Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

nah you doctors don't know what you are talking about, my 5 minute google search is more than enough to disprove you. *sarcasm

You should take the same approach with Drs that you do with lawyers. Like them, they get paid to practice their craft & its not too hard to find a dr. who really doesn't know what the hell he's talking about..This coming from someone whose worked intimately with physicians for 15+ years. No shade to our very own Cloak of course whom is clearly well-versed in his ****.

You should take the same approach with Drs that you do with lawyers. Like them, they get paid to practice their craft & its not too hard to find a dr. who really doesn't know what the hell he's talking about..This coming from someone whose worked intimately with physicians for 15+ years. No shade to our very own Cloak of course whom is clearly well-versed in his ****.
Having gone through 3 major abdominal surgeries in the last year, due to a ruptured appendix and subsequent large ventral hernia, you can ask 5 doctors the best way to perform these procedures and get 8 different answers.

Having gone through 3 major abdominal surgeries in the last year, due to a ruptured appendix and subsequent large ventral hernia, you can ask 5 doctors the best way to perform these procedures and get 8 different answers.

I would like it a lot more if Degree's had the recipients GPA stamped on it.

I would like it a lot more if Degree's had the recipients GPA stamped on it.

Still wouldn't tell you much. Most of these guys are book smart, they can't always apply it in practice though; that's why so many of them wind up in research sector. I've been in multiple situations where i've had to explain how to do life saving procedures during a bedside code to an MD. They may have seen done multiple times..may have even participated in it but never done it themselves. Those guys are so terrified 1 of them to the point he was shaking. Many of them have MD's from prestigious schools, They're just so green, there would literally be no difference between you or I doing it.

Whenever you see "hamstring" on the Injury Report, there is likelihood that there will be games missed............and that recurrence with more missed games, especially in the same season, is a high risk.
I dunno but apparently groin injuries are very infrequent as I don't recall seeing listings on IR ? Or maybe unlike hamstrings, groins are relativly easy to recover from ?

Clowney has had "core" problems in the past, even before his knee problems. With all of his accumulating lower extremities issues, the core is going to be continually stressed in compensation. And when the core is stressed, the lower extremities are at high risk for compensatory injuries. Simply put, at one point in time, it becomes one vicious cycle.........one feeding on the other.

Clowney has had "core" problems in the past, even before his knee problems. With all of his accumulating lower extremities issues, the core is going to be continually stressed in compensation. And when the core is stressed, the lower extremities are at high risk for compensatory injuries. Simply put, at one point in time, it becomes one vicious cycle.........one feeding on the other.

Soooo, basically he is becoming a bit of a China doll and will be on the injury list most games and will be missing them pretty regularly. If so, that's just terrific. Really helps the team.

If anyone would like a rundown of all the different movements affected by having a reduced core strength, hit me up. That been the last 12+ months for me.

Per Aaron Wilson: Bill O'Brien said team hasn't decided on whether Kevin Johnson (concussion, injured reserve) will try to play again this year

God damn it Keke. Will she ever play?
I'm really becoming irritated by this.
Unfortunately, return to play after hamstrings are not totally predict. It’s important to note that the severity of hamstring strain is an important prognostic factor with respect to return to play. This is commonly done through an MRI machine and will be diagnosed as either grade I, II or III. The classic is ~0-3 weeks for Grade I, ~2-8 weeks for Grade II, and ~3-6 months for Grade III.

It is very difficult to determine how long an athlete may be out for based on their MRI.. For example, athlete A may have a minor grade I type I hamstring strain and require 6 weeks of rehab, while athlete B may have a moderate grade II type II hamstring strain and return to sport within 3 weeks. Other prognostic factors have to be considered when determining an athletes prognosis.

• Days to walk pain free (>1 day = 4 times more likely to take >3 weeks)
  • The more proximal the site of injury to the pelvis = the longer the return to play
  • Involvement of the tendon = longer return to play
  • Larger tenderness area with palpation = longer return to play
  • Less self-confidence = longer return to play able.

Ellington is still not yet "hamstrung."

However, with his history, we've got to hold our breath.:

Dec 3, 2017 Hamstring tear Grade 3 Ellington.............missed the final 4 games

Aug 26, 2016 Hamstring tear Grade 3................Ellington missed the entire season after tearing his hamstring in Week 3 of the preseason

May 5, 2015 NFL Hamstring tear undisclosed Grade (full detail disclosure not necessary since it didn't occur during the regular season)
Well, looks like my concern was justified.

Adam Wexler‏@KPRC2AdamW
G Senio Kelemete now ruled out with a knee injury. He'd been on the stationary bike since the beginning of the game.

It doesn't make sense to me that after a "knee injury," he would have been immediately placed on a stationary bike instead being treated with rest, ice and anti-inflammatories. His injury sounds more like a mild soft tissue injury of the quad or hamstring.

Unfortunately, return to play after hamstrings are not totally predict. It’s important to note that the severity of hamstring strain is an important prognostic factor with respect to return to play. This is commonly done through an MRI machine and will be diagnosed as either grade I, II or III. The classic is ~0-3 weeks for Grade I, ~2-8 weeks for Grade II, and ~3-6 months for Grade III.

It is very difficult to determine how long an athlete may be out for based on their MRI.. For example, athlete A may have a minor grade I type I hamstring strain and require 6 weeks of rehab, while athlete B may have a moderate grade II type II hamstring strain and return to sport within 3 weeks. Other prognostic factors have to be considered when determining an athletes prognosis.

• Days to walk pain free (>1 day = 4 times more likely to take >3 weeks)
  • The more proximal the site of injury to the pelvis = the longer the return to play
  • Involvement of the tendon = longer return to play
  • Larger tenderness area with palpation = longer return to play
  • Less self-confidence = longer return to play able.

I hope they give him all of the time he needs to get FULLY healthy, especially since the team sucks anyways.

Watson will be announced later as having suffered bruised ribs. This is a pretty nondescript term which can mean many things............blood vessel burst over the area of trauma........or many times a tear or fracture of the cartilage where it meets the bony rib cage structures causes the bleeding. If it is the latter, it is very painful with upper extremity movement and even breathing. Torn cartilage may be much longer in "healing" and debility than "cracked ribs (bone)." The latter usually takes 6-8 weeks. Meanwhile, The usual time taken for complete recovery from a rib cartilage injury is ~3-4 months because the cartilages have very poor blood supply. Refraining from strenuous activities and taking adequate rest is the only thing that can speed up the healing time. Time will tell us more about the nature of his injury.

fff5979adfd9cafabe72e899cea1ca48.jpg

Last edited:
I felt bad for Watson after the game he got beat up worse the Gennady Golovkin and brought back visions of the Carr nightmare train.

Watson will be announced later as having suffered bruised ribs. This is a pretty nondescript term which can mean many things............blood vessel burst over the area of trauma........or many times a tear or fracture of the cartilage where it meets the bony rib cage structures causes the bleeding. If it is the latter, it is very painful with upper extremity movement and even breathing. Torn cartilage may be much longer in "healing" and debility than "cracked ribs (bone)." The latter usually takes 6-8 weeks. Meanwhile, The usual time taken for complete recovery from a rib cartilage injury is ~3-4 months because the cartilages have very poor blood supply. Refraining from strenuous activities and taking adequate rest is the only thing that can speed up the healing time. Time will tell us more about the nature of his injury.

Guess not.

Dylan Cole is going on IR with a dislocated wrist. apparently happened during the 1st quarter last week, he kept quiet and played through it, because he didn't want to come out.

@RapSheet
#Texans LB Dylan Cole, one of their up-and-coming players and a core special teamer, is expected to be placed on Injured Reserve with a dislocated wrist from Sunday, sources say. He kept quiet & played 3 quarters after the injury because he didn’t want to come off the field. Nuts

Dylan Cole is going on IR with a dislocated wrist. apparently happened during the 1st quarter last week, he kept quiet and played through it, because he didn't want to come out.
To have played 3 Qs with this injury, he is one tough player. Wrist dislocations cause excruciating wrist and forearm pain with movement............tying one's shoe laces become a monumental chore. If he only required a reduction/alignment of the bones, recovery is a 1 1/2-3 month rehab. However, if surgery is required because of significant ligament tearing or fracture, 6-12 months can be expected for recovery.

As an aside, if the wrist was not relocated right after it dislocated, and he continued to play with it that way, he may very well have turn the required treatment from conservative management to necessary surgical intervention.

Colvin is dealing with a chest injury.

@RapSheet
#Texans LB Dylan Cole, one of their up-and-coming players and a core special teamer, is expected to be placed on Injured Reserve with a dislocated wrist from Sunday, sources say. He kept quiet & played 3 quarters after the injury because he didn’t want to come off the field. Nuts

upload_2018-9-25_10-19-16.png
Only three weeks in.......

Just an additional thought on what's happened to Mercilus besides my comments on his shoulder injury (very possibly related to his pec rupture last season..........remember, he missed the entire preseason with a hamstring injury.

@TexansCap
Texans announce Bruce Ellington and Dylan Cole to IR. Daeshon Hall (OLB) signed from SF practice squad. David Sharpe (T) to active roster.

So Keke arrives! Hope he remembered his cape. I like Cole but may have taken himself out for season..stupid. Injuries already piling up; guess the new strength coach and diet food not the answer.

So Keke arrives! Hope he remembered his cape. I like Cole but may have taken himself out for season..stupid. Injuries already piling up; guess the new strength coach and diet food not the answer.

We are still one of the teams with the fewest players on IR I believe. I don't know many exercises you can do to prevent your wrist from dislocating, and Ellington's hamstring was inevitable

For Ellington there is nothing he can probably do to help prevent this problem. I know CnD has discussed the type of surgery he has had on his hamstring before, it's something most people don't come back from.

Many non‐modifiable and modifiable risk factors for recurrent hamstring injuries exist including, but not limited to: previous injury, increasing age, ethnicity, strength imbalances, inflexibility, and fatigue. Most hamstring injuries are of the hamstring muscle unit or where the muscle joins the tendon. Most recurrent injuries are in these same areas. Hamstring tendon tears are the ones that lead to surgical repair (partial tears that don't respond to conservative measures and complete tendon tears). Tendon repairs can be quite successful (~80%) while complete muscle tear repair does not carry a great success rate (partial muscles are treated conservatively)..........trying to place support sutures through muscle tissue is very close to trying to sew wet toilet paper...........the sutures notoriously pull through the tissues.

I believe you may have been referring to Andre Johnson's posts of mine criticizing his nontraditional surgical treatment. This involved not repairing, but clipping of one of his partially torn distal hamstring tendons, allowing it to retract..............thus loosing its power, and decreasing explosiveness............a resultant trait that was apparent for the remainder of Johnson's career.

Finally, recurrent hamstring muscle tears lead to scar tissue formation at the site of healing.............as healing proceeds, scar tissue contracts/shortens, thus further setting up the player for future hamstring tears.

[I will repost this in the Injury Thread]

Last edited:
Great news for Texans today, and it will make no impact on this season but still FANTASTIC to hear.

Andre Hal's cancer is in remission

Edit: Apparently Hal opted not to do chemo because he wanted to get back on the field THIS year. He went with a different treatment, and never stopped working out during his time away. Texans trainer said it's possible to see him return this year

This is excellent news on its surface. As I've posted before, Hodkins Lymphoma caught early has an excellent cure rate. The treatment option referred to here is immunotherapy, where the patient's own blood is used to create its own concentrated antibodies to fight the specific disease. There are no good controlled studies compared to traditional chemotherapy. At least half of patients placed on this therapy will have relapse and chemotherapy is then added to the regimen. This immunotherapy is most effective in combination as it does not result in cure as a single agent at the current time. It does give Hal at least some extra time to continue a relatively normal activity level. I would be surprised if chemotherapy is not begun after the end of the season. If so, this could very well mean loss of the opportunity to build back up for a "clean" 2019 season (including OTAs, TC, and part of the regular season). What must be kept in mind if chemotherapy is not added, if relapse occurs, it carries a markedly poorer prognosis. Sometimes it is wiser to choose a proven treatment and lose a little time early than an option that may affect the prognosis with loss of more than just a lot more "time" later.

This is excellent news on its surface. As I've posted before, Hodkins Lymphoma caught early has an excellent cure rate. The treatment option referred to here is immunotherapy, where the patient's own blood is used to create its own concentrated antibodies to fight the specific disease. There are no good controlled studies compared to traditional chemotherapy. At least half of patients placed on this therapy will have relapse and chemotherapy is then added to the regimen. This immunotherapy is most effective in combination as it does not result in cure as a single agent at the current time. It does give Hal at least some extra time to continue a relatively normal activity level. I would be surprised if chemotherapy is not begun after the end of the season. If so, this could very well mean loss of the opportunity to build back up for a "clean" 2019 season (including OTAs, TC, and part of the regular season). What must be kept in mind if chemotherapy is not added, if relapse occurs, it carries a markedly poorer prognosis. Sometimes it is wiser to choose a proven treatment and lose a little time early than an option that may affect the prognosis with loss of more than just a lot more "time" later.

man you took me from being over joyed to feeling pretty worried, but thanks for the honest info as always

Back