Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Julius Peppers plays OLB in our 3-4 ?

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
If you saw that game last night on ESPN between Carolina & Atlanta, you
know that Superman has an alias and its Julius Peppers. The guy is unreal
and looks like he could play virtually any position on the field. Unbelievable
athelete @ 6'6" & 280 lbs. He was taken #2 overall in the 2002 draft right behind DC. He'd be the ultimate edge rusher in our 3-4. Sometimes they use 2 guys to defense Peek in passing situations. They'd have to use 3 guys to defense Peppers in passing situations. And why waste the #1 overall pick anyway on a QB when all he is gonna do is handoff to the RB or flip a little pass to him in the flat ? Any bozo QB can do that.

nunusguy said:
If you saw that game last night on ESPN between Carolina & Atlanta, you
know that Superman has an alias and its Julius Peppers. The guy is unreal
and looks like he could play virtually any position on the field. Unbelievable
athelete @ 6'6" & 280 lbs. He was taken #2 overall in the 2002 draft right behind DC. He'd be the ultimate edge rusher in our 3-4. Sometimes they use 2 guys to defense Peek in passing situations. They'd have to use 3 guys to defense Peppers in passing situations. And why waste the #1 overall pick anyway on a QB when all he is gonna do is handoff to the RB or flip a little pass to him in the flat ? Any bozo QB can do that.

Yes peppers is great,but one guy doesn't make a team,as for QB,if handing off or flipping a pass to the flats to a rb is so easy then Jeff George would still have a starting position somewhere(bozo).you people need to see that this team has improved since 2002 and the best is yet to come,some babies learn to walk earlier than others but it doesn't mean the one that learned later is going to be any less than the one that learned how to early,yes I am optimistic that 2005 is the first big year for this young franchise. :xmasgrin

Honestly, i wouls rather have him play end. His combination of speed, size, strength and pass rush ability would wreck havoc with blockers. Tying up lineman does not always mean standing thereholding position.

As i remember, where to play Peppers was an issue we bat back and forth before the 2002 draft. do you add say 10-15 pounds onto him and make him an explosive DE or have him as an OLb at around 270.

Seriously, the guy is such an impact player that you could leave his weight alone and he'd probably still be a factor at end in the 3-4. Likewise he could probably handle the OLB role at his current weight as well. Suffice to say that Peppers, if you've got him on your team, is an asset and a good one.

I believe though that the very best way to use him is in the 4-3. It's a question of best fit. He'd be great in either of the two spots he could play in the 3-4 but he's phenomenal where he is in the Panthers defense.

There was a pretty good debate around here at the time between drafting David Carr or converting Peppers to a 3-4 Linebacker. Both sides had very good arguments. Julius Peppers is just a rare talent and when building team we could have gone either way. I liked them both at the time and would have been happy either way. Every kept telling me that Peppers was too heavy to be 3-4 linebacker. But really he is quicker than most 3-4 linebackers and would have largely played to attack the QB anyways. I am comfortable with Carr and his progression. Imagine if we would have traded down and got some better lineman??

In 2002 he was more along the lines of 275, not that unheard of for him to play LB in the 3-4 (See Willie McGinnest - PAtriots)

Here a quote from him before he got drafted about how some scouts and analysts say that he might end up moving to OLB.

Julius Peppers: It doesn't matter to me .. I can play LB or DE. Only difference would be the learning adjustment. But that wouldn't take long at all

Back