Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lovie Smith new DC, u guys got any questions AMA

Maverick

Failure is not an option
I'm curios to see how he does focussed 100% on defense. But my motivation is almost 0, with Easterby still in the building.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I watched him here also (season ticket holder during Lovie's entire tenure). He was a total failure. I'll never forget Mariota's first ever game. Lovie's defense made him look like Joe Montana. All he was doing the entire game was throwing 10-15 yard slants for huge chunks of yards. Then there's the "You like that!" game. Kirk Cousins must have looked at that tape at halftime because he came out doing the same thing, mounting a huge comeback. Lovie could never make adjustments. The NFL game just outgrew him.

All Lovie could ever say during his pressers was "We are very, very disappointed". Every week ... the same thing.

I didn't even realize that he got fired from Illinois until I saw that the Texans hired him. Well, good luck with that.

Enjoy, I set in the stands through this debacle.

No we didn't "like that", thanks Lovie.

Riblet

Penthouse
I watch lovie lead the bears for years and years so I got all the scoop u need if u wanna ask q?s of me fire away ITT!
Do you think that Lovie will run the Tampa two? If so do you think that he will be able to get the results of being a top ten Defense with it? I have heard that you can hide a lot of weaknesses with a few strengths in that type of defense.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Was Frank Bush not available? This organization is a clown show from the top down. Coaching staff full of has beens and guys with almost zero experience. Either the front office shys away from proven coaching talent or can't entice anyone worth a damn to coach here. Guess I shouldn't expect anything more...

texanhead08

All Pro
Lovie's defense was good enough to carry a team with a crap offense to the Super Bowl. They also made it to another NFC Title game in his tenure. We need players on defense yesterday so if you think we go from trash to the the 85 bears in 3 months I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
I like Lovie. But it looks like they have put a bunch of squares into a hole. Nothing makes sense here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Great! I freaking hate bend but don’t break defenses.
Yeah, I don’t remember Urlacher or Brooks’ defense being bend don’t break. I think it depends on the Jimmy’s & Joes how aggressive the defense is going to be. The idea is to get pressure from the front four. Without that, your secondary will be exposed. But that’s nothing new to us.

Regardless of scheme you have to be able to pressure the QB.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
I watched him here also (season ticket holder during Lovie's entire tenure). He was a total failure. I'll never forget Mariota's first ever game. Lovie's defense made him look like Joe Montana. All he was doing the entire game was throwing 10-15 yard slants for huge chunks of yards. Then there's the "You like that!" game. Kirk Cousins must have looked at that tape at halftime because he came out doing the same thing, mounting a huge comeback. Lovie could never make adjustments. The NFL game just outgrew him.

All Lovie could ever say during his pressers was "We are very, very disappointed". Every week ... the same thing.

I didn't even realize that he got fired from Illinois until I saw that the Texans hired him. Well, good luck with that.

Enjoy, I set in the stands through this debacle.

No we didn't "like that", thanks Lovie.

I think Smith is one of those guys that for whatever reason can’t make the jump to head coach and be a unit coach at the same time.

His defensive philosophies are solid so hopefully just being DC will be a perfect fit for him.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
So, Lovie was an OK DC in his prime, but he's past his prime. If I remember his defense correctly, his worked when he had a front four that could bring pressure without having to blitz and an athletic/fast middle line backer who could get into the deep middle third of the field in zone. His defenses expect the offense to make mistakes and then capitalize on those mistakes.

This hire doesn't fill me with confidence.

LikeMike

Veteran
So are we staying at 3-4 or switching to.4-3? Will it be more of a bend don't break defense or Blitz heavy forcing turnovers? Is he good at developing young players?

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
He wasn't there as DC was he?
No, Lovie was the DC in St Louis from 2001-03. That’s the only time he was a DC. He was a linebackers coach here during the Dungy years before the Super Bowl run.

Technically, he was also the DC when he was the HC here. When he was here the knock on him was that his methods were outdated and he wasn’t up on the new NFL. After getting fired he went to Illinois as HC where he was fired there. Unless he reinvents himself I wouldn’t be too stoked about this hire.

This hire seems more like a crony hire to me. He’s close to the same age as Culley and I wouldn’t be surprised if they are long time friends, though I don’t know that.