Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

June 1st

June 1st will come and go tommorow. My question is, do you think Texans will sign anyone?

I just read that Kenyatta Walker from the Bucs may be released. I wouldn't mind giving him a chance, you can never have enough quality OLine on one team. Plus, Walker is only 25, still quite young. :twocents:

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
i would love to see trotter in a texans uniform, but i doubt it will happen...cc said if we signed anyone, it would be back-up, so i'm not expecting a big signing...if we do, great...

I read that same article Fiddy. In that article, it says Trotter only has one year left in him. I don't know where K Walker could play, maybe a backup. Maybe if Wand doesn't pan out, Walker can step up and play at either tackle position. Not sure.

I highly doubt Kenyatta Walker will be released.
Like I said before, he is still in his rookie contract and wouldn't save Tampa enough money to give up on him so soon. They got more expensive guys with less of an upside.

aj.

All Pro
Some local (St. Pete) insight into Walker's situation. http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/28/Bucs/Walker_top_bet_for_Ju.shtml
Sounds like there may be more than cap hit at issue.

I highly doubt the Texans do any more in free agency. They are up against the cap themselves at only $4.4 under per Clayton (and that's top 51 players - not including the ~500k for the 52nd and 53rd player. If I recall, their rookie pool is in the neighborhood of 4 million so they will be using most of their existing cap space to sign the rooks and leave a little margin for IR and practice squad players during the season.

Fiddy

All Pro
Bottle-O-Bud said:
I think Trotter is just another "Clemons" waiting to happen.
Yeah he could be, but when you have Troy Evans backing up Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman you need help in some way and Trotter could be that help.

keyfro

Veteran
well i'm sure the one spot casserly will look at the most is d-line...i think we might pick up one quality back-up at the NT position other than that i don't see us making a serious run at anyone...san diego on the other hand needs all the help they can get

texasguy346

Mod Squad
Even if Trotter would accept a backup role, he might only be able to service as a backup for a year or so. That's not much help for the price you'd have to pay to get him. Don't underestimate Evans as a backup. Granted hes not as flashy or talented as Trotter, but he does have experience in the system and he's a tough hard nosed player. Don't get me wrong, I'd like more depth at LB too, but I don't think picking up a guy out of desperation is the way to go about it. The June 1st cuts have provided slim pickings at best the past couple years since teams have gotten better accustomed to the whole salary cap/dead money situation. The only crucial acquistion made by a team thanks to the June 1 cuts over the past few years I can think of is the Keenan McCardell to Tampa Bay deal. They went on to win the SB that year. The bottom line is I'd take a tough hard nosed player who'll give me all he has no matter what role he plays over a guy with a 'I gotta start or I won't play' mentality. Not a knock on Trotter, but with Evans you already know what you're getting.

J-Man

Waterboy
I was somewhat intrested in Trotter a couple weeks ago, but I honestly do not see us paying top FA dollars to add at best a B+ LB to our already deep group. I think that Evans is an OK back up and he is a excellent ST player.

If Foreman was clearly a hole in our defense (much like Matt Stevens was) then I would be the 1st to line up on the New Linebacker Bandwagon...but, Foreman is solid, he is blue collar and holds up his end so I don't have too many issues with him.

pittbull

Rookie
I know with the recent salary cap dumps, some can get a little pumped up to see whom we can add to our already elustrious team. But fans, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FORGET ABOUT "Chasin'" Jason Gildon. The guy is way over the hill. With the Steelers he truely only had two productive seasons, and is horrible in pass coverage. Last season, he was benched occaisionally for this seasons starter, Clark Haggans, who visited the Texans last season. (I thought he would have been a great pick up last season, and not going with out of shape Charlie Clemons!!!) The Texans would be better off picking up Trotter, beefing up the middle with a harder hitting MLB than Foreman. Gildon didn't get his nickname for making tackles, he was chasing running backs down the field..........and was way behind them!

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Bottle-O-Bud said:
I know the team is interested in trotter, but out LB spot in loaded. I think Trotter is just another "Clemons" waiting to happen.

Was Clemons a 2 time pro-bowler. He is 27, and I think he has at least 4 more quality years left in the tank. He may end up being a Clemons, but I really dont think so. I wouldnt mind signing him or Marcus Bell. Gildon may be a bit too old.

What about these guys to come in to back up NG. They were just cut by Ariz.

Marcus Bell DT
Height: 6-2
Weight: 323
Born: 06/01/1979
College: Memphis
NFL Experience: 4

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks
2001 Ari 13 23 16.0 7 0.5
2002 Ari 16 34 25.0 9 2
2003 Ari 13 23 21.0 2 1

Barron Tanner DT
Height: 6-3
Weight: 347
Born: 09/14/1973
College: Oklahoma
NFL Experience: 7

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks
1997 Mia 16 22 16.0 6
1998 Mia 13 9 5.0 4
1999 Wash 0 0 0.0 0
2000 Ariz 4 5 5.0 0 0
2001 Ariz 16 37 24.0 13 0
2002 Ariz 15 25 16.0 9 2
2003 Ariz 14 17 13.0 4 1

BuffSoldier

Veteran
I have a thread about Bell but the other dude is kinda old, thats why I didnt say anything about him, I think Bell would be a perfect backup, he has the perfect size for a 3-4 NT.

Sorry, just read your other post after i posted, good thread. Tanner is old but he is still only 31 . We can probably get him for less money than Bell, since we don't have a lot of cap space. Plus he is massive, 6'3" 347. All we need is a cheap experienced back-up.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
texansalltheway said:
Sorry, just read your other post after i posted, good thread. Tanner is old but he is still only 31 . We can probably get him for less money than Bell, since we don't have a lot of cap space. Plus he is massive, 6'3" 347. All we need is a cheap experienced back-up.
True he is huge, I wouldnt mind signing either

J-Man

Waterboy
Brock Lesner of WWE fame is trying to catch on with a team...maybe we can get that sumo guy Rakishi to come out for us. He's big enough to be a NT!!
:rofl:

Interesting article about Brock

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4802803.html

TEMPE, ARIZ. -- Brock Lesnar was earning about $9 million a year as a professional wrestler. He owns an eight-seat, twin-engine plane, has a personal pilot and, at 26, lives in a spacious home on 47 acres in Independence, Minn.

He won the 2000 NCAA heavyweight wrestling title with the Gophers, catapulted himself to stardom among World Wrestling Entertainment fanatics as "The Next Big Thing," and became the youngest champion in WWE history.

Fame, fortune. He had it all.

"It was interesting," Lesnar said. "One time, I was walking through the parking lot in Los Angeles. Some guy yells, 'Hey, Brock!' I turn around and it's Shaq. Shaquille O'Neal. He's one of my biggest fans."

How cool is that?

At first, it was "very cool," Lesnar said. Not anymore.

Lesnar works on his strength and balance.Ralph FresoSpecial To Star TribuneIn March, Lesnar walked away from the final five years and about $45 million of his seven-year WWE contract for the chance to play in the NFL, preferably for the Vikings, he said.

"I was miserable," Lesnar said. "How many people in life are miserable but don't . . . do anything about it?"

If Lesnar makes an active NFL roster, he probably would earn the league's rookie minimum of $230,000 a year. That would drop to about $85,000 if he ends up on a practice squad.

Lesnar works out in Tempe, Ariz.Ralph FresoSpecial To Star TribuneOf course, that's assuming someone wants Lesnar. The Vikings are expected to work him out next month but, like every other team, are skeptical because Lesnar hasn't played football since Webster High lost to Aberdeen Roncalli in the first round of the 1995 South Dakota playoffs.

"We have interest in everybody that can help," Vikings coach Mike Tice said. "But it will be a tough, tough transition for Brock being that he hasn't played much ball."

Lesnar expects to play defensive end. He is a shade taller than 6-3, weighs 290 pounds and has 9 percent body fat, long arms and unusual speed and agility for his size.

Lesnar runs a 40-yard sprint during a morning workout.Ralph FresoSpecial To Star Tribune"Obviously, he's strong enough, flexible enough, big enough and quick enough to do it," said Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, who tried to sign Lesnar out of college when Dungy was head coach at Tampa Bay. "And winning an NCAA heavyweight title is harder than playing defensive line. So who knows? The only question is he's 26. How long will it take for him to learn how to play the game?"

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Peter King's ranking of the June 1st cuts:

1. Jason Gildon, OLB, Pittsburgh. Easily the top guy out there, though he'll be 32 on July 31. But is he the big, strong outside rusher who had 13.5 sacks in 2000 -- or the one who slipped to six in 2003? I know this: He's a great leader who will play hard until he keels over.

2. Zack Bronson, FS, San Francisco. A sign of the weakness of the crop is that Bronson, who's been hurt too much for my liking and who is 30, would be someone's answer in center field. But he's had some great days for the Niners -- like the last month of 2001, when he had five interceptions and made up for some green cornerback play.

3. Kurt Warner, QB, St. Louis. Risky as heck, because he's done absolutely nothing in the last two seasons to make you think he can be an above-average NFL starter anymore, never mind the second coming of John Unitas, which he looked like at the turn of the century. But I put him here for one reason. When the Giants gave him a thorough physical three weeks ago, they found nothing wrong with his right hand. Either that was a pie-in-the-sky exam or the guy really is OK physically. Though I'm skeptical he'll ever be very good again, he'll have a chance to prove it with the Giants.

4. Tim Couch, QB, Cleveland. He's looking for a magic carpet ride to a starting job, but he won't find it. If I were him, I'd walk to Green Bay, but I've been singing that tune for weeks.

5. Eddie George, RB, Tennessee. I suppose logic tells you to stay 500 miles away from George. He has 3.3-yards-a-carry written all over him, and that's not a winning per-rush average in the NFL. Since 2000, he has rushed for exactly 3.3 a carry. In 2003, he rushed for exactly 3.3 a carry. In the postseason last winter, he rushed for 3.3 a carry. So why should a team -- pick one: Dallas, Arizona, Houston (now there's a fascinating thought), Baltimore or the Giants -- take a million-dollar flyer on George? Because he's as proud a man as any in the NFL, and he'll be supremely motivated to give his all for one final season to show Titans owner Bud Adams he still has lots left in the tank.

6. Daryl Gardener, DT, Denver. Good luck, Leslie Frazier. It looks like Gardener, the supremely talented guy who it seems can never be happy in one place for too long, will end up with Cincinnati under Frazier, the young defensive coordinator. Well, Marvin Lewis must know something, because he had Gardener in Washington two years ago. For a guy who's supposed to be such a great interior pass rusher, 10.5 sacks in the last four years doesn't show me much.

7. Jeremiah Trotter, MLB, Washington. He probably has one more season left before chronic knee troubles kick him out of the game. I keep hearing Mike Holmgren and Totter's former coach in Philly, Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, want him for a year.

8. Vinny Testaverde, QB, New York Jets. Smart money says he'll land in Dallas, to back up whoever wins that job for one year. Watch out for a late challenge from the Patriots.
In conclusion:

The pickings are slim, but if I had a pass-rush need at outside linebacker, I'd find some money to pay Gildon.
Link