Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Is It time to fire David Culley after 1 year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying Culley has the sole responsibility for making the decision to keep or replace Tim Kelly?
Under normal circumstances, the HC should absolutely have say in who is on his staff. The HC plans the menu, the GM buys the groceries needed for that menu, and the HC and his sous-chefs get to cooking. But this isn't normal circumstances. Culley wasn't brought here to plan menus or do any cooking. He's here to tell us the restaurant is going to be great, that they're working hard to get the recipes right, smile while he's doing it, and cash retirement checks.

Caserio can make the recommendation. However, Culley should have final say to keep or replace Tim Kelly. Most HCs have that in writing before accepting a job. Do they have control over their coaching staff? Do they have control of the game day roster?

Do you think Jerry Jones would tell Jimmy Johnson who to keep or replace on his coaching staff? How about Rick Smith telling O'Brien to fire Devlin? Why should it be different for Culley? In fact, Titans fired Mike Munchak because he was too loyal to his staff and refused to make changes.

Fired Mike Munchak balked at changes with Tennessee Titans (espn.com)

Mike Munchak: Firing assistants wasn't right move (nfl.com)
Earl the Texans have been making dumb ash backwards moves and decisions for quite some time now. And it's not about to change with this new regime. As we can see Cal has given Nick Caserio all the power to do wtf he wants to do. He did it with Obrien and Watson. Brother he's a freaking pushover. That's why Obrien punked him to doing exactly what he wanted him to do. That's one of the reasons why Watson is acting like spoiled brat. That's the reason why Easterby is in the position he's in. Now we have Caserio running the show.

Agree. Then that GM has to find the personnel to match those offensive/defensive philosophies. However, when it comes to the coaching staff, the HC might have to discuss budget or the salaries of his hires, but it's the HC responsibility for who he hires and fires from his coaching staff.

If I'm a GM and the HC hires a guy I know wont be a good fit with what I expect from my org. I know I've made a mistake in hiring the HC and I'm looking to find the next HC that will carry out my wishes. The GM makes the final decisions on all things football, except on gameday's.

If I'm a GM and the HC hires a guy I know wont be a good fit with what I expect from my org. I know I've made a mistake in hiring the HC and I'm looking to find the next HC that will carry out my wishes. The GM makes the final decisions on all things football, except on gameday's.
This is likely a factor in the makeup of the Texans current organization and their plan going forward. Easterby is out of the NE organization. So is Caserio. They have a long time working relationship. And it may not come about, but rumors are that Caserio may have a mind to hire his next HC away from the Pats, someone with whom he also has a long term working relationship.

And it may not come about, but rumors are that Caserio may have a mind to hire his next HC away from the Pats, someone with whom he also has a long term working relationship
Those aren't real rumors, that's wishful thinking borne out of hate.

I’m not really a fan of Culley but I personally don’t see the point of firing him now. We are going to be terrible next year regardless of who is coaching. Culley will actually probably help us ensure we get 4 or less wins again next year and another top 5 pick. We need two good draft classes plus a cleaned up cap, which obviously we have a horrible dead cap. Wouldn’t hurt for a potential coach to get more info on Mills either. I’d stick with Culley one more year then look to make that jump. Caserio has already done a few things to slow down a real rebuild this year (in my opinion). Last thing we need is a C coach (Culley is a D-/F) coming in a getting us to 6-7 wins. I’d rather get the best draft picks over next two years and clear the books so we can have a shot at a B/A- type coach. Just my opinion.

Really? From a "reliable" New England source?
Really. Why wouldn't he have gotten his coach last season than sign a lame duck for 5 years. Doesn't make sense.

Even if there was an effort to "save" Watson, it would have made more sense to get your coach then.

If this is your philosophy, why all the complaining about Smith not getting Kubiak a QB? Having a GM making final decisions on all things football has created more issues than solved them. This approach is why any HC that has any success wants more control in personnel matters. Eventually, there will be conflicts between the GM and HC.

NFL history is littered with HCs who eventually get tired of GMs making all final decisions and are either given more responsibilities or fired. IMHO. The next HC has to be someone Caserio knows and will allow him to make all final decisions. What can go wrong with that strategy?

Like marriage, head coach-GM union is rarely perfect (espn.com)

If this is your philosophy, why all the complaining about Smith not getting Kubiak a QB? Having a GM making final decisions on all things football has created more issues than solved them. This approach is why any HC that has any success wants more control in personnel matters. Eventually, there will be conflicts between the GM and HC.

NFL history is littered with HCs who eventually get tired of GMs making all final decisions and are either given more responsibilities or fired. IMHO. The next HC has to be someone Caserio knows and will allow him to make all final decisions. What can go wrong with that strategy?

Like marriage, head coach-GM union is rarely perfect (espn.com)

The difference is that RS would've neer gotten the GM job without Kubiak's recommendation. You would think he would get Kubiak the guy he wanted if their was a disagreement. Also simply because I knew that Smith wasn't good at his job. He also was an idiot for not taking the advice of 1 of the greatest developers of QB's of his era.

The difference is that RS would've neer gotten the GM job without Kubiak's recommendation. You would think he would get Kubiak the guy he wanted if their was a disagreement. Also simply because I knew that Smith wasn't good at his job. He also was an idiot for not taking the advice of 1 of the greatest developers of QB's of his era.
Do I sense you're coming back to your senses? Rick Smith had no say in Texans QB while Kubiak was HC. Kubiak found Schaub on his own and this is where Bob McNair really screwed up by not letting Kubiak find another QB after Schaub went south. Smith's first real foray in finding a Texans QB was Brock Osweiler but that was mostly at Bob McNair's direction.

Do I sense you're coming back to your senses? Rick Smith had no say in Texans QB while Kubiak was HC. Kubiak found Schaub on his own and this is where Bob McNair really screwed up by not letting Kubiak find another QB after Schaub went south. Smith's first real foray in finding a Texans QB was Brock Osweiler but that was mostly at Bob McNair's direction.

One of our MB members who's very familiar with Kubiak and has watched games in the McNair's suite back in the day would disagree with this post.

Kubiak asked RS to find him a QB and to not extend Schaub according to this member. Also Kubiak had Manning in the building and ready to sign with the Texans. RS said no, according to this member who I choose to believe.

One of our MB members who's very familiar with Kubiak and has watched games in the McNair's suite back in the day would disagree with this post.

Kubiak asked RS to find him a QB and to not extend Schaub according to this member. Also Kubiak had Manning in the building and ready to sign with the Texans. RS said no, according to this member who I choose to believe.

From what I recall, and these may be rumors, but Kubiak didn’t want to extend Schaub.

And Kubiak wanted to entertain Manning when he was leaving the Colts but I think I remember reading that Rick Smith was the obstacle.

This may or may not be true or just half may be.

Under normal circumstances, the HC should absolutely have say in who is on his staff. The HC plans the menu, the GM buys the groceries needed for that menu, and the HC and his sous-chefs get to cooking. But this isn't normal circumstances. Culley wasn't brought here to plan menus or do any cooking. He's here to tell us the restaurant is going to be great, that they're working hard to get the recipes right, smile while he's doing it, and cash retirement checks.
And this is why Culley should have never received a contract longer than 3 years. If Culley's current contract doesn't have an out before the 5 years, then the Texans got hustled again.

I have my senses just fine.

I just choose to agree with what an insider told me, than what you believe happened. I do believe McNair told rS to find a QB when BOB was here. (Twice)

1. Osweiler
2. Derrick

Both fails.
If what you say is true, that Kubiak told Smith to find him a QB in 2012, why did it take Smith 3 years and the year after Kubiak was gone to find a QB? No comprende.

If what you say is true, that Kubiak told Smith to find him a QB in 2012, why did it take Smith 3 years and the year after Kubiak was gone to find a QB? No comprende.

A very good question.

It came down RS not valuing the QB position.

If rumor is true RS didn't draft the QB BOB wanted him to draft in BOB's rookie yr.

I happen to think in a weird way, not finding a QB gave RS job security and RS definitely knew how to play the political games.

A very good question.

It came down RS not valuing the QB position.

If rumor is true RS didn't draft the QB BOB wanted him to draft in BOB's rookie yr.

I happen to think in a weird way, not finding a QB gave RS job security and RS definitely knew how to play the political games.
I think your contact who sat in the McNair's private box, spent all of his time sitting on the floor in the back of the suite playing video games with Game Boy. :)

This was a good week for Coach Culley because he's probably got the worst roster in his division but he prepared his team and got them up to play well enough to stick somebody else in the division celler, and do it convincingly.
And Culley had his best defensive players on the COVID reserve list this week and he was on the road, of course always tougher than playing at home. This week should help Casserio & the ownership IMO in their decision about whether or not to retain Culley beyond the current season.

Odd to see that the most prepared DC had this team and best game day coaching came against the Jags, maybe we just know them well. No real gaffes, and team seem prepared from the start, solid clock management... NOt saying DC is HOF, but these two games never made me say WTF while some others, well you know. The team still plays hard, but with so many young guys called up and getting looked at, plus one year contracts maybe that is to be expected. I suspect DC gets another year

Odd to see that the most prepared DC had this team and best game day coaching came against the Jags, maybe we just know them well. No real gaffes, and team seem prepared from the start, solid clock management... NOt saying DC is HOF, but these two games never made me say WTF while some others, well you know. The team still plays hard, but with so many young guys called up and getting looked at, plus one year contracts maybe that is to be expected. I suspect DC gets another year
Yes sir, I go with that.

Is this the "insider" info we're talking about? If Caserio really wants McDaniels, why didn't he bring him in already? McDaniels was ready to take over the Colts at one time. He's not tied to the Patriots.

Is this the "insider" info we're talking about? If Caserio really wants McDaniels, why didn't he bring him in already? McDaniels was ready to take over the Colts at one time. He's not tied to the Patriots.
When McDaniels is hired by the Texans he will be tied to the Patriots. McDaniels is at the top of list for several reasons, Nick and Josh are very good friends, Caserio only knows the Patriots way of doing things, McDaniels is all Patriots except for his Denver SNAFU. That SNAFU does not register on the Caserio radar. Then you will have (3) Belichick lackeys running the Houston Texans. It's going to be worse than the Bill O'Brien - Jack Easterby Show.

When McDaniels is hired by the Texans he will be tied to the Patriots. McDaniels is at the top of list for several reasons, Nick and Josh are very good friends, Caserio only knows the Patriots way of doing things, McDaniels is all Patriots except for his Denver SNAFU. That SNAFU does not register on the Caserio radar. Then you will have (3) Belichick lackeys running the Houston Texans. It's going to be worse than the Bill O'Brien - Jack Easterby Show.
It will be the NRG Triumvirate. Jack will be in charge of the Venn diagrams and RACI matrix.

I'm looking forward to seeing McDaniels work with Mills.

The play calling should also be upgraded.

Instead of typing so much, just type I hate anything Foxboro and be done with it.

Culley's press conference starts around 17:00 He gets into a lot. You should give it a listen.

Last edited:

Yes and no. During this segment they mentioned this had been discussed in an earlier segment. It wasn't mentioned in this segment, but, it must have been earlier, the name Jarod Mayo came up.

Don't know if it's been posted, maybe in the NFL topic, but the rules have been changed so that teams can now approach potential candidates during the season, starting next week. The one restriction is that there must be an opening.

If the Texans are interested in McDaniels, and there is a good chance that McDaniels will be looked at and interviewed by teams this off season, then the Texans may fire Culley before the end of the season so as to be first to interview McDaniels and offer him the job with the Texans.

This is being discussed today on 610.

Is this the role of the GM? I can understand a GM wanting to run a WCO or EP scheme and then hiring a HC who runs a WCO or EP scheme. However, after the hire, isn't it the HC that determines his staff and how he wants to implement his plan and schemes? Shouldn't the GM be more concerned about drafting and signing personnel to match the HC plans and ideas?

I don't recall any HC who has had any success allowing a GM to have that type of power over him. It's not the GM's coaching staff. The GM and HC are partners with distinct roles and responsibilities. People not staying in their lanes is what has gotten the Texans in this mess.

yep. Well said. Anyone that has paid any attention to NFL history understands the basic responsibilities of GMs and HCs and comprehends why each has their own lane.

The rub is when the GM and HC are not connected by hire and do not share the same vision. We've seen this too many times with the Texans front office. Power struggles, ass kissing, back stabbing, and just plain old human ego come into play when front offices are not aligned toward a common vision.

Good analogy. Using your example, Culley is just a Maître d' and apparently has no say over ingredients, recipes, staff, or even percentage of tips. His hiring was solely to buy Caserio some time and gets paid millions to do his Howdy Doody routine for the press. He's a glad hander and cheerleader.

Did you know his brother is already on the Texans coaching staff? His name is Ben McDaniels and he's an assistant wide receivers / offensive assistant coach.

I'm looking forward to seeing McDaniels work with Mills.

The play calling should also be upgraded.

Instead of typing so much, just type I hate anything Foxboro and be done with it.
If I just said, I want nothing to do with Belichick lackeys, would that suffice?

We're talking about the guy who declined a penalty to punt instead of playing 3rd down over, right? Yeah, I'm judging him on what he's does too. And it hasn't been good. I guess when the Texans are so bad that fans sleep through their games, people won't see stuff.

You're acting like he is the first HC, never mind the first rookie HC, to make a boneheaded decision. I'll admit Culley hasn't exactly impressed me but I also look at what he's working with. Its like telling a guy to build a house with silly string and chewing gum and then complaining when the house falls down.

Hope so. But even still… what Kelly is doing clearly isn’t working. We saw Joe Brady get fired who was much more highly regarded than Kelly.

Why can’t Kelly at least be stripped of playcalling duties? They have a veteran play caller in Pep Hamilton, let him have a shot and maybe he’ll run whatever it is Culley is envisioning. The lack of in-season adjustment is disappointing. Lots of personnel turnover, particularly shuffling around OL. But there is clearly a need for adjustment in the coaching ranks so lets see it.

I agree Kelly is bad but lets not confuse facts here, Pep Hamilton is not a veteran play caller either and has nothing on his resume that says he would be good at the job either. He has been OC for 2 seasons same number as Kelly and his success at the position is largely due to having Luck at QB. Again not saying he wouldn't do a better job but people on here are talking about him like he was an all star OC and the fact is he's not.

As for why they're not removing Kelly, frankly why should they? Season is shot anyway and they are playing for top 3 so get your money's worth out of his contract and then fire him in the off season. At this point winning more doesn't help and some would argue actually hurts the team.

You're acting like he is the first HC, never mind the first rookie HC, to make a boneheaded decision. I'll admit Culley hasn't exactly impressed me but I also look at what he's working with. Its like telling a guy to build a house with silly string and chewing gum and then complaining when the house falls down.
Bonehead decisions are one thing. Even the most experienced make those. Trying to figure out whether to play 3rd down over or punt, there's not a decision there to be made. A kindergartner could make that call. That's like I'm going to flip this 2 headed coin, call it in the air. Culley calls tails. What??

And now he's admitting that Nick and RAC are on the headset with him during games. So why are they not helping with a tough decision like punt or play the down over? And then he says that them telling him to let the Pats score so they could get the ball back quicker didn't compute to him? They talk about when to use timeouts because he's been in the game 27 years and doesn't know? Rookie or not, dude is in over his head.

Last edited:
If I just said, I want nothing to do with Belichick lackeys, would that suffice?

Yes, but

Lackey's that's to be determined.

I sure would like to have a guy like Dinitroff who had put together the talent to have a 28-3 lead on the Patriots in a SB. I would take my chances.

So who is this "reliable" source and more importantly who says that they are reliable?
If you are implying there is no such thing as a "reliable" source, other than an owner or GM, then ok, I would agree. But more generally, a reliable source is someone who has a reputation within, and is accepted as such, by the news media and those within the NFL industry.

The source for this news rumor is Albert Greer (sp) and was picked up and commented on by 610. This commentary has been linked in this thread.

Bonehead decisions are one thing. Even the most experienced make those. Trying to figure out whether to play 3rd down over or punt, there's not a decision there to be made. A kindergartner could make that call. That's like I'm going to flip this 2 headed coin, call it in the air. Culley calls tails. What??

And now he's admitting that Nick and RAC are on the headset with him during games. So why are they not helping with a tough decision like punt or play the down over? And then he's says that them telling him to let the Pats score so they could get the ball back quicker didn't compute to him? They talk about when to use timeouts because he's been in the game 27 years and doesn't know? Rookie or not, dude is in over his head.

Maybe or maybe he could also just be a first time HC. I won’t speak for anyone but myself but in both my careers, my previous one and my current one, in both of my first time in those roles I was “in over my head” and made some boneheaded decisions that when I looked back at them the next day.

In both those careers I became good enough that they had me training others. I’m not saying Culley will ever be a good HC but if you were expecting him to not make some boneheaded rookie mistakes then you’ve never been or dealt with someone new in a high pressure job.

If you are implying there is no such thing as a "reliable" source, other than an owner or GM, then ok, I would agree. But more generally, a reliable source is someone who has a reputation within, and is accepted as such, by the news media and those within the NFL industry.

The source for this news rumor is Albert Greer (sp) and was picked up and commented on by 610. This commentary has been linked in this thread.

I’m not implying anything, I was asking who that source was and what the reporter considers reliable because to often we are just told insider sources and are expected to trust the reporter. In the modern media it’s more important to be first to report something than it is to be right about reporting something.

Just look at all the respected reporters with insider information that swore Watson would be in Miami right now. Boy did they go radio silent and not mention that any more real fast.

Maybe or maybe he could also just be a first time HC. I won’t speak for anyone but myself but in both my careers, my previous one and my current one, in both of my first time in those roles I was “in over my head” and made some boneheaded decisions that when I looked back at them the next day.

In both those careers I became good enough that they had me training others. I’m not saying Culley will ever be a good HC but if you were expecting him to not make some boneheaded rookie mistakes then you’ve never been or dealt with someone new in a high pressure job.
Again, not saying I expect perfection from a rookie, or anyone for that matter. And let's keep in mind that this rookie has been in the business for 27 years. I do, however, expect things that require no thought at all, not to be fucked up. I don't think that's expecting too much, even if someone's never done it before. I don't know what your experiences are, and it doesn't really doesn't matter. This is football, not rocket science, or brain surgery or garbage collecting. And the guy has been in a coaching capacity in it for 27 years. A young rookie who's been in the league 4 years like Staley, there's going to be some growing pains. Hell, same with Bill O'Brien when he 1st got here, except he never learned a damn thing. And as I've mentioned, even the experienced still make boneheaded decisions. Culley's in-game decisions, and then trying to explain those decisions at the podium afterwards, he just appears to have no clue. I don't give a damn if he's a rookie or not. You can make mistakes, just know what the **** is going on.

I’m not implying anything, I was asking who that source was and what the reporter considers reliable because to often we are just told insider sources and are expected to trust the reporter. In the modern media it’s more important to be first to report something than it is to be right about reporting something.

Just look at all the respected reporters with insider information that swore Watson would be in Miami right now. Boy did they go radio silent and not mention that any more real fast.
Ok, can't disagree.

I can't really comment on Watson because I don't follow that story. But I get the impression most of this "reporting" is via social media, basically click bait. I would say the SI report was reliable. The recent report in the Chronicle regarding the Watson subpoenas is reliable reporting.

By the way, this is really scary. Just about anyone who has been in any kind of contact with him, such as "friends", can, or will, have all their records seized, also. There could potentially be thousands, or tens of thousands, of people who may have their social media records seized in a dragnet to find anything or everything on Watson. I have a very low opinion of Watson, but I find this scary and unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back