Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is this the biggest choke in Texan history?

ColeThornton

Waterboy
They got off to a 24 point lead with all the momentum. 24 POINT LEAD! They knew it meant Tennessee at home to go to the Super Bowl. SUPER BOWL! It was against a team they beat in the same stadium earlier in the season. And then choked 51 to 7? Can anyone think of a bigger CHOKE in team history... I can't.

Reactions: ROO

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
What’s worse, blowing a 35-3 3rd quarter lead and losing by 3 in OT, or blowing a 24-0 lead and losing by 20?
Tough question but I'd take The Comeback actually. From our perspective it was terrible but when you step back and look at it it was for sure one of the all time great games in NFL history. Moon in the first half was about as good as any quarterback that ever played, and then that drive to get the field goal and put it into overtime was one of his most clutch moments(completely overshadowed by you know, losing the game).

This was just miserable all the way around. Watson throwing wounded ducks and running around in circles like a ******* clown.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
They got off to a 24 point lead with all the momentum. 24 POINT LEAD! They knew it meant Tennessee at home to go to the Super Bowl. SUPER BOWL! It was against a team they beat in the same stadium earlier in the season. And then choked 51 to 7? Can anyone think of a bigger CHOKE in team history... I can't.
It was definitely one of the worst defensive efforts I have seen from the Texans in the O'Brien era.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I was expecting the choke after the 1st. When we were up 24 to 0, I was texting friends and family that I wasn't confident, and Mahomes is capable of coming back.

That's where I'm at now: Protecting my emotions by setting realistic expectations. That will continue to be the case with O'Brien.
shouldve been the case period. You knew KC would respond, it was just a matter if we could continue what we were doing on offense and if we could hold them off.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
The thread title says Texan history- not Houston history.
The fact that you had to say that is indicative of how ex-Oiler fans regard this game. It’s nothing compared to 35-3. That game made the entire city a national laughingstock, and changed forever how much emotional attachment I apply to football. And I’ve said this a million times already, that 35-3 planted a seed of apathy that eventually led to Bud being told to not let the door hit him on the way out.

As for this game against the Chiefs..... sh!t, I’m over it already.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
This game made me kind of wish the Houston Texans never came into existence. Unfortunately, those feelings are familiar. Like mentioned up thread, when Bud moved his team to Tennessee I had a good riddance attitude. That’s how I feel about the Texans right now. Because I have a feeling things are going to get worse for this team. And I don’t think Cal cares. The guy hasn’t been seen or heard from in months, at least not to my knowledge. I don’t think he even made a comment about the Gaine firing. It’s like he just handed the team over to O’Brien and walked away.

Sonny

TexSon Proud
The only saving grace for this travesty is that we were handed our slip before the ex-Oilers came to town and got embarrassingly deep in our ass in our own house.

Seriously

Matter of fact or opinion... I think the Titties may shock the world this year.

RGV82

Random guy
You are asking if this is the biggest choke in TEXANS history? This may be the biggest choke in SPORTS history. Up 24-0 and losing 51-31. It does not get much more embarrassing than that.

Scooter

Funky
You are asking if this is the biggest choke in TEXANS history? This may be the biggest choke in SPORTS history. Up 24-0 and losing 51-31. It does not get much more embarrassing than that.
Texans history certainly. Sports history definitely not, 35-3 was a much bigger choke. You might be right however that this is possibly the most embarrassing choke.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
We are the team on the losing end of both of those games, although that "technically" goes with the Titans history the city still owns that loss. So does it really matter...

RGV82

Random guy
We are the team on the losing end of both of those games, although that "technically" goes with the Titans history the city still owns that loss. So does it really matter...
Lots of things in sports do not "matter", but can still be discussed for the sake of self pity, lol

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Lots of things in sports do not "matter", but can still be discussed for the sake of self pity, lol
Either way the city of Houston gets to own both of the losses is all I meant, self pity also helps the healing process...

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
What’s worse, blowing a 35-3 3rd quarter lead and losing by 3 in OT, or blowing a 24-0 lead and losing by 20?
35-3 was far worse because when Bubba McDowell made that pick 6 to start the 2nd half everyone thought it was over, including the Oilers players. I never thought it was over at any point yesterday ... well, I take that back, I felt it was over when BOB faked that punt and gave all of the momentum to the Chiefs.

BTW, yesterday's game for me just reaffirmed what I already know. My level of care for the Texans is nowhere near what it was for the Oilers. I was over it by the start of the 4th Qtr. I haven't lived in Houston in almost 40 years and won't be owning this one as I did with 35-3.

I've followed 2 dysfunctional franchises most of my life, it's about time to narrow that down to one.