Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mario oh Mario

I can buy that he's poorly coached but we're talking about a lot of money. Won't Arian be an UFA by then? Will the Texans fix the coaching issues in time to save Mario? I don't know about that right now. Clock's a-ticking and the dollars are burning.

You raise a good point and I'm 100% behind franchising Mario if need be. If it comes down to Mario vs Arian, than I'll take Arian every day and twice on Sunday. Foster has certainly earned a big contract, the same is debatable in Mario's case.

that last sentence could be applied to Jared Allen as well

I don't know how Jared Allen is an example of consistency - he has a tendency to disappear in some games entirely while blowing up in others.

Personally, I'd rather Mario over Allen. Allen benefits from a much stronger line than Williams has in Houston - put JA in a Texans uniform alongside the Texans' DL, and I don't think the guy merits a mention as a strong or elite DE.

I wasn't clear. I wish Mario played with Allen passion and edge. Mario doesn't have one. I also agree that Allen benefits from having the Williams' fatties. I am just sick of mediocrity up and down this team. I am by no means abandoning The Texans, I am just sick of another average season. I think we blew our wad early against Indy and WASH and we've been limp since then.

You raise a good point and I'm 100% behind franchising Mario if need be. If it comes down to Mario vs Arian, than I'll take Arian every day and twice on Sunday. Foster has certainly earned a big contract, the same is debatable in Mario's case.

This sounds a lot like what people were saying for Slaton, he has to put up more than one year to get paid...

I think the criticism of Mario comes from unrealistic expectations. While there's only one Reggie White in this world, Mario plays with a great blend of pass rush and run defense. His credentials reflect that.

I think the biggest hindrance of Mario is scheming. While Antonio Smith is a Mario-lite, he's a bad fit with Mario. Instead of signing Smith, the Texans should have gone with a true RDE and moved Mario over to the left side. The whole "2 big DE" experiement was an utter failure, IMO.

So, while he's not Dwight Freeney in the sack department, he's also not Dwight Freeney in the run defense department. He's really good at both, but not great at either.

I think the criticism of Mario comes from unrealistic expectations. While there's only one Reggie White in this world, Mario plays with a great blend of pass rush and run defense. His credentials reflect that.

I think the biggest hindrance of Mario is scheming. While Antonio Smith is a Mario-lite, he's a bad fit with Mario. Instead of signing Smith, the Texans should have gone with a true RDE and moved Mario over to the left side. The whole "2 big DE" experiement was an utter failure, IMO.

So, while he's not Dwight Freeney in the sack department, he's also not Dwight Freeney in the run defense department. He's really good at both, but not great at either.

I disagree somewhat. the guy is a stud surrounded by trash for the most part & this more than anything is what's holding him back from becoming the best DE in the league. He's on pace to record double digit sacks & if he does so, it will be his 3rd year in doing it in which 3 out of 5 years in the league he's produced this. The only 2 years he didn't do it was his rook year & last year .................. & he was hurt both years.

How many times have we seen him come within arm's length of grabbing the qb's arm for a sack fumble only to see the qb step up in a pocket that shouldn't even be there?

How many times has he had someone worth a damn opposite him for the O-line to be concerned with?

I'm amazed with some of the football iq's in these forums at times. Our secondary couldn't cover my grandma on a motorized scooter, & our LB/DB's "tackle" like they haven't ever played before, but lets talk about how sucky the only force on our d-line is b/c (insert lame excuse here).

I disagree somewhat.

No you don't. We're essentially saying the same thing. That's where I was going with Smith; his pass rush skills aren't enough to compliment Mario. He could use a pure pass rusher opposite him to push the QB his way more. That was one of my points.

I disagree somewhat. the guy is a stud surrounded by trash for the most part & this more than anything is what's holding him back from becoming the best DE in the league. He's on pace to record double digit sacks & if he does so, it will be his 3rd year in doing it in which 3 out of 5 years in the league he's produced this. The only 2 years he didn't do it was his rook year & last year .................. & he was hurt both years.

How many times have we seen him come within arm's length of grabbing the qb's arm for a sack fumble only to see the qb step up in a pocket that shouldn't even be there?

How many times has he had someone worth a damn opposite him for the O-line to be concerned with?

I'm amazed with some of the football iq's in these forums at times. Our secondary couldn't cover my grandma on a motorized scooter, & our LB/DB's "tackle" like they haven't ever played before, but lets talk about how sucky the only force on our d-line is b/c (insert lame excuse here).

Pretty much. The pocket should crumbled from the inside,yet when mario gets upfield, the qb just steps up. Thats why I've said for a long time, they need a pocket pusher and let okoye work off half a man. I also agree mario probably would be better on the left like starhan was with osi and put the speed guy on the right side. What posters also don't look at is how quick the wr get open because of poor cb and lb technique. They were talking about how quick romo was getting rid of the ball, then the following week, he was sacked alot and beat up. Go look at the roy williams play and the 2nd td to tutu of the chargers. There sin't a rush or blitz in the world that couldve gotten there quick enough. The wr was butt naked once the qb finished his drop. Perosnally, I would go get ron meeks from carolina,formely of the colts and just 1 gap and 2 deep in the back end to keep everything in front. If all mario and okoye had to do is rush the passer, they could be very,very good.

This sounds a lot like what people were saying for Slaton, he has to put up more than one year to get paid...

Having a good year is one thing, breaking franchise records and leading the league in virtually every rushing category is another. Arian has earned his pay as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, I'm not talking about an enormous amount, just something more fair. Foster is undoubtedly the most underpaid player in the league at the moment.

Having a good year is one thing, breaking franchise records and leading the league in virtually every rushing category is another. Arian has earned his pay as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, I'm not talking about an enormous amount, just something more fair. Foster is undoubtedly the most underpaid player in the league at the moment.

Deja vu...

Chris Johnson.

Well, I'm not the GM. I thought this was a board where we put out our random thoughts. What's with the jib? Incapable of being nice to people? Please don't maliciously summarize my posts so you can get your jollies off. This isn't the NSZ. Ok thanx. C'mon now wagonhed. I'm not trying to nor act like a GM.
it wasn't the nicest of posts, and I have no interest attacking you, I just think you're feelings for Mario are, well, dumb!

I mean, seriously, you're talking about how you don't want to resign him because we have a poor pass rush, but I just don't see how that makes any sense at all. It's your opinion, you're entitled to it regardless of what I think, but I would like to hear if you have a reasonable explanation for it.

I can buy that he's poorly coached but we're talking about a lot of money. Won't Arian be an UFA by then? Will the Texans fix the coaching issues in time to save Mario? I don't know about that right now. Clock's a-ticking and the dollars are burning.

thing is dude, premier DEs always cost a lot of money. teams spend big on big DEs regularly because they are freaking important. Mario is important to this team, if we think we can get rid of him and bring in another Antonio Smith who gets paid slightly less yet without a loss of production we are in for a serious, serious surprise.

thing is dude, premier DEs always cost a lot of money. teams spend big on big DEs regularly because they are freaking important. Mario is important to this team, if we think we can get rid of him and bring in another Antonio Smith who gets paid slightly less yet without a loss of production we are in for a serious, serious surprise.

Tact is something you should work on. I want to talk football. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted. You are calling a random fan out into a GM for saying something about the team and their failures. I don't want the GM job. I am the dude who's at his happiest screaming at the tv and rooting for the team in person every home game.

The thing is... Mario is another Antonio Smith (who is a fine football player!) who came out ahead in the Young/Bush media lovefest. As a result, he's going to have premiere teams build him his own Lamborghini dealership at his house. I don't see how we can afford to keep him.

Schaub's up, Foster's up, half the O-line corps will be up. JJ even. LB's are broken. All this around the time when Mario's up.

I firmly believe this was the year of Mario for Houston. Guess not. Oh well.

Pretty much. The pocket should crumbled from the inside,yet when mario gets upfield, the qb just steps up. Thats why I've said for a long time, they need a pocket pusher and let okoye work off half a man. I also agree mario probably would be better on the left like starhan was with osi and put the speed guy on the right side. What posters also don't look at is how quick the wr get open because of poor cb and lb technique. They were talking about how quick romo was getting rid of the ball, then the following week, he was sacked alot and beat up. Go look at the roy williams play and the 2nd td to tutu of the chargers. There sin't a rush or blitz in the world that couldve gotten there quick enough. The wr was butt naked once the qb finished his drop. Perosnally, I would go get ron meeks from carolina,formely of the colts and just 1 gap and 2 deep in the back end to keep everything in front. If all mario and okoye had to do is rush the passer, they could be very,very good.

Pretty much.

I don't think some are being fair to Mario, no DE is in backfield consistently EVERY GAME like some want him to be.

You guys have to remember when you have McCain out there who gets beat the first second of plays it's really nothing Mario can do.

Back