Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Matt Schaub 2007 expectations

I've seen this several times over the last few days, and it got me to thinking about how brutal our opening schedule was in 2006. Maybe with all of the news surrounding our team the last few days the schedule makers won't kill us out of the gate and give us a fighting chance for a good start this year. Please??? If I remember correctly, the schedule usually comes out 2-3 weeks after the spring owner's meetings.

Also, maybe the major changes we've made might actually garner us a prime-time game this season after all...I LOVE the night games!!!

If we're playing well by the Atlanta v Houston game, you can bet it will be a primetime game!

If we're playing well by the Atlanta v Houston game, you can bet it will be a primetime game!

why we haven't won many games...and i don't think we've ever won a primetime game in our history except for the first game?...why would nbc or espn want to give up a primetime slot for the texans vs the falcons...to the networks it's all about being able to create a huge level of interest in the game...maybe it's just me but vick vs schaub isn't that big of a deal since there was never a problem between the two

Win Standpoint:
I expect us to go 8-8. I feel like Carr could have led this team to 8-8 this upcoming year, and if he is indeed an upgrade than he should do the same.

Moral Victory Standpoint:
Beat the Titans at least once, beat the colts once, and sweep the jaguars. Why? Carr was able to take this team and beat the jaguars twice, he was able to dethrone the colts (with a great pass to setup the game winning field goal) and Schaub needs to prove that houston doesn't miss Vince Young by beating the Titans at least once.

Statwise:
Be top 5 in pass completion, our offense is built for that, thats why Carr led the nfl with it. Throw at least 20 touchdowns and throw less than 17 interceptions.

Why the high expectations? He has had his whole career in the west coast offense, he doesn't need time to grow, he has had two starts against nfl teams, he knows what the feeling is like, so I don't expect to wait for him to grow. If he fails, it'll be ok, we will be a top pick next season and be able to grow with Brian Brohm, or if after two seasons he fails we can pickup Colt Mccoy.

I don't hate Schaub, but I haven't fallen in love with him, its all on how he does, we gave up quite a bit for him, and we have pretty much set aside and given him the keys to the team, well, lets see what you got.

Carr wasnt able to beat those teams our DEFENSE did.If you remember didnt he have like negative yards in one game and 50-70 yards the following game.And why all the stats? Stats really dont mean diddly squat. Didnt carr have the highest qb rating for a couple of weeks? And thats because his passes went no further then 5-7 yards and we were still losing.

I guarantee he's going to have a better season than Carr.

i will guarantee it as well. the whole offense will be better. this so-called terrible line will look significantly better bc we have a QB who can shuffle in the pocket the right way, and make some plays under duress.

Carr was gun-shy, and we was never able to consistently burn defenses for blitzing. If Schaub has a quick trigger and can step up in the pocket and complete some passes for moderate yards, then defenses cant get away with blitzing on every down, therefore making it easier on the o-line to do their job. it will open so many things up not just in the passing attack, but in the ground game as well.

Honestly....

I expect us to make the play-offs next year...

I expect a 10 win season...

people have made predictions like that since the start of the '04 season. we have to remember to not be over-homeristic. i think we will be improved, but i dont see playoffs until we significantly beef up the defense. im talking about adding defenseive tackles that can be play-busters from the snap of the ball and can get up field, another starting corner with dunta, and a strong safety who can be a demon in run coverage, oh and a free safety.

were heading in the right direction with demeco, mario, and dunta, but lets face the facts. this team's leading sack producer was jason babin with 5 sacks. the team only forced 11 ints. we were 24th in the NFL in total defense. we were 29th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion % aaginst.

we can talk about schaub all day long. he will make this team better, but i cant see this team making a playoff push until these defense stats get better we need a better pass rusher at DT lined next to mario, we still need to get more takeaways, and make stops on third downs so that schaub can actually have a chance do so something with this offense.

were heading in the right direction with demeco, mario, and dunta, but lets face the facts. this team's leading sack producer was jason babin with 5 sacks. the team only forced 11 ints. we were 24th in the NFL in total defense. we were 29th in the NFL in 3rd down conversion % aaginst.

I just want to give you an idea of how bad the first 3 games were for the defense.

The last 13 games of the season, we averaged about 290 yards per game. If we had been able to do that the entire season, we would have had a top 10 defense. You add in the first 3 games of the season and that drops us to 24th. In those first three games, we gave up almost 500 yards per game. After that, our D really started to get it together.

Our defense has holes and needs improvement but it's not as bad as you might imagine. Like you said we need to improve our pass rush and we need to improve our secondary but we make a couple more good pickups and our defense could be scary next year.

This message board has made it a Carr=Loser, ABC=Winner, so with that in mind + the Kubiak is a QB guru ( Elway + Plummer = Guru, I don't think so but who am I ), I will have to say that with Leach, Green, & Dayne + Schaub that if we don't go 9 -7 then Kubiak & GM Smith need to go. I base this on what I saw last year, play calling that looked like Capers, O-line that looked like swinging gate, and a defense that looked like it never saw a long pass in it's life, coupled with no real sack threat. And anyone that says Schaub will need one year to acclimate himself is saying it's okay to lose, and it's not. This is year 6 and we still do not have a true starting LT, what the heck is going on? No GM, and no Coach is worth his paycheck if he let's this happen at all, and the Texans have allowed this for 6 years now. Talk Spencer all you want, he is still a 4 game rookie. I want to be optimistic, but realisticly speaking anything but a winning season ( 9-7 at least ) is a bad season and should be Kubiaks last year.

This message board has made it a Carr=Loser, ABC=Winner, so with that in mind + the Kubiak is a QB guru ( Elway + Plummer = Guru, I don't think so but who am I ), I will have to say that with Leach, Green, & Dayne + Schaub that if we don't go 9 -7 then Kubiak & GM Smith need to go. I base this on what I saw last year, play calling that looked like Capers, O-line that looked like swinging gate, and a defense that looked like it never saw a long pass in it's life, coupled with no real sack threat. And anyone that says Schaub will need one year to acclimate himself is saying it's okay to lose, and it's not. This is year 6 and we still do not have a true starting LT, what the heck is going on? No GM, and no Coach is worth his paycheck if he let's this happen at all, and the Texans have allowed this for 6 years now. Talk Spencer all you want, he is still a 4 game rookie. I want to be optimistic, but realisticly speaking anything but a winning season ( 9-7 at least ) is a bad season and should be Kubiaks last year.

Kubiak == QB guru because he worked with Steve Young and John Elway and then was able to get guys like Brian Griese and Jake Plummer to perform at a Pro Bowl level.

Spencer isn't a 4 game rookie... he's a 1 game rookie. We lost him early in the second game. Personally, I'm doubtful he comes back healthy and plays for us.

I expect a winning season next year. But I don't think Kubiak/Smith lose their jobs if we don't have a winning season. I think they are in danger of losing their jobs if we really tank but if we perform OK and have a so-so 7-9 or 8-8 season, I think they'll get one more year.

You'd be optimistic if you were saying that you expect a winning season and you expect Kubiak and Smith to keep their jobs. What you are saying is that you don't expect a winning season and if you get what you expect, you want Kubiak and Smith fired because, basically, you don't agree with the moves they've made to improve the team.

Back