Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Lets Talk Defensive Line

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's not fear to make wise decisions.

For one, even IF they draft Young or Stroud.

Hell lets play pretend and they draft both Stroud and Young.

Do you honestly believe that they make a run in the playoffs by those picks? What about 2024?

IF the answer is No.... then you must agree that there are other positions of need that need to be addressed before can even pretend we are a QB away. Why not address those issues now that the QB class comes with a lot of questions

Personally, I dont care if we roll with Mills or draft. IF they draft a QB I want it to be the one they wanted. (I believe every coach should be given the freedom to live or die by their choices....) I'd prefer they adress other issues so that WHEN we draft "our future" he is set up for success.

If your answer is you believe they make a run is "Yes" then you are more optimistic than me, but I understand your view. IF I believed we were a QB away, I would be all about QB #2 also.
The Texans are going to do exactly what they want to do. Whatever they doom is best for them I’m all for it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Got to start somewhere. Can’t be afraid. The Bengals weren’t afraid and look at their team now.
Many other teams weren't afraid & spent decades out of play-offs, at the top of the draft.

This team won 4 games with Watson & we're not much better than then, if at all & Stroud/Young aren't better than Watson.

We've basically tread water the last couple years. Still need to fix the OL, Still need to learn how to tackle.

I don't see the point of ruining Cj Stroud's career just to make you feel better.

1679264247169.png

Texansballer74

The Marine
Many other teams weren't afraid & spent decades out of play-offs, at the top of the draft.

This team won 4 games with Watson & we're not much better than then, if at all & Stroud/Young aren't better than Watson.

We've basically tread water the last couple years. Still need to fix the OL, Still need to learn how to tackle.

I don't see the point of ruining Cj Stroud's career just to make you feel better.

View attachment 11819
You don’t know if they’re going to ruin that young man’s career. What if the organization takes off in the right direction just like Bengals did? They were trash for way longer than the Texans and they still took that gamble. That’s exactly what the NFL is a big gamble. Therefore, keep taking that gamble until you get it right.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Do you honestly believe that they make a run in the playoffs by those picks? What about 2024?

IF the answer is No.... then you must agree that there are other positions of need that need to be addressed before can even pretend we are a QB away.
If I were confident in Caserio, DeMeco, & Young/Stroud I could almost understand their position.

But every other time we think we have a QB we complain about how we should have fixed the trenches 1st.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You don’t know if they’re going to ruin that young man’s career.
I'm not pretending to, I provided my reasoning for that statement in the post you quoted.
What if the organization takes off in the right direction just like Bengals did?
I spent the last 20 years on what ifs, trying to move forward. Come with me. I hear there's milk and honey and chocolate and rainbows and...

Reactions: JB

Khelar

Rookie
If I were confident in Caserio, DeMeco, & Young/Stroud I could almost understand their position.

But every other time we think we have a QB we complain about how we should have fixed the trenches 1st.
Well we just spent a first rounder on a guard, upgraded the other guard position, signed a top 5 LT to an extension, and have an above average RT. Probably gonna spend a day 2 pick on a center in a month or so. I’m not sure what else there is to do there. You made the moves now you gotta trust in them to work

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Well we just spent a first rounder on a guard, upgraded the other guard position, signed a top 5 LT to an extension, and have an above average RT. Probably gonna spend a day 2 pick on a center in a month or so. I’m not sure what else there is to do there. You made the moves now you gotta trust in them to work
Still have the front 7 to fix. I know they made a step or two but still have a way to go

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yes they need help in the front 7. Yes they need help stopping the run. That’s why they signed both Rankins and Ridgeway. Defensive tackles who are pretty darn solid in stopping the run.
So what’s the problem? I’ve said many times if I thought Young/Stroud were sliced bread I’d take them. If Caserio thinks they are the bees knees he should take them.

I don’t. Do you give me permission to argue my opinion?

Please?

• Haha

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
So what’s the problem? I’ve said many times if I thought Young/Stroud were sliced bread I’d take them. If Caserio thinks they are the bees knees he should take them.

I don’t. Do you give me permission to argue my opinion?

Please?
No.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

View attachment 11819
If this team (besides the QB) is not better than the version that won 4 games with Watson then Caserio needs to be fired on the spot.

The QB (Mills) held this team back.

If only Watson had stayed on track, the Texans could definitely win the AFC South last year.

• Haha

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If this team (besides the QB) is not better than the version that won 4 games with Watson then Caserio needs to be fired on the spot.

If only Watson had stayed on track, the Texans could definitely win the AFC South last year.
No matter how good you think Watson was, he couldn't win squat from the bench. Nor could he play defense

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Man, are you trying to get folks to believe Mills was the only player on the team who held this potential AFC South and/or Championship team back?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I've explicitly stated several times, it's not about the QB.
Ryans has stated multiple times that the QB is just one piece of the puzzle. There are a lot of positions that need to be upgraded before the Texans throw a "franchise" QB to the wolves.
I will say that it's disturbing that the team re-signed Q and released Caan. It would be nice to learn why they came to that decision.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Ryans has stated multiple times that the QB is just one piece of the puzzle. There are a lot of positions that need to be upgraded before the Texans throw a "franchise" QB to the wolves.
I will say that it's disturbing that the team re-signed Q and released Caan. It would be nice to learn why they came to that decision.
I believe the team really wanted Brenden (49’ers) as a FA signing. I think the 49’ers knee jerked and gave him a bigger deal than desired. For the Texans, C becomes a priority pick in the draft and Q became an inexpensive but experienced C2.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It's not fear to make wise decisions.

For one, even IF they draft Young or Stroud.

Hell lets play pretend and they draft both Stroud and Young.

IF the answer is No.... then you must agree that there are other positions of need that need to be addressed before can even pretend we are a QB away. Why not address those issues now that the QB class comes with a lot of questions

Personally, I dont care if we roll with Mills or draft. IF they draft a QB I want it to be the one they wanted. (I believe every coach should be given the freedom to live or die by their choices....) I'd prefer they adress other issues so that WHEN we draft "our future" he is set up for success.

If your answer is you believe they make a run is "Yes" then you are more optimistic than me, but I understand your view. IF I believed we were a QB away, I would be all about QB #2 also.
They’re in position to get the QB now though. If they wait they might screw around and win 6 or 7 games and be in a position where they need to burn assets to move up to get a QB or settle for a game manager type. Not interested in the latter for long term.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They’re in position to get the QB now though. If they wait they might screw around and win 6 or 7 games and be in a position where they need to burn assets to move up to get a QB or settle for a game manager type. Not interested in the latter for long term.
The thing is there's not a QB in this draft that doesn't have a bunch of warts. Chances are greater that they draft the next Gabbert or Bortles than the next Mahomes. Then the Texans get to spend the next 4-5 years watching a high draft pick play ineptly at the QB position.
If a team thinks there's a QB in a draft that is a homerun, then there's really no amount of draft capital that is too expensive.

Khelar

Rookie
The thing is there's not a QB in this draft that doesn't have a bunch of warts. Chances are greater that they draft the next Gabbert or Bortles than the next Mahomes. Then the Texans get to spend the next 4-5 years watching a high draft pick play ineptly at the QB position.
If a team thinks there's a QB in a draft that is a homerun, then there's really no amount of draft capital that is too expensive.
No matter what you do there’s always a better chance at the QB you draft being the next Gabbert than being the next Mahomes. QB picks whiff more often than not. You gotta take the risk if you want to compete at a high level.

Anyways all QB prospects have warts and if they don’t they’re going #1 overall and you aren’t getting them anyways most likely.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
No matter what you do there’s always a better chance at the QB you draft being the next Gabbert than being the next Mahomes. QB picks whiff more often than not. You gotta take the risk if you want to compete at a high level.

Anyways all QB prospects have warts and if they don’t they’re going #1 overall and you aren’t getting them anyways most likely.
A team can always move up to 1.1 in the draft. As I stated earlier, there's no amount of draft capital that's too expensive if a team is sure the QB is a homerun.

Texansballer74

The Marine
What warts does Stroud and Young have. Young only has his build and that’s it. Stroud doesn’t have any that I know of. Oh he had a talented roster.

Man look here even the quarterbacks coming out next year could have so called warts. Are you going to not draft one then too?

• Haha

Khelar

Rookie
A team can always move up to 1.1 in the draft. As I stated earlier, there's no amount of draft capital that's too expensive if a team is sure the QB is a homerun.
Sooo your plan would be to wait around for a generational prospect to show up, then try and trade up and hope you’re the team lucky enough to be chosen to give up your next 3 drafts to move up?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What warts does Stroud and Young have. Young only has his build and that’s it. Stroud doesn’t have any that I know of. Oh he had a talented roster.

Man look here even the quarterbacks coming out next year could have so called warts. Are you going to not draft one then too?
Stroud doesn't throw on the move well and isn't creative when a play breaks down. Performance under pressure, behind a very good OL was poor last season. Doesn't feel the rush well (just like Mills). Average arm talent.
Young's build is a huge concern. Whichever team that drafts him needs to have a very capable QB2. His height might require a team to get less than ideal sized OL so he has passing lanes he can see.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Sooo your plan would be to wait around for a generational prospect to show up, then try and trade up and hope you’re the team lucky enough to be chosen to give up your next 3 drafts to move up?
Nope. I don't really care who the Texans draft, or where. I'm just playing devil's advocate on a message board. Trying to pick up some of SBT's slack.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
What about as posted before "not being afraid"?

Unless you are convinced that the QB you take is your future.... you are settling for what you can get because your fear is...."Oh No, we've improved!"

IF they have the foundation in place and are truly a QB away..... who cares if it cost us a little extra to get the only piece we are missing.

What if Young or Stroud are complete busts because you ignored the questions before the draft and you fix nothing? It takes longer to cast aside a QB that cost you #2 so you lose time

"What ifs" work both ways.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Agree. Having to mortgage your future for a guy that could be a bust doesn't make sense and it will come at a high price
And what a lot of folk aren't taking into consideration is what if the team sitting at #1 absolutely needs and wants that guy and refuses to trade out?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
And if the team sitting at 1.1 needs the best QB in the draft?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Stroud doesn't throw on the move well and isn't creative when a play breaks down. Performance under pressure, behind a very good OL was poor last season. Doesn't feel the rush well (just like Mills). Average arm talent.
Young's build is a huge concern. Whichever team that drafts him needs to have a very capable QB2. His height might require a team to get less than ideal sized OL so he has passing lanes he can see.
Stroud Arm strength is better than Mills and he showed in that last game that he could do those things. The kid is very accurate unlike Mills. He said he can take off but he rather go through his progressions.

Every NFL players are at risk. You have a large amount of players getting hurt without being hit. That’s the hazardous of this game.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
All QBs have warts. And yeah, the chances may be greater of drafting a Bortles than a Mahomes but you’ve got zero chance to draft a Mahomes if you pass on QB.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Gabbert wasn't seen as having warts when he was drafted. Same with Darnold or Zach Wilson. Hell, Trubisky went ahead of Mahomes and Watson. Darnold and Rosen ahead of Lamar Jackson. While solid and improving, Trevor Lawrence still hasn't lived up to the hype of being the next Andrew Luck.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Man, are you trying to get folks to believe Mills was the only player on the team who held this potential AFC South and/or Championship team back?
He was not the only one, but he was one of the biggest reasons.
Why do you think Lovie went with a two-QB system?

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Gabbert wasn't seen as having warts when he was drafted. Same with Darnold or Zach Wilson. Hell, Trubisky went ahead of Mahomes and Watson. Darnold and Rosen ahead of Lamar Jackson. While solid and improving, Trevor Lawrence still hasn't lived up to the hype of being the next Andrew Luck.
I think the knock on Gabbert was that there were questions if he could play in a pro-style offense. He was still expected to go in the top 10 and become a pro-bowler.

With Darnold, his wart was his big windup with his release and his turnovers. Again, he was expected to be at least a good starter.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Jacob Martin signing today. There is going to be some tough cuts in camp on the DL. I am encouraged by this unit.

Starting base DL:

DE: Will Anderson
DT: Maliek Collins
DT: Sheldon Rankins
DE: Jonathan Greenard (Hughes probably listed as starter).

Then depth at DE with Hughes/Horton. I expect Hughes/Greenard to rotate quite a bit. Add in the competition for designated pass rusher between Martin, Winovich and Rivers. One of them will get paid on their next contract after having a career year in DeMeco’s defense.

DT is looking like quality depth with Ridgeway and Roy Lopez. Hinish and Booker are currently on the outside looking in… One or both end up on PS.

I didn’t care for Lopez as a full time starter but I think he’s a quality 3rd/4th DT in a rotation. I expect the quality of his play to improve sitting behind a bonafide solid starting NFL DT in Rankins and playing less snaps. He has been a good value find by Caserio.

This is a formidable DL unit that is deep. I think the pieces are in place to generate a consistent four man pass rush this season.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Jacob Martin signing today. There is going to be some tough cuts in camp on the DL. I am encouraged by this unit.

Starting base DL:

DE: Will Anderson
DT: Maliek Collins
DT: Sheldon Rankins
DE: Jonathan Greenard (Hughes probably listed as starter).

Then depth at DE with Hughes/Horton. I expect Hughes/Greenard to rotate quite a bit. Add in the competition for designated pass rusher between Martin, Winovich and Rivers. One of them will get paid on their next contract after having a career year in DeMeco’s defense.

DT is looking like quality depth with Ridgeway and Roy Lopez. Hinish and Booker are currently on the outside looking in… One or both end up on PS.

I didn’t care for Lopez as a full time starter but I think he’s a quality 3rd/4th DT in a rotation. I expect the quality of his play to improve sitting behind a bonafide solid starting NFL DT in Rankins and playing less snaps. He has been a good value find by Caserio.

This is a formidable DL unit that is deep. I think the pieces are in place to generate a consistent four man pass rush this season.

Strong post.

I wanna see some wide 9.