Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

200w.gif
Okie - I guess you're a 9 guy then.

Would you mind giving your opinion on Kareem? I read that he had a hamstring injury among others. He wasn't often listed on your injury reports, but I found his play quite abnormal for chunks of the season. I especially watched him against the Pats, he was hobbled and diving instead of turning ... what don't we know? Or is he just regressing in your opinion?
I believe that KJa's problems was less related to regression than to his injuries. The early part of the season, he sustained a neck injury which he had to deal with significantly into Oct. As this was easing up for him, the beginning of Oct he sustained a significant hamstring tear which very much affected his play throughout that month. This injury began easing up (but not gone) during Nov, after which in the beginning of Dec, he re-injured it and was limited even more. If this wasn't enough, the end of Dec, he re-injured his neck and dealt with that until the end of the playoffs. Between being limited in accelerating, decelerating and changing direction due to hamstring problem.........and not being able to turn his neck freely (a problem he had his early years, but not due to injuries) would readily explain the appearance of a "regression." He needs some prolonged rest and rehab. My concern is that a hamstring once injured is more likely to be re-injured in another season. And I will also be hoping that his recurrent neck problem is not cervical disc bulging that turns into a chronic symptomatic condition, or worse yet, a rupture requiring surgery sometime in the future.

I believe that KJa's problems was less related to regression than to his injuries ...

Much appreciated, kinda lol. I do feel a bit better though for my sanity and with the hope that he can return to form next year since unless the neck is an issue he doesn't have much structural damage.

Okie - I guess you're a 9 guy then.

Fair enough - but to further enhance my score, Clowney has already recovered nicely from one microfracture and, do all endoscopys result in them?
When you perform knee arthroscopies with a short recovery, you are inevitably talking about removing knee cartilage/meniscus/fibrous tissue from the knee joint............tissues removed from the joint surfaces will always contribute to the degeneration of the knee to some extent........knee damage in sports tends to be a cumulative phenomenon. And remember, if a microfracture surgery player can return to play, studies show that the "new" pseudocartilage begins its major degeneration 18 months following the surgery. This upcoming season will be another major test for Clowney. We'll have to see how he does.

When you perform knee arthroscopies with a short recovery, you are inevitably talking about removing knee cartilage/meniscus/fibrous tissue from the knee joint............tissues removed from the joint surfaces will always contribute to the degeneration of the knee to some extent........knee damage in sports tends to be a cumulative phenomenon. And remember, if a microfracture surgery player can return to play, studies show that the "new" pseudocartilage begins its major degeneration 18 months following the surgery. This upcoming season will be another major test for Clowney. We'll have to see how he does.
Interesting. Looks like more surgery after next season too then.

Splitting 100%, how worried are you about Clowney's surgeries (all of them) compared to Watt's? I'm 60% Clowney, 40% Watt. I believe Watt will have more longevity in the league than Clowney. But maybe not much longer. We've talked a lot on this board about getting a franchise QB before the Texans waste through the highly productive careers of those two, especially Watt. I think the Texans already did that.

Splitting 100%, how worried are you about Clowney's surgeries (all of them) compared to Watt's? I'm 60% Clowney, 40% Watt. I believe Watt will have more longevity in the league than Clowney. But maybe not much longer. We've talked a lot on this board about getting a franchise QB before the Texans waste through the highly productive careers of those two, especially Watt. I think the Texans already did that.

I accidentally posted a reply to your post in the Texans DE J.J. Watt undergoes back surgery (out for season 9/27) thread.

Braxton Miller was placed on IR after sustaining a right shoulder injury that supposedly resulted in "no structural damage." As it turns out, he has sustained an A-C shoulder separation of the same shoulder that he underwent labrum surgery in the past. As no surgery is anticipated and he is expected to be ready for the offseason, he has probably suffered a Grade II separation.

Watt, D Brown, Clowney, Cushing, KJackson and J Joseph concern me. IMO due to injury we should immediately begin to look for replacements. All hopefully will be in 2018 at a reasonable level if not their historical role.

Watt, D Brown, Clowney, Cushing, KJackson and J Joseph concern me. IMO due to injury we should immediately begin to look for replacements. All hopefully will be in 2018 at a reasonable level if not their historical role.
Agreed. We should be looking to backfill Joseph's, Cushing's, and Duane Brown's positions just due to age.

I would like to draft two tackles, one to immediately start at RT and another to groom. Must be selective as a LT cannot always adjust quickly to RT. I think Bolles should train only for left tackle as he only played there last season in FBS. A season (at least) behind Brown would be very good for him. Selecting a RT day two to start is feasible with Skipper playing LT in 2014 all 13 games, then 13 in 2015 at RT before anchoring LT in 2016. He should have fewer struggles at right in 2017. He went against considerable opponents at Arkansas.

Cushing recovering from shoulder "clean up" surgery. I hadn't seen anything on this before.

Surgery Not Considered Serious

Monday, Jan. 30

Cushing described the surgery from two weeks ago as a "clean up," per McClain, who also noted Cushing didn't require surgery for the broken bones he suffered in his lower back but rather required "some rest and rehabilitation."

Injuries were a consistent theme for Cushing throughout the season, who missed two gamesafter he suffered a torn MCL during Week 1 against the Chicago Bears.

Originally, he was expected to miss six weeks, as the MCL didn't require surgery, but he returned in Week 4 against the Tennessee Titans.

Cushing recovering from shoulder "clean up" surgery. I hadn't seen anything on this before.

Surgery Not Considered Serious

Monday, Jan. 30

Cushing described the surgery from two weeks ago as a "clean up," per McClain, who also noted Cushing didn't require surgery for the broken bones he suffered in his lower back but rather required "some rest and rehabilitation."

Injuries were a consistent theme for Cushing throughout the season, who missed two gamesafter he suffered a torn MCL during Week 1 against the Chicago Bears.

Originally, he was expected to miss six weeks, as the MCL didn't require surgery, but he returned in Week 4 against the Tennessee Titans.
On its surface, a "cleanup" may sound benign. However, probably most fans don't know that Cushing missed more than half of his USC 2005 season after suffering a shoulder dislocation while attempting a tackle. He opted for rehab rather than surgery, which would have led to missing the entire season. However, he missed spring camp in 2006 following giving in to an arthroscopic shoulder procedure. Now I can't help but feel that this recent cleanup is a continuum result of labral/fibrous tissue shoulder joint damage, and that he now again opts for a lesser approach/procedure (one that does not address instability in the joint that is responsible for the progressive damage to the joint) in attempt to avoid losing another NFL season or significant part of the season. This surgery heralds yet another red flag for Cushing being able to tackle securely (specifically when the offensive player does not approach him head on......a problem we are already been seeing since he has such compromised lateral mobility) and staying on the field.

Last edited:
On its surface, a "cleanup" may sound benign. However, probably most fans don't know that Cushing missed more than half of his USC 2005 season after suffering a shoulder dislocation while attempting a tackle. He opted for rehab rather than surgery, which would have led to missing the entire season. Now I can't help but feel that the cleanup is a continuum result of labral/fibrous tissue shoulder joint damage, and that he now again opts for a lesser approach/procedure (one that does not address instability in the joint that is responsible for the progressive damage to the joint) in attempt to avoid losing another NFL season or significant part of the season. This surgery heralds yet another red flag for Cushing being able to tackle securely (specifically when the offensive player does not approach him head on......a problem we are already been seeing since he has such compromised lateral mobility) and staying on the field.
I've liked Cush but it's time for him to become an assistant LB coach, hopefully for the Texans.

I've liked Cush but it's time for him to become an assistant LB coach, hopefully for the Texans.
I'm thinking the same thing but I would guess that Brian would give it another spin if he could land for the vet minimum with a real contender after the Texans release
him this off season.

I'm thinking the same thing but I would guess that Brian would give it another spin if he could land for the vet minimum with a real contender after the Texans release
him this off season.
I seriously doubt Cush will play for the vet minimum unless it's in NE and BB can judge players. I don't see that happening.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000781642/article/leveon-bell-still-determining-need-for-groin-surgery?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bteam%3Dpit%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bdvsn%3Dacn%3Bplyr%3Dleveon_bell&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp?client=safari

Doc, what's the long term prognosis for Leveon? I know soft tissue injuries and running backs aren't what you want to hear. What do you think is the issue and the difference between "aggressive rehab" and surgery. I am having flashbacks to Arian. I know this isn't a Texans question but I appreciate Doc's reports.

Bell's injury has been only characterized as a "groin injury."Watching him trying to play through his last game, it appeared that he could not find holes that were wide open for him........a classic observation for an elite RB that no doubt can see the hole, but that has lost his burst and his ability to cut. My feeling is that the next thing you hear is that he is scheduled for "sports hernia" surgery. His prognosis following such repair is still guarded, as a contralateral "sports hernia" in the future is not uncommon, and associated hip pathology is usually already present.

Although they had more mileage than Bell, the career of Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch all but came to an end after sports hernia surgery.

Nick Martin Back On His Feet Preparing for the Houston Texans 2017 Season
9:23 AM

Houston Texans Nick Martin is back to getting ready for the 2017 season after missing his rookie season with an ankle injury.

The expectations for second-round draft pick Nick Martin were high and he was the penciled in as the starter at center after being selected out of Notre Dame in the 2016 NFL Draft. Martin was working at the center position from the start with the first team in OTAs and heading into training camp, but all of that came to a halt when he was rolled up by a running back during joint practices against the New Orleans Saints in camp.

While engaged in a block, the running back fell on the back of Martin’s leg which immediately sent Martin to the turf and he was quickly taken in for evaluation. This unfortunate turn of events landed Martin on the injured reserve, requiring surgery to repair his injured ankle.

“It was a lot of mental game,” Martin said after realizing his rookie season would not take place. “After surgery, you can’t do a lot of physical stuff and focus on the mental game and get better where you can and control what you can control.”

With Martin out, he had to take a different approach to the game. While not only rehabbing from his surgery, Martin had to keep himself plugged in learning game plans, techniques, and what to look for in opposing defenses so he could understand the Texans offensive scheme better.

Martin discussed what he had to do as the season unfolded. “Really the whole offense in general, I am new to this system. Try to learn everything. From he defensive side from front to blitzes. Obviously from our side too with protections, run schemes, all of it.”

With being fully cleared to participate in football activities heading into the offseason, Martin is ready to get on the field and work his craft.

“Try to get better and work mentally on the game,” Martin said of the work he needs do this offseason. “Took a lot of mental reps this season that was the focus and now get out there and work fundamentals.”

“I am feeling good,” Martin said.

When asked if he would be a full go for OTAs, Martin replied: “That’s the plan.”

**************************************************************************************************

I'm still concerned about any residual back damage/weakness injury problems that actually contributed to his being in a position to get rolled up on by his RB. Just prior to the high ankle injury, he had missed a week of practice and the first preseason game due to a back injury. He appeared to have been returned to play prematurely, as it was obvious that uncharacteristically he could not hold the point and was pushed back into the RB.

'When asked if he would be a full go for OTAs, Martin replied: “That’s the plan.”'. His response does not have a real gung ho ring to it but hopefully he will be ready to go and
I'll be curious to see if they put him at guard and let Manz remain at center or if it's vice versa ?

'When asked if he would be a full go for OTAs, Martin replied: “That’s the plan.”'. His response does not have a real gung ho ring to it but hopefully he will be ready to go and
I'll be curious to see if they put him at guard and let Manz remain at center or if it's vice versa ?
Either Martin or Mancz at RG should be an improvement over what we saw last season.

Either Martin or Mancz at RG should be an improvement over what we saw last season.
Not if his back issue is not totally resolved. If all has gone well after his high ankle surgery, recovery to full strength should take no longer than 6 months (Aug 25 was his surgery date, already 5 months 1week ago, and almost 8 1/2 months to OTAs) .............and there should be no hesitancy to proclaim that he will be a full go for OTAs. As I've said before, I am more concerned about the long term status of his back issue............something that could definitely lead to hesitancy in marking a specific return.

Last edited:
Doc, what was Martin's back injury characterized as initially? You now have me worried considering they waited until July to operate on JJ last season.... hopefully they have learned something from the handling off JJ but I am not confident.

Doc, what was Martin's back injury characterized as initially? You now have me worried considering they waited until July to operate on JJ last season.... hopefully they have learned something from the handling off JJ but I am not confident.
The Texans were careful to gloss over giving any details of Martin's back injury, especially since it was overshadowed by his ankle surgery which occurred almost immediately upon his return to play. In that game, he played "weak" without push, a sign that would be consistent with severe back muscle strain............or lumbar disc herniation. The history of the Texans' approach to handling of so many previous player injuries have made me very guarded in taking in the official injury company line.

Cloak,
I read this thread quite a bit, and its always interesting to get your point of view on things that may be coming, injury wise, in the future for a player who is dealing with an injury at present.
I am concerned about Kevin Johnson. his injuries have been piling up over the last two years. His frame fits the position, but was wondering if these injuries he has sustained are a red flag for health in the future. And, do the injuries has had have any lingering effect on his performance level moving on??

I just never seem to see to much on him. Thanks for any info.

The 2 types of injuries that he has had to deal with were his Jones fractures and his wrist fracture. I have since confirmed that the wrist fracture as I suspected was a scaphoid fracture. The latter injury, as it was surgically repaired should not be a future concern other than possible residual chronic pain. As far as the Jones fractures, a 2nd refracture or non-union, although not impossible, should be extremely unlikely. The 2 posts below basically cover my impressions of the implications of his injuries.

From Jan 19, 2016:

Although his injury was reported as a fractured hand, specifically it was a left wrist bone fracture. And the most common wrist bone fractured in football is the scaphoid (sometimes referred to as the navicular) bone............the same fractured bone that Cushing played with the end of 2014 and went on to undergo as one of his surgeries after the season was completed.
that I wrote re. Cushing's injury should act as a good review for you.

For those interested, this post and some posts following it that I wrote re. Cushing's injury should act as a good review for you.

From Jan 3 2017:

Apparently, Kevin Johnson recently underwent foot surgery. Up until then, the medical staff was putting him through a rehab program to encourage the fracture to heal conservatively. It didn't heal and the Jones fracture of the same foot that he initially sustained the Jones fracture during his rookie season and subsequently underwent surgery for, also required surgery. The delay in surgery is a little curious, as most Jones re-fractures do not heal primarily and, and especially in an elite athlete, require additional surgery (replacement of the repair screw with a larger screw). Unless he again fractures the foot, he would be expected to be ready for the offseason workouts.

Injured Texans tackle Derek Newton 'doing great'
By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle
February 22, 2017

The long road back for Texans offensive tackle Derek Newton remains an ongoing process after suffering a horrific injury last season against the Denver Broncos.

Newton has been making steady progress after tearing the patellar tendons in both legs when he awkwardly bent backward and fell to the ground while trying to block Pro Bowl outside linebacker Von Miller. Newton somehow avoided tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, but underwent a pair of lengthy, open surgeries.

This injury has prevented NFL players who've suffered this injury before, including former Chicago Bears wide receiver Wendell Davis and former Cleveland Browns cornerback Gary Baxter, from resuming their careers.

It remains unclear if Newton will be able to play this upcoming season or when he'll be able to return, but he has been diligently rehabbing and is upbeat about his situation, according to Texans veteran offensive tackle Duane Brown.

"Derek's doing great," said Brown, who made it back last season from a torn quadriceps tendon. "He's in great spirits. Very unique injury, something you don't see very often in this league. He's doing everything he can to get back as quickly as possible. He's got a long road ahead of him.

"I'm just doing all I can to keep him confident in his return and give him my story what I went through last year and doing what I can. He has a great mindset going into it. I know he's a hard worker, so I know he'll be okay."
Newton has been around the Texans' training facility and attended meetings during the playoffs after being placed on injured reserve.

"It was a tough injury," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said days after an AFC divisional-round playoff loss to the New England Patriots. "He's a great guy. I don't think anybody has any idea as far as his timetable, but I know this: We'll do a good job of taking care of him. We care about Derek. I think all of us at some point in time have been in touch with him and I know he's working hard to get back."
********************************************************************************************************************

As all of us, I wish Newton the best............but to headline that "he's doing great" could be just a little misleading.............he may be realistically doing great towards getting back to walking normal to the water cooler again.........not so much to getting his football career back on track.

As all of us, I wish Newton the best............but to headline that "he's doing great" could be just a little misleading.............he may be realistically doing great towards getting back to walking normal to the water cooler again.........not so much to getting his football career back on track.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought we were hoping that after surgeries Newton would be able to function in his daily life now that football was long gone. The idea that he has a chance to return to football ... are people that ignorant or did I miss something?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought we were hoping that after surgeries Newton would be able to function in his daily life now that football was long gone. The idea that he has a chance to return to football ... are people that ignorant or did I miss something?

You can never rule out a miracle, but short of that, the Texans must be ignorant of the reality of this injury..............or as I posted in the Salary Cap Thread...........are using their encouraging statements as an injury settlement negotiating tactic:

The Texans, though , may not escape additional salary cap adds. If Newton is placed on IR, he will be paid............if they try to waive injured him, they will need to pay an injury settlement which is based on how long it will take him to heal and return play...........which could be never..........and nevertheless potentially very expensive.

The potential for injury settlement negotiations could very well explain why the team is putting out so much regarding him doing "great".......with the unrealistic possibility of returning later this year

Hey Dagger.. I'm lazy, and don't want to search for what I'm sure you've covered somewhere in this thread but how's our boy JJ and when shall he be ready?

Hey Dagger.. I'm lazy, and don't want to search for what I'm sure you've covered somewhere in this thread but how's our boy JJ and when shall he be ready?
He should have been "ready" 6 months from his last surgery. The Texans reluctance to commit him to a time table tells me that they are concerned about what will happen after decent period of full contact (which will not be tested until the regular season). Even under the best scenario, he is unlikely to be able to perform at the same level as he was known for pre injuries. Rehabbing and waiting for truly testing his core a full year following his last surgery is still unlikely to lessen concerns.

This previous interchange pretty well sums up my feelings on Watt:

So realistically Doc, if JJ goes "balls out," like he used to play, how long do you think he has to play before he has another break? Also, if he did play with his "foot off the gas," so to speak, is it likely he would be able to avoid injury to his back and extent his career any longer, or is it all just a matter of he could injure it at anytime regardless of how hard he plays?

Again, I can't and won't even attempt to predict what all the different scenarios exist for the extent of his career path...........or those things he can do to try to preserve his health............or those things he can do to try to avoid injury. Those of you who have ever had a significant structural low back problem (which Watt certainly qualifies for after 2 microdiscectomies, not to even mention his other core problems) know that it doesn't take brutal football contact or contortionist moves to touch off a major debilitating event..................a simple gentle bend, a simple exit from a bed, a simple jar going down stairs, a sneeze...........and sometimes, a WTF happened, I don't even know what I did to end up crippled again. All I can tell you is that especially in a tall massive player like Watt, whether he plays DE or OLB, each down he plays will be its own little crap shoot.

Hey Doc is there any information you can share about D'onta Foreman's foot stress fracture discovered at the Combine medicals?

Hey Doc is there any information you can share about D'onta Foreman's foot stress fracture discovered at the Combine medicals?
This is most likely a Jones fracture. They will try to treat it with conservative rehab alone. It would not surprise me that it is just a matter of time that you see him go through what Edelman, Dez, Sammy and KJo have gone through.

This is most likely a Jones fracture. They will try to treat it with conservative rehab alone. It would not surprise me that it is just a matter of time that you see him go through what Edelman, Dez, Sammy and KJo have gone through.

4-5th rd pick

Sad because this guy has the talent to be great.

I would love it if we could get him in the 4th

You would have to accept a KJo type beginning to his career.

I would be more than willing to wait for a guy like Foreman if I could get him in the 4th. You can bet Ricky McNair wont be willing to wait though.

You would have to accept a KJo type beginning to his career.

I would be more than willing to wait for a guy like Foreman if I could get him in the 4th. You can bet Ricky McNair wont be willing to wait though.

Pretty sure the Texans medical staff will give him a clean bill of health and Rick will consider it a steal in the 3rd much less the 4th!

I'm hopeful Texans will stay away from players with history injuries; it's bad enough when our roster guys get hurt.
I would be hopeful of that except for the fact that they never have. A list of college injuries that reaches across the river and into the trees seems to attract them like a magnet. Don't expect that to change.

I was approached to comment on one of our division rival's QB.........Andrew Luck.

I don't see Andrew Luck's prognosis regrding his shoulder problem(s) as rosey as most sources including the Colts FO and some media sports doctors are reporting. He has been reported as having had arthroscopic surgery to debride (remove) frayed portions of his shoulder labrum. This condition usually reflects a ongoing degenerative process in an overhead athlete such as a QB, although it can be caused by direct trauma in other athletes. In Luck's case, there is no doubt that although most of the pathology has been created through the repeated microtrauma of the motions involving passing the football, he has probably sustained additional direct trauma to the shoulder when driven to the ground on numerous occssions over his career. These type of lesions, referred to as SLAP (Superior Labrum Anterior and Posterior) tears more commonly than not are associated with any number of other significant conditions such as rotator cuff tendinopathy/tears, biceps tendinopathy/tears, labral capsular deformities, and bone deformities.

After a simple debridement (and I would not be surprised if additional surgery was performed at the time), Luck would invariably still be left with a scenario of progressive degeneration of the shoulder. A very high percentage of athletes can be expected to return to play. and a lesser percentage returning to previous performance. However, return to previous performance in an overhead athlete can be expected to be markedly less. When it comes to any degrees of shoulder labrum injuries, even though numerous reports of athletes with pre-injury level of overhead throwing abilities after surgical treatment point to their effectiveness, many reports criticize that some of the known supposedly beneficial prognostic factors for a successful surgical outcome are over-rated or over-estimated. The jury no doubt remains out as to what we can realistically expect to see from Luck this season and subsequent seasons.

Last edited:
So Savage is "injury prone" is he?

It's only fair then to take a good look at Watson. Watson pulled a Romo when in April prior to the 2014 season, when he broke his collarbone. Luckily, he didn't miss any official games due to when it happened. But he did go on to miss 3 games in the 2014 season after fracturing his right hand which required 4 screws to reconstruct. Shortly after his return from this injury, he sustained a sprained LCL and bone bruise of his left knee............and then about another week later he sustained a sprained MCL. The latter 2 left knee injuries cost Watson the majority of another 2 games. Just 1 week later when he returned to play, Watson suffered a partial tear of his right ACL during a late November 2014 practice. He played through the injury the next game and aggravated the injury. Watson was then shut down and had surgery to repair the ACL injury to his plant knee in December (as a partial ACL tear in an elite athlete requires the same surgical attention as a complete rupture). Again, he was "fortunate" that the injury occurred at the very end of the season when it did not reflect a loss of a large part or an entire season which would have been the case had it occurred earlier.

Last year in November, he was driven to the ground and landed on his right shoulder. It occurred in the 2nd quarter of the game and he didn't return. It was reported as a "bruised" shoulder," but he actually sustained a grade I A-C shoulder separation. The next game, you could tell that his shoulder was bothering him as he played extremely erratically in that loss.

So there you have it.........after only a shortened 3 year college career........and that's even before he steps onto any NFL field. Some fans have been quick to label Savage as "injury prone." Then, how would you refer to Watson.................a QB waiting for a stretcher?

D'Onta Foreman was held out of the Combine activities with what was discovered during medical exam as a "slight stress fracture of the foot." Although he was not aware of it, it nonetheless makes it a worrisome injury. The name "stress fracture" in itself seems like a minor fracture, although they can carry some of the same risks as a complete fracture.....and certainly can extend to one quickly in the future. Jones fractures can temporarily hold up through relatively short period of playing on them, but will invariably require surgery. In an elite athlete, non surgical treatment is seldom ever pursued......especially when it comes to a large powerful RB who pushes off hard every play. I doubt that I have to bring up the plight of other elite NFL players which were blessed the likes of this injury.............i.e., Dez Bryant, Julian Edelman, Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Lawrence, Marvin Jones.............

D'Onta Foreman was held out of the Combine activities with what was discovered during medical exam as a "slight stress fracture of the foot." Although he was not aware of it, it nonetheless makes it a worrisome injury. The name "stress fracture" in itself seems like a minor fracture, although they can carry some of the same risks as a complete fracture.....and certainly can extend to one quickly in the future. Jones fractures can temporarily hold up through relatively short period of playing on them, but will invariably require surgery. In an elite athlete, non surgical treatment is seldom ever pursued......especially when it comes to a large powerful RB who pushes off hard every play. I doubt that I have to bring up the plight of other elite NFL players which were blessed the likes of this injury.............i.e., Dez Bryant, Julian Edelman, Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Lawrence, Marvin Jones.............
After proper treatment - as in not 'playing through it' - didn't most of these guys return to form??

I was going to ask you about this, once I heard the news. Another miscalculation by the Texan's "medical" staff.

After proper treatment - as in not 'playing through it' - didn't most of these guys return to form??
Pretty much so............except as not uncommonly occurs, they required 2 widely staggered operations and significant loss of playing time to get to that point........just like our very own Kevin Johnson. The first surgery requires the placement of a screw, the second usually requires the placement of a larger screw with bone grafting to stabilize the fracture site. Each of these surgeries require an 8-12 week rehab. In the case of a 300+ pounder, the post surgical course becomes less predictable, as does the long term effect on performance/career.

Last edited:
Back