Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Looking ahead to the Washington Redskins

I find it funny that both Washington and Dallas fans point out how well their defenses played, completely ignoring the fact that both of their offenses were largely ineffective.

not many I grant you...

Mario
DeMeco
Owen Daniels
Eric Winston
Vonte Leach
Kevin Walter

Mario, DeMeco, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston.. all rookies.

But still all I'm saying is, we're a different team from the last time we played McNabb, and he's on a new team, with a new system. Granted we may under estimate them which I hope we don't, but if we do, I believe our offense can hang with their offense all game. IMO, I think we can get some quick points, and run the ball take some time off the clock. Foster can get first downs. He averaged 7 yards a carry, on 33 carries for crying out loud. lol I don't care what defense you're playing, Arian has the vision like Barry, and the one-cut agility like Terrell Davis, man it's scary.

Mario, DeMeco, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston.. all rookies.
but all starters; then and now. I grant you that we have better players around them compared to back then.

But still all I'm saying is, we're a different team from the last time we played McNabb, and he's on a new team, with a new system. Granted we may under estimate them which I hope we don't, but if we do, I believe our offense can hang with their offense all game.
How soon we forget. Last season we got our asses handed to us by a rookie QB (which McNabb is not) and a rookie coach (which Shanahan is not) "with a new system".

IMO, I think we can get some quick points, and run the ball take some time off the clock. Foster can get first downs. He averaged 7 yards a carry, on 33 carries for crying out loud. lol I don't care what defense you're playing, Arian has the vision like Barry, and the one-cut agility like Terrell Davis, man it's scary.

While I was impressed with Foster's performance, Washington's D-line is much beefier - and will therefore be harder to push around - than the Colts' D-line. That worries me. Our O-line has to root them out of their defensive lanes for our RBs to be effective. Remember on those few occasions that we saw Slaton, he was averaging 4-5 yds/carry too. So it was as much about the O-line man-handling the Colts as it was Foster's ability.

And, speaking of which, excuse me if I want to see Foster put up the kind of performance we enjoyed last week (or even close to it) for more than the one game before I start comparing him to Barry Sanders or Terrell Davis.

Again, I think we CAN and SHOULD win but I've seen my team suck against teams they were supposed to beat before.

Morning fellas. A lot to respond to, some of it will be very short since I'm responding to so much. But I am really enjoying this, it's a lot of fun.

Are Redskin fans really coming in here and talking smack? It's surreal. It's almost like they think they won't be handled next Sunday or something? :gathering:

For this comment and all like it: we both have reason to be confident and I am fully prepared to eat my words if we get a world-class beatdown, I just don't see it happening.

Welcome aboard. I thought you were making a lot of sense, and I was actually lulled into the impression that you were a true football fan, until I got to the bolded statements. You have very obviously not watched many Texans games, or know much about our team at all. Your 'skins have not faced a team with a dyanamic offense as ours since the triplett days.

Really? Because we didn't play and almost beat the most prolific offense in the NFL, the Saints, last year right? You obviously haven't watched very many Skins games.

And in comes the running game. Thats been the missing link for 3rd and shorts, extending drives, and efficiency in the redzone.

Last week it was all run. The passing game was out of sync. I am anxious to see both parts come together. It could be downright scary.

Totally agreed, if both your running game and passing game come together, it could be very scary.

Ok. I see you want to talk stats? The Texans were 10th in scoring offense last year. That includes being 30th in rushing yds per game. The 'skins were 26th in scoring last year, including 27th in rushing and 16th in passing.

Defensively the Texans were 17th in scoring defense to
Washingtons 18th. Houston was tied for 11th in rush defense, while Washington was 16th. The one advantage Washington had was in pass defense, where they were 10.6 yds per game better than the Texans.

And you have improved your team how?

I'm probably making excuses here, but our offense was straight crap last year. Between Jim Zorn's vanilla swinging gate bullsheet and Jason "Captain Mediocre" Campbell at the helm and a turnstyle OLine, we never had a chance.

We've vastly improved the OLine which will help open up the run game. We have a new, much better quarterback in McNabb. And we have the same stringent, tough defense.

Memo to Redskins fans the Cowboys SUCK!
:fans:

I think we're all in agreement here.

All week im sure Redskin fans were talking about how overrated the Cowboys were. The Redskins win and now the Cowboys are a great team that the Redskins beat. I am confused, which one is it?

It's both. The Cowboys are overrated in the sense that so many people had them going to the Super Bowl. They'll still make the playoffs, IMHO, but they won't get out of the first round.

IMO, I didn't see their game, but if they we're blitzing get ready for 5 step drop screens, and draws.

Personally, I think Arian is a good enough pass blocker to pick up the blitz but we need Owen to have a good game. Their safeties, IMO, can't cover Owen all night. Set the run up with some quick pass's.

I would definitely come out with play action, with Johnson deep or Jacoby across the middle with some space in between the safeties and LB's. Something that will put us in position with quick points. Because our run game will be much better in the second half against their 3-4 Defense. Arian will get 100+ but not more than 150+. Honestly, i think if we get in the 15 we can run the ball all the way in. Arian has proven that he can run the ball in the RZ.

McNabb isn't a great QB, but he's good enough to win a game if it comes down to him making the last play. We have to contain him in the scramble. Our pass defense I think will bend but not bust. A lot of man on the Corners, because we will probably have a LB spy most of the game.

Prolly Closer than my prediction And i'm going 10 point favor, Texans.

I'm with you except for the Jacoby part. He still isn't playing to the level we all expect from him. Everytime Schaub threw to him I was concerned for the bounce out of his hands for an interception.

I really do like McNabb, and by the end of this year I think he'll be tearing up defenses...but right now he's still getting into the swing of things so I don't see him getting lots of big yards/plays.

One great game.(Arian Foster) Had 97 yards and a TD against the Dolphins last year. 110 yards and 2 td's against the Pats last year. Come here with better ammo. Im sure you didn't watch the preseason either when he ran well against the Saints and Cowboys as well. Im confident Foster will put up well over a 100 yards if your run defense does not improve from what it looked like last week. Difference between the Cowboys and the Texans so far, if we find success in the run game, we are going to commit. Bring more men in the box and we will suck the safeties in and let Andre Johnson run by your corners. Im looking forward to Sunday.

so one other game over 100? Wow, that's amazing, that's PRO BOWL BABY! C'mon, man. Look, I'm not saying the guy isn't good. Both those other games you mentioned are very decent, but that's against teams that ranked 18th and 13th against the run respectively. Not exactly the Jets and Ravens.
However, I agree with you that if we don't sure up the run D, Foster could have a lot of fun on Sunday.
The difference so far? It's only been one game.
I'm also looking forward to Sunday very much. It's going to be a great great game.

If you really know the NFL, you'll know that going on last year's record/trends is not a good bet. Smith and Kubiak have had an overall mindset when acquiring new players: they have to be tough, smart and physical. It hasn't happened over night, but there are signs (even beyond last week's obvious domination of the LOS) that the Texans are reaching critical mass and turning into a real physical football team.

We can't expect Skins fans to know that kind of detailed stuff, but ya'll might be in for a big surprise next week if you think the Skins are the only ones who can play smashmouth ball. It'll be a good test for us, and it should be a great game.

I 100% agree with everything you said. Going off last year's trends is not a good bet, but neither is banking on a player's preseason performance.

We need to let the 'Skins fan thump his chest some more. After all, the 'Skins are the offseason champs for the last 10 or so years.

This has nothing to do with the offseason, thanks for playing.

Dumbass question, but no, he wasn't. Junior Seau was. Wasn't he a starter?? As I said, the defensive starters played.... Quit buying into BSPN and do some research. YOU seem like a cool enough guy, quit buying into the national media douche.baggery that most fans around the country buy into because of them.... I thought you were better than that.

How old is Junior Seau, like 50? Please. Again, the Pats defense was ranked 11th overall. Respectable, but it's not the Jets. When Foster goes off on a real run D, I'll be fully impressed.

The Cowboys played horrible, horrible, and horrible. That offensive display on Sunday night made me fall asleep. The defense was nothing amazing, it looked like two teams who were trying to lose a game. I think the Redskins will make the playoffs this year. There is a much bigger gap between the Skins and Texans offenses then the Skins and Texan's defenses. Most of your fans have not watched a Texan game this year or anything close to it. You will be surprised come Sunday. I see potential in the Skins because of the offensive system they run.

Our defense kept us in the game, they stifled what can be a very explosive offense. Our offense was off, but their defense was overwhelmed. I think all you guys that underestimate our defense will be surprised as well.

Morning fellas. A lot to respond to, some of it will be very short since I'm responding to so much. But I am really enjoying this, it's a lot of fun.

I think we're all in agreement here.

It's both. The Cowboys are overrated in the sense that so many people had them going to the Super Bowl. They'll still make the playoffs, IMHO, but they won't get out of the first round.

Thanks for joining us here.
I live in Jersey and have to deal with all the Eagles BS so when ya'll got McNabb all I could hope for is that ya'll trash them twice this year!
That being said-I really think that once McNabb gets in the groove of Shannys offense he'll be good to go and tear some teams up but...he's not there quite yet.

This should be a great game, could be a trap for both teams but one will win.

I'll be down there, hope the fans are better than the ones in Philly-they all suck and are rude to anyone who doesn't root for the Eagles.

You're comparing the (younger) McNabb team that had just went to the Super Bowl, with the current (older) McNabb team that went 4-12 last year? Mario and DeMeco were both rookies back then, too. Oh, and the Texans definitely didn't come out with any fire against the Jets last season.

McNabb wasn't on our team when we went 4-12, man. And he might be a little older, but he's still got what it takes to win football games. If you don't believe that, you're in for a shock on Sunday. We're a different team this year. New QB, new system, new coaching staff, new personnel. We're not the 4-12 team, but you guys can go on thinking that all you want.

That being said-I really think that once McNabb gets in the groove of Shannys offense he'll be good to go and tear some teams up but...he's not there quite yet.

This should be a great game, could be a trap for both teams but one will win.

I'll be down there, hope the fans are better than the ones in Philly-they all suck and are rude to anyone who doesn't root for the Eagles.

I think you're exactly right, McNabb can really succeed in this system once he gets comfortable, but it will take a little time, I agree.

Philly fans are the worst fans in the league, don't expect anything like that at Fed Ex. Just expect really high prices and long lines everywhere. I'm not saying there won't be some genuine jerks, but they're everywhere. Good luck, man.

Can't wait for Pollard to pick off the half back pass next week....

If the Texans play like they did against the Colts, there is ZERO chance of the Redskins being able to do anything about it. The D kept Peyton "the best QB in the game today" Manning on the ropes, how is McNabb in a new system with no weapons a threat? The O shoved the ball down the Colts throat, how will Redskins D stop Foster....AND Schaub/AJ/JJ/KW/OD/etc.....

This game is going to come down to whether or not the Texans feel like winning.

Can't wait for Pollard to pick off the half back pass next week....

If the Texans play like they did against the Colts, there is ZERO chance of the Redskins being able to do anything about it. The D kept Peyton "the best QB in the game today" Manning on the ropes, how is McNabb in a new system with no weapons a threat? The O shoved the ball down the Colts throat, how will Redskins D stop Foster....AND Schaub/AJ/JJ/KW/OD/etc.....

This game is going to come down to whether or not the Texans feel like winning.

You have every right to be confident, but don't you think ZERO chance is a little overboard? We have weapons, Cooley and Moss mainly, but McNabb is better than you think he is. And if you want to go by your performance last week, who did anything in the passing game? No one. But I know, you didn't have to. But here's a newsflash for you, no one runs for over 200 yards on an NFC East team. Not gonna happen.

It's that Joey Galloway that has me concerned. :user: I mean, I wish we could have a #2 like that... Screw JJ or Walter!!!

And I would take Cooley 7 times a week and twice on Sunday over Owen Daniels. :rolleyes:

Vince likes Cooley's package though:

chriscooley.jpg

:ahhaha:

You have every right to be confident, but don't you think ZERO chance is a little overboard? We have weapons, Cooley and Moss mainly, but McNabb is better than you think he is. And if you want to go by your performance last week, who did anything in the passing game? No one. But I know, you didn't have to. But here's a newsflash for you, no one runs for over 200 yards on an NFC East team. Not gonna happen.

If the Texans play how they played this Sunday, the Redskins have NO CHANCE. What gives you confidence that McNabb will play well? New system for him, you played against a very overrated Cowboy defense and your offense only put two field goals on the board. You gave up 5 yards a pop against the cowboys running game, the same running game that we constantly dominated a few weeks earlier.

I dont think we will run for 200 yards, games like last week are few and far between. One thing that you should be worried about in future though is the ZBS of Shanahan. Its apparent that it doesnt work like it used to, and Im so glad that we are differing away from it this year.

The prophet Alex Gibbs was basically run out of Seattle, and i just dont think it has a place anymore in the NFL. Watching the Sunday Nights game, you were really struggling at establishing the run with the ZBS. Also, since im not too familiar with your WR, are any of them good blockers? Santana Moss seems too little for me. Thats really key in that type of offense. KW, AJ are both excellent blockers.

Probably not, but your vaunted defense did give up over 100 on the ground to the cowgurls and their shambles of an OL. And your great OL helped produce a whopping 89 yds rushing. Tell us again how vastly improved your team is this year...:rolleyes:

If the Texans play how they played this Sunday, the Redskins have NO CHANCE. What gives you confidence that McNabb will play well? New system for him, you played against a very overrated Cowboy defense and your offense only put two field goals on the board. You gave up 5 yards a pop against the cowboys running game, the same running game that we constantly dominated a few weeks earlier.

McNabb himself gives me confidence. The guy is 4th in wins among active QBs. He's a future first ballot HoFer.

And I already admitted our run D has to step it up from last week's performance. But, and this is just my opinion, dominating them in the preseason is different from dominating them in the regular season.

I dont think we will run for 200 yards, games like last week are few and far between. One thing that you should be worried about in future though is the ZBS of Shanahan. Its apparent that it doesnt work like it used to, and Im so glad that we are differing away from it this year.

The prophet Alex Gibbs was basically run out of Seattle, and i just dont think it has a place anymore in the NFL. Watching the Sunday Nights game, you were really struggling at establishing the run with the ZBS. Also, since im not too familiar with your WR, are any of them good blockers? Santana Moss seems too little for me. Thats really key in that type of offense. KW, AJ are both excellent blockers.

All extremely valid points. But I don't think the game has passed Shanahan by yet. Moss, for his size is a good blocker, but everyone else is average or below. Except Cooley, he's a great blocker.

Probably not, but your vaunted defense did give up over 100 on the ground to the cowgurls and their shambles of an OL. And your great OL helped produce a whopping 89 yds rushing. Tell us again how vastly improved your team is this year...:rolleyes:

Also valid points. Did you see how constantly out of position Haynesworth was all night long? I was so mad, we should have dominated the LOS. I'm not getting discouraged, it was only the first game, you know?

if they are thinking that ... they lose, flat out.

your RB is off the street and had ONE good game ... sure he had few last year, in trash time, but c'mon.

after Johnson your WR are NOTHING to brag about, i see A SLIGHT advantage there.

Our TE''s are better ... flat out.

don't know about your LB's but Fletcher and Orakpo make me think we are better there.

Are you corners better than Hall and Rodgers? not sure ...don't think so.

and also ... don't even try to say that kubiak is a better coach than shanahan. don't.

Kyle is probably better than your OC and i'm sure haslett is better than your DC.

.........A Redskins opinion

Anyone else have opinions on these comments? I like to read other fan's opinions.

All extremely valid points. But I don't think the game has passed Shanahan by yet. Moss, for his size is a good blocker, but everyone else is average or below. Except Cooley, he's a great blocker.

Also valid points. Did you see how constantly out of position Haynesworth was all night long? I was so mad, we should have dominated the LOS. I'm not getting discouraged, it was only the first game, you know?

Yeah, it must be terribly frustrating for the fans having to deal with the Fat Albert debacle. He clearly does not want to be there, and is going to do nothing but bring that team down. Shanny needs to boot his out in a hurry.

While I am thrilled we beat the Colts, I am not as confident as others here. I like our chances and think we will win but it will not be easy. McNabb is hard to contain and we have a poor track record against scrambling QB's (i.e. VY). I also don't think it will take McNabb very long to pick up Shanny's offense but it won't happen overnight so I am glad we are playing you guys early.

Here's to a good hard-fought game and no injuries :fans:

While I am thrilled we beat the Colts, I am not as confident as others here. I like our chances and think we will win but it will not be easy. McNabb is hard to contain and we have a poor track record against scrambling QB's (i.e. VY). I also don't think it will take McNabb very long to pick up Shanny's offense but it won't happen overnight so I am glad we are playing you guys early.

That is what we all hope for.

your RB is off the street and had ONE good game ... sure he had few last year, in trash time, but c'mon.

after Johnson your WR are NOTHING to brag about, i see A SLIGHT advantage there.

don't know about your LB's but Fletcher and Orakpo make me think we are better there.

and also ... don't even try to say that kubiak is a better coach than shanahan. don't.

Kyle is probably better than your OC and i'm sure haslett is better than your DC.

Anyone else have opinions on these comments? I like to read other fan's opinions.

Was that a stand-up comedian's monologue??? That's some ridiculously funny shite right there. :lol:

McNabb himself gives me confidence. The guy is 4th in wins among active QBs. He's a future first ballot HoFer.

And I already admitted our run D has to step it up from last week's performance. But, and this is just my opinion, dominating them in the preseason is different from dominating them in the regular season.

First Ballot Hall of famer....ehhhh maybe. We will have a better running game than the Cowboys. I agree about dominating in the preseason and regular season being different, but the thing that you do notice is that the Texans have been winning the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Mario Williams may be the best all around DE in football. Antonio Smith is a monster down low and our linebackers are top notch. Would have been nice to have Cushing in this game. Cant wait until we get the big guy back week 5. We will get that much better.

Yeah, it must be terribly frustrating for the fans having to deal with the Fat Albert debacle. He clearly does not want to be there, and is going to do nothing but bring that team down. Shanny needs to boot his out in a hurry.

It is, man. You can't deny the guy has talent and we're a better team with him on the field, but at what price? The guy is a cancer. But for the time being, he seems to be keeping his cheeseburger-lovin mouth shut, so as long as that keeps up, keep him on the field. We trust Shanny knows what he's doing.

I am also glad we're playing you guys early, before you can really establish a rhythm. Last week could be the start of something great for you guys, but I'd rather face you now than week 8 with a full head of steam.

Here's to no injuries and a great game, as well. :toast2:

Your 'pooter must be screwing up bad this morning...

I am also glad we're playing you guys early, before you can really establish a rhythm. Last week could be the start of something great for you guys, but I'd rather face you now than week 8 with a full head of steam.

Here's to no injuries and a great game, as well. :toast2:

I love me some Houston Texans, but until they learn what the word "Consistency" means, us Texan fans will always be on pins and needles before games.

But yeah, hopefully it's a good game with NO INJURIES for anyone.

Haslett? We are talking about the former Rams head coach fired and replaced by a defensive guru from the Giants. And wasnt he also out of football last year? And no, the UFL doesnt count, because JP Losman is not my QB. I dont get why he is that good all of a sudden.

I love me some Houston Texans, but until they learn what the word "Consistency" means, us Texan fans will always be on pins and needles before games.

But yeah, hopefully it's a good game with NO INJURIES for anyone.

This is exactly how I feel, Thorn, couldn't agree more. I think several here are setting themselves up for major disappointment if we were to lose. Do I think we have the better team? Absolutely. Do I think we'll play like the better team in DC? No clue.

McNabb wasn't on our team when we went 4-12, man. And he might be a little older, but he's still got what it takes to win football games. If you don't believe that, you're in for a shock on Sunday. We're a different team this year. New QB, new system, new coaching staff, new personnel. We're not the 4-12 team, but you guys can go on thinking that all you want.

This is exactly the point. You're installing all of these new things and it showed on Sunday. Kubiak's system has been installed in Houston for three seasons, going into the fourth now.

Haslett? We are talking about the former Rams head coach fired and replaced by a defensive guru from the Giants. And wasnt he also out of football last year? And no, the UFL doesnt count, because JP Losman is not my QB. I dont get why he is that good all of a sudden.

He is good because the Cowboys can't convert in the redzone and don't commit to the run. Welcome to the Houston Texan offense Washington. Good luck, because it will be far better than what you saw a week ago. I feel like Dallas has the talent but they are not performing. It was not the defense. We should be able to give Matt enough time to do what he wants in passing situations.

I think you're exactly right, McNabb can really succeed in this system once he gets comfortable, but it will take a little time, I agree.

If Kyle has learned his lessons well from Kubiak, McNabb might well get a new lease on life. Kubes' passing attack is so well designed that even though Schaub's arm strength is only on the high side of average, he can lead the league in passing. Obviously it helps that Matt is accurate and smart, and that he's got AJ and Owen Daniels, but Kubiak knows his passing attack. If McNabb will buy in to the system he should do well.

Here's for being honest.... the Texans SHOULD absolutely crush the Skins if they play at the level they did last week.

Talent-for-talent, the Texans actually have an edge.

Schaub vs. McNabb? - I hope last week wasn't supposed to be a confidence booster for McNabb. Schaub has been much better over the last several seasons and the Texans have a better WR/TE corps. We don't know if Schaub could have pulled out of his "slump" in the 2nd half, but McNabb had 4 quarters to show something.

Texans O-Line vs. Skins D-Line? - The Texans looked fantastic against the Colts, but the Skins have a better line. That said, Haynesworth is a liability at this point as he has no desire to be an NT. The Skins were playing replacement players on the Cowboys O-Line and it showed.

Texans D-Line vs. Skins O-Line? - McNabb is the best advantage the Skins have here. He's much more elusive than Manning, but his line isn't as good. The Texans had constant pressure on Manning (who had a spectacular day), but McNabb doesn't release the ball nearly as quickly, and he's been known to scramble INTO pressure.

Special Teams? - Both have great potential, but haven't really exploded yet this season.

Intangibles? - Will little Shanny have an advantage against the Texans Defense? Will the Texans have an advantage on Shanny's Offense? Will the Texans or the Skins have a massive letdown form their emotional wins?

Conclusion: The Texans can have an "off" game and still win. (They can't, however, just "show up" and expect a victory.)The Redskins will have to either need turnovers or get a stellar performance to get the "W".

...can't wait till Sunday!

Reactions: Rey
I believe Houston was #11 in Scoring offense in 2009. Am I off there too?

Like I said, I am talking about points, not how much yardage the Texans will rack up.

If we're going strictly off of what happened last year, then the Skins have no chance at all.

I think we've improved, and I think you guys have too.

I just don't think you all are as good as us. Of course that's JMO, but iiwii.

I love it. Ignorance is bliss. And obviously this guy is happy as a pig in mud.

Conclusion: The Texans can have an "off" game and still win. (They can't, however, just "show up" and expect a victory.)The Redskins will have to either need turnovers or get a stellar performance to get the "W".

...can't wait till Sunday!

That pretty much sums it up for me...

Good post.

I love it. Ignorance is bliss. And obviously this guy is happy as a pig in mud.
Lets not get mean. Be classy guys. What it comes down to, is that the Texans have not had any national attention, so the redskins fans have no clue about our guys.

Lets not get mean. Be classy guys. What it comes down to, is that the Texans have not had any national attention, so the redskins fans have no clue about our guys.

Nothing mean about what I said. I was telling the truth. Very ignorant statement made by some Redskins fan.

I could care less about the national attention the Texans have gotten...I know enough about every NFL team to not make ignorant comments despite their media coverage...If you don't know something, don't speak on it...Otherwise you'll probably get called out..

Those are not ignorant comments to you?

Owen Daniels is still recovering from his ACL tear. Chris Cooley is no chump. I don't think its an easy decision between the two.

OD at the peak of his game is superior to Cooley IMO, but I believe they are both quite talented

This is a very good post by a 'skins blogger featuring Steph Stradley. GB, maybe you could post it on their board and maybe some of them will get a bit of an education.

Owen Daniels is still recovering from his ACL tear. Chris Cooley is no chump. I don't think its an easy decision between the two.

OD at the peak of his game is superior to Cooley IMO, but I believe they are both quite talented

I can understand saying that you think it's a draw but for them to say that their TE group (not just Cooley vs. OD) is better than our TE group just seems crazy to me...

At best I can understand someone saying it's a draw...

You are aware that Cooley only played in 7 games last season too, right? In 7 games he had 29 receptions and 2 TD's. Daniels, in 7.25 games had 40 receptions and 5 TD's...

No one said that Cooley was a chump. He's just not OD.

Back