Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mammoth Lekkerkerker

Mistril48

Rookie
I found this on ESPN today. I hope it wasn't previously posted. Highlights mine.

"There was, as of May 14, a total of 442 free agent signings. Of that group, 343 players received signing bonuses, ranging from $500 to $25,000. Sixty-eight players received signing bonuses of at least $10,000. Fifteen players got $15,000 in upfront money and eight earned $20,000 or more. The Denver Broncos invested only $87,500 in signing bonuses but three of their six free agents each got $20,000 in upfront payments.

In all, teams spent slightly in excess of $2 million on signing bonuses for free agents. That is a modest increase over the 2003 total of $1.969 million.

From an individual standpoint, the big winner was offensive tackle Brad Lekkerkerker from the University of California-Davis, who received a $25,000 signing bonus from the Houston Texans. The mammoth Lekkerkerker (6-feet-7 and 317 pounds) is an intriguing guy who drew serious interest from nine teams.

Lekkerkerker didn't play any sports in high school and then spent the next four years working on the family farm before enrolling in college. He is raw and overaged, at 25, but a legitimate prospect. Agent Michael Vlaming noted that there was at least one other team that offered a $25,000 signing bonus, but that his client opted for the Texans because he felt they offered the best competitive opportunity.

"It was," acknowledged Vlaming early this week, "pretty hectic just trying to balance the phone calls from all the different teams."

The $25,000 signing bonus Lekkerkerker earned is actually more than five teams invested in signing bonuses for their entire free-agent classes. Some franchises, like Tennessee, are cap-strapped and, while signing lots of free agents, simply can't afford much upfront cash for undrafted players. The Titans signed 27 players but paid out just $18,500 in bonuses, including $2,500 to tailback Jarrett Payton, son of the late Walter Payton."

It's good to see that the Texans are prepared to go the extra mile (paying the biggest signing bonus to a rookie free agent) regardless how it turns out.

Nice post. I was curious about this guy, don't know much about him. Is he the one with all of the tattoos?

texan279 said:
Nice post. I was curious about this guy, don't know much about him. Is he the one with all of the tattoos?

No, he's the one with all the K's. :)

Good grief, can you imagine that guy trying to make a dinner reservation? Or rent a car? I think I'd use an alias.

Is he the one with all of the tattoos?

There may be more than one, but Babin has a bunch of tattoos.

babin_bruener_slideshow0517.jpg

I know Babin has tattoos, but my buddy was telling me that one of the undrafted free agents we signed who played offensive line with a lot of tattoos had signed on to do something with Pinto Ranch, but I don't think my buddy knew what he was talking about.

He's a good candidate to have a nickname..sheesh..it'll take the whole day just to pronounce his name.

He was one of two players that Gil Brandt seemed most surprised that wasn't drafted. His Dad died of cancer when he was nine, so he took over the chores on the dairy farm rather than playing football. He has a brother about the same size as him who plays LT and will graduate next year.

Farm boys are hard workers, not that others are not, but it is just the nature of the business. Early to rise and hauling things all day to keep the livestock alive breeds responsibility and a good work ethic. He has the size and hopefull he has the skills, or in this case the potential, to match.

I agree with most of you guys that Lekkerkekrekrerrrr (yes...that's how I pronounce his name...I can't wait to hear a color commentator try!) has some interesting potential.
I would like to see him go thru preason and if our line looks solid with out him...let him go to NFLE for a season to sharpen his skills. If the line is thin...throw him in there and let's see what he can do.

A Texan said:
He has a brother about the same size as him who plays LT and will graduate next year.

Maybe we should sign both of them. That way we'd have an excuse to just use their first names.... :)

Everybody keeps describing him as HUGE...good to remember that he's still about the same size as Wand. Having some of these colossal guys around can't be all bad if they keep developing.

Does anyone remember hearing any reports or comments on this guy during the coaching sessions or mini-camp?

To be honest I cant remember him ever being mentioned at all during the mini-camps. It sure would be nice to have some decent coverage of the TEXANS in the state of TEXAS!!!

They'll probably call him "Lek".

However, some other nicknames could be:

1) "The Milk Man"
2) "Country"
3) "Dairy Queen" (you better be prepared to run when you call him that :hehe: )
4) "The Wooly Mammoth"
5) "Brad"
6) "Rookie"
7) "Big Country"

I seriously doubt that he is a spoiled athlete. This guy knows what a real job is. Many of todays athletes have had it all given to them throughout their careers and when they reach this level they have lost all motivation. Here's hoping the best for him.

Back