Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kevin Walter??

No starters lost until they sign with another team.

ok mr. technicality. are you saying that Dunta, Walter, and Pitts won't be signed by another team? cmon now.

expect Walter and Dunta to be done today and Pitts sometime in the next week or so. there is an outside chance that Pitts could be re-signed by the Texans but its not looking likely based on Pitts' actions and words and the franchise's currently perceived lack of interest.

that takes cash up front and not chicken feed. mcnair won't do this because its too cost prohibitive and can be risky if the player is injured and/or ineffective. any owner using the cap as an excuse are lying to your face. there are risks in frontloading but that is how it is. seems like other teams are willing to spend money....sucks that our owner is in windfall profit mode.

plain and simple. if you want the player, you have to pay him. we want the player we just dont want to pay him.

You're just spewing now. It doesn't cost any more to call it a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus. The name and the accounting change not the check handed to the player. For example McNair handed Smith a $12.5 mil check when he signed up last year.

ok mr. technicality. are you saying that Dunta, Walter, and Pitts won't be signed by another team? cmon now.

expect Walter and Dunta to be done today and Pitts sometime in the next week or so. there is an outside chance that Pitts could be re-signed by the Texans but its not looking likely based on Pitts' actions and words and the franchise's currently perceived lack of interest.

Rick Smith said you can't keep everyone. I guess this is what he means? Half kidding there but..yeah certainly not looking good early.

OK, so it's been reported that he's talked with the Ravens and the Bengals, I believe, maybe others. Have the Texans spoken with him? Has he received an offer from the Texans?

OK, so it's been reported that he's talked with the Ravens and the Bengals, I believe, maybe others. Have the Texans spoken with him? Has he received an offer from the Texans?

I asked the same thing earlier and am wondering the same. I'm a little surprised there is talk of him leaving to sign with other teams, yet NO talk of him re-signing here? Only thing we've or rather I've heard from the Texans side is "we want him back".

I can understand the team picking and choosing their battles,and you can't always keep everyone. But as a fan, I'm not seeing them even putting up a fight in any of these battles. So far as I can tell, they aren't even trying to keep their own guys, much less go after complementary pieces.

Did they re-hire Casserly or something?

As long as we get something of value for KW I will be happy. He had a nice year in 2008 as a WR2, outside of that I lose no sleep with him moving on, win win for all parties IMO.

As long as we get something of value for KW I will be happy. He had a nice year in 2008 as a WR2, outside of that I lose no sleep with him moving on, win win for all parties IMO.

How are we going to get anything for him? He's an unrestricted free agent. We just let him walk. We get nothing back, as far as I know.

if he ends up signing a $35 million dollar deal, then he is worth the money. Market dictates your salary, not solely your play. You can think he is only worth $25 million but if someone else pays him more that doesn't mean he isn't worth it, that just means you weren't willing to pony up the money.

Go Texans?

Market dictates salary to a point. Just because someone gets a deal doesn't mean he is worth it. NFL history is littered with players getting big contracts and then not living up to it. I agree that you have to be willing to pony up, but a team must be realistic. This is the first time in the franchise history where the Texans have free agents that other teams might want to sign. I'm talking about starting caliber players of course. Teams lose players every year. The Steelers, the Pats, the Chargers, the Colts have all let starters go and replaced them and continued to win. I'm not suggesting we're there with those teams yet, but we have more depth and talent than ever before. None of the UFAs that we have are so important to the team that they can't be replaced.

How are we going to get anything for him? He's an unrestricted free agent. We just let him walk. We get nothing back, as far as I know.

Total brain fart on my part. However, I still do not see the roof on fire with his possible departure.

eriadoc said:
Did they re-hire Casserly or something?

I've always thought the confidence in Smith as a "great" GM was based more on his being an employee of the Texans than on his performance here. Sure he's improved the roster, but that isn't that surprising given where he started. His job is now becoming more difficult and complex since he has to try to maintain and improve a good roster. He needs to show he can reach the next level as much as the rest of the team.

I think for most good moves he's made there have been offsetting bad ones. As far as I'm concerned he's the GM for a team that has been average or underperforming since he's put his stamp on it.

I think average/underperforming is the mark of the whole team, not just the players. Front office, coaching, player roster - no group stands out to me.

Total brain fart on my part. However, I still do not see the roof on fire with his possible departure.

I agree. I can rationalize any one of these moves so far. In sum total, I'm having a hard time rationalizing it. Whether they keep Walter or not, the team will probably be OK, but I can't fathom why they aren't even showing any real interest. If nothing else, make it more expensive for teams in our conference to lure him away.

The little signings make a big difference in the end.

Depending on what other departures and signings there are they might get a compensatory pick. But that would be in 2011.

McClain_on_NFL Walter should do better than Nate Burleson's five-year, $25 million deal from the Lions.

McClain_on_NFL Walter, who left Cincinnati for Houston as a third-year restricted free agent, doesn't want to leave the Texans but wants the best deal.

McClain_on_NFL The Texans have been working real hard to keep Kevin Walter. Rick Smith started talking to his agent last week and continues to do so.

Per Rotoworld

Kevin Walter-WR-Texans Mar. 5 - 3:01 pm et

The Texans have reportedly been working "real hard" to keep free agent WR Kevin Walter.
GM Rick Smith has been talking to Walter's agent since last week. Though he's coming off a disappointing season in Houston, the reported interest in Walker has the Texans' second-guessing their decision to let him go free. We'll call it the "Darren Sproles effect."

They are going to regret letting him test the FA waters. I think we could have had him cheaper by offering him a fair/to a little high contract, instead of getting into a bidding war with other teams. I'd be very surprised if we are able to keep him at this stage of the game.

McClain_on_NFL Walter should do better than Nate Burleson's five-year, $25 million deal from the Lions.

McClain_on_NFL Walter, who left Cincinnati for Houston as a third-year restricted free agent, doesn't want to leave the Texans but wants the best deal.

McClain_on_NFL The Texans have been working real hard to keep Kevin Walter. Rick Smith started talking to his agent last week and continues to do so.

Y'all have to consider the source. The Gobbler is coming to his own conclusions. I truly doubt Smith is keeping Gobbler in the loop.

They are going to regret letting him test the FA waters. I think we could have had him cheaper by offering him a fair/to a little high contract, instead of getting into a bidding war with other teams. I'd be very surprised if we are able to keep him at this stage of the game.

Yup!! Agreed, we shouldn't have let it get to this point.

Maybe the agent leaked a little sumtin, sumtin.

That very well could be true, but are we to believe the Gobbler? I'm not until he comes up with a source. Otherwise, his opinion ain't no better than any of ours.

For all we know, K-dub might have a verbal agreement with Smith that will allow us a chance to match. Doubtful, but just as viable as what comes from Gobbler

That very well could be true, but are we to believe the Gobbler? I'm not until he comes up with a source. Otherwise, his opinion ain't no better than any of ours.

For all we know, K-dub might have a verbal agreement with Smith that will allow us a chance to match. Doubtful, but just as viable as what comes from Gobbler

I hear you. Maybe I was merely trying to stoke the fire. I.E. stir up the hornets nest.

:stirpot:

The Texans have reportedly been working "real hard" to keep free agent WR Kevin Walter.
GM Rick Smith has been talking to Walter's agent since last week. Though he's coming off a disappointing season in Houston, the reported interest in Walker has the Texans' second-guessing their decision to let him go free. We'll call it the "Darren Sproles effect."

They can have WALKER. We'll keep WALTER ;)

At least the Chargers were smart enough to float the idea out there ahead of time and then gauge the interest, thus giving them the option of tendering him at the last minute. Rick Smith just gets caught with his pants down. Oh well, at least it isn't anyone really high end, like Demeco.

Ravens may be close to acquiring Boldin. Obviously they were targeting Walter, so that may be good news on our front? Though, others teams still out there such as Cincy

At least the Chargers were smart enough to float the idea out there ahead of time and then gauge the interest, thus giving them the option of tendering him at the last minute. Rick Smith just gets caught with his pants down. Oh well, at least it isn't anyone really high end, like Demeco.

Tendering him was never an option. His situation has nothing in common with Sproles.

Tendering him was never an option. His situation has nothing in common with Sproles.

No, not tendering, you're right. But gauging interest and then offering him a competitive contract before he hit FA might have been a good idea. Again, it's just KW - no biggie in and of itself.

No, not tendering, you're right. But gauging interest and then offering him a competitive contract before he hit FA might have been a good idea. Again, it's just KW - no biggie in and of itself.

How do you gauge interest before free agency starts without tampering or collusion?

Baltimore is going after Boldin!!!!

Damn dirty birds keep your talons off our #2!!!!

Rick Smith, get KW signed for goodness sake. Why didn't we transition tag him or something.... (Could we have even done that, I don't know how that one works! Think I'll Wikipedia it.)

Kudos to the Texans!! They got a deal done that is much more reasonable than the Burleson one, and most importantly, kept a key player.

If you're going to build slowly, you have to keep your guys.

Just got home and saw that he was resigned. That's great news! I think this definately keeps us from having to waste a high pick on a receiver and will alllow us to not create another need. We have a solid group of receivers with Walter as a key piece puzzle. Good job Smith in getting KW back.....now resign Ryans, Daniels, and Pollard and I'll be one happy camper.

For the record, I didn't care if we picked up any FA from another team, I just didn't want to lose some of our key players.

Just got home and saw that he was resigned. That's great news! I think this definately keeps us from having to waste a high pick on a receiver and will alllow us to not create another need. We have a solid group of receivers with Walter as a key piece puzzle. Good job Smith in getting KW back.....now resign Ryans, Daniels, and Pollard and I'll be one happy camper.

For the record, I didn't care if we picked up any FA from another team, I just didn't want to lose some of our key players.

I reckon you and the wife should really move closer to the city!!! :hides:

That is pretty much how I feel as well. After all the press saying that the Texans were not planning on being big players in FA and after the team track record over the years, I was just hoping to lock up the talent we have here.

I reckon you and the wife should really move closer to the city!!! :hides:

lol.....not a chance! :foottap: We were at her parents house visiting, not a night on the town.

It's a possibility tomorrow night though, our daughter is spending the night with one of her friends so we may actually be able to get out for a change.

lol.....not a chance! :foottap: We were at her parents house visiting, not a night on the town.

It's a possibility tomorrow night though, our daughter is spending the night with one of her friends so we may actually be able to get out for a change.

Right on my brother...... Come visit me at a place on Westheimer, near Chimney Rock. :D

This is a good thing, I'm glad we signed him back.

4919.jpg

:jam: :cool:

Back