Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Gardner Minshew. Younger. Can win games. Still has growth potential. Can be your potential starting QB for 2-3 years while you find the right QB instead of reaching in this years draft.
Yep and you could've had him for the same draft capital they used on Lindley. Could've used the Mills pick on another foundation player.

The guy who was instrumental in the last year's 1 score games hasn't play a down this year. So, is that really a valid question? Also, if previous years doesn't matter or indicate much of anything, when a player gets a new contract. What are they basing it on? On that note. I'm going to agree to disagree with you and @maverick512000. I'm out of this conversation.

You're twisting what is being said, no where was any mention about it not mattering in regards to player contracts. The discussion was on if it mattered in regards to whether a team would win or not and how much of a rebuild is needed.

I like Gardner Minshew. Younger. Can win games. Still has growth potential. Can be your potential starting QB for 2-3 years while you find the right QB instead of reaching in this years draft.
Yep and you could've had him for the same draft capital they used on Lindley. Could've used the Mills pick on another foundation player.

You guys do realize Minshew wasn't on the table right? Jags still had him on his rookie deal, and no way they trade to us without it costing an arm and a leg. Texans never had any chance of getting him so knocking them for not signing or trading for a player that wasn't available to be signed or traded for seems kind of silly.

Surprised there's not a lot of comment on Caserio's lack of comment regarding Culley's future as head coach. I still don't think Culley is in danger after one year. But, maybe Kyle isn't happy with what he's seen, and Culley could be the fall guy. Kyle has to be under some pressure with all of the empty seats on gameday.
It would be too easy to blame the OC. It’s the normal way in the NFL, even for coaches who everybody knows is the real OC.

Caserio’s non comment is standard NE, I’m going to say a lot of words, but not really say anything, thing.

See you had to look it up.

I'm sure most Eagles fans don't know either and that's the point.

It's an insignificant position that you wouldn't care about if the media and some fans like yourself hadn't gotten it all wrong when it came to the Derrick/Easterby situation. This is like a defense mechanism. Either that or you have a problem with a religious guy having Easterby's position. Who had the position before Easterby or did the job that Easterby's currently performing?

Bottom line for me is I dont give a crap about Easterby. I'm just looking forward to the day when all of the trash is taken out and dumping Cunningham today was another step in that direction. When Derrick/Reid and Akins (Who I like as a 3rd TE) are gone then the franchise will have finally flushed the toilet and they can truly begin anew. Flushing the toilet was long overdue IMHO.

Bwhahaha not meeting their standards. Wow I'm freaking done. What a freaking joke of an organization.

So your done because they cut Cunningham who had been showing up late for meetings? The fact that according to Stoerner they tried to trade Cunningham this offseason after Caserio re-worked Cunninham's deal and couldn't find any takers should tell you all you need to know about Cunningham. Cunningham hasn't been a good player for the last 2 yrs and yes, I know he lead the NFL in tackles. KGH for instance is a much better player than Cunningham. Good riddance to Cunningham and I hope the rest of the trash gets taken out this offseason. Although with Derrick's situation I doubt it happens.

Dumping Cunningham instead of trading was not a step in the right direction. I can't believe anyone on this board would think that was a good move by the Caserio and the Texans. Why not wait to next season and trade the dude. You could've at least gotten two draft picks.

So your done because they cut Cunningham who had been showing up late for meetings? The fact that according to Stoerner they tried to trade Cunningham this offseason after Caserio re-worked Cunninham's deal and couldn't find any takers should tell you all you need to know about Cunningham. Cunningham hasn't been a good player for the last 2 yrs and yes, I know he lead the NFL in tackles. KGH for instance is a much better player than Cunningham. Good riddance to Cunningham and I hope the rest of the trash gets taken out this offseason. Although with Derrick's situation I doubt it happens.
I'm done because of the crap show. You trade him, not just cut him and don't get anything for him. That was another dumb hasty decision,

If Kyle isn't happy, I'm sure the Pastor will convince him Culley is what they need right now.

And if Kyle isn't happy, is he even thinking about the guy who gave him a 5 year contract? I'll bet that never gets a mention in the conversation between the 2.

I think Kelly is the only fall guy, which may be THE reason they kept him. The plan all along.

I bet Kelly and Culley are gone after this season or nxt season at the latest. You know what the deal has been from the beginning. Culley is a well paid fall guy at the beginning of the rebuild. Most rebuilding teams have a Culley type figure. See: 49ers and Tomsula/Kelly. They actually had 2 fall guys and ate the money so they could bring on Lil Shanny.

Dumping Cunningham instead of trading was not a step in the right direction. I can't believe anyone on this board would think that was a good move by the Caserio and the Texans. Why not wait to next season and trade the dude. You could've at least gotten two draft picks.

Like I said they tried to trade him this offseason and couldn't find a taker, even for a late rd pick and this was after Caserio re-structured Cunningham's contract to make it easier to trade him. You certainly weren't going to get 2 picks for him. Cunningham was a sunk cost left over by the BOB regime.

Like I said they tried to trade him this offseason and couldn't find a taker, even for a late rd pick and this was after Caserio re-structured Cunningham's contract to make it easier to trade him. You certainly weren't going to get 2 picks for him. Cunningham was a sunk cost left over by the BOB regime.
No they didn't.

Stoerner said on 610 today that they did.

You can choose to believe him or not.

Anyways it's not a big deal to me if Caserio didn't get a 6-7th rd pick for Cunningham. Taking out the trash is much more important IMHO than a late rd pick.
Cunningham is and was not the darn problem. And dude doesn't know everything. If they were trying to trade him you can best believe they would've gotten something. You have to stop believing in everything you hear. Several poster would've been posted that if that was true.

Oh they would've gotten at least a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

Cunningham is and was not the darn problem. And dude doesn't know everything. If they were trying to trade him you can best believe they would've gotten something. You have to stop believing in everything you hear. Several poster would've been posted that if that was true.

LMAO

Cunningham is not good and hasn't been good for 2 years and counting.

I see you dismissed Stoerner because it doesn't fit your narrative. Tell me who I'm supposed to believe?

We, most of us here, complained about his contract. Way overpriced. & we, those prone to complaining, complained about his performance just about every game.

I'd have traded for a 2025 7th round pick. But I'm not going to complain because they didn't.

We, most of us here, complained about his contract. Way overpriced. & we, those prone to complaining, complained about his performance just about every game.

I'd have traded for a 2025 7th round pick. But I'm not going to complain because they didn't.
But he was leading the team in tackles. My thing is that entire offense is not performing to standards. So do you cut all them. Kelly is not cutting it either eith his offensive game planning. Do they fire him right now?

I thought draft capital was important to the rebuild. His talent is worth at least a 4th round not a 7th. He's even led the NFL in tackles. That's worth something. I'm getting tired of this supposedly culture change when the product on the field is straight up trash. Especially in the offensive side.

My thing is that entire offense is not performing to standards.
Yeah, I think you read something wrong. This had nothing to do with on field performance. I’m not upset because his on field performance wasn’t cutting it, but they released him because he was a cancer. I’m reading between the lines.

That's worth something. I'm getting tired of this supposedly culture change when the product on the field is straight up trash.
Funny enough all the culture change moves were on the defensive side of the ball & they don’t seem to have missed a beat.

Something is wrong on offense & these jokers can’t seem to figure it out. I don’t think the Texans are 150 ypg devoid of talent. But as long as they do what they are told when they’re told…

Yeah, I think you read something wrong. This had nothing to do with on field performance. I’m not upset because his on field performance wasn’t cutting it, but they released him because he was a cancer. I’m reading between the lines.

He costs money, a roster spot, and draft capital to get him.

So get something back.

Funny enough all the culture change moves were on the defensive side of the ball & they don’t seem to have missed a beat.

Something is wrong on offense & these jokers can’t seem to figure it out. I don’t think the Texans are 150 ypg devoid of talent. But as long as they do what they are told when they’re told…
That's my main point. They continue to punish the defensive side of the ball. That's really the only bright side of this team. But you have Cook blasting them for trading Ingram back to the Saints. No punishment.

Now to that point, you got something for Ingram. Therefore, you can best believe you could've gotten something for your leading tacklers for the past three years.

That's my main point. They continue to punish the defensive side of the ball. That's really the only bright side of this team. But you have Cook blasting them for trading Ingram back to the Saints. No punishment.
I can see it doesn’t matter what I say. But I’ll give it one more shot.

you’re looking at it wrong.
Therefore, you can best believe you could've gotten something for your leading tacklers for the past three years.
Just tells me the people who make decisions for the other 31 teams do a little more than look at stats when they’re scouting someone.

Mark my words. Zach Cunningham will clear waivers. Zach Cunningham will not be a starter in 2022.our defense was crap the last 3 years

Just tells me the people who make decisions for the other 31 teams do a little more than look at stats when they’re scouting someone.

Mark my words. Zach Cunningham will clear waivers. Zach Cunningham will not be a starter in 2022.our defense was crap the last 3 years

And still one of the few tradeable assets on the team. Get a 5-6-7 for him. Instead we cut him and eat salary.

I absolutely hate this move by management.

I never said they didn't but you can best believe he will start for someone in 2022.

And still one of the few tradeable assets on the team. Get a 5-6-7 for him. Instead we cut him and eat salary.

I absolutely hate this move by management.

Why does everyone on here assume that you can get X value in trade for Y player? Here’s the thing it doesn’t matter how good a player or what their stats or contract looks like if the other 31 teams say “Pass, we might pick him up when he’s a free agent just to kick the tires but we’re not giving anything up for him.” Then you’re not trading the guy no matter who it is.

At that point you can either keep him on the team or cut him and eat the cost. If you feel that keeping him is more harmful then the lost money then your choice is an easy one.

Why does everyone on here assume that you can get X value in trade for Y player? Here’s the thing it doesn’t matter how good a player or what their stats or contract looks like if the other 31 teams say “Pass, we might pick him up when he’s a free agent just to kick the tires but we’re not giving anything up for him.” Then you’re not trading the guy no matter who it is.

At that point you can either keep him on the team or cut him and eat the cost. If you feel that keeping him is more harmful then the lost money then your choice is an easy one.

We've gotten more as have others for less talented players. Your response is fairly generic and not specific to the player in question.

You guys do realize Minshew wasn't on the table right? Jags still had him on his rookie deal, and no way they trade to us without it costing an arm and a leg. Texans never had any chance of getting him so knocking them for not signing or trading for a player that wasn't available to be signed or traded for seems kind of silly.

I am aware and never said they should have gotten him. I said I like him and would go get him. He is in Philly now. Now it is possible.

He’ll clear waivers because no one is taking on that dumb contract.

Whether he starts again for someone, I don’t know. There’s a lot of players starting in this league who probably shouldn’t be. Unfortunately most of them play for the Texans. Ba-da tsh! So I wouldn’t say there’s no way in hell he doesn’t start again for someone.

Like you you said, he’s a cover LB, drafted to cover, that’s never been able to. Definitely worth a 4 year $58M extension. Oh wait, no, that’s not true at all. Wow, 4/58 for that dude.

Starter? I don’t know, but I think he sees significant snaps with someone.

Oh, and I definitely don’t believe the Texans could have gotten a 3rd or 4th for him like I’ve seen a couple of mentions of. No way in hell. They’d have been lucky to get a 6th IMO, if that much, I think in large part because of the contract.

I don’t disagree with the Texans deciding they could move on from the lack of talent. I just don’t see why it had to be done right this minute, where it’s going to cost them next year. $12M+ is quite a hit.

Damn bro, you’re sipping on some of the finest of you actually believe they were going to get anything close to a 3rd for bum ass Cunningham.

Reactions: JB
With the ineptitude of the front office and the coaching staff, Do you think the Texans will throw David Culley under the bus and fire him after one year?

I think he might get a pass until sometime next year. The reason is Cal is a fool, and will blame the Watson mess as a distraction.

We've gotten more as have others for less talented players. Your response is fairly generic and not specific to the player in question.

Ok then what makes you think they could have gotten anything for him? Pretty much every player on this roster is a back up, has been or never was so what makes you think any team has any interest?

In all due respect if people didn’t believe in everything they hear you wouldn’t have two sides to an argument or a message board.

Ditto. There are also some Texans fans gullible enough to believe that the situation the current HC and GM came into was going to be something that could be turned around in 1 off-season by any HC other than Culley…just b/c they were a coordinator before hand. In their eyes, he’s now more “qualified”…I guess then Richard Smith is a more qualified candidate b/c he was a d-coordinator of a shitty defense for a few years here? Belichick, arguably the GOAT HC, struggled with the Browns to maintain in the year the Browns were slated to move and that was with him coming off of a playoff season the year before. That isn’t even half of the dysfunction Culley faced when he took over here. But here we have Texans fans who just know what the deal is. Just, get rid of Easterby, get a HC and we good…

The lesson learned from Cleveland '96 is even a future GOAT HC can't overcome bad ownership. As soon as he had a good owner, he put together a dynasty.

The inherent problem with Easterby is an unqualified executive in any position of influence and power. This is a direct reflection of bad ownership.

David Culley, nice guy but consensus terrible head coach, is a direct reflection of bad ownership.

The current dysfunction from O'Brien's terrible decisions as GM is a direct reflection of bad ownership.

This organization will continue to flounder and struggle as long as the ownership continues to make bad decisions. This is business 101 and it's no different for a football franchise.

Who says he does alot of things.

Can you tell me what the VP of football operations does for any team? Say the Eagles

Can you tell me any other NFL VP that has graced the cover of Sports Illustrated (including multiple stories) and was mentioned by name by one of the franchise's all-time best players as a negative influence on the franchise?

You can't name another one because there is only one.

you know the answer to that. If you didn’t care who held the EVP position before him and whether or not that individual was “qualified”….you shouldnt care now.

You're right, we "should not" care. We "should not" even know his name.

But the fact that we do speaks volumes.

The fact that he's a relic of the former regime, complete with being a part of that regime's worst decisions, is going to have implications. There was not a clean cut. They left a remnant of abject failure in a position of influence.

It didn't matter who held the position before Easterby because they were not a clear impediment to improving the team. They did not have a culture czar on staff forcing some goofy platitudes on players and staff that has very little to do with winning games and is based in a misguided "character building" agenda. These are their words, not mine.

Surprised there's not a lot of comment on Caserio's lack of comment regarding Culley's future as head coach. I still don't think Culley is in danger after one year. But, maybe Kyle isn't happy with what he's seen, and Culley could be the fall guy. Kyle has to be under some pressure with all of the empty seats on gameday.

I don't think Kyle is self-aware enough to know. He's guaranteed a profit every year because of NFL revenue sharing. I think he's playing with his Tonka trucks and Mario Cart and is just happy wearing matching socks.

Janice McNair, on the other hand, she's most likely the potential catalyst for change, but that change might not be for the better when she's been reported to be mesmerized by Jack Easterby's pied piper routine.

The lesson learned from Cleveland '96 is even a future GOAT HC can't overcome bad ownership. As soon as he had a good owner, he put together a dynasty.

The inherent problem with Easterby is an unqualified executive in any position of influence and power. This is a direct reflection of bad ownership.

David Culley, nice guy but consensus terrible head coach, is a direct reflection of bad ownership.

The current dysfunction from O'Brien's terrible decisions as GM is a direct reflection of bad ownership.

This organization will continue to flounder and struggle as long as the ownership continues to make bad decisions. This is business 101 and it's no different for a football franchise.

Can you tell me any other NFL VP that has graced the cover of Sports Illustrated (including multiple stories) and was mentioned by name by one of the franchise's all-time best players as a negative influence on the franchise?

The fact that he's a relic of the former regime, complete with being a part of that regime's worst decisions, is going to have implications. There was not a clean cut. They left a remnant of abject failure in a position of influence.

It didn't matter who held the position before Easterby because they were not a clear impediment to improving the team. They did not have a culture czar on staff forcing some goofy platitudes on players and staff that has very little to do with winning games and is based in a misguided "character building" agenda. These are their words, not mine.

I don't think Kyle is self-aware enough to know. He's guaranteed a profit every year because of NFL revenue sharing. I think he's playing with his Tonka trucks and Mario Cart and is just happy wearing matching socks.

Janice McNair, on the other hand, she's most likely the potential catalyst for change, but that change might not be for the better when she's been reported to be mesmerized by Jack Easterby's pied piper routine.

Good post. To add to your points. The things going on with the Texans are getting normalized by many posters on this forum. NFL character coaches don't normally have sports agents or influence personnel signings or become interim GMs or VPs. The majority of teams are not giving their HCs the GM title. They are not making terrible trades because a player asked for a new contract or even if another player's mother asked them to.

The Texans have never been a leading edge organization. So, if they are doing things that winning organizations are not doing or would not even consider, you can bet there are questionable ownership decisions being made.

I don't think Kyle is self-aware enough to know. He's guaranteed a
profit every year because of NFL revenue sharing. I think he's playing with his Tonka trucks and Mario Cart and is just happy wearing matching socks.

Agreed, on Belichick,

Agreed on ownership making bad decisions. I've been preaching this since 2010.

The only reason Easterby was on the cover was SI running a hit piece because Rootes/Palcic was let go.

Correct, there should have been a clear cut, I'm thinking Rootes was doing most of what Easterby is doing when Bob McNair was alive and yes I know they hired Rootes replacement.

I look at Easterby job was to get Caserio to come to Kirby and find out all of the dirt that was going on in the org. He did his job and that made some long time employees very mad and vengeful. What is Rootes doing these days. He was the mind of putting corporate profiteering above the on field product.

Truth is, do you believe Caserio is running football oops or not. After seeing last off-season and the cutting of Cunningham I'm pretty sure Cal wasn't lying. What fans aren't liking is that the team is having to go through a full rebuild and that's painful. Why? Because Cal hired BOB as GM and gave a max extension to a sexual predator. It was always going to take 2-3 yrs to cleanup this mess. This is yr 1 of the cleanup

Correct about about Cal and Janice. This comes down to do you think Caserio is the man for the rebuild and will Cal let him fully do his job? The 1st yr of this looks like Cal is going to let Caserio do his job. Unlike his dad.

Good post. To add to your points. The things going on with the Texans are getting normalized by many posters on this forum. NFL character coaches don't normally have sports agents or influence personnel signings or become interim GMs or VPs. The majority of teams are not giving their HCs the GM title. They are not making terrible trades because a player asked for a new contract or even if another player's mother asked them to.

The Texans have never been a leading edge organization. So, if they are doing things that winning organizations are not doing or would not even consider, you can bet there are questionable ownership decisions being made.

Agreed,

It looks like the decision making has changed since Caserio arrived on Kirby. This is the cleanup process and there are only 4 more players to be removed. One who was suspended, one who may be going to jail plus Akins.

BTW, with Tunsil not being willing to comeback from injury and not wanting to practice for the last couple of yrs, I'm now on board with moving him. The Giants are the team I would look to move him to for a top 10 pick.

Continue to take out the Trash.

Pick Neal at 2 and Stingley at 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back