Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

John Metchie III will miss season

badboy

Hall of Fame
Just read this on the news break app and sorry for Metchie's diagnosis. I understand there is a possibility he could return to football but leukemia being a blood cancer will bring its own problems that even a non-athlete would find hard to adapt to. Prayers for him and his family.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This is actually a form of Acute Myeloid Leukemia. And it is the type of leakemia you would want to get if you were to have to get a leukemia. In my experience, with appropriate timely treatment, remission is almost universal............and cure can be obtained in the ~90% range in an otherwise healthy individual like Metchie. The treatment will be ~2 months or until remission is attained. The thing you worry about most is clotting problems resulting in bleed (and clotting) in the lungs or the brain..........the most common reason for those dying of the disease.

A terrible turn of events for the young man, after having to deal with an ACL. However, on the brighter side, I see him being able to return to football next season, if that is his desire and he suffers no setbacks.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
This is acturally a form of Acute Myeloid Leukemia. And it is the type of leakemia you would want to get if you were to have to get a leukemia. In my experience, with appropriate timely treatment, remission is almost universal............and cure can be obtained in the ~90% range in an otherwise healthy individual like Metchie. The treatment will be ~2 months or until remission is attained. The thing you worry about most is clotting problems resulting in bleed (and clotting) in the lungs or the brain..........the most common reason for those dying of the disease.

A terrible turn of events for the young man, after having to deal with an ACL. However, on the brighter side, I see him being able to return to football next season, if that is his desire and he suffers no setbacks.
I really appreciate your diagnosis on things like this. Is this what the Texans offensive lineman had, I can't remember.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Relieved it's treatable. Nothing worse than cancer taking people when they're young.

I've read it's difficult to detect in blood work, which is why it wasn't discovered until now.
Diagnosis is initially suspected thru symptoms and sometimes small premonitory changes in the white blood count. However, it usually requires that suspicion to be followed up by a bone marrow biopsy. It’s not normally possible to diagnose APL soley on the basis of a complete blood count (CBC) test. It is the bone marrow that actually produces white blood cells. So there may be leukaemia cells in the bone marrow that aren’t yet released into the blood circulation yet

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The advancement of treatments for APL has taken it from absolutely no effective regimens with invariable morbidity and mortality in the mid 1970s, to treatment leading to a highly curable state with very low mortality. Today, the standard of care treatment regimen entails a chemo-free regimen........which has overtaken the older standard with included a chemo-free agent along with chemo and arsenic.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Just as an FYI, deaths from APL usually will occur within the first 30 days following diagnosis. So if we hear that Metchie is still around then, most of his concerns would be regarding the possibility of relapse of his disease, an overally risk probably less than 10%..............still a highly curable condition with resumption of treatment.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
“John has overcome every challenge placed in front of him in his life with toughness and determination and we are behind him every step of the way in his fight against leukemia," Alabama coach Nick Saban said. "It’s a blessing that he is in a city known for great medical care and with an organization, in the Houston Texans, who will be with him throughout this journey. Our thoughts and prayers will remain with him throughout this battle.”
I can't say I really had an opinion about Saban one way or the other but when I see this, which is Saban having his
x-players back when the chips are down, hey I think I'm impressed by the 'Bama HC.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
@CloakNNNdagger How will his treatment affect his ACL rehab. He was near the end of that.
Because of the bleeding tendency caused by low platelets (the blood cells that facilitate clotting) in the disease, he will not be allowed to do much until remission is achieved............unless his physicians fall back on the addition of a chemotherapeutic agent (which is usually today able to be avoided). His treatment will entail the nonchemo drug all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA). All-trans retinoic acid alone induces complete remission in a high proportion of acute promyelocytic leukemia. Although ATRA treatment can be associated with some serious adverse reactions and in some rare cases life-threatening, its side effects are usually rather mild and manageable.

As far as his ACL rehab, strengthening may be delayed by several months barring any setbacks in remission and/or setbacks due to adverse treatment reactions. The last thing you would want a patient with this condition to do is participate in ANY activities that would put stress on his body before full remission is confirmed.

I can't predict his course any better than that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because of the bleeding tendency caused by low platelets (the blood cells that facilitate clotting) in the disease, he will not be allowed to do much until remission is achieved............unless his physicians fall back on the addition of a chemotherapeutic agent (which is usually today able to be avoided). His treatment will entail the nonchemo drug all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA). All-trans retinoic acid alone induces complete remission in a high proportion of acute promyelocytic leukemia. Although ATRA treatment can be associated with some serious adverse reactions and in some rare cases life-threatening, its side effects are usually rather mild and manageable.

As far as his ACL rehab, strengthening may be delayed by several months barring any setbacks in remission and/or setbacks due to adverse treatment reactions. The last thing you would want a patient with this condition to do is participate in ANY activities that would put stress on his body before full remission is confirmed.

I can't predict his course any better than that.
Thanks Doc this is the kind of info you can't get anywhere else.

How long does it take for the cancer to go into remission typically?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Thanks Doc this is the kind of info you can't get anywhere else.

How long does it take for the cancer to go into remission typically?
This is actually a form of Acute Myeloid Leukemia. And it is the type of leakemia you would want to get if you were to have to get a leukemia. In my experience, with appropriate timely treatment, remission is almost universal............and cure can be obtained in the ~90% range in an otherwise healthy individual like Metchie. The treatment will be ~2 months or until remission is attained. The thing you worry about most is clotting problems resulting in bleed (and clotting) in the lungs or the brain..........the most common reason for those dying of the disease.