Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Looking ahead to the Washington Redskins

gtexan02

Working?
So last night I watched the Dallas/Washington game and came to the conclusion that both of these teams are beatable.

Heres some interesting things to note about the Redskins:

1. McNabb looks out of sync with his new team. He was throwing passes off the dirt all night. His stat line was pretty dismal considering the hype that Shannahan's offense brought.

2. The new LT, 1st round pick Williams on the Redskins is the real deal. He's still a rookie, and Ware beat him a few times, but he's going to be a good player and will definitely be more challenging than whoever the Colts had.

3. The Redskins are good at defending the short, quick throws. Hall in particular was fantastic at jumping on the little quick outs from Romo to Bryant. We could exploit this with a nice fake.

4. Their run defense is better than the Colts. But it was still prone to giving up plays when the play calls were intelligent.

5. Haslett blitzes. A LOT. I was shocked at how often they brought the heat. Dallas never took advantage of this. Hopefully we'll throw over the top a few times to slow them down.

6. The Redskins defenders put 100% emphasis on stripping the ball. From an article on ESPN:

In the back corner of the Washington Redskins' locker room late Sunday night, a dry-erase board told part of the story. Someone had left three words for the defensive backs to remember as they took the field against the Dallas Cowboys: "Tackle and Strip."

And with the help of one of the most bone-headed play calls since Barry Switzer called "Load Left" against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Redskins' defense made its first signature play of the Mike Shanahan era in a heart-stopping 13-7 win over the Cowboys. New defensive coordinator Jim Haslett spent all of organized team activities and training camp placing emphasis on stripping the ball. He taped footballs to blocking dummies so that players could practice swiping at the ball as they made tackles.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/18196/redskins-strip-cowboys-of-dignity

If we can avoid turnovers and exploit the downfield passing attack, we should be in for a great game.

TexCanada

All Pro
I don't feel as though our offensive game plan changes too much here. Run the ball to set up the long pass.

I'm sure the 'Skins offense will improve a lot over the season. I imagine it will take some time, but they will get there. I think we are fortunate to play them early in the season rather then later. If our D-Line can get pressure like we did against the Colts then we will have no problems on D. Trent Williams is good, but he is still a rookie in his second NFL game. Go get him Mario.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think we will have good success with Walters and TEs seeing the ball a bit more to slow down the blitz. Also might see Slaton on the receiving end also. I think we are a 14 point favorite now.

gtexan02

Working?
I think we will have good success with Walters and TEs seeing the ball a bit more to slow down the blitz. Also might see Slaton on the receiving end also. I think we are a 14 point favorite now.
14 points? I'd take the Redskins. No way would Vegas give us that kind fo line. I think we'll win, but not by 2 TDs

The Redskins were blitzing all night long. Get the screens ready. Put Slaton in and let him go to work. I have a feeling that we will be able to ram the ball down their throat again. It will be interesting on what we do on our 2nd and short next game. Hopefully we have plenty of chances and we can roll out the play action pass and take deep shots down the field. There should be plenty of check offs and screens by the Texans, and when the Skins start respecting it, let Foster tear them a new one. We need to run the ball effectively. Overall though, if we can score we are going to win the game.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
14 points? I'd take the Redskins. No way would Vegas give us that kind fo line. I think we'll win, but not by 2 TDs
If Sunday night's Redskins show up then there is a real chance a double digit victory by the Texans. Simply did not have enough offense to stay with the Texans and the defense while okay is not dominating to regularly survive over the hill RBs and a blah WR core that McNabb is working.

The Vegas line will problably favor the Texans by one to three points. We can see for sure tommorrow.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dallas has showed no sign of an offense preseason through now. They look lost and confused. Coach Phillips looked dejected. Washington barely wins and you don't think we are 14 point favs? Why? I anticipate Schaub to make up for his stats against the 'skins and I expect a blowout. I antcipate at least two INTs by our defense. Not over reaching just feel very confident. Do not under rate our guys. The Colts game will be a huge confidence builder for team and even more so Gary Kubiak.

gtexan02

Working?
If Sunday night's Redskins show up then there is a real chance a double digit victory by the Texans. Simply did not have enough offense to stay with the Texans and the defense while okay is not dominating to regularly survive over the hill RBs and a blah WR core that McNabb is working.

The Vegas line will problably favor the Texans by one to three points. We can see for sure tommorrow.
The current line is 3 points according to ESPN.

A 14 point line is reserved for undefeated patriots playing lowly lions or something like that.

You don't see 2 TD blowouts in the NFL very often, and certainly not when Vegas is setting odds for an away game

Thorn

Dirty Old Man

A 14 point line is reserved for undefeated patriots playing lowly lions or something like that.

You don't see 2 TD blowouts in the NFL very often, and certainly not when Vegas is setting odds for an away game
I don't care if we beat them with a score of 2-0 on a safety as long as we win.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I thought this game was almost a two TD blowout and against a very good team. I don't think Washington could beat Colts if they were playing Sunday. I don't see what you see in that team.

gtexan02

Working?
I thought this game was almost a two TD blowout and against a very good team. I don't think Washington could beat Colts if they were playing Sunday. I don't see what you see in that team.
Mostly its just "Any Given Sunday"

The NFL is a pretty competitive league, the Redskins have always had a decent defense and Shannahan is a pretty good coach

Rey

I keep hearing that the Redskins will have some kind of insight as to how we wil call plays...

Two things..We have beaten a Shanny Sr. run team before, and Dennison is the O. Coordinator here. Of course we will still have some of that Zone flair to our game, but I do not think the Redskins will be able to predict our offensive gameplan like I have heard some talk about.

If anything, I see Kubiak being able to give some insight to the defense as to how Shanny jr. calls plays...

Rey

And I know this isn't a popular opinion...But Man....I'd love to make a trade for Haynesworth sometime in the next 24 hours...I seriously doubt the Skins would do that, but I'd love to have that fat Angry Man down in the middle of our D.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Actually, you do see 2 TD or more blowouts quite a lot, but Vegas is smart enough not to predict them unless it is a situation such as has been mentioned. The winning team just wants to burn clock and win (usually), but who cares so much by how much.

Stemp

Brew Master
Wow, big time homers over there. Refuse to see they don't match up well with us.

Plus, their hatred of Dallas spreads to us. Too bad they don't realize we hate them as much as more than they do.

I was not impressed at all with Washington. Fat Albert on the side pouting and the Washington Defense looked ok. I say if the Texans can runt he ball like they did yesterday, Washington is in for a long afternoon...

Some sound like they are banking on us having a let down game. They obviously did not watch our game. They look at the stats and see the 400 plus yards and 3 touchdowns. They fail to realize that Peyton passed 50 times. Gained a huge chunk of his yardage in garbage time, and if not for Schuab's Int and the last score when the game was over, the Colts could have very easily scored 10 points for the game. Peyton put up 30 against the Jets last year. The Texans had Manning laying on the ground in pain at the end of the game. He was feeling the heat a majority of his dropbacks as well. Im sorry but I dont see the confidence by beating a horrible Cowboys team and coming off such a sorry display of offensive football. Do they not realize that they did not score a touchdown against a line that the Texans previously destroyed a few weeks earlier. Im not saying we are going to win, but they act like we are the easy game. And it is laughable.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Signing up at ExtremeSkins (you can't use a free email, so I suggest using the ImaTexan ones). Those fans over there seem to think Mike and Kyle know Kubiak's ins and outs and that's why they will win. They forget that Kubiak beat Shanny in the regular season, and knows them probably better than they know him.

Stemp

Brew Master
They lost one of their starting DE's on Sunday, I think Trent can handle Super Mario- Advantage Skins
Their secondary is pretty poor, with one rookie out there, they also will be without Cushing at LB, our passing game should improve-Advantage Skins
Uhhh... Barwin wasn't a starter, Smith and Mario are and we got pressure before and after he went down.

Cushing was missing for the Colts as well. Our LB corp is pretty good and we played a lot of nickel against the Colts. Our secondary is young, but not poor.

They still don't have an answer for Foster, AJ, Schaub and OD. And we moved the ball well against the team they couldn't get a TD against.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Perused Extreme skins, they seem to think we'll be a push-over. I'm not too worried about the 'Skins except it feels like a trap game to me.

I'm willing to bet most posters here think we can beat them legitimately.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Perused Extremely Delusional 'Skins, they seem to think we'll be a push-over. I'm not too worried about the 'Skins except it feels like a trap game to me.

Fixed it for you.

After watching Boys v Skins neither team scares me and I really doubt there will be any complacency from our guys because it is up against the Shanny's.

C Madd

Waterboy
Perused Extreme skins, they seem to think we'll be a push-over. I'm not too worried about the 'Skins except it feels like a trap game to me.

Did they all not watch their first game?

I thought the Redskins had playoffs written all over them until I saw the game Monday night. I still think they will be the wild card team but I know if we play how we did on Sunday, we should win the game by 14+ points. The Colts are a ton better than the Redskins.

The Cowboys ran for about 5 yards a carry. They lost the game because of the inability to stick to the run. Im sorry but if your running the ball 5 yards a pop, you better run and run and run. Get some second and short chances and air the ball out occasionally to Jacoby and Andre via play action pass.

Donovan Mcnabb looked lost, there line is worse than the Colts so we should be able to get equally the amount of pressure if not more and if we can keep Mcnabb in that pocket then this game wont even be close. He has questionable accuracy and seems to be a bigger threat on the outside. Helps he has a bum ankle at the moment and the offense has not clicked. There running game up until the end of occasion was getting stuffed.

They thought the Cowboys run d was good. We gashed that as bad as we did Indy. Im ready for a beatdown. People forget Wash went 4-12 last year.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame

Yeah, I totally feel a trap game. This is where the Texans need to prove us....... well somewhat cynical Houston fans with much baggage - WRONG!

We need to go into DC and whoop that ass!! I know its a case of the master and the "groundhopper"..... I know this. The thing is, people forget that Kubiak is NOT a Shanahan.... He played under Dan Reeves which included Dan Reeves which also had the three amigos as it related to the passing game.... WOW, that's a pretty good pettigree...

Not to mention he's an Aggie, but I digress!! ;)

burro

probably drunk
lol redskins fans. let's look at some stats from the last night's game:

mcnabb: 15-31 (46.9%) for 171 yards and 0 tds.
portis: 18 runs for 63 yards

i think we can handle it.

michaelm

vox nihili
I appreciate the thought behind the thread, but we seriously need to shake this mentality.
The Texans record over the last three seasons has been better than the skins.

They're implementing a new system, with a new coach, a new QB, a group of over the hill running backs, an overpaid, under performing fat ass Dlineman, and a rookie starting left tackle.
The question should CLEARLY be: Are the skins up to OUR level?

PockyAF

Waterboy
No offense, but what the hell are you talking about?

Skimming through their first page of their main board and their NFL section, they have a couple of topics on the Texans. Most turning into a "hoo-rah Redskins! Championship! ******* [insert upcoming opponent]" or into a Cowboy hate fest thread.

There was only two threads about us that was actually being discussed seriously; and the majority of their fan-base was giving us props/respect:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?332285-If-I-m-the-Skins-I-m-very-afraid-of-the-Texans

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?332496-Vegas-Texans-Open-Up-as-3-Pt-Favorites-in-DC

I am interested in seeing what you're seeing though; just so I can see what they're saying that has them thinking we're a pushed-over team.

pbat488

gig 'em
Went over to Extremeskins as well and the edit kiwi made by adding delusional is completely accurate. Those guys make HT.com boards look like a scholarly debate.

Also, this game will be weird as it will be basically the same offenses except one going against a 3-4 and another against a 4-3.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
lol redskins fans. let's look at some stats from the last night's game:

mcnabb: 15-31 (46.9%) for 171 yards and 0 tds.
portis: 18 runs for 63 yards

i think we can handle it if we can handle indianapolis.
Hell Arian Foster by himself put up more yards than those two.

I'm only worried about the trap game aspect. Kubes has been pretty good against Big Shanny though.

We should really see what we are made of against a more normal NFL team. Indy isn't balanced and is really different than any other team by far. Hard to compare anything from them to any other franchise.

I just hope our guys in the ground attack aren't too sore.

Fosters Jersey was thrashed at the end of the game........

Stemp

Brew Master
They are really counting on their offensive improving A LOT in a week.
Plus they forget we have Smith and Mario as our bookends as they think Barwin was a starter.

Besides that, they had their Superbowl as well as the Cowboys are their rivals.

I think if we jump out to an early lead, we should win pretty handily

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
If we both play like we did last week, no contest. However, I've seen stranger things before. Besides that one video of Bill and the voo-doo chick from NOLA. Nothing gets stranger than that.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
I appreciate the thought behind the thread, but we seriously need to shake this mentality.

They're implementing a new system, with a new coach, a new QB, a group of over the hill running backs, an overpaid, under performing fat ass Dlineman, and a rookie starting left tackle.
I think he was being sarcastic with the thread title.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If we both play like we did last week, no contest. However, I've seen stranger things before. Besides that one video of Bill and the voo-doo chick from NOLA. Nothing gets stranger than that.
Wait! What???

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Alright, if that video means this bill... I need a link......

There is so much from New Orleans that I do NOT remember...... OUCH! :eek:

Miggsy

Tyrone Biggums
Went over to extremeskins with an open mind and was pretty disappointed. They sure seem to whine a lot and are a little delusional. We all saw how they won that game. Neither team deserved the win they both looked awful but all they want to talk about is how pundits won't respect their win. Give me a break.

I can understand a little homerism to that end but what puts them into the negative category as a fan base (although from certainly a small sample size) is their obvious lack of knowledge of their next opponent while still being supremely confident that we aren't a challenge to them.

Also the fact that they lump us in with the cowgirls just settles it. I don't like 'em.

Let's go get em this week. :strangle:

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Uhhh... Barwin wasn't a starter, Smith and Mario are and we got pressure before and after he went down.

Cushing was missing for the Colts as well. Our LB corp is pretty good and we played a lot of nickel against the Colts. Our secondary is young, but not poor.

They still don't have an answer for Foster, AJ, Schaub and OD. And we moved the ball well against the team they couldn't get a TD against.
Went over to extremeskins with an open mind and was pretty disappointed. They sure seem to whine a lot and are a little delusional. We all saw how they won that game. Neither team deserved the win they both looked awful but all they want to talk about is how pundits won't respect their win. Give me a break.

I can understand a little homerism to that end but what puts them into the negative category as a fan base (although from certainly a small sample size) is their obvious lack of knowledge of their next opponent while still being supremely confident that we aren't a challenge to them.

Also the fact that they lump us in with the cowgirls just settles it. I don't like 'em.

Let's go get em this week. :strangle:
/End homerism!!

That said, Kubes needs to go 2-0 against Shanahan!!!

Miggsy

Tyrone Biggums
Haha one of them just said they need to stop the run and force us to beat them in the air. Ummm... fine by us man! How do AJ, JJ, OD and KW sound to you? With the guy that had a top ten all time passing season last year?

These guys are jokers.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame

Saying Mario vs Treat WIlliams is their advantage says it all. Are you effin kidding me?

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Haha one of them just said they need to stop the run and force us to beat them in the air. Ummm... fine by us man! How do AJ, JJ, OD and KW sound to you? With the guy that had a top ten all time passing season last year?

These guys are jokers.
You serious? Do you have a link to the thread?

Hey, I was thinking the exact same thing. Good call.

I commented to someone that in watching the Skins, they look like the Texans in how they play. Someone said to me, "Don't you mean we look like them, since Kubiak learned under Shanahan?"

NO. They look like US. Shanahan is just getting started in DC. He has some work to do.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
No offense, but what the hell are you talking about?

Skimming through their first page of their main board and their NFL section, they have a couple of topics on the Texans. Most turning into a "hoo-rah Redskins! Championship! ******* [insert upcoming opponent]" or into a Cowboy hate fest thread.

There was only two threads about us that was actually being discussed seriously; and the majority of their fan-base was giving us props/respect:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?332285-If-I-m-the-Skins-I-m-very-afraid-of-the-Texans

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?332496-Vegas-Texans-Open-Up-as-3-Pt-Favorites-in-DC

I am interested in seeing what you're seeing though; just so I can see what they're saying that has them thinking we're a pushed-over team.
http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?332540-Trent-Williams-vs-Mario-Williams-predictions-(also-my-1-000th-post!!!)

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?332369-to-HELL-with-Houston!...200-Posts!!!

Miggsy

Tyrone Biggums
Although I will say that in some other threads they seem to be giving our offense more respect. Check the vegas odds thread for a balanced outside opinion.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
GB.... You're not really worried about this ass clown, are you?? What a freakin' ass joke....

WOW!! They beat the 'gurls!!! Impressive!!! :rolleyes:
I just HAD to comment, because that was one of the funniest things I've read. I've said what I wanted at the Redskins site and will watch the hilarity this week over there. I just don't know what they see in their team after that Cowboys game. It looked like two mediocre teams trying to see who could have the most mistakes and mental errors, but still win the game.