Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Laremy Tunsil Contract

II have watched a couple game tapes on this guy and he looks to slow to play LT. IMO he projects to a OG in the NFL.
Your the first I've heard say that but if I draft him it would be to play LG moving Green to right or more likely Center: Tunsil Howard Skor Green and Heck. I also want Schmitz.

Skoronski gets comparisons to Rashawn Slater because of his size and the school they went to. But Slater has great feet and is a dawg. Skoronski reminds me more of Cincy's Jonah Williams, who was miscast as a LT from the start.
uh Skoronski has great feet and hands also.

Exactly why I thought it was a good idea to draft LT Charles Cross with the #3 pick last year. Who BTW is doing a very good job in Seattle and Seattle appears to well pleased with Cross. I'm not sure there a whole lot of teams out there willing to make the colossal mistakes made by the Texans. If Texans could get a 1st and 2nd and possibly a 3rd for Tunsil I would be pleased. A 3rd may be a bridge too far. Not drafting Cross now makes trading Tunsil much more difficult. Coach think will be to resign Tunsil. The Texans would've had to pay Cross a total of $35MM over the next 4 years with a 5th-year option. They've to pay that to Tunsil next year. That's over 15% of the cap. Many hear have argued they don't think you should pay a QB more than 15% of the cap.
If Tunsil extends the 2023 cap hit will be reworked in that deal lowering significantly.

back to last year? Not so much. Lazy, unmotivated, worked a minor injury into free pay for a half the year. Hey it’s a good gig if you can find it. And he has never been a leader of men. He is not that guy. He comes into work, does what he needs to do and leaves. Nothing wrong with that if your Joe Smith steel worker making $20/hr down at the factory. But your asking for top $$$$. And it’s telling that instead of saying I want to ball out and if I play to my standards I will be highly compensated…he just goes straight to the pile of cash.
There is no such thing as a minor hand injury that requires surgery for an Olineman. He wasn't put on IR with a cold. A one-handed LT is worthless. Did you evaluate his injury or just going off some bleacher report contributor that expected him to return in a few weeks?

I would prefer Tunsil to say he wants to be the greatest tackle in the NFL. Money comes and goes but greatness is forever. Nobody remembers or cares how much money Jim Brown or Barry Sanders made.
I would prefer to trade him if we could get good value.
He basically did say that in an interview posted here recently you can find. I think it was with 610 radio. He also mentioned he thought he could be an all pro.

edit: " But just coming back just to show everybody that I am the best tackle."

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a minor hand injury that requires surgery for an Olineman. He wasn't put on IR with a cold. A one-handed LT is worthless. Did you evaluate his injury or just going off some bleacher report contributor that expected him to return in a few weeks?

Sorry but I differ here. Cast it up. Stop missing games. Stop false starting snaps. Man it up and lead like your cap hit suggest. He's one of the few marquee talents this franchise has and he needs to act like it.

Again Texans missed a golden opportunity by not drafting Charles Cross last year. He would've only cost the Texans 35MM over 4 years as compared to $150MM Tunsil is likely to get over 6 years. In addition, the Texans missed out on a 1 and 2 and maybe more.
Sayler has outplayed Cross and every other rookie tackle.

Reactions: JB
seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on LT's contract and how a trade would impact him and Houston. My comments are based only on a pre June 1st 2023.

His 2023 cap of $35m is comprised of his base of $18.5 and is added to the final year of his prorated bonus of $16,710,834. A team trading for him pays only the base and Texans eat the bonus. The ~$17 million is a lot of of dead $ but $18.5 in savings + huge trade offer might cause Houston take notice.

The purchasing team getting a 3 of 4 year pro-bowler for $18 million is ridiculously inexpensive. Said team would probably want to extend him immediately.

Trent Williams highest paid tackle extended recently and his cap next three years $27- 28 and $30 million. Trent is 35 next season and Tunsil turns 29 in August.

Sorry but I differ here. Cast it up. Stop missing games. Stop false starting snaps. Man it up and lead like your cap hit suggest. He's one of the few marquee talents this franchise has and he needs to act like it.
Why aren't you telling Pierce to cast it up? I guess JJ should have just cast it up? Stop talking like it's your fantasy team on the line. Get Tunsil a center that can snap the ball and quit letting a 5 yard penalty ruin your drive

edit: Besides it made the tank so much more believable

Why aren't you telling Pierce to cast it up? I guess JJ should have just cast it up? Stop talking like it's your fantasy team on the line. Get Tunsil a center that can snap the ball and quit letting a 5 yard penalty ruin your drive

We didn't trade two first round picks for a center. Pierce doesn't have a history of sitting out the majority of a season with a minor injury.

We didn't trade two first round picks for a center. Pierce doesn't have a history of sitting out the majority of a season with a minor injury.
Check my edit... again I do not believe it was a minor injury. There is no such thing as a minor surgery if you yourself have to go through it

We didn't trade two first round picks for a center.
It's not Tunsil's fault what OB traded for him. And if the center is making your other linemen look bad because of his failure then you paid more than you think

Check my edit... again I do not believe it was a minor injury. There is no such thing as a minor surgery if you yourself have to go through it

With his previous sit outs (um, err injuries) I wanted a higher performance. I probably have higher expectations for him based on his salary and draft capital.

I think he's good in pass pro. Average in all other metrics despite his talent. He's still a 21 year old brat with a cannibas gas mask on night 1 of the draft, imo.

I'd like to see him take charge ,but I won't hold my breath.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
With his previous sit outs (um, err injuries) I wanted a higher performance. I probably have higher expectations for him based on his salary and draft capital.

I think he's good in pass pro. Average in all other metrics despite his talent. He's still a 21 year old brat with a cannibas gas mask on night 1 of the draft, imo.

I'd like to see him take charge ,but I won't hold my breath.
“Good in pass pro” is drastically underselling it imo

I think he's drastically good at false starts and better then average in pass pro as I mentioned.

Would anyone make the same trade today based on his performance? I damn sure wouldn't.

“Good in pass pro” is drastically underselling it imo
Laremy Tunsil's 90.8 pass blocking grade this season is the highest by a Texan in PFF history. His 92.3 mark since Week 2 is the best among every offensive players in the NFL.
Probably has not dropped since Thanksgiving tweet. Still only one sack which might change after Jags who should go hard after QB.

He has a 60.8 rating in 21 and 75.4 rating in 20 for what it's worth...

Mark Lane
December 21, 2022·1 min rea

• Laremy Tunsil

Laremy Tunsil
    2019_HOU_wbg.png
    |OL|#78

84d1100a1fe2060029bfec6f7497e25a

Houston Texans left tackle Laremy Tunsil was selected to the Pro Bowl for the third time in his career Wednesday.
Tunsil has been an anchor for the Texans’ offensive line, starting in all 14 games to date at left tackle.
Tunsil has a 91.3 pass blocking grade, according to Pro Football Focus, which is the first among offensive linemen.

I am probably wrong but that seems significantly better than good....

Mark Lane

• Laremy Tunsil

Laremy Tunsil
    2019_HOU_wbg.png
    |OL|#78

Houston Texans left tackle Laremy Tunsil was selected to the Pro Bowl for the third time in his career Wednesday.
Tunsil has been an anchor for the Texans’ offensive line, starting in all 14 games to date at left tackle.
Tunsil has a 91.3 pass blocking grade, according to Pro Football Focus, which is the first among offensive linemen.

If you have something to say to me, say it direct like an adult. And why ignore the crumbs like would you trade for him again?

2021 Tunsil played only five games.

Last year’s ranking: 2

One of the league’s most gifted linemen, Tunsil might be the lone star out of Houston to crack a top-10 list at any position. He is a true anchor who can win with power or quick feet, winning 89.7% of his pass-block snaps in 2020.

“He’s more explosive and athletic — he’s not devastating with ferocity like Trent Williams,” said an NFC offensive coach. “But he’s got that gear that most don’t where when he wants to dominate, he can.”

Pro Football Focus calls Tunsil a “middling run-blocker,” but coaches still consider him a threat in that area, at least when he wants to be.

Mark Lane

• Laremy Tunsil

Laremy Tunsil
    2019_HOU_wbg.png
    |OL|#78

79.9 per my pff total search.

“But he’s got that gear that most don’t where when he wants to dominate, he can.”

Pro Football Focus calls Tunsil a “middling run-blocker,” but coaches still consider him a threat in that area, at least when he wants to be.

I don't think anyone questions Tunsil's talent. It's the desire to play 110%. Give the guy a contract that's record setting and basically non-tradeable, he had better play to the best of his ability every snap. Who has that type of conviction for Tunsil?

“But he’s got that gear that most don’t where when he wants to dominate, he can.”

I don't think anyone questions Tunsil's talent. It's the desire to play 110%. Give the guy a contract that's record setting and basically non-tradeable, he had better play to the best of his ability every snap. Who has that type of conviction for Tunsil?

I posted pff grades above for 21 and 20. He plays harder for a contract and his performance will drop after signing. Not worth the trade. Good, not great. Average run blocker and makes his check off a kick step.

I think you were one of the main people saying a QB should not be more than 15% of the salary cap. Your boy has already gone and made Tunsil's 2023 compensation more than 15%. Now you want to argue that Tunsil a LT, not a QB, is worth more than 15% of the salary cap?
We will see the cap is supposed to be 225 mil.

We'll miss him if he goes. Unless they decide to draft a LT 1st thing, which, unless he's fresh out of surgery, they won't.

@Thorn I'm going to need you and @CloakNNNdagger to form a draft committee to set the franchise right.

Stop "DIP's" (Drafting Injured Players) and "MAD" (Massage Afflicted Degenerates) from joining the team. The texans "FANS" (Famously Anal Nfl Survivors) deserve better in the 2023 "DRAFT" (Doesn't Really Assist-our-F'ing Team.)

Please let me know what assistance you may need and I'll do my best to accommodate.

I think he's drastically good at false starts and better then average in pass pro as I mentioned.
I don’t think the phrase “drastically good” works in the English language.

But anyways I think you’re underselling how good he has been in pass pro, just “above average” doesn’t really cut it imo

If Tunsil extends the 2023 cap hit will be reworked in that deal lowering significantly.
Not necessarily. The current contract has $16.5MM in dead money. A new $150MM contract with $70MM GTD signing bonus breaks down as follows: 2023 = Salary $12MM + $14MM signing bonus + $16.5MM = $16.5MM Dead Money = $40.5MM. If you can extend the dead money over 4 years; Salary $12MM + $14MM + $4MM = $30MM. The Texans have to account for all that money $16.5MM that was created by Caserio restructuring Tunsil's contract TWICE. Caserio has already spent that money. I seriously doubt that Tunsil will allow the Texans to backload his new contract. The more I think about it the more I think Tunsil will seek a sign and trade deal. He wants out of Houston.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. The current contract has $16.5MM in dead money. A new $150MM contract with $70MM GTD signing bonus breaks down as follows: 2023 = Salary $12MM + $12.5MM signing bonus + $16.5MM Dead Money = $40.5MM That's more % than the current 2023 cap. The Texans have to account for all that money $16.5MM that was created by Caserio restructuring Tunsil's contract TWICE. Caserio has already spent that money.
Doesn't that dead money only apply if he's cut or traded? OTC shows dead money at $0 if he's restructured or extended

apparently you weren’t here last year. I think my worries are extremely well-founded and totally fact based.

Tunsil has been very good this year, especially pass blocking. He has improved some in the run game, but will never be a bull there. He’s a finesse based technician with great feet. So to his credit he has had a good overall year.

back to last year? Not so much. Lazy, unmotivated, worked a minor injury into free pay for a half the year. Hey it’s a good gig if you can find it. And he has never been a leader of men. He is not that guy. He comes into work, does what he needs to do and leaves. Nothing wrong with that if your Joe Smith steel worker making $20/hr down at the factory. But your asking for top $$$$. And it’s telling that instead of saying I want to ball out and if I play to my standards I will be highly compensated…he just goes straight to the pile of cash.

as I said I am torn. Can we find another body that can do reasonably well? Probably. Can we find someone that can keep the QB as clean as Tunsil? Very doubtful. As a player, I don’t care for his personal characteristics, but I also understand the importance of the position and the spot that Nick is in. I’d feel better if Chris Olson was here. I’m 50/50 on trading or signing him to an extension.
I’m thinking within an hour after after signing his $150MM contract Tunsil will be slipping into his gas mask. The first day after the reg season I would start the bidding for sign and trade deal at (2) 1st rd draft picks and see if the fish are biting.

Sayler has outplayed Cross and every other rookie tackle.
Texans didn't draft him either. I had Salyer in my Texans mock. Salyer plays for a better team, a better QB. Can you imagine the Texans with Cross and Salyer? Don't try, it's like quantum physics.
Here is my 2022 draft (w/o Caserio silliness)

#3 - Charles Cross, LT - Starting LT Seattle
#13 -Jordan Davis, DT - Philadelphia DT, 53 man roster
#37 - George Pickens, WR - Starting #1 WR Pittsburgh Steelers
#68 - Zamir White, RB - Raiders 53 man roster, backup to Josh Jacobs
#80 - Matt Corral, QB (Joe Montana was a 3rd RD pick #82) -IR Carolina, lis franc
#107 - Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB - IR Ravens hip
#108 - Zach Tom, OG - Packers 53 man roster
#170 - Jamaree Salyer, OG - Starting LT Chargers
#205 - Quentin Lake, S - Rams 53 man roster
#207 - Chance Campbell, LB On Titans IR

#80 - Matt Corral, QB (Joe Montana was a 3rd RD pick #82) -IR Carolina, lis franc
I had a similar mock, I had Neal at #3 originally.

We had everything about the same except I was out on Corral and had Salyer as a top 50 guy. Good job.

Who do you like as impact rookie IOL this yr?

I've got Stromberg/Mauck/Beebe/Avila/Van Pran/Patterson all going around pick 100. It would be nice to get 2 of these guys.

I had a similar mock, I had Neal at #3 originally.

We had everything about the same except I was out on Corral and had Salyer as a top 50 guy. Good job.

I've got Stromberg/Mauck/Beebe/Avila/Van Pran/Patterson all going around pick 100. It would be nice to get 2 of these guys.
Unfortunately, I've bad news for you. Caserio likes to trade away those picks to move up. Last year (2022) draft was thick and heavy on day 2. Nick traded away many of those picks to move up. I had no intention of taking Salyer that late but when he was still on the board, how could you not?

I would pencil in Steve Avila at #74. Now if he throws up 30+ reps then move him up to #65. This all depends if Warhop is the OL coach when it's draft time. Warhop is not going to take any OL with arms < 34". He doesn't mind fat, slow and weak as long as they have 34" arms.

I wanted Williams at the 13th pick. I also had Rachaid White in the 4th and Pickens in there well before Metchie. Had Sayler in th4th also.

@Thorn I'm going to need you and @CloakNNNdagger to form a draft committee to set the franchise right.

Stop "DIP's" (Drafting Injured Players) and "MAD" (Massage Afflicted Degenerates) from joining the team. The texans "FANS" (Famously Anal Nfl Survivors) deserve better in the 2023 "DRAFT" (Doesn't Really Assist-our-F'ing Team.)

Please let me know what assistance you may need and I'll do my best to accommodate.

I don’t fit in your FANS acronym - Famously Anal NFL Survivors.

I have never done anal nor have had to survive from it.

Back