Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mario named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

I agree on how it is done and on the whole name recognitionthing but that is not what it is supposed to be, and to defend someone else going to the probowl by saying he has done more in his career is an extremely lame argument and basically states you have no real argument.
Mario didn't prove himself to be a Pro Bowler until too late in the season. Schobel's had a solid case to be a Pro Bowler for years.

Mario didn't prove himself to be a Pro Bowler until too late in the season. Schobel's had a solid case to be a Pro Bowler for years.

So Mario's AFC Defensive Player of the week award in week 1 didn't give any hint he might have a good season this year?

And Schobel being solid for YEARS means that despite being less productive than Mario THIS YEAR he should go ahead of Mario for THIS YEAR'S pro bowl?

Everyone should tell Mario to try the 1st half of the season, since that's all that seems to matter. Who needs stats when they are "too late". Thank God the Pro Bowl means nothing.

For years?

BUT HE SUCKS THIS YEAR compared to MARIO!!

I am glad you said until to late in the season because I thought the probowl was for the 2008 season not 2008 preseason + a few games.

out of the first 15 weeks, a houston player has been named D player of the week what like 4 times? Marlon, Mario, Demeco, and amobi i think....??? right??

pro bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest(any all star contest in all major sports).. I mean when you go through that.. does one google stats or name recognition?

thing is that Texans got very little exposure (true fact) and mario wasn't seen esp. on ESPiN and that the Texans haven't won much

For years?

BUT HE SUCKS THIS YEAR compared to MARIO!!

I am glad you said until to late in the season because I thought the probowl was for the 2008 season not 2008 preseason + a few games.
Mario didn't deserve to go until Schobel and co. already had a couple votes. After the Carolina game, he dropped off and he was inconsistent until around week 11 or so. Schobel, on the other hand, has been snubbed before and the players and coaches finally decided to let him in. Veterans always get in before young players.

Aaron Schobel considers the voting for the Pro Bowl this year a compliment, not a source of disappointment.
The fact the Bills’ star defensive end did not get picked to go to Hawaii was no surprise. His sack total is down from 14 in 2006 to 5 1/2 with two games to go.
However, Schobel said he was pleased to learn he was picked as a first alternate to the all-star game, regardless of his sack numbers.
“It’s always been a name game and a stat game,” Schobel said of the Pro Bowl voting, “and I’m honored to be first alternate considering my stats. . . . People still realize I’m a good player, regardless of whether I had five more sacks or two more sacks, or whatever it would have taken [to get voted in].”
Schobel was not on the radar in the fan portion of the Pro Bowl voting, which counts onethird toward the selections. So he got his support from the AFC’s players and coaches, whose votes count twothirds.
The Bills’ coaches say Schobel has been as consistent overall this year as he was last year, minus the sacks.
“I told Aaron that it’s a shame that a defensive end in today’s football is only measured by the number of sacks that he gets because he is playing good, solid football,” defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said. “He’s really playing good in the run game, which he didn’t do as well a year ago. He’s playing better this year in the run game than he did a year ago.”
Schobel ranks fourth on the team with 84 tackles, a pace that would put him slightly ahead of his total last year. He has forced five fumbles, up two from last year. He has six tackles for loss, up three from last year.
While Schobel has made more impact plays as the season has gone on, one can go down the list of games this season and find Schobel asserting his presence.
For instance: In the home game against the Jets, he smelled out a reverse to force a 2-yard loss and strung out several sweeps; he forced a fumble by Tony Romo in the fourth quarter against Dallas; against Baltimore, he chased down Musa Smith from behind for a third-down stop and recognized a throwback pass to the quarterback to force an incompletion in the end zone; he forced a fumble on the road against the Jets; he helped cause a safety in Miami; he had six hits on David Garrard in Jacksonville; he stopped the Jaguars’ Maurice Jones-Drew for a 6-yard loss on a fourth-down play; he had a sack on a third-and-goal play to force a field goal in Washington; he had a sack and a forced fumble at home against Miami.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/233224.html

Mario didn't deserve to go until Schobel and co. already had a couple votes. After the Carolina game, he dropped off and he was inconsistent until around week 11 or so. Schobel, on the other hand, has been snubbed before and the players and coaches finally decided to let him in. Veterans always get in before young players.

shouldn't it be considered on a full season? we can nitpick all day long on stats

Mario has played well for the last 4 weeks statwise

ok so now we are on if it it is a good person or stat person.. I think AJ should be there

bottom line is popularity contest
How can you say its a popularity contest when the fans didn't even come close to voting him in? Jason Taylor is the only guy who doesn't really deserve to go. No one on a winless team deserves any accolades; the Fins were still winless when voting ended.

shouldn't it be considered on a full season? we can nitpick all day long on stats

Mario has played well for the last 4 weeks statwise
It should be over a full season, but unfortunately, voting starts too early and ends too soon, so the previous season has to be taken into consideration.

Sorry, but totally disagree with you on that!

How can you say its a popularity contest when the fans didn't even come close to voting him in?

It is still a popularity contest regardless of how the fans voted. Are you assuming that coaches and players vote strictly on the players that they believe had the best performance? They couldn't possibly vote based on their personal biases or the name recognition of the players on which they vote. No, only fans would do that. Get real, man.

It should be over a full season, but unfortunately, voting starts too early and ends too soon, so the previous season has to be taken into consideration.

Voting shouldn't start until after the entire Week 1 games are over and shouldn't finish until after all of the Week 17 games are over.

I guess I never realized before that the ProBowl selections were made before the season was over. Now that I do, I really think it is a joke. I hope that the Commissioner changes that. I also, like his other idea of moving the ProBowl to the SuperBowl City and having it played on the Sunday before the SuperBowl as a sort of Kickoff to the SuperBowl Week.

It is still a popularity contest regardless of how the fans voted. Are you assuming that coaches and players vote strictly on the players that they believe had the best performance? They couldn't possibly vote based on their personal biases or the name recognition of the players on which they vote. No, only fans would do that. Get real, man.
So you're saying that the players and coaches voted on Schobel strictly because they liked him more? His status as a veteran had a lot to do with it. Veterans will ALWAYS get in before a young player.

Voting shouldn't start until after the entire Week 1 games are over and shouldn't finish until after all of the Week 17 games are over.

I guess I never realized before that the ProBowl selections were made before the season was over. Now that I do, I really think it is a joke. I hope that the Commissioner changes that. I also, like his other idea of moving the ProBowl to the SuperBowl City and having it played on the Sunday before the SuperBowl as a sort of Kickoff to the SuperBowl Week.
If I had my way, I would move voting from week 12 to week 17. If voting starts too early, popular players have an advantage because no one else has proven themselves to be Pro Bowl worthy yet.

Back