Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kasey Studdard to start

I was very supportive of our trade down and the selection of Brown, but even at that thought he wouldn't start game 1. I was fine with Salaam for the first few games with Brown seeing significant time during the game... and then he'd probably take over the starting job starting weeks 4-8. He's completely surprised me on how NFL ready he actually was.

I can't say enough good things about our Drafts for 2006 through 2008 (and our free agent pick ups during that time like Sage, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, etc). I love being a Texan.

damn draft geeks :heh:

As soon as our young O-linemen get it down, we'll be fine.

Let me take this example, as I just finish reviewing the first offensive series against the Broncos in the first pre-season game.

Taylor was robbed at least 2 yd a pop on 3 carries.
1. Myers was late off the snap and allowed the defender to get into the backfield and chased the play.
2. Duane Brown made the same mistake.
3. Winston missed a cut block on the next level.

I know I've seen more of those during other running plays.
All of our starting O-linemen made a minor mistake here and there that limited the running game.

Also, Jacoby Jones missed a block and that allowed the corner to knife in and stop Taylor on another run.

Also, Jacoby Jones missed a block and that allowed the corner to knife in and stop Taylor on another run.
Yeah, I just finished reviewing the first half.

In JJ defense, the Broncos always have the CB blitz in their package.
JJ was looking first to take the DB downfield.

Later on toward the end of the half on a pass play, Taylor wasn't looking for the CB to block, and Sage was decked. Sage wasn't looking for it either.

The coaching staff needs to prepare the players better.

Anyhow, the Broncos played more 1st stringers than the Texans in the 2nd quarter, especially on the lines.

Briesel did not fulfill his assignment on another Taylor's run.
I think there was also another player or two involved. Driessen and maybe Myers or Butler.

So basically, Taylor should have had a better day, but did not get enough help from his blockers.

Can someone please help me understand the excitement about Kasey Studdard? Every time I see him, he seems to be off-balanced and kind of stiff. It looks like he's got really short arms and isn't very athletic. While I do like his tenacity, it appears to me that he gets beaten badly as often as he wins his battle. Granted, I've always struggled ascessing individual performances on the interior line. I really would like someone to explain what they've personally seen that would make one think Studdard could be a good guard.

Yeah, I just finished reviewing the first half.

In JJ defense, the Broncos always have the CB blitz in their package.
JJ was looking first to take the DB downfield.

Later on toward the end of the half on a pass play, Taylor wasn't looking for the CB to block, and Sage was decked. Sage wasn't looking for it either.

The coaching staff needs to prepare the players better.

Anyhow, the Broncos played more 1st stringers than the Texans in the 2nd quarter, especially on the lines.

Briesel did not fulfill his assignment on another Taylor's run.
I think there was also another player or two involved. Driessen and maybe Myers or Butler.

So basically, Taylor should have had a better day, but did not get enough help from his blockers.

I thought Taylor started to get a feel for the ZBS in the third quarter. I still expect him to have a significant role at RB this season. Realize that he's not only learning a new system but also trying to trust his surgically repaired knee... usually that takes a little while and I think one could see that he ran with more authority in the Saints game.

Last edited:
Can someone please help me understand the excitement about Kasey Studdard? Every time I see him, he seems to be off-balanced and kind of stiff. It looks like he's got really short arms and isn't very athletic.
I share your views of Studdard, dalemurphy. Of course he's a UT guy so just that automatically gives him a fan base here in the city.
He may be OK in Coach Gibbs system, but if he does then his success will totally invalidate the argument than athleticism is a prerequisite to play effectively in the ZBS.

ZBS Guru Gibbs to student Kasey Studdard...

Gibbs: Kasey-san, you'll be starting at left guard against the Cowboys of Dallas this Friday night.

Studdard: Do you really think I'm ready?

Gibbs: Just to trust the picture Kasey-san...just to trust the picture.

People like Studdard because of who he is, even if he was an Aggie or a Lobo. He is a throwback player, that gets it done on the field by executing, getting to the second level and being nasty. Who doesn't want to see that type of player do well?

Can someone please help me understand the excitement about Kasey Studdard? Every time I see him, he seems to be off-balanced and kind of stiff. It looks like he's got really short arms and isn't very athletic. While I do like his tenacity, it appears to me that he gets beaten badly as often as he wins his battle. Granted, I've always struggled ascessing individual performances on the interior line. I really would like someone to explain what they've personally seen that would make one think Studdard could be a good guard.

I think most of the excitement does come from the fact that he is a Longhorn. I do like some of the things I've seen him do. He has good punch when engaging a defender. He seems to have good upper body strength and decent enough feet. He isn't the biggest guy in the world, but he is pretty athletic for his size. I think what the Texans like most about him is that he plays with an edge. From what I've seen, KS isn't afraid to get dirty, and I think that is the key for an o-lineman playing under Alex Gibbs.

ZBS Guru Gibbs to student Kasey Studdard...

Gibbs: Kasey-san, you'll be starting at left guard against the Cowboys of Dallas this Friday night.

Studdard: Do you really think I'm ready?

Gibbs: Just to trust the picture Kasey-san...just to trust the picture.

LOL! Are you sure you've quit the good stuff?

Back