Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is the NFL rigged?

I couldn't care less if it were rigged. It's entertaining, that's why I watch... & don't bet on the NFL

This NFL itself isn't rigging the games, which doesn't mean a few individuals might not be. I don't think the NFL is smart enough to do it. LOL

I couldn't care less if it were rigged. It's entertaining, that's why I watch... & don't bet on the NFL

Same mindset of those who watch WWE. That's out there and people don't care that it's not real. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I personally don't think the NFL is rigged, but as Thorn said, there might be some individuals who have a little extra incentive for certain outcomes.

That said, as much we complain about NFL officiating, it's just as bad in all sports. So unless they're all rigging games.....

I prefer true competition over scripted bullshit. That's why I don't watch the WWE soap opera junk. I used to love boxing but quit watching that a long time ago because the way it would get judged really made it seem like it was rigged. Not interested in a script. Play the ******* game mano a mano.

But the refereeing of the game, in all sports, HAS to be better than it is. Referees are there to make sure the game is played fairly and by the rules set forth. That's it. That's their only job. If that can't be done, then what's the point of playing the games? Yeah, it's still entertainment, but like I said, I want true competition. If you're going to beat me, beat me because you're better and not because of officials effecting the outcome.

My thoughts about referees changed when I did it for one basketball tournament. I'd played my whole life, knew all the rules, knew bad refereeing when I saw it. But it was way harder than it looks. It was a girl's middle school tournament and one of the teams actually quit in the middle of the game because of how poor of a job they thought we were doing. Oops.

Many years ago my boys played little league at Oaks dads club in Houston.
Coaches called other teams games. Saved money for the club. One momma rode my ass a couple of innings.
I called time, went into the stands, sat down next to the woman and handled her my mask and invited her to finish the game for me.
She kept quiet after that. Not gonna make everyone happy when you are officiating. I really enjoyed my time there.
Some people just can't help themselves, no self control.

:coffee:

This NFL itself isn't rigging the games, which doesn't mean a few individuals might not be. I don't think the NFL is smart enough to do it. LOL

This^^^.

I don't think it's scripted or rigged as a league. But, I think it's possible there are unscrupulous individuals.

They need to hire full time referees and do whatever they can to instill confidence in their officiating. Legalized gambling embraced by the league itself + incompetent officials just leads many folks to question the integrity of the league.

And as a fan, if nothing else, bad calls and ignored blatant penalties just feels like we've been cheated out of a fair competition. The end of games should have the same rule enforcement as the beginning of the game. Same for postseason games vs. regular season games. There should be no discrepancies in enforcing the rules of the league.

My thoughts about referees changed when I did it for one basketball tournament. I'd played my whole life, knew all the rules, knew bad refereeing when I saw it. But it was way harder than it looks. It was a girl's middle school tournament and one of the teams actually quit in the middle of the game because of how poor of a job they thought we were doing. Oops.

I can imagine. I found out the same about coaching when I was helping with my son's football teams. Lots of fun, but man, was it stressful, especially as a head coach.

Many years ago my boys played little league at Oaks dads club in Houston.
Coaches called other teams games. Saved money for the club. One momma rode my ass a couple of innings.
I called time, went into the stands, sat down next to the woman and handled her my mask and invited her to finish the game for me.
She kept quiet after that. Not gonna make everyone happy when you are officiating. I really enjoyed my time there.
Some people just can't help themselves, no self control.

:coffee:
This happened at my brother's high school basketball game 40 years ago. Guy in the stands was really riding the ref. Ref stops the game and yells to the guy in the stands 'you think you can do better?' The guy yells back 'yes'. Ref yells 'then come and prove it'. The guy called his bluff and took him up on the offer. Big fat guy comes out of the stands, takes off his shirt and puts the way to small refs shirt on with his belly hanging out the bottom and calls the rest of the game. Haven't seen that happen again since then.

This^^^.

I don't think it's scripted or rigged as a league. But, I think it's possible there are unscrupulous individuals.

They need to hire full time referees and do whatever they can to instill confidence in their officiating. Legalized gambling embraced by the league itself + incompetent officials just leads many folks to question the integrity of the league.

And as a fan, if nothing else, bad calls and ignored blatant penalties just feels like we've been cheated out of a fair competition. The end of games should have the same rule enforcement as the beginning of the game. Same for postseason games vs. regular season games. There should be no discrepancies in enforcing the rules of the league.

I can imagine. I found out the same about coaching when I was helping with my son's football teams. Lots of fun, but man, was it stressful, especially as a head coach.
Exactly. I've coached quite a bit of basketball when I was younger and I've started getting back into coaching now that my boys are getting into sports. I haven't experienced it first hand yet but I know that things have gotten much worse with parents being confrontational with coaches. Takes the fun out of it real quick.

Back