Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kollar hired to coach D-line

So in your mind we will be targeting one of the following?

DT BJ Raji
DE Aaron Maybin
DE Everette Brown
DE Brian Orakpo
DE Michael Johnson

DT BJ Raji
DE Aaron Maybin
DE Everette Brown
DE Brian Orakpo
DE Michael Johnson

I watched a good chunk of the Senior Bowl practice this morning (it was broadcasted on NFLN) and BJ Raji was wrecking shop. He was unblockable in one on one drills and had a mean streak about him that the coaches there loved. Unfortunately I think his stock is only going to go up and I doubt he'll be there at 15. Aaron Maybin may be too small and probably fits a 3-4 better. Brown, Orakpo and Johnson are all studs and would be excellent.

Lance, do you think this hire and the new defensive scheme could impact Travis Johnson's game much? Also, what round is Hood projected to go?

Johnson could be a backup d-lineman, but they will probably look to go cheaper. Hood is projected to go in the 2nd, but he is helping himself so far.

Thanks for the feedback, Lance.

Think he can make TJ and AO work? Would they suit what "Killer" Kollar wants to see in his DT's?

Well supposedly Okoye was that kind of DT. Hell, I thought he was coming out of college. If Okoye doesn't get it done and start to show signs of being a factor this next season under Kollar, then it probably won't happen. Amobi just doesn't hold up at the point of attack so you might as well try and play him in gaps.

DT BJ Raji
DE Aaron Maybin
DE Everette Brown
DE Brian Orakpo
DE Michael Johnson

Raji will probably be gone as will Brown, but if not, both guys would probably be priorities with Maybin and Johnson next in line. I'm not sure Orakpo's edge speed is going to have him rated in the top 18 picks to be honest. Scouts in this area like him, but they don't love him as an upper-echelon DE

This all sounds good and gets me excited to think about an aggressive defense to go with our potent offense, we could make a huge jump this year. Of course optimism runs high in the offseason. This year I am going to do my best to remain cautiously optimistic.

However, I do feel much better about the hires on that side of the ball when we read this kind of insider info. Thanks LZ.

EDIT- please disregard repeat questions as you've answered some already.

Lance, thanks for the link/article! This is great news, I really like this style of play a lot more than the read and react crap. Basically all 4 D-linemen get in the backfield... an then pursue the ball carrier, correct?

This is obviously what Mario and Amobi need to be doing. As far as the other two positions, it seems Travis still has a place and we obviously need another DE.

I've really been high on BJ Raji because he possesses such a great ability to stop the run and rush the passer (complete all around type of DT). Maybe though, this pushes a DT like Peria Jerry up our boards- he and Amobi would be two really good penetrating DTs next to each other.

As far as DE- the top of the draft seems to be littered with these 3-4 OLB mold of guys. Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, etc. Any input on how Bush/Kollar may view the use of 240-260 lbd RDE?

One last question concerns how the LBs are used with this type of DL pressure. It seems to me if all the linemen are getting upfield it could really make offenses do a lot of screens or dump off passes to the RBs or may allow the RB to slip through a crack for big gains. In anycase, does this mean that the LBs will be roaming more or less? Will they be more focused on the RBs or moreso in covage? If some of the top pass rushers are gone would Mauluga, Laurinitis be possibilities? What are the expectations on LB and/or S blitzes?

Thanks again... looks like we got the main pieces in place as far as the coaching staff goes!

Raji will probably be gone as will Brown, but if not, both guys would probably be priorities with Maybin and Johnson next in line. I'm not sure Orakpo's edge speed is going to have him rated in the top 18 picks to be honest. Scouts in this area like him, but they don't love him as an upper-echelon DE

You really think that Raji will be gone in the top 15? How many defensive lineman do you think are going to be taken by the time the Texans pick???
I look for Brown, Johnson and Orakpo to all be gone by 15.

EDIT- please disregard repeat questions as you've answered some already.

Lance, thanks for the link/article! This is great news, I really like this style of play a lot more than the read and react crap. Basically all 4 D-linemen get in the backfield... an then pursue the ball carrier, correct?

This is obviously what Mario and Amobi need to be doing. As far as the other two positions, it seems Travis still has a place and we obviously need another DE.

I've really been high on BJ Raji because he possesses such a great ability to stop the run and rush the passer (complete all around type of DT). Maybe though, this pushes a DT like Peria Jerry up our boards- he and Amobi would be two really good penetrating DTs next to each other.

As far as DE- the top of the draft seems to be littered with these 3-4 OLB mold of guys. Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, etc. Any input on how Bush/Kollar may view the use of 240-260 lbd RDE?

One last question concerns how the LBs are used with this type of DL pressure. It seems to me if all the linemen are getting upfield it could really make offenses do a lot of screens or dump off passes to the RBs or may allow the RB to slip through a crack for big gains. In anycase, does this mean that the LBs will be roaming more or less? Will they be more focused on the RBs or moreso in covage? If some of the top pass rushers are gone would Mauluga, Laurinitis be possibilities? What are the expectations on LB and/or S blitzes?

Thanks again... looks like we got the main pieces in place as far as the coaching staff goes!

Most Tampa 2 defensive fronts just try and get pressure with their front four and they don't blitz a ton. If they do, they might bring one more, but that is about it. I'm not worried about all this tweener talk regarding DEs who are "too small". The Bears and Bills have both had DEs who played in the 250s so I think it is overblown.

You really think that Raji will be gone in the top 15? How many defensive lineman do you think are going to be taken by the time the Texans pick???
I look for Brown, Johnson and Orakpo to all be gone by 15.

I'm in the middle of my first mock draft and I have Everette Brown gone to the Packers and Raji is getting ready to come off the board shortly thereafter. I only think 2 or 3 d-linemen at the most will be gone by 15. Johnson and Orakpo's stock might be a little more fluid until April.

I'm in the middle of my first mock draft and I have Everette Brown gone to the Packers and Raji is getting ready to come off the board shortly thereafter. I only think 2 or 3 d-linemen at the most will be gone by 15. Johnson and Orakpo's stock might be a little more fluid until April.

With that being said... Do you think that the Texans will lean towards secondary? I think Davis and Moore will be there. I would think that Gibbs might ask for another young playmaker in the first round. Although, I do think that another beast up front would do wonders for us.

Isn't Travis Johnson in a contract year????? Kollar may turn TJ into an All-Pro for '09.:bat: :aggressive:

Is that possible???

The Travis Johnson that I watched doesn't have an all-pro bone in his body. He gets beat off of the line, driven into the second level and never gets to the qb.

Is that possible???

The Travis Johnson that I watched doesn't have an all-pro bone in his body. He gets beat off of the line, driven into the second level and never gets to the qb.

True, but he was playing out of position- or, at least, he was being asked to do very different things than he will now. So, given that the guy has some talent and intensity, there's at least hope that we'll see a much better player going forward.

LZ, thanks for sharing. If the Texans move to having the DL mostly go for penetration, would they then want a bigger middle linebacker like Maualuga or Laurainitis, who should be better able to shed blocks than Ryans? I think Ryans would be just as good outside as he has inside in the scheme they've had.

Another uninspired "meh" defensive coaching move by the Texans.

Why do I feel like the Texans are resigned to getting the folks who are in the middle of their class rather than at the top?

Why do I feel like the Texans are resigned to getting the folks who are in the middle of their class rather than at the top?

Personally, I think that this is a good choice for this particular team.

Guy with a lot of fire, lots of experience, gets the most out of his players, also played the NFL game for a good number of years, has had success in the league. That's the sort of guy a young defensive group can listen to.

If someone is a top assistant for a team, it is very very difficult to get them to go somewhere else except for a head coaching job.

I think your expectations are not terribly realistic. Name names. Who would you have liked the Texans to get instead?

You can't wait until Kubiak's kids are old enough to coach can you .... JK .... kinda .

Who in your mind is at the top of DL coaches? Since you know so much about DL coaches explain to all of us so as we can know as much as you. The simple reason why you feel like you do is because your blinded by your wanting Kubiak fired.

It is as if we have a bunch of folks on here who just love to piss and moan and not have one bit of information to go a long with it. Oh and one other thing, I have heard repeated comments about Kubiak and Smith doing bad jobs of interviews and research on who would be a good choice or the right choice. With the chrons crack reporting staff how in the hell would we know what Kubiak and Smith has done? RJ is to busy getting his knickers in a bunch and McChin is to busy writing some story that happened 15 years ago.

:headhurts:

I'm guessing Frank Okam is probably out of a job if we're not going to need a big huge guy as a DT...

With that being said... Do you think that the Texans will lean towards secondary? I think Davis and Moore will be there. I would think that Gibbs might ask for another young playmaker in the first round. Although, I do think that another beast up front would do wonders for us.

Unless they plan on giving up on either Dunta, Molden or Bennett, I can't see them considering a CB and I don't really see a safety there I would take at 15.

LZ, thanks for sharing. If the Texans move to having the DL mostly go for penetration, would they then want a bigger middle linebacker like Maualuga or Laurainitis, who should be better able to shed blocks than Ryans? I think Ryans would be just as good outside as he has inside in the scheme they've had.

You would think that a team would want a bigger LB, but the Colts, Bears and Bucs have all played with speed at that position.

Interesting point that a commenter made in my blog post about the subject:

The link is that GM Rick Smith played for Purdue when Kollar was coaching at Purdue.

See, you can't just look for relatives and Bronco connections. You also have to look for Purdue and Colorado State. :cool:

(All that being said, I think this is a good hire for this team).

Does Kubiak not understand that if he fails to improve the D and miss the playoffs yet again, he is going to get canned?

He's a head coach in the NFL. He knows he's going to get canned eventually no matter what he does, so I really don't think he spends any more than two seconds out of the day worrying about it.

Who in your mind is at the top of DL coaches? Since you know so much about DL coaches explain to all of us so as we can know as much as you. The simple reason why you feel like you do is because your blinded by your wanting Kubiak fired.

It is as if we have a bunch of folks on here who just love to piss and moan and not have one bit of information to go a long with it. Oh and one other thing, I have heard repeated comments about Kubiak and Smith doing bad jobs of interviews and research on who would be a good choice or the right choice. With the chrons crack reporting staff how in the hell would we know what Kubiak and Smith has done? RJ is to busy getting his knickers in a bunch and McChin is to busy writing some story that happened 15 years ago.

That . . was a 1st round knockout. Rep that muff-hugga! :muscles:

Simmer down, Sally. I personally don't like the hire, period. I'm allowed to have MY OWN OPINION, right?

Believe it or not, my not liking this hire has nothing to do with my believing Kubiak should be fired. I ****ing don't like the hire, period.

I'm sick of people thinking that those who want Kubiak gone are just "pissing and moaning." I want nothing but the best for the Texans.

Simmer down, Sally. I personally don't like the hire, period. I'm allowed to have MY OWN OPINION, right?

Believe it or not, my not liking this hire has nothing to do with my believing Kubiak should be fired. I ****ing don't like the hire, period.

I'm sick of people thinking that those who want Kubiak gone are just "pissing and moaning." I want nothing but the best for the Texans.

You have my permission to be wrong.

:jk:

You have my permission to be wrong.

:jk:

I hope I am wrong.

Like I said, I want nothing but the best for the Texans. If that means the coaching staff turns it up next season and turns us into winners, then GREAT.

I would be a ****ing i d i o t, full of hubris, if I only cared about being right instead of wanting to see this team in the playoffs and beyond.

After listening to the press conference, I already like Kollar. Reminds me of my friend who throws in a "and ****" in conversation.

Not trying to be a wise guy here, just curious who you consider to be at the top of the class in terms of DL coaches.

Okay, you don't like the hire, period.

Who would you have preferred for the Texans to sign instead, question mark?

As I mentioned, most consistently productive position coaches are retained by their teams or go on to become head coaches or are fired head coaches who might be better position coaches.

All things considered and for what this Texans team needs, this seems to be a pretty good hire.

You still have yet to lay out exactly why you don't like this hire and what names you wanted to be brought in.

So who would you have gotten that is available? I mean, I will be honest I have no clue as to who the hell is a good or a bad D-Line coach. Obviously you do so please educate me on D-Line coaches so I am more informed.

By the way, I would take an educated guess that Kubiak is very much aware of what this next season means since he just fired 3 coaches and S&C coaches who was and is the greatest S&C to ever walk this earth (according to RJ).

Well I would of educated you but you just said that you wouldn't know one way or the other so me dropping any kind of knowledge would be a waste.

8 years was the last time that he has had a DLine unit that was stout against the run. 8. his rankings, from newest to oldest, 22, 25, 28, 29, 20, 14, 3, 13, 29, 2, 8, 26, 9, 14, 15, 28, 23, 3.

I hate to bring it to everyones attention but stopping the run is the key to winning this division. Chris Johnson, LenWhale White, MJD, Taylor, Addia.

Lets also not forget that Young isn't going to sit on the sideline forever and its not like he forgot how to run and throw the ball. And David Garrard has done a pretty good job on us as well.

Its not rocket science, its football. Stop the run, make them one dimensional and they will be forced to pass. That is when you can go and get your sacks.

Okay, you don't like the hire, period.

Who would you have preferred for the Texans to sign instead, question mark?

As I mentioned, most consistently productive position coaches are retained by their teams or go on to become head coaches or are fired head coaches who might be better position coaches.

All things considered and for what this Texans team needs, this seems to be a pretty good hire.

I don't know if he's still available, but I think Seattle has had an underrated defense for a couple years now and Dwaine Board might have been a good fit given his past years as a DE and potential to make Mario even more dangerous.

I think we'd be better equipped to get to the QB, but I'm not really impressed with his run stopping stats. But compared to Buffalo, they were statically better.

Good catch, HB.

It's not sexy, but I like the looks of his track record. If he can add another 12-15 sacks per year from the D line in a more aggressive defense, our secondary should look better instantly.
If we could just about DOUBLE our sacks from the DL, look out Super Bowl!! Hell, I bet Petey could get to the Pro Bowl with a DL that got 30+ sacks. I'll faint the 1st time I see our DL get constant pressure on ANY QB with ANY line in front of him.
Posted this on the other DL coach thread:

Bills Website:

http://www.kffl.com/player/15023/NFL

Supposedly his full name is William Wallace Kollar...anybody want to wear kilts and get painted up if our D-Line becomes a dominant force? Kidding...sort-of
I'm REALLY trying to resist the urge to type FREEDOM in the biggest size possible. If someone on our DL NOT name Mario Williams can get double digit sacks, I'll wear a damned bikini to a game. It'll get pretty embarassing for all parties involved, but I'll do it.

I watched a good chunk of the Senior Bowl practice this morning (it was broadcasted on NFLN) and BJ Raji was wrecking shop. He was unblockable in one on one drills and had a mean streak about him that the coaches there loved. Unfortunately I think his stock is only going to go up and I doubt he'll be there at 15. Aaron Maybin may be too small and probably fits a 3-4 better. Brown, Orakpo and Johnson are all studs and would be excellent.
Maybe we have a trade in place with Buffalo since we took their awful DL coach off their hands...One mans trash is another mans treasure...

In all seriousness, I like the hire. I won't start bashing anyone til I see the product on the field. An aggressive, attacking D has the chance to get birned, but also has the chance to make game changing plays. What we've had the last few years is a passive D that gets burned more often than microwave popcorn and game changing plays were as rare as a hens tooth. I'm all for the aggressive approach. If we want sexy coaches, give the cheerleades a whistle. I whistle at them every time I see them.

When listening to this and Frank Bush talk about attacking and aggression, it really got me thinking about how much our offensive identity has changed.

Before Kubes, we had a very conservative "run, run, pass punt" offense.
Kubes came in and shook things up. We turn the ball over more now, but we move it much more effectively

I wonder if we're seeing a similar pattern with the D.
We could b egoing from conservative to aggressive, which will mean more turnovers and more big plays

I don't know the guy. Never heard his name before today. When I read that he was Buffalo's DL coach, I was impressed.

I don't know how they've done in recent years against the run, or what their sack totals were for the last 3 or 4 years. But if he's the guy that helped Aaron Schoebel get double digit sacks in '05 & '06, I'm down with it.

I've watched a little bit of Schoebel for the last few years, and the guy seems to really understands the game, he sets up his opponent, and he uses a variety of techniques to beat him.

I hate that our guys seem to not be prepared for the teams we play. They don't seem to understand tendencies.... they don't sniff out screens... they get pushed inside on runs to the outside, and outside on runs to the inside, running backs run past them, as they try to get to the QB.

If Koller can teach our boys how to prepare for games, I'll be happy.

There is some funny stuff goin' on in this thread. When it comes to position coaches even the football nerdiest of us have no real idea if it is a good or bad hire. We basically have a handful of things to guide us:

1) Experience we like or don't like.
2) the general performance of a side (defense in this case) of the ball
3) a media member who claims to know
4) some sort of name recognition (former player, related to someone, etc)
5) an interview with the press

Outside of that we literally have no clue as to who is a good position coach or not. I mean how many of us w/o looking can name the Texans WR coach much less 5 DL coaches from around the league. And even if you can do you really know what type of job each is doing?

Thanks to those who have done some version of I don't know or I will just wait and see, because that is the truth.

Add me to the list of those who like this hire. Travis Johnson, Deljuan Robinson, and Amobi Okoye are all guys who should benefit from this hire since Kollar preaches penetration and that is supposed to be their strong-suits. On top of that, he's described as a motivator and may be able to reach Johnson in a way that Jethro wasn't able to. Ultimately we're going to have to wait and see on this one, just like any other hire, but there is definite reason to be optimistic.

It's quite interesting he was named assistant head coach as well, rather than defensive assistant or a title like that.

Anyway, in 2006, the Bills got an extra pick in the 5th round and picked up Kyle Williams. Kollar turned him into a pretty good DT. Anyone wanna guess how they got that extra pick?

It's quite interesting he was named assistant head coach as well, rather than defensive assistant or a title like that.

Anyway, in 2006, the Bills got an extra pick in the 5th round and picked up Kyle Williams. Kollar turned him into a pretty good DT. Anyone wanna guess how they got that extra pick?

I'm thinking the AHC title was so that we could get him without Buffalo blocking him from coming over.

I'm pretty sure they got Williams with the pick we traded them for Moulds. Looks like that worked out pretty well for them.

This from LZ

Bill Kollar: He's what's for defense
If you are wondering what to expect from the Texans new defensive line coach, then wonder no more. He wants his defensive line attacking and getting up the field. Read and react? Give me a break.

Bill Kollar coached under defensive coordinator Lovie Smith in St. Louis and under defensive coordinator Perry Fewell in Buffalo. Fewell coached under Lovie Smith in Chicago and Lovie is from the Tony Dungy school of defense. What does that all mean?

Bill Kollar's defensive lines are going to shoot the gaps, play with a tremendous motor and do everything in their power to disrupt without having to run twists all day. Look for the Texans to upgrade that defensive line somewhat because they aren't exactly built for Kollar's style of coaching just yet. A new defensive end with speed could change all of that.

Kollar's hiring also signals to me that you can throw out the idea that the Texans will be looking for a great big space eater at NT. That isn't going to happen. In fact, guys like "Ziggy" Hood or B.J. Raji would be the type of guys the Texans would look at on the interior and Paul Kruger or Everette Brown would be who they might look for at DE. This isn't Kollar's defense, but his background is explosive edge DEs and high motor DTs

LZ do you really think Raji is a possibility? He is my absolute favorite for #15. Who would you take if Brown and Raji are both still there when we pick?

There is some funny stuff goin' on in this thread. When it comes to position coaches even the football nerdiest of us have no real idea if it is a good or bad hire. We basically have a handful of things to guide us:
Don't forget
6) Magic 8-Ball

Magic 8-Ball, will Bill Kollar be a good defensive line coach for the Houston Texans?

magic8ball.jpg

Well I would of educated you but you just said that you wouldn't know one way or the other so me dropping any kind of knowledge would be a waste.

8 years was the last time that he has had a DLine unit that was stout against the run. 8. his rankings, from newest to oldest, 22, 25, 28, 29, 20, 14, 3, 13, 29, 2, 8, 26, 9, 14, 15, 28, 23, 3.

I hate to bring it to everyones attention but stopping the run is the key to winning this division. Chris Johnson, LenWhale White, MJD, Taylor, Addia.

Lets also not forget that Young isn't going to sit on the sideline forever and its not like he forgot how to run and throw the ball. And David Garrard has done a pretty good job on us as well.

Its not rocket science, its football. Stop the run, make them one dimensional and they will be forced to pass. That is when you can go and get your sacks.

Yeah, stopping the run is so important to winning the division.

Signed,

The 2002 - 2007 Colts

As far as Young goes, he would have to learn how to pass first before he forgets how to.

By the way Tenn is easy to make one dimensional. As we proved to the rest of the league in week 16. The hard part is making a team that has a legit running game and passing game one dimensional.

At least Jen mentioned who she would rather have and for that I respect her and her views. Jen I am not sure that anyone on Seattle's staff is available.

1) Experience we like or don't like.
2) the general performance of a side (defense in this case) of the ball
3) a media member who claims to know
4) some sort of name recognition (former player, related to someone, etc)
5) an interview with the press

Outside of that we literally have no clue as to who is a good position coach or not. I mean how many of us w/o looking can name the Texans WR coach much less 5 DL coaches from around the league. And even if you can do you really know what type of job each is doing?

Thanks to those who have done some version of I don't know or I will just wait and see, because that is the truth.

True, you never know how everyone will mesh either.
Here's what we do know... Kollar is a well-respected coach in the NFL community and has 19 years experience as a DL coach, you don't get that kind of recognition and time in this league or any other for that matter if your not doing something right.

There is some concern over his D-Lines ability to stop the run thru the years. Five times in the top 10 and three times in the top three with two different teams isn't bad. Let me ask you this...
Do you think it is Karl Dunbar or Kevin and Pat Williams that make Minnesota so tough to run against?

Do you think it is John Mitchell or Dick Lebeau that makes Pittsburgh one of the best defenses in the league year in and year out?

To be a good defense it takes a combination of players, coaches and scheme.

Brown and Raji? I'd go Raji for his run-stopping and we've got a couple high-effort guys coming off the edge right now in Bulman, Cochran, possibly McClover comes in after his injury and makes some noise. DT we've got TJ, who despite all his physical attributes can't or won't or just doesn't put it together to be a force that he probably could be. We've also got Robinson who was a spark plug but we'll see if he's truly an impact player next year. Hard call because either way you have to cover up guys who are hard working guys.

Back