Thanks for your support!

JJ done with Houston? (Article)

JJ will

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Agree the owner is important. But the first changeable step is GM and HC. Any rumors?
They're going to interview Malik Boyd from the bills fo.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
We all love and will miss JJ. It’s just he and the team are at different points on the football arc. It’s best for everyone that he moves on.
no it’s not....he will in all likelihood take a pay cut wherever he ends up, if he’s a June 1st cut & we will lose 1 of the few impact players we still have on defense which will make it harder to rebuild.

A trade isn’t netting anything higher than 3rd..& that’s best case scenario. the meager cap savings don’t make up for that....and by meager I’m saying cutting him isn’t getting us any other better impact player on defense imo.

It’s literally good for neither party.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
no it’s not....he will in all likelihood take a pay cut wherever he ends up, if he’s a June 1st cut & we will lose 1 of the few impact players we still have on defense which will make it harder to rebuild.

A trade isn’t netting anything higher than 3rd..& that’s best case scenario. the meager cap savings don’t make up for that....and by meager I’m saying cutting him isn’t getting us any other better impact player on defense imo.

Yep, the time to trade him was at the trade deadline. That's water under the bridge now. I would hold onto him next yr.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

The Texans are upside down with the cap. And Watt isn’t going to take a pay cut enough to make a difference here. Other than that, I agree that the Texans won’t get more than a late 3rd and won’t be able to replace him in free agency. That’s driven by the contract amount and length. He’s gone and that’s just the reality of the situation.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
The Texans are upside down with the cap. And Watt isn’t going to take a pay cut enough to make a difference here. Other than that, I agree that the Texans won’t get more than a late 3rd and won’t be able to replace him in free agency. That’s driven by the contract amount and length. He’s gone and that’s just the reality of the situation.
Exactly, JJ has done everything but say he is leaving. Be it a trade, cut or retire. And a team will be around that can make a good deal for him and them work.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If JJ can return a RD4 or at best RD3.....I'm jumping for joy. I'd like to see him get a chance with GB or Chicago so he's close to home or his wife and in the NFC. Seeing him with the Steelers would be cool since he'd be playing with his brothers in the twilight of his career. I think playing with the rest of the Watts could bump his performance to a solid season for no other reason than the brotherly competition that would happen when being bookended with TJ.

Killing Floor

Practice Squad
If I was the imaginary GM I'd let him go.

Hear me out. He's been a rock for the city and the team and nobody deserves a chance at a Ship more than JJ. He is going to be 2 years retired before Texans overtake the draft and cap and trade sabotage left by O'Brien and to be fair, McNairs watched it happen with full confidence. And I have raised a kid who lit JJ vigil candles every Sunday during his recovery so I have done right as a fan. But do right by JJ. Don't choke the last breath out of him here in Houston. After all he has done for the team and the city he is at this place emotionally because we did this to him. Let him go and fight to win. And thank him on the way out.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If JJ can return a RD4 or at best RD3.....I'm jumping for joy. I'd like to see him get a chance with GB or Chicago so he's close to home or his wife and in the NFC. Seeing him with the Steelers would be cool since he'd be playing with his brothers in the twilight of his career. I think playing with the rest of the Watts could bump his performance to a solid season for no other reason than the brotherly competition that would happen when being bookended with TJ.
I was hoping this season he would have been worth more than his contract but that didn't happen and not the case next year as a rebuilding year. Get what you can in trade and then use his cap space in off season as many say th mrket will be flooded with teams cutting good guys to save cap. We will see. Here's hoping Nick hits the ground running. I want him to be successful as I did Smith, Gaines and what's his name.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I’m not giving a rip about all that. He spent plenty of years growing up playing football with his bros and He’ll have plenty of time to be with his wife when he hangs em up ...which should be in 2-3 years. In the meantime needs to keep his ass here to help this defense be the best it can be.

If I’m Caserio, The only way he gets traded is if I’m getting a 3rd in this years draft. Short of that, in converting his 2021 salary to a signing bonus and extending him at 7-10 per. He don’t want that he can walk in 2022.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m not giving a rip about all that. He spent plenty of years growing up playing football with his bros and He’ll have plenty of time to be with his wife when he hangs em up ...which should be in 2-3 years. In the meantime needs to keep his ass here to help this defense be the best it can be.

If I’m Caserio, The only way he gets traded is if I’m getting a 3rd in this years draft. Short of that, in converting his 2021 salary to a signing bonus and extending him at 7-10 per. He don’t want that he can walk in 2022.
JJ would be stupid to agree to that type deal and we will be right back here. He wasn't worth this season's amount and no way I see him earning $17.5 which could go to bring in player (s) that could set us up for future. Watt isn't bringing us any closer to championship. He just isn't and I think he knows that and saying what he did to Watson. JJ needs to go elsewhere that his reduced play could be helpful to a different defense.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
JJ would be stupid to agree to that type deal and we will be right back here. He wasn't worth this season's amount and no way I see him earning $17.5 which could go to bring in player (s) that could set us up for future. Watt isn't bringing us any closer to championship. He just isn't and I think he knows that and saying what he did to Watson. JJ needs to go elsewhere that his reduced play could be helpful to a different defense.
As Sean Jones said, JJ is worth more to the Texans organization than he’ll be worth to any other team and there is something to be said for playing your entire career with 1 team. Best believe he isn’t getting a much better deal or extension with another team than what we offer him. If we make him a June 1st cut, he could see himself lose that 17.5 altogether. He’d be crazy NOT to at least consider taking that deal or something very close to it from us b/c he likely wouldn’t get much better from other teams.

That 17.5 also isn’t bringing in any player much better than him bro or anyone that’s going to bring us any closer either. JJ is still very productive but his age and injury history are now working against him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
JJ would be stupid to agree to that type deal and we will be right back here. He wasn't worth this season's amount and no way I see him earning $17.5 which could go to bring in player (s) that could set us up for future.
I'd offer a restructure total of five years.

$20M signing bonus. He gets the $17.5M he was set to earn this year. Plus $3M salary guaranteed this season & next.

His cap this year & next two would be $7M. Saving $10M on this year's cap.

2024 his salary goes up to $20M 2025 it goes to $25M. Cap hits of $24M & $29M. But only $8M dead money in 2024 if he wishes to retire.

$74M total $14.8M/yr

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Unless this is a call from Janice herself, JJ is done in Houston. It's just not a smart football move to keep him on the books for $17M. And I don't think the restructure proposed would be smart either, or be something that Watt would want to do. He's already made it clear he wants no part of a rebuild. And a defensive rebuild needs to take place immediately.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Emotional versus business? I'm taking a RD3 or a RD4 this year along with the cap savings. This makes the Texans better than riding Watt to the end of his career. Watt is not the future....he's an asset that brings something positive back to the team. I'd also promise him that he would get to retire a Texan (should he want to) when he's ready to hang up his cleats.....that's about as emotional I would get.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think the restructure proposed would be smart either,
So what kind of cap hit are you ok with to keep Jj Watt on the team? Or are you saying no Jj whatsoever?

I'm good with that. But if the goal is to keep him, that doesn't work.

He's already made it clear he wants no part of a rebuild.
If he says no, he says no. It's just an offer.

In real money it's a little less than $10M/yrs. $29M paid out over 3 years. I doubt anyone is going to pay him $10M/yr.

But it only counts $7M/yr. Regardless what Jj wants to do (he can say no) I don't see how anyone can complain about Jj for 3 more years at $7M/yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As Sean Jones said, JJ is worth more to the Texans organization than he’ll be worth to any other team and there is something to be said for playing your entire career with 1 team. Best believe he isn’t getting a much better deal or extension with another team than what we offer him. If we make him a June 1st cut, he could see himself lose that 17.5 altogether. He’d be crazy NOT to at least consider taking that deal or something very close to it from us b/c he likely wouldn’t get much better from other teams.

That 17.5 also isn’t bringing in any player much better than him bro or anyone that’s going to bring us any closer either. JJ is still very productive but his age and injury history are now working against him.
Agreed

I would hold onto him for next yr

But that 17.5 could come in very handy. This along with letting WFV/DJ/Duke/N.Martin walk would save around 50 mil in cap space. You can get a couple of high level guys with that $$$$.

You could add an impact LB/CB/OG in FA and still have room left over. Then go about drafting with two 3rds two 4ths a 5th two 6ths and a 7th.

You could trade around and add 3 players in the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So what kind of cap hit are you ok with to keep Jj Watt on the team? Or are you saying no Jj whatsoever?

In real money it's a little less than $10M/yrs. $29M paid out over 3 years. I doubt anyone is going to pay him $10M/yr.

But it only counts $7M/yr. Regardless what Jj wants to do (he can say no) I don't see how anyone can complain about Jj for 3 more years at $7M/yr.
It's time for Caserio to clean house and rebuild this team. Moving or cutting JJ would be a good start.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You could add an impact LB/CB/OG in FA and still have room left over.
Originally I thought there was no way McNair could keep the band together. But now, I'm starting to think they're going to go through a flurry of restructures so they can do something like extend Wii Fuller & sit out of FA.

The Texans way.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'd offer a restructure total of five years.

$20M signing bonus. He gets the $17.5M he was set to earn this year. Plus $3M salary guaranteed this season & next.

His cap this year & next two would be $7M. Saving $10M on this year's cap.

2024 his salary goes up to $20M 2025 it goes to $25M. Cap hits of $24M & $29M. But only $8M dead money in 2024 if he wishes to retire.

$74M total $14.8M/yr
I got him at 3 year 36 mil GTD not sure how split.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Unless this is a call from Janice herself, JJ is done in Houston. It's just not a smart football move to keep him on the books for $17M. And I don't think the restructure proposed would be smart either, or be something that Watt would want to do. He's already made it clear he wants no part of a rebuild. And a defensive rebuild needs to take place immediately.
It will be from her unless JJ asks out.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Emotional versus business? I'm taking a RD3 or a RD4 this year along with the cap savings. This makes the Texans better than riding Watt to the end of his career. Watt is not the future....he's an asset that brings something positive back to the team. I'd also promise him that he would get to retire a Texan (should he want to) when he's ready to hang up his cleats.....that's about as emotional I would get.
To Bob and therefore Janice, Watts worth is off field as well as on and that's what she hopes Dashaun will be. They have no other face unless they hit lottery with HC. I was hoping for Omenihu could replace JJ But that remains to be seen. a surprise at WR or RB in draft could also work. My new guy from North Carolina for example. I hope to post first after season mock soon. BTW posted a new Rocket trade for Harden earlier today for those interested.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

What kind of cap hit am I OK with to keep him? Probably one he's not going to be too happy with. Like a 3yr/$29M one. He ain't doing something like that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What kind of cap hit am I OK with to keep him? Probably one he's not going to be too happy with. Like a 3yr/$29M one. He ain't doing something like that.
That’s practically $10M/yr... pretty much what I said I’d offer. He can say no. He might say no.

I think that’s the high end of what he can expect to get... money in his pocket.What he ends up getting will probably be dressed up the way I proposed to look like more. But in his pocket, real money it’s going to be in that $10M/yr range.

badboy

Hall of Fame
That’s practically $10M/yr... pretty much what I said I’d offer. He can say no. He might say no.

I think that’s the high end of what he can expect to get... money in his pocket.What he ends up getting will probably be dressed up the way I proposed to look like more. But in his pocket, real money it’s going to be in that $10M/yr range.
yeah mine was a $36 m or 12 avg so not far apart. Would you guarantee it to JJ?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
yeah mine was a $36 m or 12 avg so not far apart. Would you guarantee it to JJ?
With the window dressing, yes. Spread it out over 5 years backend it with no guaranteed money to make it look like $14/$16M per year. Give him $20M on day one with a cap hit of $7M for the first three years... or something like that. Yes.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Can't they just cut JJ and then hire him as head coach?
Obviously, he's green as hell but he pretty much wins at life so I think he'd figure it out

Two birds with one stone. Your welcome
I know you're joking but I would take this over literally any other option available.

It would ensure the man stays where he belongs.

JJ is worth more to this team on and off the field than any 3rd round jabroni could possibly offer.

Unfortunately I think his anger and frustration guarantees that he played his last down for us last week.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I know you're joking but I would take this over literally any other option available.

It would ensure the man stays where he belongs.

JJ is worth more to this team on and off the field than any 3rd round jabroni could possibly offer.

Unfortunately I think his anger and frustration guarantees that he played his last down for us last week.
This is a joke right.

You put sentiment over team?

Tell us what you think about the Caserio hire.

This should be great entertainment.