Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Lance Zierlein Mocks (updated 3/8/22)

Texans trade down to #5, take Stingley.

Nice try Lance….I’m not touching Thibodeaux nor Stingley that early. I also hate when analyst say, “you can’t take a safety that early in the draft”…..duck that. You take the player that you feel will help the team, “most” in the first 3 rounds.

It’s like playing Blackjack and some arse on the table has determined you took his card by taking a hit….I’m playing “and gambling” with my money not yours. If you don’t like the way I’m playing, take your arse to another table instead of trying to force me to play by some unwritten rules.

Last edited:
If the Texans don't take Hamilton in that scenario, I'd prefer they take Ekonwu themselves or trade down further to get more in return and take Green or Lloyd or Gardner or Booth or Davis or Johnson
That would be the preferred scenario. I think the Texans could get the Giants (2) 3rd round picks in this deal. But, I'd rather move down enough to get a 2nd & more.

That would be the preferred scenario. I think the Texans could get the Giants (2) 3rd round picks in this deal. But, I'd rather move down enough to get a 2nd & more.
Or they could trade down with say Philadelphia and pick up a future 1st... or maybe do both

Or they could trade down with say Philadelphia and pick up a future 1st... or maybe do both
The status of a Watson trade might be a determining factor. If Casario thinks a trade won't occur until after the draft, he may want any draft day trades to be for the current draft. If Watson returns picks for this year's draft, pushing picks into future years would make more sense.

I would be for trading for picks in the 2023/2024 drafts, if that meant getting Derrick's contract off of the books. If Derrick is doing time in the slammer the Texans lose the picks but the team he's traded to has to eat Derrick's contract.

Lance is legend around these parts, always enjoyed a listen or read but this is just pot stirring, mixing up different possibilities to see what sticks.

Had to go back and listen to podcost with Brugler (Athletic Football Show) and will always enjoy his narrative. These sit downs are part of the process to come to consensus with like-minded evaluators to grade/stack their boards. Then its team fits, which will be extra hard to guess with all 2022 movement in front offices and coaching staffs/trees. Now if there is a boycott of the Combine then that would add even more question marks for teams to finish big boards.

Does anyone here have any sense of Nick Caserio scouting approach/parameters? Does Lance have the inside connection to this Texan war room & how it attacks the 2022 Draft?

"He lacks explosive get-off and has below-average length"

I was saying this about Hutchinson months ago in 1 of these draft threads & a few people here disagreed. Dude will be an average NFL DE.....& that's if he's able to stay healthy.

Last edited:
What about the 15 positive things Zierlein said about Hutchinson?

Most of that is filler stuff. Allow me to summarize: He's a workout warrior & has a good motor. Most prospects have that kind of stuff put into their draft profile in 1 way or another by these analysts to give the appearance that they're being impartial and/or are being fair in how they evaluate....can't be critical of these guys without dropping some "good football character" positives in there too.

'Won't consistently get the edge on tackles with his get off or quickness'

'Non-stop motor'

Watching Watt here for years, This somewhat held true. he really didn't do alot of his damage with TFL's by beating tackles to the edge..it was done by jumping/slicing down inside on them.....or playing from the inside against slower guards & doing the same thing. but he could do that as a quicker than average 290 lb man with elite arm length to keep tackles' hands off him. Hutchinson not only won't be able to play down on the inside like Watt...his reach is not anywhere close to Watt's nor is he some quick twitch guy that can beat these tackles around the corner.

He's closer to Brooks Reed than he is to JJ Watt...& Reed had burst & was faster than this kid is now.

Last edited:
Watching Watt here for years, This somewhat held true. he really didn't do alot of his damage with TFL's by beating tackles to the edge..it was done by jumping/slicing down inside on them.....or playing from the inside against slower guards & doing the same thing. but he could do that as a quicker than average 290 lb man with elite arm length to keep tackles' hands off him. Hutchinson not only won't be able to play down on the inside like Watt...his reach is not anywhere close to Watt's nor is he some quick twitch guy that can beat these tackles around the corner.

He's closer to Brooks Reed than he is to JJ Watt...& Reed had burst & was faster than this kid is now.
Closer to Brooks Reed than JJ Watt ? Ouch !
But I dunno how close is Walker to Mike Mamula ?

Closer to Brooks Reed than JJ Watt ? Ouch !
But I dunno how close is Walker to Mike Mamula ?

brooks Reed coming out: 6’2 263 lbs

40 yd: 4.66
3 cone: 7.11
20 yd s: 4.28
Vert: 30.5

arm length: 32 1/4
Hand size: 10

Hutchison: 6’7 260 lbs

40 yd: 4.74
3 cone: 6.73
20 yd s: 4.15
Vert: 36

arm length: 32 1/8
Hand size: 10 1/4

"He lacks explosive get-off and has below-average length"

I was saying this about Hutchinson months ago in 1 of these draft threads & a few people here disagreed. Dude will be an average NFL DE.....& that's if he's able to stay healthy.

He will be a Winstrom/Frank Clark/Dee Ford type DE.

Back