Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Is It Really Smart To Draft OL In 1st?

Jet fan weighing in. This thread is the reason why I believe the Jets are the odds on team in the running for a trade for the #1 pick, being, we are in the "spot" for the "Brick" being drafted!

outofhnd said:
Jamal Lewis - John Ogden
Marshall Faulk - Orlando Pace
Shaun Alexander - Walter Jones
Emmit Smith - Larry Allen
James Brooks - Anthony Munoz
Eddie George - Brad Hopkins

Domanick Davis meet D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON

thunderkyss said:
In your summation, would getting D'Brick fix our line, or help us in the right direction?? & What would you do with our second pick??

Definitely D'brick would help our line- hes a brilliant pass protector and would lock up the left hand side of our line. i think we need help inside on our line aswell but G and C can be addressed in late rounds. with our 2nd pick, depending on who's there, id take something like this:1 D'quell Jackson
2 Kiwi/Hali
3 Ko Simpson/Cromartie
4 Pope/Lewis
5 Moss/Chad Jackson

this may be an oversimplification and I'm not being sarcastic, but if they turn out to be productive NFL players for years to come then yes it was smart. If they turn out to be pedestrian, then no it wasn't ....

chuckm said:
this may be an oversimplification and I'm not being sarcastic, but if they turn out to be productive NFL players for years to come then yes it was smart. If they turn out to be pedestrian, then no it wasn't ....

That's pretty much true of any of the 1st round picks Chuck. In fact, it could be said about any of the first day picks that are only turn out so-so IMO.

the funny thing is two years ago this wouldn't have been a discussion...we would all be pushing for ferguson and the top rated qb or rb wouldn't have entered our minds...of course i'm talking about gallery, eli, and jackson...if we were in the same spot 2 years ago we would have all been for moving up and grabbing gallery...now that everyone has seen the rose bowl they want either VY in here because they believe carr can't lead us to a superbowl...or they believe that bush will be the game changer we need...personally i believe that the best pick for us lies in either ferguson or mario williams...i also believe that this is a time for us to decide whether or not we want to focus the majority of the draft on offense or defense...personally i think we need to shore up the offense...let's see if carr is the guy we really want in these next couple of years...draft heavey on offense and shore up the defense once the offense is where it needs to be...i can live for two seasons of having the high power offense with no defense if we can get carr and johnson back on page to becoming yearly pro bowlers...then worry about the defense

note: you can always make the playoffs with really good offenses and average defenses...then all you need is a few players on defense to get you to that superbowl...let's make it happen with ferguson number 1...fix this line...plus can you tell me has there been any other team in these past four years that has only drafted 5 offensive lineman: pitts, weary, brown, wand, and hodgdon

keyfro said:
the funny thing is two years ago this wouldn't have been a discussion...we would all be pushing for ferguson and the top rated qb or rb wouldn't have entered our minds...of course i'm talking about gallery, eli, and jackson...if we were in the same spot 2 years ago we would have all been for moving up and grabbing gallery...now that everyone has seen the rose bowl they want either VY in here because they believe carr can't lead us to a superbowl...or they believe that bush will be the game changer we need...personally i believe that the best pick for us lies in either ferguson or mario williams...i also believe that this is a time for us to decide whether or not we want to focus the majority of the draft on offense or defense...personally i think we need to shore up the offense...let's see if carr is the guy we really want in these next couple of years...draft heavey on offense and shore up the defense once the offense is where it needs to be...i can live for two seasons of having the high power offense with no defense if we can get carr and johnson back on page to becoming yearly pro bowlers...then worry about the defense

note: you can always make the playoffs with really good offenses and average defenses...then all you need is a few players on defense to get you to that superbowl...let's make it happen with ferguson number 1...fix this line...plus can you tell me has there been any other team in these past four years that has only drafted 5 offensive lineman: pitts, weary, brown, wand, and hodgdon

I agree, lets give carr all the protection and weapons he needs. People want carr out of here but forget that in 04 he threw for 3500 yds and threw more tds than ints. I agree that his decision-making is "sub-par" at times but you cant blame him. I mean when you have dwight freeny in your face in less than a second there's not much time to think. Our o-line was horrible this year and not once did Carr throw them under the bus. We have been in need for a FRANCHISE LT since day one. Our first pick in the expansion draft was Tony Boselli, and unfortunetly not once did he step on the field. We need D'Brick. I know that everybody says that this draft is full of LTs, but none one of them has the agility, the feet, the quickness that this kid has. He's so good that last year he was considered a top 5 pick, even at less than 300 pounds. I believe this kid will start from day one and he will be one of the greats for the next 10-15 years. Tackles like this dont come along very often.
Let's fix our o-line but at the same time not ignore our defense. As of right now im for trading down and selecting D'BRICK, but if the Texans select Mario Williams i would'nt be mad, id be one of the first in line for his jersey

:texflag: :fans: texanpride

edo783 said:
That's pretty much true of any of the 1st round picks Chuck. In fact, it could be said about any of the first day picks that are only turn out so-so IMO.

yep ... exactly my point ....

H-Texan7_5 said:
I agree, lets give carr all the protection and weapons he needs. People want carr out of here but forget that in 04 he threw for 3500 yds and threw more tds than ints. I agree that his decision-making is "sub-par" at times but you cant blame him. I mean when you have dwight freeny in your face in less than a second there's not much time to think. Our o-line was horrible this year and not once did Carr throw them under the bus. We have been in need for a FRANCHISE LT since day one. Our first pick in the expansion draft was Tony Boselli, and unfortunetly not once did he step on the field. We need D'Brick. I know that everybody says that this draft is full of LTs, but none one of them has the agility, the feet, the quickness that this kid has. He's so good that last year he was considered a top 5 pick, even at less than 300 pounds. I believe this kid will start from day one and he will be one of the greats for the next 10-15 years. Tackles like this dont come along very often.
Let's fix our o-line but at the same time not ignore our defense. As of right now im for trading down and selecting D'BRICK, but if the Texans select Mario Williams i would'nt be mad, id be one of the first in line for his jersey

:texflag: :fans: texanpride

Damn David Carr ...he's had his chance! He IS NOT the FUTURE of this team. In the same way that we separated ties with the coaching staff that drafted him ...we should part ways with David Carr.

We desperately need an EXCITING AND ELECTRIFYING type player in Houston. We thought it would be Andre Johnson, but he's had to taper his game because of David Carr's inefectiveness.

My vote, OFCOURSE, is for Vince Young ...

OPTIONS
1) Draft Vince
2) Draft Bush
3) Trade down with the Tenn or NYJ
4) Then take Vernon Davis with the 4th (Unless Vince or Bush are available)
5) If we trade down any further than 4
6) Mario Williams
7) D'Brick
8) From here I think its wide open ...we obviously don't wany Lienart or Cutler
9) AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, are a couple of 1st round alternatives

Back