Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

JJ done with Houston? (Article)

JJ will

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I think he's gone before sooner than later .... long before they play a game next season.

I'm almost shocked they didn't move him before the deadline as this isn't anything new.
Not doing that was a very poor financial decision.
I agree. I think the FO is holding on to him for the new GM and HC to use in the draft. Try to get a better pick/s or a few players via trade

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I think you'd have gotten a better return prior to the deadline than you do on an expiring contract the Texans probably pay half of.

Not to mention any cap savings / roll over.
True, maybe they feel like a certain HC can make him happy and want to stay. Much as I like Watt he is not the same as a few years ago and is about the only way to get a pick or something. Plus, he is not happy with the team.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
True, maybe they feel like a certain HC can make him happy and want to stay. Much as I like Watt he is not the same as a few years ago and is about the only way to get a pick or something. Plus, he is not happy with the team.

The only thing that's going to make JJ happy is winning football games.

This team isn't going to be much better next year than they are right now - he knows it , they know it and we know it.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I had that discussion with a "random fan" yesterday .... He seems to think Watt is worth a #1 plus , all I could do is laugh as I think they'll be damn lucky if they get a 3rd and don't pay part of his salary.

My expectation is a 3rd or 4th , more likely a 4th.
I think a late 3 and late 5 is absolutely best case scenario. A 4th round pick alone is far more likely.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
The only thing that's going to make JJ happy is winning football games.

This team isn't going to be much better next year than they are right now - he knows it , they know it and we know it.
They can be 9-7 with good coaching alone. Nobody in the division is out front in terms of talent. They can patch work the defense and win the division which is what they should've done this year.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
If any team is taking Watt and the balance of his contract.......Texans should be very happy to get a 2021 RD4 in return. I'd be very satisfied with that return.
Watt will get a 3rd. But not an early one... unless it's from Pittsburgh. If TJ asks for a deal to get his brother. I have a feeling that they may. And JJ would redo his deal I'm sure. Meaning...we eat the rest of it. And Cal may be ok with that if we get a middle 3rd and a middle 4th (or 5th). Then a good GM might be able to get a 2nd out of that. For now just guessing at what will happen. I just think JJ is done here after the final whistle of the season this year.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Something I’ve wondered is if JJ wanted out before the deadline and the Texans refused to deal him. He looks mighty pissed off since, made his comments to the media immediately after the deadline.

I thought the timing of that was off, wait till the offseason, or say it a week earlier if that’s how he felt. Maybe he was requesting a trade privately and handling himself professionally right up until the deadline.

Perhaps his mooted ‘OB or me’ demand was in fact his attempt to get out and it backfired when they chose to fire the crap HC and leave him on this awful team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think he's gone before sooner than later .... long before they play a game next season.

I'm almost shocked they didn't move him before the deadline as this isn't anything new.
Not doing that was a very poor financial decision.
Agreed

He has Janice heart. He's not going anywhere except if he wants to be traded.

The Texans are a very poorly run org, because they treat players with sentimentality instead of doing everything thing possible to put the best product on the field.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watt will get a 3rd. But not an early one... unless it's from Pittsburgh. If TJ asks for a deal to get his brother. I have a feeling that they may. And JJ would redo his deal I'm sure. Meaning...we eat the rest of it. And Cal may be ok with that if we get a middle 3rd and a middle 4th (or 5th). Then a good GM might be able to get a 2nd out of that. For now just guessing at what will happen. I just think JJ is done here after the final whistle of the season this year.
If they just get a middle 3rd I will be surprised.

Watts overpaid. That will make him hard to trade. Plus he's a declining she'll of his former self.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think Watt actually turns down a Texans extension offer b/c they're no where near playing for in a Super Bowl within the next 2-3 seasons.

He has made his position pretty clear that finishing his career in Houston isn't in the cards. Texans should've traded him before the deadline.....and the Steelers should've been the target. How many folks think JJ hasn't been on the phone with his brothers while they tell him what it's like to play for the Steelers organization and a team with a real shot at the Super Bowl this season. I can imagine that before the deadline Brothers Watt might've wondered what it would be like if they could playing in a Super Bowl together and probably the first SB team with three brothers on the same roster. That would create quite the media stir covering something like this and be a major positive for the Watt brand. This was the season for JJ......hard to predict what 2021 brings for the Steelers and would be even tougher if his brothers get a SB ring this season while Janice and Cal kept him hear in Houston. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ forces a trade in the off-season.

OptimisticTexan

Unless he wins a Super Bowl with the Dolphins
So funny you mentioned this......I was thinking this very thing when discussing Watt going to the Steelers earlier. Yes, I could see the Dolphins as a team who might desire Watts veteran leadership on their defense and they have the draft assets to make a deal without upsetting their overall plans.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think Watt actually turns down a Texans extension offer b/c they're no where near playing for in a Super Bowl within the next 2-3 seasons.

He has made his position pretty clear that finishing his career in Houston isn't in the cards. Texans should've traded him before the deadline.....and the Steelers should've been the target. How many folks think JJ hasn't been on the phone with his brothers while they tell him what it's like to play for the Steelers organization and a team with a real shot at the Super Bowl this season. I can imagine that before the deadline Brothers Watt might've wondered what it would be like if they could playing in a Super Bowl together and probably the first SB team with three brothers on the same roster. That would create quite the media stir covering something like this and be a major positive for the Watt brand. This was the season for JJ......hard to predict what 2021 brings for the Steelers and would be even tougher if his brothers get a SB ring this season while Janice and Cal kept him hear in Houston. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ forces a trade in the off-season.
Steelers proving they don't need a third Watt to get to Super Bowl.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
In any case, the number 99 will be retired by the Texans.
Unfortunately, it will never happen. The McNairs said they will never retire numbers. They are trying to make that Ring of Honor thing like the Cowboys (who also never retires numbers).

Now, that said, I doubt anyone will be using 99 and 80 for a long time.

banned1976

sleeper mode
From a Texans standpoint the JJ Watt dilemma boils down to do you want to pay a aging and often injured free lance DE 17.5 million next year or not?

2021 Texans defensive line should be about the basics - gap integrity, tackling, containment, etc. I could argue that finding a superb DC is more important right now than finding a good HC. Even better, hiring a superb defensive minded HC is what I’d be looking for. And that guy isn’t going to want Watt‘s improvisation. When he was in his 20’s, sure, let Watt be Watt. But he’s not that guy anymore.

I’d rather the Texans cut Watt before trading him for a 4th or later pick AND eating part of his 17.5 cap hit. Anyone that wants him, they should have to agree to take all of him, including his salary. If he’ll take less with a new team, that’s up to them to work out.

OptimisticTexan

Steelers proving they don't need a third Watt to get to Super Bowl.
They don't need JJ but he wouldn't hurt their defense by being there either. I would think he would be a different player in Pittsburgh b/c offenses couldn't focus on him which just might free him up enough to look like his old self more the current JJ. I just think the injuries, Texans and OB sucked the football life out of him by never figuring out how to get the team over the hump. I just feel like JJ is at that point in his football career where he wants to play for something more than a paycheck......and that just isn't happening before the 2024 season in Houston.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Some of you guys act as if Watt would be a valuable acquisiton for another team, especially a bona fide contender.
Potential trading partners don't give a crap about Watt on personal basis, in other words they don't have your sentiments about him and could care less if he's the most popular player in Texans history.
And Watt is not a super star, he's a former super star who's definitely on the downside of his career and soon to be a journeyman NFL defensive lineman.
Watt could be a perfect fit for the NE Pats, but back in the days when Belichick still had Brady and they were a perennial P/O and SB contenders but those days are now gone.

OptimisticTexan

Some of you guys act as if Watt would be a valuable acquisiton for another team, especially a bona fide contender.
Potential trading partners don't give a crap about Watt on personal basis, in other words they don't have your sentiments about him and could care less if he's the most popular player in Texans history.
And Watt is not a super star, he's a former super star who's definitely on the downside of his career and soon to be a journeyman NFL defensive lineman.
Watt could be a perfect fit for the NE Pats, but back in the days when Belichick still had Brady and they were a perennial P/O and SB contenders but those days are now gone.
Are you under the impression that a team trading for Watt would only live to regret the the move?

How many times has an aging star been moved to the right environment and was re-invigorated enough to give the receiving team a season or two of better than expected returns? Some team have given up some picks to find that out. Watt can still do his thing but it's hard to do consistently when the defense around you has become so pathetic. I believe there are teams out there that think Watt could bring a positive force to their defense if he's not required to carry the entire defense. RD4 is likely but would be a great trade for the Texans if they got a RD3 instead.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

The sad truth is Heyward and Tuitt are better football players and make less money. Pittsburgh doesn't move like that.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Depends on the definition of “valuable” and how, and by whom, that definition is being applied. Situational pass rushers do have value in this league, and at this point in his career I think that’s what JJ Watt is. Admittedly, I have no clue what someone will offer for him, but a broken down pick-6 machine once got traded out of here for a sixth round pick. Surely Watt is worth more than that?

badboy

Hall of Fame
They don't need JJ but he wouldn't hurt their defense by being there either. I would think he would be a different player in Pittsburgh b/c offenses couldn't focus on him which just might free him up enough to look like his old self more the current JJ. I just think the injuries, Texans and OB sucked the football life out of him by never figuring out how to get the team over the hump. I just feel like JJ is at that point in his football career where he wants to play for something more than a paycheck......and that just isn't happening before the 2024 season in Houston.
Oh I get it from Watts view but why would Mrs McNair agree when she did not couple weeks ago? What changes her mind?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Which is why I'm sure he'll be here next season. Whatever is least beneficial to this team is what is going to happen.
Ok I agree with you on this. Because anything that helps the team long or short term is rarely what happens. Still, I don't think they can stop him if he wants out.

And I also think that whoever posted that they think JJ requested a trade before the deadline and didn't get one is correct. Since that time period he seems like he is mad at the world. And very short with the media which is not normal with JJ.

Watt HAD value to a contender in need of pass rush help as a situational pass rusher. I think he could have thrived not playing a lot of snaps as an every down player and his ego should have facilitated that if he were on a a team like the Packers, Seahawks, etc.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Watt HAD value to a contender in need of pass rush help as a situational pass rusher. I think he could have thrived not playing a lot of snaps as an every down player and his ego should have facilitated that if he were on a a team like the Packers, Seahawks, etc.
Like Corrosion and a few others, I was firmly on board with the Texans trading Watt before the trade deadline. I feel like that was the best way to maximize his trade value. Both he and Will Fuller.

I feel like the management of this team is in a state of catatonia, or plain outright cowardice to do anything. Cal came out Thursday, why? To repeat what Rootes said about Easterby. That's not what fans of a 2-7 team want to hear from the ownership. We want to hear how you're going to right the ship. We want to hear what the future plans are. We want to hear why you hired, and then fired Gaine just after Easterby came along. Who made that decision? And Cal, who made the decision to make OB GM and then fire him 4 games into the same season he was promoted, you gutless imbecile?

I didn't enjoy O'Brien as HC. I thought he was average, at best. But ownership, along with Easterby, made him the fall-guy for some of the worst decisions in the history of the NFL. My theory now is, they're going to bring in another GM to make more tough decisions (like trading Watt) that they don't have the guts to make themselves and if it goes sideways fire that that poor guy, send Jamey Rootes out again to publicly say "we made a mistake...our bad".

The ownership of this franchise is a joke and if they are up to some nefarious activities (shenanigans), I hope they do get caught and are forced to sell the team. Hopefully to someone that will want to keep the team here and operate it with the primary goal of winning a Super Bowl.

End of rant, sorry I got a bit off-topic.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

The Texans were not and are not entertaining a Watt extension.

OptimisticTexan

Honest question, do you really think a trade for Watt will get that in return? I was thinking a 4th more likely.

If ANY team offers a 2nd or 3rd they need to sign the dotted line quickly
All you’d have to hope for....that the master genius OB somehow became their GM. Then getting RD1 picks in 2021 and 2022 wouldn’t be out of the question...hail they’d probably get to throw David Johnson and Mercilus into the deal so OB would throw in their RD2 as well.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Are you under the impression that a team trading for Watt would only live to regret the the move?

How many times has an aging star been moved to the right environment and was re-invigorated enough to give the receiving team a season or two of better than expected returns? Some team have given up some picks to find that out. Watt can still do his thing but it's hard to do consistently when the defense around you has become so pathetic. I believe there are teams out there that think Watt could bring a positive force to their defense if he's not required to carry the entire defense. RD4 is likely but would be a great trade for the Texans if they got a RD3 instead.
Yes sir it would be a great trade to get a 3rd round pick for Watt, and I'm definitely ready for our team to be on the "great end" of one of these trades instead of being on the not-so-great end.
I dunno but isn't Watt a free agent after the completion of this season ?

OptimisticTexan

Yes sir it would be a great trade to get a 3rd round pick for Watt, and I'm definitely ready for our team to be on the "great end" of one of these trades instead of being on the not-so-great end.
I dunno but isn't Watt a free agent after the completion of this season ?
Watt is prime for trade. Zero dead money hit in 2021 and he's officially an UFA in 2022. The team ducked up a perfectly......great dream by not moving JJ before the deadline. The team should be able to get a late RD3 or it could wind up being a late RD4 b/c the teams that could see the marketing benefits of bringing him on board would be the top tier teams.