Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

If we HAD to spend big money on one of these free agents: Asomugha or Haynesworth?

JBZ

I will take the best CB in the league over a 75% DR any day of the week.

I like DR but ASO is the better CB even if DR was 100%.

ASO is a major upgrade in talent & if we can upgrade we should do it.

I believe in taking care of our own first but not @ the expense of getting the best CB in the league.

If you believe that, then you're totally missing the value of D-Ta to this team. Dunta Robinson is not only the heart and soul of the defense - I believe he is the heart and soul of the entire team. No one wants to win more on gameday than D-Rob. He's a leader. You can't put a price tag on leadership. And sure, Nnamdi is a great player. But don't discount how good D-Rob is now. I think you're pushing it a little saying that you would take Nnamdi over D-Rob at 100%. Before the injury last year, Dunta was in the discussion as being the best CB in the league. He damn sure was playing like it. D-Rob has the heart of a champion. I'll take him any day over Nnamdi. I may be the only one that will, but that's aight with me.

Speaking as a Titans fan, this is a no brainer. Look at the difference a great DT makes to a team. Seymour on NE, Jenkins @ NY, and Haynesworth is better than both of them.

I watched SF blow ridiculous $ on Nate Clements and PHI do the same on Asante Samuel, and has either club gotten better?

The best teams right now are strong in the trenches, and you would instantly become a very scary team to gameplan against with Haynesoworth in the middle and Williams getting no doubleteams.

That said, I suspect Fisher will force Bud to open up his wallet. He can't afford to lose him.

The Texans should at LEAST give the illusion of having a lot of interest, if for no other reason than to force a division opponent to overpay... then just hope he goes back to being better than average like he was before these two contract years.

The Texans should at LEAST give the illusion of having a lot of interest, if for no other reason than to force a division opponent to overpay... then just hope he goes back to being better than average like he was before these two contract years.

Jim Washburn should get a purple heart for turning Al into such a dominant factor. The guy was lazy and excuse-ridden almost since being drafted, then Washburn lit his ass up two years ago and got him to finally realize his potential.

Are you guys kidding me? Who on this board wouldn't be jumping for joy if we somehow landed Fat Al in free agency this year? I mean come on.....Fat Al and Super Mario on the same line?

Not gonna happen...but man that would immediately make us a major force to be reckoned with....like him or not...Fat Al is the best DT I have seen in a very long time.

If you believe that, then you're totally missing the value of D-Ta to this team. Dunta Robinson is not only the heart and soul of the defense - I believe he is the heart and soul of the entire team. No one wants to win more on gameday than D-Rob. He's a leader. You can't put a price tag on leadership. And sure, Nnamdi is a great player. But don't discount how good D-Rob is now. I think you're pushing it a little saying that you would take Nnamdi over D-Rob at 100%. Before the injury last year, Dunta was in the discussion as being the best CB in the league. He damn sure was playing like it. D-Rob has the heart of a champion. I'll take him any day over Nnamdi. I may be the only one that will, but that's aight with me.

Whose to say ASO couldn't be a leader.

Any scout will tell you ASO is better than DR but if you think DR leadership qualities make him the best CB in the league lets just say we will have to agree to disagree.

I would not even feel slightly bad if the Texans decided to break the bank on Nnamdi Asomugha. I would give a 2nd round draft pick and a nice contract for this guy.

Haynesworth returning to the tits doesn't scare me. I like Haynesworth on the Titans. A big dumb ass playing for a big dumb ass. Perfect

I have to agree with this. Haynesworth is kinda the catalyst to the rivalry. He gives it a WWE feel. When you are watching his interviews and him talking smack you are hoping that Schaub is running up behind him with a steel chair and wacks him on the head with it. And then our OLine comes in and starts to stomp on him while he lays and the ground.

Are you guys kidding me? Who on this board wouldn't be jumping for joy if we somehow landed Fat Al in free agency this year? I mean come on.....Fat Al and Super Mario on the same line?

Not gonna happen...but man that would immediately make us a major force to be reckoned with....like him or not...Fat Al is the best DT I have seen in a very long time.

Not I. We'd be a force until he's suspended or hurt.

I wouldn't.
List me among those who do not wish to see our team stoop to hiring thugs just to win. Leave that to the Cowboys....
Granted he's one of the best at what he does but you can't tell me there aren't others out there who would be and upgrade over T.J. and Amobi....
Here's a list of DTs coming up this off-season per Scouts.com

Pos Rank Name Type Yr Ht/Wt Team
DT
1 Albert Haynesworth UFA 7 6-5/320 Titans
DT 2 Rocky Bernard UFA 7 6-3/290 Seattle
DT 3 Jovan Haye UFA 4 6-2/295 Tampa Bay
DT 4 John Thornton UFA 10 6-3/297 Cincinnati
DT 5 Tank Johnson UFA 5 6-3/300 Dallas
DT 6 La'Roi Glover UFA 13 6-2/285 St. Louis
DT 7 Larry Tripplett UFA 7 6-2/293 Seattle
DT 8 Kedric Golston RFA 3 6-4/292 Washington
DT 9 Shaun Cody UFA 4 6-3/290 Detroit
DT10 Darwin Walker UFA 9 6-3/294 Carolina
DT11 Mike Wright UFA 4 6-4/295 New England
DT12 Colin Cole UFA 4 6-2/325 Green Bay
DT13 Grady Jackson UFA 12 6-2/345 Atlanta
DT14 Gabe Watson UFA 3 6-4/340 Arizona
DT15 Ryan Sims UFA 7 6-4/315 Tampa Bay
DT16 Kenderick Allen UFA 5 6-5/330 Minnesota
DT17 James Reed UFA 8 6-0/286 New Orleans
DT18 Jimmy Kennedy UFA 5 6-4/320 Jacksonville
DT19 Jeff Zgonina UFA 6 6-2/290 Houston
DT20 Fred Evans RFA 3 6-4/305 Minnesota
DT21 Chris Cooper UFA 7 6-5/285 Seattle

And, again, I'm not sure he wouldn't go back to his former lazy self after getting the big payday. Plus, like 2nd Honeymoon said, he may be damaged goods after last Sunday

Albert Haynesworth's Pro-Bowl selection eliminates the possibility that the Titans could use the franchise tag on him again. Unless the Titans are able to sign him before the free agent market opens, he's gonna be a UFA.

Albert Haynesworth's Pro-Bowl selection eliminates the possibility that the Titans could use the franchise tag on him again. Unless the Titans are able to sign him before the free agent market opens, he's gonna be a UFA.

Maybe Detroit will sign him
:)

Speaking as a Titans fan, this is a no brainer. Look at the difference a great DT makes to a team. Seymour on NE, Jenkins @ NY, and Haynesworth is better than both of them.

I watched SF blow ridiculous $ on Nate Clements and PHI do the same on Asante Samuel, and has either club gotten better?

The best teams right now are strong in the trenches, and you would instantly become a very scary team to gameplan against with Haynesoworth in the middle and Williams getting no doubleteams.

That said, I suspect Fisher will force Bud to open up his wallet. He can't afford to lose him.

I agree. IMO, games are won and lost in the trenches. I know it's an old cliche, but it's true. You have to build from the inside out.

I agree with SmithGM and Kubiak's philosophy of building through the draft and maybe grabbing a FA or two that might improve depth. Other than a C/G our Oline is set. So I'd like to see us spend a couple of picks on the Dline to strengthen the rotation. A 1st or second round DE and a second day DT.

I agree. IMO, games are won and lost in the trenches. I know it's an old cliche, but it's true. You have to build from the inside out.

I agree with SmithGM and Kubiak's philosophy of building through the draft and maybe grabbing a FA or two that might improve depth. Other than a C/G our Oline is set. So I'd like to see us spend a couple of picks on the Dline to strengthen the rotation. A 1st or second round DE and a second day DT.

Furthering this, look at the rotations used by the Giants and Titans. The Giants lost two pro bowlers, one to retirement, one to a torn ACL, but were OK due to depth of 6/7 guys capable of coming and playing a productive 25/30 snaps - led by Justin Tuck of course. No one will accuse the Giants of having great cornerbacks/LBs, it's all masked by a good front 4 and their depth.

Same for the Titans. I know their secondary gets a lot of praise and I'm happy to have to Pro Bowlers, but it's a hell of a lot easier on them when the opposing QB has less time to go to a 2nd or 3rd read. And again, its the depth. Vickerson, Ball, Tony Brown, Jacob Ford, William Hayes. All guys drafted late or undrafted free agents that no one has heard of, yet they are able to step in for KVB and AH in a pinch.

I doubt they can stand up for an entire game like they will have to on Sunday or the following week, but they augment the star players just enough that assuming both KVB and AH are back for the divisional round, the team doesn't need the LBs or CBs/DBs to be perfect. It also means less requirements to blitz, which create havoc if the opposing team picks it up and has single coverage somewhere.

big al hands down over nnamdi. best DT hands down, and we get rid of that waste of space travis johnson.

i would learn to love him (already love his game) even after all the crap he talks about schaub and us... its understandable, we are a division rival after all.

Furthering this, look at the rotations used by the Giants and Titans. The Giants lost two pro bowlers, one to retirement, one to a torn ACL, but were OK due to depth of 6/7 guys capable of coming and playing a productive 25/30 snaps - led by Justin Tuck of course. No one will accuse the Giants of having great cornerbacks/LBs, it's all masked by a good front 4 and their depth.

Same for the Titans. I know their secondary gets a lot of praise and I'm happy to have to Pro Bowlers, but it's a hell of a lot easier on them when the opposing QB has less time to go to a 2nd or 3rd read. And again, its the depth. Vickerson, Ball, Tony Brown, Jacob Ford, William Hayes. All guys drafted late or undrafted free agents that no one has heard of, yet they are able to step in for KVB and AH in a pinch.

I doubt they can stand up for an entire game like they will have to on Sunday or the following week, but they augment the star players just enough that assuming both KVB and AH are back for the divisional round, the team doesn't need the LBs or CBs/DBs to be perfect. It also means less requirements to blitz, which create havoc if the opposing team picks it up and has single coverage somewhere.

QFT!

I truly think the Texans are trying to do the same along the Dline. It's quite obvious with the 3 1st rounders, but 2 of them have yet to show 1st round talent. Whether it's poor scouting, coaching or just need more time to develope......I dunno, but we need to get'r fixed.

I dont know if it would work, but I would love to get a utility oline guy who is a road grader for the redzone/short yardage. Not a starter, but a backup g/c to come in and plow people.

exactly. make Bud pay a king's ransom to keep him. they have loads of cap space, but i am not as sure as some that Bud won't let Haynesworth leave Tennessee. I could see it happening. No doubt.

I kinda liked Tank Johnsons body of work when he got to dallas. True he got his spot taken but thats not b/c he did anything wrong. That Ratliff guy is playing lights out for him.

Tank reminds me a lot of amobi, quick interior lineman that can rush the passer.

Of COURSE this is if we dont get Haynesworth :d:

Whose to say ASO couldn't be a leader.

Any scout will tell you ASO is better than DR but if you think DR leadership qualities make him the best CB in the league lets just say we will have to agree to disagree.

Really? Look, I know that as fans it's easy for us to get caught up in big name players, especially when they are about to become free agents. But just compare numbers on Dunta and Nnamdi this year:

Nnamdi: 37 Tackles, 1 FF, 9 Passes Defended, 1 Int

Dunta: 31 Tackles, 4 Passes Defended, 2 Int

And Dunta hasn't even played all season like Nnamdi. And before you go to the nobody throws at Nnamdi card, remember that the Texans have Petey Reeves starting across from Dunta. Hardly anyone throws at Dunta either. Plus, the x-factor in this whole discussion is that we as Texans fans know what we are going to get from Dunta when he gets the money. The previous history of big name free agent CBs getting huge deals and not producing the same is well noted. Bottom line is that before Dunta was injured last year at Oakland, he was playing as good or better than any other CB in the league. One more offseason, and he'll be all the way back to his normal self. Pay him instead.

We'll see if Nnamdi can shut down AJ. Coaches will definitely get a good look at him on film and gameday.

You must like gambling

I stand by my above statements.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Is there any defensive player that you would trade DR for?

I think DR is a good DB not a great DB & that was before he got hurt.

He was an average cover guy & a great hitter. Now he is below a average cover guy (IMO) that we hope that he can regain his skills. Thats not a chance that I am wiiling to take if I have the chance to get the guy scouts say is the best CB in the league.

Repectfully

Steel B

You must like gambling

I stand by my above statements.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Is there any defensive player that you would trade DR for?

I think DR is a good DB not a great DB & that was before he got hurt.

He was an average cover guy & a great hitter. Now he is below a average cover guy (IMO) that we hope that he can regain his skills. Thats not a chance that I am wiiling to take if I have the chance to get the guy scouts say is the best CB in the league.

Repectfully

Steel B

Wow! I respect your opinion, but to call D-Rob below average or average in any category is pushing it. And exactly what makes Nnamdi that much better than Dunta? They're putting up similar production and that's after the injury. And yes, Dunta was playing at an elite level before the injury. He's still trying to regain all of his form back which he will during the offseason. And no, there is not another CB I would trade Dunta for. Another defensive player? Well, yes if it's the right deal. But it's so hard to find good CBs in this league. That's why so many have been getting overpaid. Nate Clements, Drayton Florence, Asante Samuel just to name a few. We'll see just how good Nnamdi is this Sunday against Dre.

Really? Look, I know that as fans it's easy for us to get caught up in big name players, especially when they are about to become free agents. But just compare numbers on Dunta and Nnamdi this year:

Stop. Just stop right there. If you think that stats are going to help you in this argument you're not really assessing how good of a player Asomogha is. He doesn't get thrown on hardly at all. QB's gameplan to just not throw to him because he is what is known as a "shutdown" corner. I want to say that QB's have an average of less than a 30% completion rate against Aso. He's sick. He's big. He's fast. If nobody is throwing on him, he's not going to be able to amass a huge amount of stats because he rarely gets the opportunity.

Look, it may sound like a lot of hype, and maybe he wouldn't do nearly as well in the Texans system, but the guy is absolutely fantastic in Oakland. It's not like Oakland DB's have a long history of being terrible (They're not, almost all of the great corners that you've ever heard of came from Oakland). Aso would upgrade this secondary quite a bit.

Now, you say that Dunta hardly gets thrown on, but we both know that that's baloney. QB's are trying to pick at him because they know he's a step slow, and he's had a few long completions done on him as well as some penalties.

Now I'm not for signing Aso because he's going to cost more money than I would want to see the Texans pay for his services. But trying to sell the guy short because he plays in oakland and doesn't accrue the numbers because he is rarely tested anymore is disingenuous. It's been a long time since there was a corner that was as talented as Aso running along the football fields.

And Andre Johnson has said on NUMEROUS occasions that Aso is his toughest match-up. He's faced him once a year for the last 3 years, so I'll trust him.

It just amazes me as Texans fans who've had the opportunity to watch D-Rob play over these past few years that we're now downgrading the guy just because some big name, hot free agent like Nnamdi is available. I remember how everybody in the city was clamoring for Nate Clements the same way. Look at what he's done in San Fran. What if Antonio Cromartie had been a free agent after last year? Look at what he's done this year. For my dollar, the best CB in the league is still a healthy Champ Bailey. Nnamdi is up there too, but so is D-Rob. The guy has been the ultimate soldier for the Texans. He's always brought his "A" game and is the ultimate competitor. And yeah, D-Rob may be a little bit slower right now because of the injury. But give him another offseason and he'll be back to the same ol D-Rob of old. It amazes me that he's even playing right now. That was a serious injury that he came back from. And that's more of a testament to his character. D-Rob has the heart of a lion. Nnamdi is a good player, but damn, the Texans already have a player just as good at that same position.

All you need to know about Aso: 8 receptions allowed in 14 games.

I like D-Rob alot, and I hope the Texans keep him. When healthy, he's at the top of the third tier of CBs in the NFL, with guys like Sheppard and Mathis. Aso is in a tier by himself though.

I don't think anybody is downgrading Robinson. I didn't think Clements or Samuels were the best corners in the league when they came out, they were just the best available in FA. I would think that this guy is probably the best in the league, and I would've said the same last year. It's not that Robinson is terrible, he's just not on the same level as Aso, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Aso has the height, weight, speed, and ball instincts advantage over Robinson. Robinson is a much more punishing tackler, but he doesn't have the physical gifts that Aso has. But really, for a comparison, it's like saying that John Henderson is not as good of a DT as Albert Haynesworth for whatever reason. Nobody is going to think Henderson is instantly terrible because he's not Haynesworth, but nobody would mistake one for the other on the field either.

I already said that I don't want Aso because he's going to want a truckload of money, but, he would be an instant upgrade and probably would make our secondary one of the strengths of the team (Because we'd have 2 competent players back there as opposed to the 1 we currently have in the different levels of defense).

All you need to know about Aso: 8 receptions allowed in 14 games.

I like D-Rob alot, and I hope the Texans keep him. When healthy, he's at the top of the third tier of CBs in the NFL, with guys like Sheppard and Mathis. Aso is in a tier by himself though.

Well, teams run on them like an old toilet... Plus, half the time, a team is icing the game away by the 3rd quarter. Yes he's good. But when a team like Oakland is that bad, you simply don't mess around with challenging a good player like that- there's just no need.

I, frankly, don't want Haynesworth. Having said that, if we spend big money on someone, I want them to fill a position of weakness: C, DT, speed rusher, Safety. I'm acually very happy with our stable of corners. I think a better pass rush will really bare that out next year.

No he is not just as good right now.

How can you be sure he will get back to what he was?

I know he has a great work ethic but I dont know of a CB that has fully come back from an injury like his.

Are you saying if push comes to shove you would be willing to pay top dollar to DR in FA to keep him if another team offered him big money? Even though he may never be 100% healthy again.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have him in a Texans uni either. Problem is, Demeco is about set to re-up. So is D-Rob. I'd love to have Nnamdi and D-Rob starting at CB for the Texans, but they can't pay both guys like #1 CBs. Smith overpayed for Petey Reeves, but he's done better lately. I'd much rather have Suggs than any other free agent out there. And I think D-Rob is going to have a lot of you choking on crow by this time next year.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have him in a Texans uni either. Problem is, Demeco is about set to re-up. So is D-Rob. I'd love to have Nnamdi and D-Rob starting at CB for the Texans, but they can't pay both guys like #1 CBs. Smith overpayed for Petey Reeves, but he's done better lately. I'd much rather have Suggs than any other free agent out there.

From what I heard on the radio both Demeco and OD are going to re-up in the next month or so.

And really I don't know about Suggs either. I want to stay away from 3-4 OLB's like the plague because of the differences in systems. I think Peppers would be a much better fit here because he plays 4-3 DE, but he is also going to get offered a lot of money, which makes me wary.

Well, teams run on them like an old toilet... Plus, half the time, a team is icing the game away by the 3rd quarter. Yes he's good. But when a team like Oakland is that bad, you simply don't mess around with challenging a good player like that- there's just no need.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Teams have still attempted more than 400 passes against Oakland. 8 of them landed in his man's hands.

From what I heard on the radio both Demeco and OD are going to re-up in the next month or so.

And really I don't know about Suggs either. I want to stay away from 3-4 OLB's like the plague because of the differences in systems. I think Peppers would be a much better fit here because he plays 4-3 DE, but he is also going to get offered a lot of money, which makes me wary.

Yeah, I heard that too. I like Suggs because he is versatile. He's got the size to play 4-3 DE. He's the same size as Osi Umenyiora. Plus his versatility and athleticism would open the defense up. Peppers would be the dream free agent, but he's going to be as expensive as Nnamdi.

I hope you are right.

I would love for DR to make the pro-bowl & eating crow will be a pleasure.

I hope I'm wrong.

Nmandi is the best corner in the league, hands down. Haynesworth is the best lineman in thee league. When I listen to him , its going to be hard to gett him from titans. Nmandi is free and can't be franchisedd by raiders. Another guy is Suggs. Can't be franchised by the ravens and will get u 10-12 sacks a yr.

Nmandi is the best corner in the league, hands down. Haynesworth is the best lineman in thee league. When I listen to him , its going to be hard to gett him from titans. Nmandi is free and can't be franchisedd by raiders. Another guy is Suggs. Can't be franchised by the ravens and will get u 10-12 sacks a yr.

Why can't Suggs and Asomugha be franchised?

Why can't Suggs and Asomugha be franchised?

Both got franchised this year by their teams. I don't know quite how franchise tags work, but I don't think that the Ravens or Raiders can franchise them again next year. I believe that franchise tags can only be for one year.

Both got franchised this year by their teams. I don't know quite how franchise tags work, but I don't think that the Ravens or Raiders can franchise them again next year. I believe that franchise tags can only be for one year.

The limit on franchising a player is three times - unless there's an agreement to the contrary. That's why Haynesworth negotiated the incentives which when reached prohibit the Titans from franchising him a second time.

The limit on franchising a player is three times - unless there's an agreement to the contrary. That's why Haynesworth negotiated the incentives which when reached prohibit the Titans from franchising him a second time.

I don't think either player will be franchised this year though. Nnamdi will get at least $10-11 million next year if he is, and Fat Al will probably get similar numbers. Most players only get franchised once before they sign their deals.

I don't think either player will be franchised this year though. Nnamdi will get at least $10-11 million next year if he is, and Fat Al will probably get similar numbers. Most players only get franchised once before they sign their deals.

I'm not saying they will either - I'm only questioning the statement that said they can't be. I don't believe it's correct, or if it is, I don't understand why.

I'm not saying they will either - I'm only questioning the statement that said they can't be. I don't believe it's correct, or if it is, I don't understand why.

All 3 signed franchise tags with exceptions that if they made the pro bowl, they couldn't get franchised again. I think carolina will have a hard time with peppers also. If they franchise him, he's guaranteed to make 110% of his salary which puts him at 17m. That's why if they franchis him, he'll sign that quick. If they use it again next yr, you're looking at 25m. When top draft picks get franchised, its a huge,huge payday.

Those that think suggs is only a 3-4 guy haven't been watching. He's really a 4-3 de. Their defense morphs some, but he mostly lines up and rushes the passer from the re. Mario has stated he feels better at le. If u put T-Sizzle opposite of mario, ur talking about 4 man pressure without blitzing. That gives u 7 in coverage. Cochran coming back next yr will also help. He's 25 or so and can fulfill a 6 yr deal. He and nmandi are probably the safe pickups. All 3 would push houston defense into the top 10, but the giants and steelers have shown u don't need high paid "lockdown" corners to be a very good defense. The pressure from the front four can solve a lot of db woes. When Chris McCallister gets cut, the Texans should sign him and play him at safety next to wilson. Similar to what Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson did to finish their careers. He's a good enough tackler and would allow u to stay base in a 3 or Y-flex packages. His range and ball hawking along with wilson would make this defense incredible.

I think Hanesworth has hit his incentives so the Titans cannot fanchise him this year.

While he has played very well last year and this year, he has been playing for the $$$. Once he has it, will he revert back to being lazy and just ok like a lot of other players? A team pays them big money then they seem to disappear again.

Would rather pay big money on someone who has been good all the time, not just good during a contract year.

All 3 signed franchise tags with exceptions that if they made the pro bowl, they couldn't get franchised again. I think carolina will have a hard time with peppers also. If they franchise him, he's guaranteed to make 110% of his salary which puts him at 17m. That's why if they franchis him, he'll sign that quick. If they use it again next yr, you're looking at 25m. When top draft picks get franchised, its a huge,huge payday.

I haven't read or heard anything about a Pro-bowl exemption for Suggs or Asomugha. In fact, the SF Chronicle was reporting after the Pro-bowl selections on Tuesday that Asomugha may still be franchised.

The Raiders placed the exclusive franchise tag on Asomugha last season, giving him a $9.765 million contract. The Raiders could try to sign Asomugha to a long-term deal after the season or choose to use the franchise tag again, which would guarantee him about $11.7 million in 2009.

SF Chronicle Article

Also, I know where the $17 Million comes from for Peppers, but how are you getting to $25 Million for 2010?

got to be Haynesworth, he is so disruptive and would be a great fit for the Texans. His power next to Okoye's speed would be deadly, and it would free up Mario as well.

Back