have BOTH Andre Johnson and Mike Williams. Offensive line woes? Forget 'em.

There's no way he'll never fall that far down.

There is nothing wrong with taking BPA. And a WR is not a bad pick. Put him to the right, and jabar in the slot.

i guess it'll only take 1 more year to prove Jabar Gaffney is nothing more than a really good #3

Bradford was basically our #3 WR last year, Gaffney proved himself last year.

how many years are you thinking here? this will be his 4th season and he has shown me that he is nothing more than a below average 2nd wr to a good 3rd wr

how many years are you thinking here? this will be his 4th season and he has shown me that he is nothing more than a below average 2nd wr to a good 3rd wr

I hope you are kidding. Last season, he averaged 15.4 ypc #1 on the Texans, 1 yard more per catch than AJ, his long was 69 yards #1 on the Texans, and that was 15 yards longer than AJ's longest catch, and he had 632 yards total receiving, 2nd only behind AJ.

Texan281 said:
I would absolutely LOVE that pick...
Why? Especially when our #2 WR last year, Gaffney, was targeted only 68 times and our RB Davis was targeted 85 times. And that pick wouldnt help our D-Line which in return would help our LBs, which in turn would help the secondary, which in turn would help field position, which in return would help the offense...

And could have had alot more if he ran better routes and had the speed or size to be a number 2 reciever. Id be exstatic with that pick!

This is Kiper's 1st mock of the year, right? Let's look back at this when Mel puts out his draft eve mock and see how many of the picks are the same. My over/under on the total is 5 of the 32 picks. And I'm taking the under.

Reddevil63 said:
And could have had alot more if he ran better routes and had the speed or size to be a number 2 reciever. Id be exstatic with that pick!
Gaff has been repeatley metioned as the best route runner on the team. Steve Largent wasnt a burner and he is in the hall of fame. Gaff just needs more balls thrown his way then Davis...

I just have to think that there is a reason for that, one that we dont see on Sunday's but on the practice field. I could be wrong, I dont pretend to think Im right but I can remember a few times where Gaff ran the wrong routes etc. and maybe thats a bigger problem than a couple of times a game.

Reddevil63 said:
I just have to think that there is a reason for that, one that we dont see on Sunday's but on the practice field. I could be wrong, I dont pretend to think Im right but I can remember a few times where Gaff ran the wrong routes etc. and maybe thats a bigger problem than a couple of times a game.
The reason is Carr doesnt give some plays any chances. You can tell on about 4 pass plays a games where Carr is thinking Davis all the way. I call it from my room cause I can tell by how Carr drops back. Carr has to give Gaff more chances...

I remember one play this year against the Titans when Gaff stopped when he should of kept going but that is the only one I know of....

pek281 said:
Gaffney had 2-1/2 catches per game. That's a #2 WR? Something's gotta give there.
And thats because Gaff was only targeted 4 times a game so he came up with the ball more then 60% of the time...

Last season, he averaged 15.4 ypc #1 on the Texans, 1 yard more per catch than AJ, his long was 69 yards #1 on the Texans, and that was 15 yards longer than AJ's longest catch, and he had 632 yards total receiving, 2nd only behind AJ.

Fiddy said:
I remember one play this year against the Titans when Gaff stopped when he should of kept going but that is the only one I know of....

thats not necessarily bad route running as it is a bad read.

whether his numbers are those of a #2, he is a perfect fit for a slot reciever and thats where he will get the most production.

Mike Williams is very, very likely to become a better NFL WR than Jabar Gaffney. That said, Williams would never get the number of passes directed to him with the Texans that AJ gets. And how does Williams help the O-line? Or the D-line depth? Or getting to the opposing QB? It would be great to have Mike Williams on the Texans, but he solves none of the Texans problems.

I'd rather take TE Heath Miller from Virginia and let Armstrong, Gaffney, and maybe a free agent mid level pick up (Rod Gardner from Wash) compete for the number 2 job.

Lucky said:
Mike Williams is very, very likely to become a better NFL WR than Jabar Gaffney. That said, Williams would never get the number of passes directed to him with the Texans that AJ gets. And how does Williams help the O-line? Or the D-line depth? Or getting to the opposing QB? It would be great to have Mike Williams on the Texans, but he solves none of the Texans problems.

I don't think some people realize how good this Mike Williams is. He IS another AJ or a TO. This guy is a Top 5 WR in the NFL within a couple of years.

He solves problems by opening the field big time.

Or just wing it in FA or latter rounds.

The best Mike could do for our offense is drive a lot of attention away from blitzing or giving us a run game. I mean, it is kind of a poison.... sit back and cover AJ+MW and let Davis run wild on draws, or blitz every down and let Carr throw fades and hitches to AJ+MW and let them run wild and jump all over the secondary.

We can argue both ways if drafting MW over a line is detrimental or beneficial.

Personally, I'd pay to see an AJ+MW light show.

Sure, probably end up with a Colt offense, but this time, our receivers can actually put up a fight. :/

He is a safe pick, but if a Heath Miller or Alex Baron is available, they are just as safe a pick, in a position we desprately need.

pek281 said:
He solves problems by opening the field big time.
How does Carr stay upright long enough to get the ball down the field? How does the defense get the ball back to the offense? You don't need 2 TO's or 2 AJ's to win in the NFL. But, you do need solid offensive & defensive lines.

So, we pass on Antrell Rolle, Thomas Davis, Jammal Brown and Alex Barronto draft Mike Williams, not saying he wouldnt help our offense, but thinking the Texans would pass on all that defensive and o-line help for a WR wow. idonno: :crazy: :confused:

This is one guys guess of how the draft will go. It is not written in stone anywhere that we will draft Mike Williams.

Also we have not seen what the texans will do in FA which could make a huge difference on how they decide to draft.

Ex: If we picked up Bubba Franks and Walter Jones to help with pass and run blocking, would any of you have a problem witht them drafting M. Williams?

Changes alot doesn't it. Right now there are still 3 months left to the draft and god knows what kind of changes we could see in our roster. Theres only one way to find out and I'm sure going by Mel is not it.

I dont know. i guess there are worse picks, i wouldn't be furious, it wouldn't be like we didn't get a playmaker. but it wouldnt make sense since everyone seems to say we are a running team, why another wide out? maybe another running back or something but it just don't make sense.

does anyone know what kind of contract the 13th pick in last years draft got?

if we got Walter Jones and Bubba Franks, i'd have to say that A. Rolle would be the pick, imagine him and DR back there in a couple years

how can anyone can give any kind of definate evaluation of our offensive players.. without the line working.. that just blows my mind.

Seems like every year we are talking about Gaffney looking good and really improving.. then as soon as the offseason rolls around everyone starts talking about how he sucks.. whatever... he will continue to be a great WR for us.

Personally, I would draft Rolle if this unlikely scenario were to play out...It doesn't really address our bigger needs, but IMO he's the BPA, and he does address our need to find Glenn's replacement...I wouldn't be mad if we were to get Williams, though...As it's already been said,
gg no re said:
I'd pay to see an AJ+MW light show

AndreJ said:
Ex: If we picked up Bubba Franks and Walter Jones to help with pass and run blocking, would any of you have a problem witht them drafting M. Williams?
Yes I would have a problem, because we still wouldnt have a defense and the Colts proved that no matter how good your offense is, you will get run over when it counts the most when you cant stop anyone...

I think the most important thing is we get a playmaker with the 13th pick. and someone who will hopefully be competing for a starting position late in the season at worst. or will be a 5-10 year starter.

Fiddy said:
Yes I would have a problem, because we still wouldnt have a defense and the Colts proved that no matter how good your offense is, you will get run over when it counts the most when you cant stop anyone...

You missed the entire point.

The point i was trying to make was that we still haven't seen what will happen in free agency and that can determine who we will decide to pick up in the draft. Just because this Mel Moron came up with these picks in his head doesn't mean that's who the texans will decide to go with.

There are so many ifs and buts left to deal with that their is absolutely no way to tell who or what position the texans will decide draft for.

jacquescas said:
does anyone know what kind of contract the 13th pick in last years draft got?
A #13 pick would get a 5-6 year deal for around $10 million.

i think everyone understands that its just a mock draft. but until the draft comes the only thing we can do is discuss, debate, and have heated discourse until draft day.

texan279 said:
How is FS a need? Isn't that why we extended Coleman's contract last season?

Yeah i can't get over the fact that people think we should draft a safty either. IMO i think that would be a waste of a pick, especially if it's on the first day.

texan279 said:
How is FS a need? Isn't that why we extended Coleman's contract last season?
Some people feel that Coleman is overrated and stinks. Others, like me and the ones who gave him the contract extension, feel that he will be a playmaker in the secondary for a few more years. idonno:

Back