Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mel Kiper 2016 Mocks

Mel has the Texans taking ND State QB Carson Wentz.

Link

NFL mock draft season began in earnest in late December, and it is into overdrive now as Mel Kiper has posted his first 2016 NFL mock draft. He has Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa going first, and Cal quarterback Jared Goff second off the board. He has three quarterbacks going in the first round, with Memphis' Paxton Lynch at No. 15 to the Los Angeles Rams, and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz at No. 22 to the Houston Texans.

Here's his entire mock: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/40xry7/mel_kipers_2016_nfl_mock_draft_10/

1. Tennessee Titans

*Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St.

Getting the best defensive lineman in any draft really transcends need. Every team wants great D-lineman, and Bosa has the upside of a star. He's a dominant pass-rusher who piled up 51.0 tackles for loss over three seasons despite running into a steady supply of double-teams, and he's also outstanding against the run. You can move him around on the line at will. The son of a former first-round pick, he comes in ready to contribute.

2.) Cleveland Browns

*Jared Goff, QB, Cal

It goes without saying the Browns need to take a hard look at quarterbacks, and Hue Jackson should have the chance to start fresh with someone other than Johnny Manziel. Goff has tremendous talent and upside. He's shown off an NFL arm since he arrived at Cal, and has a great mind for the game. He's also shown how resilient he can be, growing with and leading that team at Cal, which would be a great trait in Cleveland.

3.) San Diego Chargers

*Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

Ken Whisenhunt is back at offensive coordinator for the Chargers, and the immediate need for this team is going to be figuring out a way to keep Phillip Rivers upright. Injuries have decimated the Chargers' offensive line, and adding Tunsil means they get an immediate starter. This kid is a flat-out gifted left tackle prospect, the kind of player who could go No. 1 overall to Tennessee. Get him here and you're pleased.

4.) Dallas Cowboys

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

It's rare to find a team picking No. 4 overall that can genuinely say "We're in win-now mode." But the Cowboys get a healthy Tony Romo back and that's a fair statement. If Greg Hardy isn't back, Buckner is a great fit. You get a 6-foot-7, 290-pound defensive end who can put a tackle on skates right into his own quarterback. The No. 1 thing you love about Buckner: major motor. He plays hard. He could have been taken relatively early last year, but came back and put an exclamation point on it.

5.) Jacksonville Jaguars

*Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida St.

The best player available here, Ramsey is a great corner or a great safety, a fit in any secondary given his skill set and incredible athleticism. Those athlete credentials? Well, consider that he's long-jumping at roughly an Olympic level in, essentially, a second sport that he really can't commit to full time. A worthy top-five talent in the secondary.

6.) Baltimore Ravens

*Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

In another year Stanley would be worthy to be the first offensive tackle taken, but Tunsil gets the nod in this class. Stanley was a gifted but inconsistent player last year, and he decided to go back, which is going to work out well for him. This year, the talent is still obvious, but he was better technically and it showed. Baltimore can't pass on a potential left tackle with Stanley's upside here given the state of the O-line, not to mention with Joe Flacco coming back from an injury.

7.) San Francisco 49ers

*Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

This is a spot where you can see quarterback coming into play -- or a number of positions given what happened to this roster over the last 12 months -- but if the 49ers decide to build around a QB currently on the roster with the hopes of being more competitive in 2016 (something starting a rookie QB won't help) then Treadwell could really help the offense. He has a ton of experience as a true No. 1 and against top defenses, and brings size, hands, physicality and potential for early returns.

8.) Miami Dolphins

*Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

Lawson led college football in tackles for loss with 25.5, and Miami should add another edge rusher because Olivier Vernon is about to become extremely expensive if he can even be kept around as an unrestricted free agent. Lawson is just extremely consistent in his ability to beat tackles and makes plays.

9.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

*Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

This is just a truly gifted cover man, with the ability to press or play off and really just mirror a pass-catcher all over the place. He's been doing it since he arrived in Gainesville. The Bucs do have a need at cornerback, but there isn't a team in the NFL who wouldn't want this kind of talent on the roster.

10.) New York Giants

*Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

I'll hear for the 100th time that the Giants don't draft linebackers in the first round. I'll point out that this is a good year to consider it, not just because they've had far too many draft misses in recent years, but because Jack isn't your classic downhill run-stuffer -- the guy can flat-out cover, and he epitomizes what teams need at least one of in 2016. He's a special talent and should be on their board.

11.) Chicago Bears

Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama

The Bears have a tradition of great linebackers in the middle, from Dick Butkus to Mike Singletary to Brian Urlacher -- who is coming for my hair. Ragland can be the next one, and not only can he be an immediate starter in the middle, he can do so with some system familiarity coming out of Nick Saban's 304 defense.

12.) New Orleans Saints

*A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama

The Saints really need to add another 3-4 defensive end and Robinson fits the bill. In fact, the 6-foot-3, 313-pounder is an immediate starter who combines great awareness and strength to make plays and hold the point in the run game, as well as the ability to push the pocket. There isn't a place where the Saints can go wrong adding talent on defense.

13.) Philadelphia Eagles

*Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss

Whether Nkemdiche is a great fit in Philly depends a little bit on what kind of system the new coaching staff will want to run, but with Cedric Thornton an unrestricted free agent, they'd be wise to add another talented piece to the D-line puzzle to take some pressure off Fletcher Cox, who has turned into an absolute star. Nkemdiche has that potential -- he's a top-5 talent, really -- but will need to maintain his focus off the field.

14. ) Oakland Raiders

*Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan St.

The Raiders have their quarterback of the future, but they could also lose a pair of tackles in free agency, and even then they'd be wise to get some immediate insurance out of the draft. Conklin has been a steady force on the MSU line for three years and is great at limiting pressure and also getting after it in the run game.

15.) Los Angeles Rams

*Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

The Rams are arguably at square one at the QB position, which is a shame given the talent elsewhere on the roster. Do I think Lynch is a Week 1 starter? Absolutely not. Do I think he has significant upside and would be a potential starter in Year 2 with a roster still on the rise? Sure. St. Louis will have their eyes open in free agency and the trade market for immediate help, but Lynch could be the future.

16.) Detroit Lions

Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama

Detroit's defense began to round into form during the second half of the season, but they were a mess early on as they adjusted to life without Ndamukong Suh, Reed is a player who makes you better against the run right away. He plays with leverage, can wreck running lanes along the interior of the D-line, and frees up others to make plays.

17.) Atlanta Falcons

*Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Shaq Lawson led the nation in tackles for loss, but Dodd was right there with him, No. 2 in the nation, and a constant presence in the backfield. The Falcons added pass-rush help with Vic Beasley last year, but is Beasley an every-down player? At 275 points, Dodd has the frame to hold up against the run and should help a D-line that lacks depth.

18.) Indianapolis Colts

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio St.

Suffice to say the Colts should come out of this draft with at least one offensive lineman capable of stepping in early. Decker has a ton of experience -- he could have entered the draft last year and landed late in Round 1 -- and could be your Week 1 starter at left tackle in Indy. Conklin is another option if Decker went off the board first.

19.) Buffalo Bills

*Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

Will there be a tandem under more pressure to see improvement out a defense than the Ryan brothers in Buffalo? It's probably not close. Allen is a get at this slot ; he's a versatile D-lineman with the frame to win with quickness on occasion but also push the pocket from the interior. The Bills are going to need to re-tool on the D-line even beyond the draft, and Allen would be a solid addition.

20.) New York Jets

*Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

By now, everyone knows that Smith suffered a knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl, and there's at least the possibility he won't play football in 2016. That said, I'm not exaggerating on the kid's behalf when I say he was arguably the best player in this entire draft. This front office will assess the risk, but they also have showed they like to take the best player available, and Smith is an absolute monster if he's back -- a Pro Bowl-caliber talent even if he loses half a step. It's a fluid situation, but it's mock 1.0 and I want to reflect his talent level.

21.) Washington Redskins

**Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Alexander has legit man-to-man coverage ability, but he needs technical work and is going to show some rough edges during his rookie year. But all cornerbacks do, and Alexander has a ton of upside. He's just a hair over 5-foot-10, so he's not a jump-ball winner, but he's powerful, and will make plays in coverage and attacking the line of scrimmage.

22.) Houston Texans

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St.

If you saw Wentz throwing it around in the SEC or Pac-12, you'd think he looked like a big-time QB prospect. At 6-foot-6 and nearly 235 pounds, he has a big arm, serious mobility and shows a willingness to be patient, move in the pocket, and keep his eyes down the field as things move around him. This is a guy who could be in the top-10 mix after the Senior Bowl and combine. Houston might end up thrilled if he's around this late.

23.) Minnesota Vikings

Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

The Vikings are moving indoors and Teddy Bridgewater has a chance to really take off. Do the Vikings want to pay Mike Wallace another $11.5 million to be a part of it? They have Stefon Diggs, but Doctson gives them another weapon, a guy who can stretch the field, win after the catch, and a reliable set of hands.

24.) Cincinnati Bengals

*Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

A.J. Green is locked up for a while, but both Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones are free agents, so the Bengals could be looking to add another weapon in the passing game to go with Green and Tyler Eifert. Fuller is a dynamo on the deep ball, and can make a cornerback look slow when the ball is in the air. He can be a weapon after the catch as well. The knock: needs more consistency with the hands. But he can help this team.

25.) Pittsburgh Steelers

*Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

The Steelers have been a mess on the back end for much of the season, and could add multiple cornerbacks in the draft. (Remember they will get back Senquez Golson, however.) Fuller comes from a line of NFL players (his brother is a cornerback for the Bears) and has tremendous talent. He missed much of 2015 after trying to play through a cartilage injury in his knee, but should be in great shape for the draft process.

26.) Seattle Seahawks

**Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St.

The next two guys to come off the board would also be worth considering, because age is now a concern on the interior of that defensive line, but a long, physical cornerback who is a fearless tackler is a great fit for Pete Carroll. Yes, the secondary is a strength in Seattle, but it's impossible to have too many corners who can play, and one injury changes the depth equation in a heartbeat.

27.) Green Bay Packers

*Austin Johnson, DT, Penn St.

Other guys got more of the attention on the defensive line for the Nittany Lions, but Johnson is the top prospect. Green Bay heads into an offseason where B.J. Raji will become an unrestricted free agent and turns 30 this summer. Some youthful talent on the interior of the line would be a good thing, and Johnson fits the bill.

28.) Kansas City Chiefs

*Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA

Clark is a powerful defensive tackle who can hold the point against a double team and keep linebackers roaming free, but will also flash some explosiveness and make plays in the backfield on his own -- and he can just out-muscle blockers one on one. The Chiefs could use more help for Dontari Poe, who happens to be entering the last year of his current deal in 2016.

29.) Denver Broncos

*Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St.

There's a good chance the Broncos will evolve into a team that truly wants to win with the run game in 2016, and while they do have some options on the roster, Elliott isn't just a great fit, he's also the best player on the board at this point. He has vision, runs behind his pads, can turn a small crease into a big gain, catches the ball with ease, and is one of the best blocking tailbacks I've ever seen.

30.) Arizona Cardinals

*Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

The Cardinals could use another pass-rusher, and Floyd has the explosiveness to be a special one. He has a lean frame, but he can get tackles off balance and is the kind of edge defender that can get quarterbacks to speed up their internal clock. I'd like to see him play a little more physical, but on a good team that is trying to protect leads, Floyd can help.

31.) Carolina Panthers

*Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma St.

For a physical freak who has improved in each year at Oklahoma State, this slot may look WAY too low in a couple of months. Ogbah is an awesome size/quickness combination and can also play a power game and push blockers backward. He's also shown he can play in space a little bit. He's be a great get this far down the board.

I don't have 'insider' where's he got him ranked?

I don't know. He's not on Kiper's top 25

1. *Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes

2. *Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

3. *Jalen Ramsey, CB/S, Florida State Seminoles

4. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon Ducks

5. *Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss Rebels

6.*Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis Tigers

7. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

8. *Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida Gators

9. *Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss Rebels

10. *Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears

11.*Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson Tigers
i

12. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide
i

13. Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide

14. *Myles Jack, LB, UCLA Bruins

15. *Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes

16. *Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA Bruins

17. *Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss Rebels

18. *Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech Hokies

19. *Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State Cowboys

20. *Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU Tigers

21. *Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State Spartans

22.**Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson Tigers

23. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State Buckeyes

24. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide

25. *Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State Buckeyes

& he's not in McShay's top 32

1. Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes*

2. Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State Seminoles*

3. Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida Gators*

4. Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss Rebels*

5. Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss Rebels*

6. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon Ducks

7. A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide*

8. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

9. Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State Spartans*

10. Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA Bruins*

11. Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson Tigers*

12. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide

13. Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide

14. Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss Rebels*

15. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes*

16. Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech Hokies*

17. Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears*

18. Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas Razorbacks*

19. Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville Cardinals

20. Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish*

21. Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State Buckeyes

22. Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State Buckeyes*

23. Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis Tigers*

24. Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU Tigers*

25. Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes*

26. Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama Crimson Tide*

27. Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson Tigers*

28. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor Bears*

29. Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State Spartans

30. Su'a Cravens, S, USC Trojans

31. Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia Bulldogs*

32. Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA Bruins*

Kiper and McShay do their mocks based on a projection of what they think will happen, not necessarily on what they would do.

So they often mock guys into a draft slot that they don't think is appropriate value because it's a move they could see the team try to make.

Kiper and McShay do their mocks based on a projection of what they think will happen, not necessarily on what they would do.

So they often mock guys into a draft slot that they don't think is appropriate value because it's a move they could see the team try to make.

Correct.

Not only does Kiper gives us Wentz at 22, but many here are also wanting to take him at 22.

I feel uneasy about that, because Wentz isn't rated any where near the 22nd best player. Feels like a big mistake & a "draft a QB to draft a QB" kind of thing.

Of course Kiper & McShay aren't the end all be all, or even real scouts... just guidelines. & the process is just getting started.

Correct.

Not only does Kiper gives us Wentz at 22, but many here are also wanting to take him at 22.

I feel uneasy about that, because Wentz isn't rated any where near the 22nd best player. Feels like a big mistake & a "draft a QB to draft a QB" kind of thing.

Of course Kiper & McShay aren't the end all be all, or even real scouts... just guidelines. & the process is just getting started.

Kipper and McShay respond to trends and groupthink. When Wentz starts trending up (and I believe he will) they will move him up the board and act like he was there the whole time.

To me, Goff and Wentz are the only QBs worth a first round pick. Taking either of them would be a win in my eyes. Taking anyone else would be "drafting a QB to draft a QB". I could stomach Coker or Lynch, but would prefer if we could move back to get them. Not sure how realistic that will be on draft day though.

Kipper and McShay respond to trends and groupthink. When Wentz starts trending up (and I believe he will) they will move him up the board and act like he was there the whole time.

Right. I understand, that's why I said, it's still early in the "process." Still, this list now is more or less unfiltered. For a guy who doesn't watch college football, surely you can understand my position.

To me, Goff and Wentz are the only QBs worth a first round pick. Taking either of them would be a win in my eyes. Taking anyone else would be "drafting a QB to draft a QB". I could stomach Coker or Lynch, but would prefer if we could move back to get them. Not sure how realistic that will be on draft day though.

This makes me feel better.

Correct.

He's currently ranked by CBS at #18 overall.

When guys Mayock, Brandt and Cosell start ranking their players then the group think will follow and spin it as part of the process.
Mayock changes his rankings as much as any draft guru.

Mayock changes his rankings as much as any draft guru.

In 2014 he was criticized for this, particularly dropping Teddy Bridgewater after his pro day.

Do you think he should be equally criticized if Wentz, Cook, or Coker start moving up from here?

His opinion was pretty much disregarded here, when he dropped Bridgewater. Should we disregard his opinion when Wentz, Cook, or Coker rise?

In 2014 he was criticized for this, particularly dropping Teddy Bridgewater after his pro day.

Do you think he should be equally criticized if Wentz, Cook, or Coker start moving up from here?

His opinion was pretty much disregarded here, when he dropped Bridgewater. Should we disregard his opinion when Wentz, Cook, or Coker rise?
I'm not critiquing Mayock. Just pointing out that he's not that different from Kiper or anyone else. He has an opinion. And it will change at times when people in the know whisper in his ear. That's the nature of the modern day draft guru.

I'm not critiquing Mayock. Just pointing out that he's not that different from Kiper or anyone else. He has an opinion. And it will change at times when people in the know whisper in his ear. That's the nature of the modern day draft guru.
For me there is a big difference, a strong difference. Mayock will go to East-West, Senior Bowls, watches a ton more video, front row seat the entire Combine and attends a lot of Pro days, has better contacts, works for NFL which allows him better access and can easily call every club and get general info on players. And yes Mayock will revise his list, what you find is many draftniks list will begin to look a like Mayock's, Brandt's and Cosell's. Mayock called the Texans out the moment they drafted Sam Montgomery.

2.0 Draft:

One thing I always need to remind myself about the draft: You can't overstate your perception of immediate needs. That's because while teams do factor in where the roster needs to be deeper and where clear holes exist, nobody assumes that even the top picks in the draft are going to just come in and plug holes from Day 1. The other reason I mention that is because teams are about to set off addressing needs in free agency, going after experienced players with actual NFL track records. Many of the best teams are able to largely bypass the free-agency process, but overall, it does allow teams to target needs and make the draft more about taking the best player at every turn -- which is how evaluators prefer to approach things.

So keep that in mind as you look through this second mock draft of the season. Need matters, but in many cases, it will also be something that changes between now and the end of April.

A player with an asterisk next to his name has a year of eligibility remaining. Two asterisks implies two years.

1. Tennessee Titans

*Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

The No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL draft could end up being directly tied to the No. 2 pick in the 2015 NFL draft. In short: The Titans have no choice but to improve their offensive line and do whatever they can to make sure Marcus Mariota is on the field for more than the 12 games he played as a rookie. Getting the offensive lineman with the highest upside in the draft is a good place to start.

2. Cleveland Browns

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State

We still have a couple of months to debate whether this will be Wentz or Jared Goff. But remember there's also the distinct possibility that Hue Jackson and the new front office aggressively pursue another QB in the trade market. I note that because regardless of whether the Browns draft a QB in this spot, it's almost certainly not their preference to start him in Week 1.

3. San Diego Chargers

If Tunsil is still available here, the Chargers would have a tough time passing on him, given the mess that has been their offensive line over the past few seasons. Buckner and Joey Bosa are going to grade out similarly, so it's more about preference and fit. That said, Buckner fits pretty much everywhere.

4. Dallas Cowboys

*Jared Goff, QB, California

This is going to be a fascinating situation. On one hand, the Dallas front office isn't the least bit delusional if they look at the roster with a healthy Tony Romo and believe they can compete for a playoff spot, which makes it harder to take a QB who might not see the field for a couple of years. But ... let's not forget that they need to upgrade the backup QB situation, period. That's what derailed them last season when Romo was out. Tough call, especially if Goff is the top QB on their board and he's available here.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

*Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State

The temptation to take Bosa here is probably strong, because both he and Ramsey would help defend the pass, one in coverage, the other by reducing the time any opposing QB can hang onto the ball. But with Dante Fowler Jr. coming back, they go with Ramsey, a gifted, versatile player who can play corner or safety.

6. Baltimore Ravens

*Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

At this point, a team that has multiple needs will find it hard to pass on Bosa, who is the best player on the board here. He comes in with the ability to immediately upgrade the pass rush, and unlike many rookies who can get after the passer, Bosa is also a dynamic run defender.

7. San Francisco 49ers

*Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

The 49ers had their linebacking corps diminished before the season even started in 2015, and Jack -- who will be 100 percent even though he's not a full workout participant at the NFL combine -- gives them immediate help as a gifted linebacker who can cover as well as a good safety.

8. Miami Dolphins

*Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

Adam Gase will be charged with getting Ryan Tannehill back on track, and getting a potentially elite tackle is a good way to aid in that process, as sacks have plagued Tannehill throughout his career thus far. Stanley returned to Notre Dame and made himself more NFL-ready. The Dolphins would benefit if he's available here.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

*Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

The best pure cover corner in the draft would benefit anyone, and the Bucs are in a division where they have to face Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Cam Newton six times a season. Tampa Bay needs a talent infusion at cornerback, and Hargreaves is going to grade out as a player who is ready to be on the field in Week 1.

10. New York Giants

*Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky

The departure of Jason Pierre-Paul is a likelihood, and that leaves the Giants extremely vulnerable to opposing passers if they don't find help in the pass rush. Spence comes with off-field concerns, but also the upside to be a major force as an edge-rusher. It'll be hard to pass on him at this point.

Noah Spence showed off his elite pass-rushing skills at the Senior Bowl after finishing his college career at Eastern Kentucky. AP Photo/David Stephenson

11. Chicago Bears

*Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

If Jaylon Smith didn't end his career at Notre Dame being carted off the field in the Fiesta Bowl, you're looking at a player who wouldn't be available here. If it's just about the tape, this is one of the top three or four players in the entire draft, a gifted sideline-to-sideline defender who can cover. The potential reward at a position of need makes him a great addition here.

12. New Orleans Saints

Sheldon Rankins, DL, Louisville

The Saints are in the midst of a rebuild on the defensive side of the ball, and Rankins can be unblockable when he's at his best, with exceptional quickness and the ability to make plays in the backfield from the interior. A stellar week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl secured his place in the top half of Round 1.

13. Philadelphia Eagles

*Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

Philadelphia has a need at tackle, and Conklin has been a consistent performer over the past three seasons and will be ready to contribute as a rookie. Adding him could help secure their immediate future at tackle with Lane Johnson signed for the long term.

14. Oakland Raiders

**Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

Cornerback is a major need for the Raiders, which should be addressed in free agency and the draft. Apple is going to deal with some growing pains because he needs to be better from a technical standpoint and not so reliant on his physical ability, but he has coveted above-average size and tremendous potential.

15. Los Angeles Rams

*Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

Plenty of people will want to see the Rams go after a quarterback at this spot, but with the top two quarterbacks already off the board in this scenario, they don't have the option of taking a clear immediate upgrade at that position. Treadwell is better than a consolation prize, a potential No. 1 wide receiver who might not work out like a track star but has tape that shows he can make an impact in Year 1.

16. Detroit Lions

Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama

The Lions need to add talent to the interior of the defensive line even if Haloti Ngata returns for another year (or more). Reed isn't going to get sacks, but he immediately upgrades the run defense and is the kind of player who makes everyone around him better because he's so hard to move and can occupy blockers.

17. Atlanta Falcons

*Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

While Vic Beasley flashed potential as a rookie, he wasn't a force consistently, and the Falcons can't go wrong adding more to the pass rush. Lawson is well-coached and has more size to stay on the field and hold up as a three-down defender in either a 3-4 or 4-3 look, thanks to a versatile skill set.

18. Indianapolis Colts

Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

Forget best player available and instead consider Kelly at this slot as best offensive lineman available. The Colts don't just need better protection for Andrew Luck in pass protection, they also have the opportunity to protect Luck through the ability to run the ball more consistently, and Kelly is going to help immediately in that regard.

19. Buffalo Bills

*Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Mario Williams is on the way out, and the difference between Buffalo being a playoff team or an also-ran is going to come from their ability to make major strides on the defensive side of the ball. Rex Ryan will get an NFL-ready defender who won't just make plays in the backfield as a pass-rusher, but also has the strength to defend the run and instincts to find the ball.

20. New York Jets

Last year, the Jets took the best player available in Round 1 when they nabbed Leonard Wlliams at No. 6 overall, and Ragland certainly qualifies as a BPA if he's still around at No. 20. A monster against the run, Ragland plays faster than he'll run at the combine because of great instincts. Draft him with the expectation you can start him in Week 1.

Reggie Ragland will join an NFL roster ready to contribute immediately after a great career at Alabama. AP Photo/Eric Gay

21. Washington Redskins

*A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama

The Redskins became a more physical team in the 2015 draft, and the addition of Robinson would continue that trend for a general manager who knows great teams are built in the trenches. Washington has an improved pass rush but they need to get younger on the defensive interior, and Robinson comes in ready to contribute.

22. Houston Texans

*Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

Arian Foster could be a cap casualty as he attempts to come back from a devastating injury, and Elliott can come in and provide a lot of what Foster has done so well -- a complete back who gets downhill and offers a consistent weapon in the passing game with great hands. Elliott is also an extraordinary blocker and a quarterback's best friend, whomever that QB is.

23. Minnesota Vikings

Cody Whitehair, OG, Kansas State

The Vikings need help at both tackle and guard, and while Whitehair played left tackle, I've had him listed as a future NFL guard for two years now. If he comes off the board in this range, an inevitable (and fair) comparison will be Zack Martin, who Dallas drafted in 2014 as a left tackle they immediately plugged in at guard with great results.

24. Cincinnati Bengals

Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

The Bengals could be doing some rebuilding in the secondary, but depending on how things shake out in free agency, they could also be looking for a No. 2 wide receiver opposite A.J. Green. Doctson is a burner with great ball skills. He's a weapon because of his speed without the ball and also with the ball in his hands; he can take short throws and turn them into long gains.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

*Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

The Pittsburgh secondary really held the defense back in 2015 and will be a big focus this offseason. Unfortunately, the Steelers can't win bidding wars in free agency because of the cap situation, so they need to add help in the draft and also hope that Senquez Golson comes back ready to provide an impact.

26. Seattle Seahawks

*Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss

If a player like Cody Whitehair is still available at this point, you could see the Seahawks looking to address an immediate need on the offensive line. If not, Nkemdiche is more than a consolation prize if he can stay focused and put major off-field questions to rest. He's a top-10 talent but could see his stock slip if teams don't trust him, especially in a draft that is loaded with future impact starters on the defensive line.

27. Green Bay Packers

*Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

The Packers need more weapons for Aaron Rodgers, but they do get Jordy Nelson back from injury and Henry offers a matchup threat as a big-bodied pass-catcher who can cause consistent matchup problems and get extra yardage after the catch. We're long past the point where we discount the idea of a tight end as a true weapon. Henry can help this offense.

28. Kansas City Chiefs

Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois

Another player who has risen on my board over the past month, Ward is a first-rounder because of his versatility as a lineman who can set the edge and also move inside. Ward has exceptional physical traits and is a high-ceiling talent because he's still just figuring things out and could be coached up into a truly special player.

29. Arizona Cardinals

*Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State

The Cardinals were fortunate that Dwight Freeney still had his spin move going into 2015, and they need to add more in the pass rush. Correa offers some of what we saw from a young Freeney as a quick-twitch edge rusher who can beat tackles with quickness and could be a useful situational pass-rusher early in his career for a team that needs to close out games as teams play catch-up throwing the ball. See the QB, get the QB.

30. Carolina Panthers

**Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

The Panthers were creative with their personnel at cornerback this past season; they reached the Super Bowl even with a number of injuries diminishing the secondary. Alexander needs coaching but, like Josh Norman, is a ferocious competitor with the potential for greatness. Repeat after me: Great teams can't have enough good cornerbacks.

31. Denver Broncos

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

The Broncos should be better along the offensive line in Year 2 of Gary Kubiak's tenure, and Decker is the kind of athlete and run-blocker who can thrive in Kubiak's system. The Broncos aren't going to be able to shop for starting tackles in free agency, given the type of talent they'll be attempting to retain, and Decker offers good value here.

• There will be only 31 picks in the first round in 2016, with New England's first-round pick forfeited.

Mods - Can we get a thread title change to Mel Kiper 2016 Mocks? I'll keep posting in this one, as not to clutter the forum with multiple mocks by Mel

I swear to god im blind but i didn't see Paxton Lynch?

Mel Kiper has Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott going to Texans
Feb 18, 2016

HOUSTON -- This is something sure to excite the Houston Texans' fan base -- at least the portion not concerned about the Texans failing to get a quarterback in the first round.

Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 2.0 has the Texans taking Ohio State running backEzekiel Elliott No. 22 overall. Running back is absolutely a position of need for the Texans, whether or not they bring back Arian Foster at a reduced salary. Even if Foster returns, the Texans need to prepare for the future at the position.

Foster's cap hit would be more than $9 million on his current contract. With his health deteriorating (he hasn't played a full season since 2012) and his age (he'll be 30 next season), the Texans can't keep him if he remains that expensive. They'd save $6.6 million by releasing him, but if he agrees to a pay cut they could keep him to bridge the gap.

Elliott produced against elite defenses in college. Here's more about Elliott from Houstonian and NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein:

"Elite combination of vision and decisiveness. Instinctive, short strider with instant reaction time. Has a bona fide jump-cut to elude penetration in the backfield and enough burst to elude chasers when he bounces runs to the outside. Able to change directions with no hesitation or wasted motion and is always headed forward. Has innate feel for developing blocks in space and is excellent at setting his blocks up and accelerating from behind them when the linebacker is trapped. When it’s gridlocked inside, finds yards on his own. Rocked up physique but still maintains loose hips for agility. Exceptional balance through contact and takes tacklers for a ride. Has a “come at me, bro!” mentality as a runner. Loves to end runs on his physical terms. Uses lead shoulder as a weapon, but plays with outstanding ball security. Looks to absolutely bludgeon defenders as a lead blocker and is often successful. Able pass catcher who adjusts to throws and can do something with it after the catch."

I really don't want to use a 1st on a RB but there are only 2-3 offensive skill players worthy of a 1st this year and Elliott is one of them so I would get over it.

Reactions: JB
I really don't want to use a 1st on a RB but there are only 2-3 offensive skill players worthy of a 1st this year and Elliott is one of them so I would get over it.
I would love to see the Texans get this kid, but I don't see him making it past the New York football Giants at 1.10.

I would love to see the Texans get this kid, but I don't see him making it past the New York football Giants at 1.10.

I tend to agree. Pretty much every fan and evaluator loves Elliott, but for some reason people think he will still be available at #22. I don't. He's not a Gurley-level talent, but he's miles better than Melvin Gordon, who went #15 last year.

Kiper 3.0 Mock Draft

1. Tennessee Titans

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

The top left tackle in the draft goes to a team where offensive line help is a must. I'm certain the Titans will continue to shop this pick, but it could be difficult to get a good offer.

Free-agency effect: As usual, free agency isn't exactly flush with offensive tackle help. The Titans can shop elsewhere knowing they have a tackle option here. While it's not a free-agency move, the addition of DeMarco Murray is another reminder the O-line should be a priority.

2. Cleveland Browns

I wouldn't rule out Cleveland taking a non-quarterback here and then getting one with the No. 32 pick, but Wentz would make sense here as a super physical talent at the position who Hue Jackson can develop.

Free-agency effect: Is there a QB in free agency clearly better than a healthy Josh McCown who they want to pay big dollars for? Right now I doubt the Browns make a splash there.

3. San Diego Chargers

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

The offensive line has been a major problem area going on a few years, and Stanley can be plugged in immediately. The Chargers need D-line help as well, but the draft is much deeper at that position.

Free-agency effect: If the Chargers find O-line help in free agency, it could shift the thinking here if they have players graded similarly.

4. Dallas Cowboys

A good combination of clear need and a really good player available. Buckner brings versatility and the ability to disrupt the pocket.

Free-agency effect: There are some decent pass-rushers in free agency, but the Cowboys don't have the cap space to win bidding wars.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State

If there's a debate among evaluators on Ramsey, it's whether he'll end up at cornerback or safety. I think a little patience with him at cornerback will go a long way. He has star potential. Jacksonville should be thrilled if he's available here.

Free-agency effect: The Jags have the money to get multiple players in free agency, and should target the secondary. But when it comes to the draft, I think they should be taking the best player available, period.

6. Baltimore Ravens

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

The Ravens need help in the secondary, which makes the guy coming off the board at No. 9 tempting, but it's hard to pass on a talent as complete as Bosa at this spot.

Free-agency effect: If Kelechi Osemele ends up somewhere else via free agency, the offensive line could be in play here, but the value is a question if Stanley is off the board.

7. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California

Even if Colin Kaepernick remains at quarterback I don't know if Goff would be out of the equation here. I think he could develop into something special for Chip Kelly and would provide insurance for Kap.

Free-agency effect: While a rebuilding team needs to be thinking "best player available" here, the 49ers have a lot of money to spend -- and needs all over -- so I do think priorities could shift.

8. Miami Dolphins

Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

A top-five player on my board, I think Jack could benefit any team in the league thanks to his skill set at linebacker and special ability to cover from that position.

Free-agency effect: The Dolphins could be in the market for a pass-rusher if Olivier Vernon is too expensive, and that could push a guy like Shaq Lawson up the board.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

No change here from the previous mock. Hargreaves is highly regarded throughout the league and could certainly be drafted before this point.

Free-agency effect: The Bucs could get secondary help in free agency, but Hargreaves at this point would be hard to pass up, too.

10. New York Giants

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

Even if Jason Pierre-Paul were to return, the Giants would be wise to add pass-rushing talent, and Lawson is a good fit here. Like JPP, he's also underrated as a complete defensive end in that he's good against the run.

Free-agency effect: The Giants do have some shopping to do, and if they add pass rush help perhaps this pick becomes a cornerback such as Hargreaves, if available.

11. Chicago Bears

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

The Bears did work on the interior of the defensive line in the 2015 draft, but they need pass-rushers and Floyd is a big-time upside play.

Free-agency effect: The Bears could have a tough time winning the services of a top pass-rusher in free agency given other areas where they need to spend money, which includes retaining talent. They want to build through the draft.

12. New Orleans Saints

A big man with the quickness to create havoc in the backfield working from the interior, Rankins is a guy you draft to get better on defense, period, and that's what the Saints need to do.

Free-agency effect: Given their cap squeeze, the Saints can't be too aggressive in free agency and need to add defenders in the draft.

13. Philadelphia Eagles

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

If you just go on tape and forget pure potential, you would put Conklin much closer to the No. 1 and No. 3 picks in this mock draft. The Eagles can't go wrong in drafting even a couple good offensive linemen.

Free-agency effect: Philadelphia won't solve O-line depth issues in free agency alone. The makeover is ongoing, but the Eagles need to add young O-line talent.

14. Oakland Raiders

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

A high-upside cornerback with size, Apple might deal with some growing pains, but he's an impressive combination of size, athleticism and natural gifts for the position.

Free-agency effect: The Raiders can throw their money around this offseason, but they need major work in the secondary, so they'll need to draft help here regardless.

15. Los Angeles Rams

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

The Rams might actually find an upgrade at QB in free agency, but even if they don't add one, they also need somebody to catch the ball. It's not often you can get the top pass-catching prospect in the draft at No. 15.

Free-agency effect: The list of free-agent wide receivers isn't exactly stacked, with the top guy certain to stay put, so the Rams are going to get one at some point.

16. Detroit Lions

A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama

The Lions improved defensively during the second half of the season, but "best interior defensive lineman" would be a solid strategy here; Robinson matches up as a value just on overall ability at this point, even if you forget the need.

Free-agency effect: I don't think the Lions can fix the D-line needs in free agency alone, especially if they spend money on an offensive tackle.

17. Atlanta Falcons

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

Nobody was better at the NFL combine, and Lee has plenty of good tape as well. An explosive, versatile player is a good value here, and Atlanta has a need for a playmaker at linebacker.

Free-agency effect: If the Falcons add a guy such as Danny Trevathan in free agency, Lee might not be the best pick for immediate help. If they don't add any pass rush help, you could see them go that direction.

18. Indianapolis Colts

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

I think "best offensive lineman available" would be a smart strategy here, and Decker would join former teammate Jack Mewhort. The Colts would obviously move him off left tackle, but he's a good athlete and could transition.

Free-agency effect: Indianapolis could go a few ways in free agency, and I'm not sure any of them would change the reality that young talent on the O-line is a priority.

19. Buffalo Bills

Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss

A special talent and incredible athlete at his size, Nkemdiche could play a big part in getting Rex (and Rob) Ryan's defense back to where it should be after an awful 2015. He's a character risk, but a top-five talent.

Free-agency effect: Buffalo is freeing up some cap money, but the Bills will have a tough time outbidding people for top talent. I wouldn't expect free agency to alter draft plans.

20. New York Jets

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

While I think Elliott could certainly qualify as "best player available" here, I'm not sure the Jets would take a running back this high. But that will be the question for every team, and Elliott sure would see the field for them.

Free-agency effect: Chris Ivory is likely to be gone, so even if it's not at this spot, I would expect the Jets to grab a running back at some point. I'll say this: If Ryan Fitzpatrick leaves, this is a dark horse spot for a QB.

21. Washington Redskins

Last year's draft was all about getting tougher and more physical on both sides of the ball. Ragland continues that trend, fills a need, and is ready to play. Solid value here.

Free-agency effect: I think the defensive line will be a bigger priority than linebacker in free agency.

22. Houston Texans

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

DeAndre Hopkins had 97 more targets than any other player on the Texans last season, and they need to find someone who can take some pressure off. Fuller is the No. 1 guy in this draft if you want to take the top off a defense.

Free-agency effect: Houston could add a wideout in free agency, but nobody available has quite the upside of Fuller. The real question is whether the Texans get a QB, and if that influences this pick.

23. Minnesota Vikings

Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

Stefon Diggs was a great value, and as they move indoors the Vikings need to add another weapon in the passing game. Doctson is great after the catch and would be a great fit in the offense.

Free-agency effect: The Vikings should spend money on the offensive line in free agency, but that could be a target here as well if they don't do enough.

24. Cincinnati Bengals

Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky

Secondary is an emerging need for the Bengals, and I also think they'd grab Fuller or Doctson here if they have high grades on either, but Spence is a potential stud in the pass rush and would be a good value here.

Free-agency effect: The depth of departures at wide receiver and in the secondary could shift the strategy for a "win now" team.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers

William Jackson III, CB, Houston

The Steelers are an improved secondary away from contending for a Super Bowl, and the addition of another young talent to go with (hopefully) a solid debut for Senquez Golson could help.

Free-agency effect: The Steelers won't have the flexibility to do much in free agency and will need to bolster the team through the draft.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Defensive line is going to be a need area, but Fuller becomes a value at this point, and the defensive line class in this draft is going to produce starters well into day three. Get the best player.

Free-agency effect: If Jeremy Lane departs this is a legit need area, so free agency will be something to watch.

27. Green Bay Packers

Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State

The Packers need weapons in the passing game, but with the top three wide receivers gone and a middling tight end class, getting a pass-rusher is never a bad option. Correa is an absolute blur off the edge.

Free-agency effect: If you know anything about the Packers, you know free agency isn't an area where they do much business. I doubt it changes anything with their draft strategy, in all seriousness.

28. Kansas City Chiefs

Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama

The Chiefs need to add impact talent on the interior of the defensive line, and I'm not sure there's a player who is consistently better stopping the run than Reed. He would be a good get here.

Free-agency effect: The Chiefs could see some turnover on defense, and I think they could draft heavily on that side regardless of what happens in free agency.

29. Arizona Cardinals

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE/OLB, Oklahoma State

The Cardinals need to add a pass-rusher -- look at how much they relied on Dwight Freeney late in the season -- and to get the supremely athletic Ogbah at this point would be rare in most years, but they could benefit from the glut of D-line talent in this class.

Free-agency effect: Nothing Arizona will be able to do in free agency will change the fact that it needs good young talent on the defensive line.

30. Carolina Panthers

Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State

The Panthers could look at either cornerback or safety here, but the way the board breaks in this instance getting the top safety would be a sensible value at No. 30.

Free-agency effect: Carolina is out of cap jail, but it won't exactly be winning bidding wars. If the Panthers get secondary help, maybe that pushes them toward a pass-rusher here. But it all depends on who is available.

31. Denver Broncos

Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

Spriggs is a great athlete who will need a little developmental work, but is the kind of guy who could thrive under Gary Kubiak in this system.

I can't imagine taking Fuller with Doctson still on the board.

He runs better routes, has better hands, and is all around just a more talented and versatile player. He might not run a 4.3 but he can still beat you deep too.

I can't imagine taking Fuller with Doctson still on the board.

He runs better routes, has better hands, and is all around just a more talented and versatile player. He might not run a 4.3 but he can still beat you deep too.

The fascination with "deep threats" is beyond me. We need a competent guy across from Hopkins. Does it help if he is fast? Absolutely. But he's of zero use if he can't catch or run routes. Hopkins does fine stretching the field by himself anyway because he dominates in 1-on-1 situations. We just needs a competent guy across from him who can take some of the coverage away from him. Having two guys like Hopkins and Doctson (who both dominate in contested situations) is a huge help to a QB.

There's a reason 'deep threat' players like Ted Ginn and Mike Wallace are on their 3rd/4th teams.

The fascination with "deep threats" is beyond me. We need a competent guy across from Hopkins. Does it help if he is fast? Absolutely. But he's of zero use if he can't catch or run routes. Hopkins does fine stretching the field by himself anyway because he dominates in 1-on-1 situations. We just needs a competent guy across from him who can take some of the coverage away from him. Having two guys like Hopkins and Doctson (who both dominate in contested situations) is a huge help to a QB.

There's a reason 'deep threat' players like Ted Ginn and Mike Wallace are on their 3rd/4th teams.

I want a guy to take the top off a defense. Being able to take the top off of a defense also makes it easier to run the ball. This is the reason that the Seahawks drafted Lockett, Cards drafted J.Brown/Nelson/Broncos signed E. Sanders/Ginn even opens things up for the Panthers although he has hands of stone.

I'm not sure I want Fuller at 22 though. at approx 54 sure. Fuller is a dangerous weapon and I can live with a few drops. (I like Doctson better than Fuller.) You know who else had a few drops? Rice/T.O./Andre Reed etc....

My mocking Docston #22 got some "why draft another Hopkins" and we already have Strong. Well I drool at having another Hopkins and Strong if he is real deal he can easily play slot.

I want a guy to take the top off a defense. Being able to take the top off of a defense also makes it easier to run the ball. This is the reason that the Seahawks drafted Lockett, Cards drafted J.Brown/Nelson/Broncos signed E. Sanders/Ginn even opens things up for the Panthers although he has hands of stone.

I'm not sure I want Fuller at 22 though. at approx 54 sure. Fuller is a dangerous weapon and I can live with a few drops. (I like Doctson better than Fuller.) You know who else had a few drops? Rice/T.O./Andre Reed etc....

Like I said. You definitely want speed. But you shouldn't draft based solely on speed and ignore football skills. That's how you end up with Ted Ginn instead of TY Hilton.

Lockett, Brown, Sanders, Hilton, etc. all run excellent routes and rarely drop the ball. Guys like Ginn, Torrey Smith, Harvin, Heyward-Bey, etc. don't run good routes and can't catch. Speed isn't the end all be all. You still have to be able to play football.

The fascination with "deep threats" is beyond me. We need a competent guy across from Hopkins. Does it help if he is fast? Absolutely. But he's of zero use if he can't catch or run routes.

We've still got Shorts.

I wouldn't mind adding a speed element, but not with our first. That said Fuller looked like a natural catcher at the combine.

We've still got Shorts.

I wouldn't mind adding a speed element, but not with our first. That said Fuller looked like a natural catcher at the combine.

It's a lot easier to catch when running drills in shorts. He still led all of college football in drops the last 2 years.

Wolverine i probably place a higher value on speed then you but not to the point of incompetence. The bottom line should always be can the guy play. That said, a legit deep threat would make Hopkins, the running game, and a te (a what?) more effective. Would i take another dhop? Of course. Would i take a guy just a little bit less dependable with 4.3 speed? Hell yeah.

I'm likely to say something disagreeable for most now but i'll say it anyway. Jacoby Jones wasn't good but he did have value. His threat deep rarely materialized but his speed did help to pull a safety and it effected our passing game positively. Obviously i want better production then what we got from him but more importantly i want to face a defense who KNOWS we can beat them deep on any play. What the hell is the point of having a strong armed qb if all our wr's run mid to low 4.5's?

Wolverine i probably place a higher value on speed then you but not to the point of incompetence. The bottom line should always be can the guy play. That said, a legit deep threat would make Hopkins, the running game, and a te (a what?) more effective. Would i take another dhop? Of course. Would i take a guy just a little bit less dependable with 4.3 speed? Hell yeah.

I'm likely to say something disagreeable for most now but i'll say it anyway. Jacoby Jones wasn't good but he did have value. His threat deep rarely materialized but his speed did help to pull a safety and it effected our passing game positively. Obviously i want better production then what we got from him but more importantly i want to face a defense who KNOWS we can beat them deep on any play. What the hell is the point of having a strong armed qb if all our wr's run mid to low 4.5's?

I place a great deal of importance on speed but not so much that I let it affect how I evaluate a guy's overall game. To be honest it's just a point of annoying contention for me at this point. I work in the industry and you have no idea how many guys place an incomprehensible amount of emphasis on straight line speed when compared to route running, football IQ, play strength, hands, etc. I scouted Phillip Dorsett for 2 years and literally all he could do was run fast. Everyone knew it and graded him accordingly. Then he went to the Combine and ran a 4.3 and all of a sudden these same scouts were putting 1st round grades on him. It's incomprehensible to me and it annoys the ever living hell out of me.

I don't hate Fuller and I do value the ability for a guy to stretch a defense but line up a guy like Fuller/Dorsett next to a guy like Doctson/Hopkins and I'll take the better receiver over the better athlete every single time. That's just my preference though. I probably take out my annoyance with the subject on some of the guys on this board tho lol.

As for having a strong armed QB and 4.5 receivers...you can still stretch a team deep if those guys can go up and get the ball.

The thing about "stretch the field" talk is how ridiculously low percentage of the time balls are thrown over 40 yds. The QBs/OCs who like to do it most will have a little more than 1 attempt a game.

The thing about "stretch the field" talk is how ridiculously low percentage of the time balls are thrown over 40 yds. The QBs/OCs who like to do it most will have a little more than 1 attempt a game.

Yet the good teams almost always have 1 burner on their team.

Personally, I hadn't gone over the whole mock paying attention to who was and was not available. I assumed Doctson was off the board.

I don't study tape or see college games like you guys do. Judging that Fuller is highly rated on the CBS Draft Scout board and that he brings a speed aspect that we haven't had here for a long time, he looks like a good prospect to me.

4.0 Draft:

1. Tennessee Titans

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss At this point, I think that while Jalen Ramsey is the type of talent you could consider here, the need to protect the face of the franchise wins out unless they find a way to trade out of this spot. The top left tackle in the draft goes to a team where offensive line help is a must. No change from the previous mock.

2. Cleveland Browns

He's not the top QB on my board, but this isn't a prospect ranking, it's a projection. The addition of Robert Griffin III does provide some added developmental insurance here so they don't have to start a rookie, and it also gives them a chance to wait on a QB pick if they really like one of the guys who could be around in Round 2.

3. San Diego Chargers

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State

I do think they could consider Ronnie Stanley here, but if it's about the best player available here, I think Ramsey has a good shot. I know there are concerns he'll face some developmental hurdles as a rookie, but all cornerbacks do, and Ramsey's ceiling is extremely high.

4. Dallas Cowboys

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

I don't think they should be out of the market for a quarterback this high, but it's hard to go wrong with the best pure pass-rusher in the draft. Bosa might not be the kind of freakish athlete you peg for a future 20-sack season, but he's a much better athlete than many give him credit for, and he'll be an early contributor who can stay on the field in any situation.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

Myles Jack, LB, UCLA

This guy just makes you better on the defensive side of the ball. The game comes so easy to him, and while we say it often, his ability to cover almost anyone with a legit linebacker frame is where it really stands out. Draft him and expect him to start right away.

6. Baltimore Ravens

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

The Ravens could go in a number of directions here, but this is a spot where Elliott starts to come into play for teams who want to stay strict to a "best player available" strategy. No question he'll benefit any team he lands with, including the Ravens.

7. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California

Sticking with this pick. Even if Colin Kaepernick remains at quarterback -- that feels less and less likely -- I don't know if Goff would be out of the equation here. Goff has some special traits that could help him get on the field pretty quickly if Chip Kelly can trust him with the offense.

8. Philadelphia Eagles (from Miami)

A steal at this point, Buckner would look pretty good on a defensive line with Fletcher Cox. Buckner has the ability to really control an offensive lineman and disrupt offenses, and his versatility makes him useful pretty much anywhere.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

I could see Stanley going as high as No. 3 overall, which makes him a reasonable value here. The Bucs did target offensive line help in last year's draft, but ceiling is a pretty big question mark, and they shouldn't make the same mistake the Colts did with Andrew Luck when it comes to building a solid group in front of their franchise talent.

10. New York Giants

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

The Giants could go a few different directions here, as their spending spree in free agency, particularly on defense, doesn't mean that adding a pass-rusher or cornerback is out of the question here. But Conklin can be plugged in immediately at right tackle, and could even battle for the starting job on the left side.

11. Chicago Bears

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

Sticking with the same pick here from the previous mock. The Bears did a nice job in free agency at inside linebacker, but Floyd is the edge defender who could really help early in passing downs.

12. New Orleans Saints

Another one I'm not changing from the previous mock. Rankins offers as much interior quickness as you're going to find in this draft, a class loaded with good interior defenders. More disruption from the defensive line is a recipe for a rebound for the Saints' defense.

13. Miami Dolphins (from Philadelphia)

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

Lee offers tremendous upside, and I think a smart defensive coordinator will find him extremely versatile. He's an explosive, blitzing threat who is great in space and will grow into an above-average coverage linebacker. Athletes like this are special, and Lee has the instincts to go with that raw ability.

14. Oakland Raiders

Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

The Raiders have done a lot of work in free agency to address the defensive side of the ball, but they need help at cornerback and could be tickled to find the best pure corner in the draft at this spot. Hargreaves lacks some measurables, but the tape doesn't lie.

15. Los Angeles Rams

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

Lynch needs a lot of development, but for a franchise desperate for a quarterback, he could be worth the bet. Could the Rams be one of the teams willing to move up for Goff or Wentz? It's not entirely out of the question.

16. Detroit Lions

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

The Lions have needs elsewhere, but getting the top wide receiver in the draft class at No. 16 overall is a good value. It's absurd to say Treadwell can replace Calvin Johnson -- nobody is doing that -- but he does give them length, strong hands and playmaking ability. They can get a good D-lineman in either of the next two rounds thanks to so much depth at the position.

Back