Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Laremy Tunsil Contract

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
A team just getting into the first stages of their rebuild don't typically need the highest paid player at any position. If Tunsil can be the highest paid LT in the NFL....then his trade value should be quite spectacular. Could the team get a return package (RD1, RD1, RD2, and 2 Players) of picks/players similar to the one they gave Miami? It should pose no problem being that he's entering his prime as an All Pro LT.

Texian

Hall of Fame
A team just getting into the first stages of their rebuild don't typically need the highest paid player at any position. If Tunsil can be the highest paid LT in the NFL....then his trade value should be quite spectacular. Could the team get a return package (RD1, RD1, RD2, and 2 Players) of picks/players similar to the one they gave Miami? It should pose no problem being that he's entering his prime as an All Pro LT.
Exactly why I thought it was a good idea to draft LT Charles Cross with the #3 pick last year. Who BTW is doing a very good job in Seattle and Seattle appears to well pleased with Cross. I'm not sure there a whole lot of teams out there willing to make the colossal mistakes made by the Texans. If Texans could get a 1st and 2nd and possibly a 3rd for Tunsil I would be pleased. A 3rd may be a bridge too far. Not drafting Cross now makes trading Tunsil much more difficult. Coach think will be to resign Tunsil. The Texans would've had to pay Cross a total of $35MM over the next 4 years with a 5th-year option. They've to pay that to Tunsil next year. That's over 15% of the cap. Many hear have argued they don't think you should pay a QB more than 15% of the cap.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
First, aren’t Texans on Tunsil’s hook for 35 million next year? Who would want to pay that much in salary/cap hit and give up valuable draft fodder?
Both scenarios seem inappropriate for a non-contending football team unless they hit on franchise QB?
Can’t blame Laremy, he’s done a brilliant job leveraging bigger and bigger contracts. Everyone of the elite tackles will earn their weight in gold just depends how front office values assets and can offset with more cost effective options without hurting play on field and cap structure.
My guess is Caserio will pay Laremy Tunsil more than Trent Williams in a long term deal, how much will probably shock us all?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Exactly why I thought it was a good idea to draft LT Charles Cross with the #3 pick last year. Who BTW is doing a very good job in Seattle and Seattle appears to well pleased with Cross. I'm not sure there a whole lot of teams out there willing to make the colossal mistakes made by the Texans. If Texans could get a 1st and 2nd and possibly a 3rd for Tunsil I would be pleased. A 3rd may be a bridge too far. Not drafting Cross now makes trading Tunsil much more difficult. Coach think will be to resign Tunsil. The Texans would've had to pay Cross a total of $35MM over the next 4 years with a 5th-year option. They've to pay that to Tunsil next year. That's over 15% of the cap. Many hear have argued they don't think you should pay a QB more than 15% of the cap.
Tunsil will cost the McNairs $18.5 million out of pocket, $35 million against their cap. That's not a bad deal for a team not trying to stretch payroll. Unfortunately, Tunsil will not play on that last year of the contract. He will ask for a mammoth extension, or a trade. And as you said, getting value will be difficult at this point. With a poor 2003 draft class for LT, the Texans are pretty much forced to extend Tunsil on a record setting deal.

But hey, Nick's doing a great job.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Tomsky02

Practice Squad
Hi,

New to the forum but wondered what the thoughts are on this....

If you were the GM, would you pay top dollar when you knew you were in a rebuild, does a pro-bowl talent have a place in this Houston team, or is this just self promotion?

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Here is one view of that situation
Texans LT Laremy Tunsil said he wants to "reset" the offensive tackle market.
Tunsil wants to be the highest-paid tackle in the league, and it's hard to argue with him. Pro Football Focus has him ranked as their No. 12 tackle overall this year but he grades as the league's best at his position in pass-blocking. They have him charted as giving up just one sack on 581 pass-blocking reps. The Texans aren't known for giving out massive contracts, but they held onto Tunsil this year despite being in the midst of an obvious rebuild. Currently projected to have the seventh-most cap space in 2023, Houston has the means to bring their star left tackle back for years to come.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Tunsil probably wants to get paid wherever he ends up, but If I were him and I was going to play for this franchise I'd want them to show me the money too.
You can burn through your draft capital real quick replacing a tunsil level player too. You might end up with a guy not even close to caliber and using more money to fix a problem you had solved already

Porky

Hall of Fame
I’m torn. I feel like he is balling out this year to get paid, then it’s back to lazy Laramy with his head in a cloud of smoke and his hangnail on speed dial.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m torn. I feel like he is balling out this year to get paid, then it’s back to lazy Laramy with his head in a cloud of smoke and his hangnail on speed dial.
Laramie Tunsil balled out in 3 of his 4 years with Houston and was probowler. Reasonable chance it's for him to be an all pro this season.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
The way Tunsil plays, unless he has a catastrophic injury, he can play at a high level into his mid 30's minimum. Thing with Tunsil, he does his job well, get paid, and go home. He's not a leader type, but he know his role and plays it well. You Trent and even the guy with the rams last year who are so sound in their technique, why not keep him as a stallworth. Why create another hole?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cap hit

2020 $14m Pro bowl
2021 9
2022. 18 Pro Bowl his third.

Ridiculously inexpensive.

As I've said before he negotiated his own 3 year extension averaging 22m. An extension adding only one million more each year puts him where he wants. Laramie doesn't care who QB is.. he blocks and blocks well particularly in pass blocking. Everyone wants a passing QB so move on from one of best in keeping the new guy up? How much better would Tunsil be if we had a good passer and a better than average center? His false starts would definitely be less.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Tough call. He's consistently a top tier LT. On the other hand, he adds a lot of drive killing false starts, his contract will be huge, and he could be worth a decent haul of picks.

I'd be interested in trading him if you could get at least a high 1st round pick and a 2nd (no 2nd and 5th BS like the Duane Brown trade).
Skoronski the overwhelming Best left tackle in college football would be the only one I would want to replace
Laremy Tunsil. Trade would have to be with Raiders for their one and two in 2023 and probably their round 1 following year and they most likely wouldn't do that.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
Skoronski the overwhelming Best left tackle in college football would be the only one I would want to replace
Laremy Tunsil. Trade would have to be with Raiders for their one and two in 2023 and probably their round 1 following year and they most likely wouldn't do that.
What if we threw in Cooks?

badboy

Hall of Fame
The way Tunsil plays, unless he has a catastrophic injury, he can play at a high level into his mid 30's minimum. Thing with Tunsil, he does his job well, get paid, and go home. He's not a leader type, but he know his role and plays it well. You Trent and even the guy with the rams last year who are so sound in their technique, why not keep him as a stallworth. Why create another hole?
Create another hole that could be filled..unless a team beats us to Skoronski.. and fill three other holes.

badboy

Hall of Fame
When I discuss the parameters of a trade I don't focus on just 1 or 2 parts of the trade but the entire package.

12 + 43 + round 1 in 2024 plus the salary cap savings is enough for me to consider.

Screw the cap hit, trade Tunsil for high picks before the 2023 draft. Screw Mills, let him get pummeled as the 2023 starter. Screw Williams and Maye, in 2024 draft lefty Michael Penix as the QB. Screw a premier LT...problem solved.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Screw the cap hit, trade Tunsil for high picks before the 2023 draft. Screw Mills, let him get pummeled as the 2023 starter. Screw Williams and Maye, in 2024 draft lefty Michael Penix as the QB. Screw a premier LT...problem solved.
So you just ignore getting a left tackle in draft? The plan seems to be to replace Mills with Young who could do well behind Skoronski and perhaps Paris Johnston but I am less confident.
Ekwonu doing pretty well as a rookie.

Edit and cap hit actually saves~$18 Million..

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Hi,

New to the forum but wondered what the thoughts are on this....

If you were the GM, would you pay top dollar when you knew you were in a rebuild, does a pro-bowl talent have a place in this Houston team, or is this just self promotion?
I would prefer Tunsil to say he wants to be the greatest tackle in the NFL. Money comes and goes but greatness is forever. Nobody remembers or cares how much money Jim Brown or Barry Sanders made.
I would prefer to trade him if we could get good value.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I would prefer Tunsil to say he wants to be the greatest tackle in the NFL. Money comes and goes but greatness is forever. Nobody remembers or cares how much money Jim Brown or Barry Sanders made.
spoken like a true fan…i can tell you who does care about how much money they make for their seevices tho….

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
His priority is to be the highest paid LT in the NFL.....my fear, what Tunsil do we get once he gets that fat signing bonus, which will be the only way to off-set his fat new contract.

Take the picks and select Skoronski as part of the rebuild effort. Throw in C- Michael-Schmitz and OL- Cody Mauch. There's enough pieces to make a decent OL to develop. I keep forgetting Deculus will be back next season.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Tunsil will cost the McNairs $18.5 million out of pocket, $35 million against their cap. That's not a bad deal for a team not trying to stretch payroll. Unfortunately, Tunsil will not play on that last year of the contract. He will ask for a mammoth extension, or a trade. And as you said, getting value will be difficult at this point. With a poor 2003 draft class for LT, the Texans are pretty much forced to extend Tunsil on a record setting deal.

But hey, Nick's doing a great job.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
So if Tunsil wants a $100MM (plus) 4-year contract, it will also come with $16.7MM in dead cap money in 2023 and a rather large signing bonus ($30MM to $40MM GTD?). It's going to be rather expensive and cap-heavy regardless. No one ever accused Nick Caserio of being a fiduciary or being fiscally responsible.
Olsen, Chris Olsen, Olsen

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So if Tunsil wants a $100MM (plus) 4-year contract, it will also come with $16.7MM in dead cap money in 2023 and a rather large signing bonus ($30MM to $40MM GTD?). It's going to be rather expensive and cap-heavy regardless. No one ever accused Nick Caserio of being a fiduciary or being fiscally responsible.
Is Tunsil worth the money is the question you should be asking.

Top 5 guys in any profession get paid.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
At least he doesn't give away a franchise type player for a bag of Doritos.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Is Tunsil worth the money is the question you should be asking.

Top 5 guys in any profession get paid.
I think you were one of the main people saying a QB should not be more than 15% of the salary cap. Your boy has already gone and made Tunsil's 2023 compensation more than 15%. Now you want to argue that Tunsil a LT, not a QB, is worth more than 15% of the salary cap?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Trent Williams got $138 million deal, $40 million guaranteed. Ronnie Stanley got $64 million guaranteed. Tunsil wants to reset the market, so it will his asking price will be above those figures. So, 6 years $150 million, $75 million guaranteed extension would be my guess. Plus the $35 million already on the books, $185 million total. The AAV would be just over $30 million/year.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Football players make to much goddamned money. They also risk their health, very drastically for some positions.

I can't pick a side for today, started to early on the weed. I could make a decision tomorrow, if I remember. Or if I still care.

Where's the frigging game thread for this week? Am I gonna have to start another titty thread?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Trent Williams got $138 million deal, $40 million guaranteed. Ronnie Stanley got $64 million guaranteed. Tunsil wants to reset the market, so it will his asking price will be above those figures. So, 6 years $150 million, $75 million guaranteed extension would be my guess. Plus the $35 million already on the books, $185 million total. The AAV would be just over $30 million/year.
You ain't seen nothing yet, just wait until Caserio starts restructuring that contract.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
You ain't seen nothing yet, just wait until Caserio starts restructuring that contract.
Tunsil is his own agent. And he beat the pants off O'Brien & Easterby. Don't see Caserio being much more of an obstacle in resetting the LT market.

Texian

Hall of Fame
II have watched a couple game tapes on this guy and he looks to slow to play LT. IMO he projects to a OG in the NFL.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
II have watched a couple game tapes on this guy and he looks to slow to play LT. IMO he projects to a OG in the NFL.
Skoronski gets comparisons to Rashawn Slater because of his size and the school they went to. But Slater has great feet and is a dawg. Skoronski reminds me more of Cincy's Jonah Williams, who was miscast as a LT from the start.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Olson was one of the best at contract structure in the nfl even with the Schaub extension. I would feel better if he structured those deals.

Porky

Hall of Fame
There is no factual basis for you to say this
apparently you weren’t here last year. I think my worries are extremely well-founded and totally fact based.

Tunsil has been very good this year, especially pass blocking. He has improved some in the run game, but will never be a bull there. He’s a finesse based technician with great feet. So to his credit he has had a good overall year.

back to last year? Not so much. Lazy, unmotivated, worked a minor injury into free pay for a half the year. Hey it’s a good gig if you can find it. And he has never been a leader of men. He is not that guy. He comes into work, does what he needs to do and leaves. Nothing wrong with that if your Joe Smith steel worker making $20/hr down at the factory. But your asking for top $$$$. And it’s telling that instead of saying I want to ball out and if I play to my standards I will be highly compensated…he just goes straight to the pile of cash.

as I said I am torn. Can we find another body that can do reasonably well? Probably. Can we find someone that can keep the QB as clean as Tunsil? Very doubtful. As a player, I don’t care for his personal characteristics, but I also understand the importance of the position and the spot that Nick is in. I’d feel better if Chris Olson was here. I’m 50/50 on trading or signing him to an extension.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Tunsil is his own agent. And he beat the pants off O'Brien & Easterby. Don't see Caserio being much more of an obstacle in resetting the LT market.
A win for Caserio is getting a contract done regardless of cost. It is abundantly clear that Caserio lacks any real experience in negotiating NFL player contracts.

Texian

Hall of Fame
apparently you weren’t here last year. I think my worries are extremely well-founded and totally fact based.

Tunsil has been very good this year, especially pass blocking. He has improved some in the run game, but will never be a bull there. He’s a finesse based technician with great feet. So to his credit he has had a good overall year.

back to last year? Not so much. Lazy, unmotivated, worked a minor injury into free pay for a half the year. Hey it’s a good gig if you can find it. And he has never been a leader of men. He is not that guy. He comes into work, does what he needs to do and leaves. Nothing wrong with that if your Joe Smith steel worker making $20/hr down at the factory. But your asking for top $$$$. And it’s telling that instead of saying I want to ball out and if I play to my standards I will be highly compensated…he just goes straight to the pile of cash.

as I said I am torn. Can we find another body that can do reasonably well? Probably. Can we find someone that can keep the QB as clean as Tunsil? Very doubtful. As a player, I don’t care for his personal characteristics, but I also understand the importance of the position and the spot that Nick is in. I’d feel better if Chris Olson was here. I’m 50/50 on trading or signing him to an extension.
Again Texans missed a golden opportunity by not drafting Charles Cross last year. He would've only cost the Texans 35MM over 4 years as compared to $150MM Tunsil is likely to get over 6 years. In addition, the Texans missed out on a 1 and 2 and maybe more.

Khelar

Rookie
Im not sure I understand the trade him argument. Sure it would be sick if you could get a 1st and a 2nd for him but then you gotta replace the guy and with oline already being a spot where we’re gonna have to find some guys this off-season it doesnt make sense to just add to that problem when we have the money to keep the guy here.