Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If Watson leaves, why keep Kelly?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Seriously what’s the point. if he leaves that means were drafting a QB. Is Kelly really the guy You would entrust our rookie QB to? It just doesn't make sense so I guess we might as well except it.
Watson said he wants Kelly to stay. Texans trying to make that happen. If Watson doesn’t stay, Tim Kelly might not. But we won’t know until Watson is gone.

Maverick

Failure is not an option
If Easterby likes Kelly, I'm sure he stays. Faith Family................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................football.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Kelly is in place to swade Watson. Hamilton is the hedge bet.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Now he’s a diva? Hahaha Organization shows its rear end again but Watson’s the diva now?

I wouldn’t risk another lung for an organization that lies to me either.
He can be both. An outstanding young QB/man and a diva. If I was a young rich QB looking to build my brand in a better market I'd propably be a diva too.

This org on the other hand just sucks all the way around.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Seriously what’s the point. if he leaves that means were drafting a QB. Is Kelly really the guy You would entrust our rookie QB to? It just doesn't make sense so I guess we might as well except it.
He is the Patriots Offense. It's what these Patriot people know. It's what these Patriot people do.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This organization guaranteed him over $110 million just a few months ago. Why sign the contract if he's not going to bother honoring it?

He wants to have his cake and eat it, too.

Dude is a great QB. 2nd best this city has ever seen. But, now he's acting like like a little ***** by doing a 180° just months after getting his money.

Easterby and Cal were here when he signed the contract.

DIVA: "a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please"

p.s. Texans suck, too.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I love how easy it is for everyone to blame Watson for the continued run of poor decisions by the organization. Whatever makes you sleep better at night I guess.
There’s been poor decisions made on both sides and noone’s blaming Watson for anything except for his own decisions to resign with a team that had “cluster&@$€” written on the locker room doors.

Going further no one should feel sorry for him either for those exact reasons.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Now he’s a diva? Hahaha Organization shows its rear end again but Watson’s the diva now?

I wouldn’t risk another lung for an organization that lies to me either.
There was no lie

The lie is that DW4 wasn't given input. He was and maybe he's not bright enough to understand the difference between input and decision maker.

I'm beginning to think many on this MB dont understand the difference either.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
There was no lie

The lie is that DW4 wasn't given input. He was and maybe he's not bright enough to understand the difference between input and decision maker.

I'm beginning to think many on this MB dont understand the difference either.
Unless Cal told him that Easterby wasn’t going to be around or that he would himself release Easterby or that Easterby wouldn’t be involved with football decisions is the only way he was lied to.

But I doubt those things were ever told to him.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I have this sinking feeling that if Watson is traded that JJ will be traded also.
I thought JJ was gone even without all the Watson drama. $17M off the books. Of course that turns into just $12M net savings if Watson is traded but that’s still $12M. I think JJ has played his last down in a Texans uniform.

If Watson is gone why pay Tunsil while we at it
Funny how they gave up all they did to bring him here, paid him what they did, and the reason they did all of that may be out the door. Can’t make this **** up.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
So let me get this straight...

We b*tch and moan for the past 18 years about how the Front Office doesn't know how to put together a winning football team.

We finally have a leader of the team, put his foot down to the Front Office, and tells them they have to change things around here or else he's out.

But now, we tell him he has to be a good soldier and just go along with the plan the Front Office has?

If you're not happy with how the FO has been running this team, you should be happy the most influential player on the team is finally standing up to them.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

We b*tch and moan for the past 18 years about how the Front Office doesn't know how to put together a winning football team.

We finally have a leader of the team, put his foot down to the Front Office, and tells them they have to change things around here or else he's out.

But now, we tell him he has to be a good soldier and just go along with the plan the Front Office has?

If you're not happy with how the FO has been running this team, you should be happy the most influential player on the team is finally standing up to them.
I’m not happy with it sucking for us. This is a league where a top tier QB matters for the most part. Sure, there’s guys like Goff and Garropolo making it to SBs on occasion, but the perennial contenders are usually those with the top QBs. We have the fortune to finally get one of those and it’s getting screwed up to high hell.

On the one hand, I don’t blame Watson for wanting out because of the ineptitude of the FO. But on the other hand, if he leaves, that sucks for my football team. So in that selfish way, yeah, shut up and play and cash your ginormous checks.

However it plays out, the fans get screwed, as usual. We get a top QB but the FO is what it is and likely squanders his entire time here. Or we lose a QB, and still have this FO.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Usually teams screw it up until the stars align. GM, HC, & QB. We got our QB & things were set up to get our GM & HC.

Teams win with the same clueless owners because of those three.

We're finally getting those people in place & it's falling apart before it even gets started. Which means ownership will continue to meddle.

Weeeeeeee

Earl34

Hall of Fame
This organization guaranteed him over $110 million just a few months ago. Why sign the contract if he's not going to bother honoring it?

He wants to have his cake and eat it, too.

Dude is a great QB. 2nd best this city has ever seen. But, now he's acting like like a little ***** by doing a 180° just months after getting his money.

Easterby and Cal were here when he signed the contract.

DIVA: "a self-important person who is temperamental and difficult to please"

p.s. Texans suck, too.
Every time I read comments regarding Watson signing a contract and now complaining or whining, I wonder did time stand still after he signed the contract? Could it simply be Watson AND his teammates thought they had an opportunity to reset the organization. Bring in fresh blood, new eyes and once Easterby's BFF was hired, it was a signal that Cal didn't have a problem with the way things were and it would be more of the same?

Hell, when Watson signed the contract, was Rootes thinking about leaving the organization? What changed for Rootes? How did Palcic changed? I just don't get the using the signing of the contract as a benchmark when internal conditions around the team "appears" to have changed.

Last edited:

LikeMike

Veteran
Perhaps because they believe in him? We had the most passing yards and overall our offense did well - just with the problem, that our running game was abysmal. I don't necessaryily agree with this assesment, since I believe a lot of our success was Watson, and we also failed to scheme receivers open, but I don't hate the idea of keeping Kelly.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

They did change things, they hired someone who, on paper at least, is one of the most qualified GMs out there. They let him conduct the interviews and pick his HC, something they haven't done before, and they have replaced almost all of the assistant coaches except for Kelly who they kept to try and make that leader you talk about happy. Finally that leader isn't being a leader at all, he got his money and before the ink was even dry he started throwing a fit. He didn't say they have to change things or he's out all he said was he's out while making these cryptic tweets and not taking phone calls like this is some high school drama. He's not standing up to them he's taking his ball and going home.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Every time I read comments regarding Watson signing a contract and now complaining or whining, I wonder did time stand still after he signed the contract? Could it simply be Watson AND his teammates thought they had an opportunity to reset the organization. Bring in fresh blood, new eyes and once Easterby's BFF was hired, it was a signal that Cal didn't have a problem with the way things were and it would be more of the same?

Hell, when Watson signed the contract, was Rootes thinking about leaving the organization? What changed for Rootes? How did Palcic changed? I just don't get the using the signing of the contract as a benchmark when conditions around the team changed.
Because those things are above his pay grade, it shouldn't matter to him who the GM is, it shouldn't matter what Rootes does or what the PR person does. If we were talking HC or OC then he might have an argument but whining because you didn't get the GM you wanted? When Watson signed that contract OB was the GM and HC, Easterby was sitting right next to Cal and Hopkins had been traded. There was no sign at all anything would be "reset" or any "new blood" would be brought in and he still signed on the dotted line. Even around here we figured OB would be around at least through his contract in 2022.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I thought JJ was gone even without all the Watson drama. $17M off the books. Of course that turns into just $12M net savings if Watson is traded but that’s still $12M. I think JJ has played his last down in a Texans uniform.

Funny how they gave up all they did to bring him here, paid him what they did, and the reason they did all of that may be out the door. Can’t make this **** up.
Yep, DW4 screwed them both ways.

Cap/Picks in the Tunsil trade. This is why you have to be very careful when you pick your QB of the future. It's about more than just talent. It's about when times get tough will the QB you drafted cut and run.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

LOL. I wish this was the only part of this equation.

This is a case of the owner making the mistake of putting a player on the search committee and his agents reputation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Perhaps because they believe in him? We had the most passing yards and overall our offense did well - just with the problem, that our running game was abysmal. I don't necessaryily agree with this assesment, since I believe a lot of our success was Watson, and we also failed to scheme receivers open, but I don't hate the idea of keeping Kelly.
But with DW4 as a 1 man team you really dont ned to hire coaches. Except for EB and maybe Avery.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Because those things are above his pay grade, it shouldn't matter to him who the GM is, it shouldn't matter what Rootes does or what the PR person does. If we were talking HC or OC then he might have an argument but whining because you didn't get the GM you wanted? When Watson signed that contract OB was the GM and HC, Easterby was sitting right next to Cal and Hopkins had been traded. There was no sign at all anything would be "reset" or any "new blood" would be brought in and he still signed on the dotted line. Even around here we figured OB would be around at least through his contract in 2022.
Look, we are not getting anywhere with this. Who said he should be concerned with what Rootes or the PR person is doing? My point is things changed for them too and I'm saying the benchmark is not when he signed the contract, but after BOB was fired and what went on during that power vacuum.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Look, we are not getting anywhere with this. Who said he should be concerned with what Rootes or the PR person is doing? My point is things changed for them too and I'm saying the benchmark is not when he signed the contract, but after BOB was fired and what went on during that power vacuum.
I do get your point but my point is things were not rainbows and unicorns when he signed the deal. He could have said "Nah I'm going to wait and play out my 5th year and see where the team is going at that point." but he didn't he wanted to get paid and I don't blame him but now that he's signed it he's throwing a fit because things weren't fixed like he thought they should be. There are lots of great players on bad teams through the years and what they all had in common is no one held a gun to their head and forced them to sign on with that bad team after their rookie deal was done. Yet Watson, who isn't even on the new deal yet, wants to be given the Harden treatment and have the team bow to his every whim just to pack his bags and move out.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I’m not happy with it sucking for us. This is a league where a top tier QB matters for the most part. Sure, there’s guys like Goff and Garropolo making it to SBs on occasion, but the perennial contenders are usually those with the top QBs. We have the fortune to finally get one of those and it’s getting screwed up to high hell.

On the one hand, I don’t blame Watson for wanting out because of the ineptitude of the FO. But on the other hand, if he leaves, that sucks for my football team. So in that selfish way, yeah, shut up and play and cash your ginormous checks.

However it plays out, the fans get screwed, as usual. We get a top QB but the FO is what it is and likely squanders his entire time here. Or we lose a QB, and still have this FO.
Exactly. The optimist in me tells me that this will be a wake up call for the FO. Hopefully they'll realize they need to look in the mirror and change how they do business.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There are lots of great players on bad teams through the years and what they all had in common is no one held a gun to their head and forced them to sign on with that bad team after their rookie deal was done. Yet Watson, who isn't even on the new deal yet, wants to be given the Harden treatment and have the team bow to his every whim just to pack his bags and move out.
To me, this speaks to the CBA & the worthless position the players association is.

Everything here was agreed to & if I were the NFL I’d tell the Players association to fix it. & if Watson wants to believe he’s not a part of that association then we see the real problem.

Players are drafted & have little say in where they are going, then said player has few real opportunities for leaving bad destinations.

let’s say Watson didn’t sign his extension & got hurt in 2020... then what? Or if he gets hurt in 2021. The 5th year option is a good bit of money, but less than his 2020 signing bonus.

He stands to lose big.

Now same situation, what does the team risk? Nothing. Player is drafted, plays four years, then decides to move on, what do they lose?

But teams feel like they should be compensated. For what? They drafted said player, they paid said player, player performed. Nothing else is owed.

The players association need to fix that.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
They did change things, they hired someone who, on paper at least, is one of the most qualified GMs out there. They let him conduct the interviews and pick his HC, something they haven't done before, and they have replaced almost all of the assistant coaches except for Kelly who they kept to try and make that leader you talk about happy. Finally that leader isn't being a leader at all, he got his money and before the ink was even dry he started throwing a fit. He didn't say they have to change things or he's out all he said was he's out while making these cryptic tweets and not taking phone calls like this is some high school drama. He's not standing up to them he's taking his ball and going home.
That's what we're seeing. We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

What really concerns me are his teammates (and AJ) that is encouraging DW to stand his ground. This tells me this is an organizational problem, not something specific to just Watson. This tells me alot of the players see the issues going on w/ the Front Office and wants their leader to do something about it.

Before all of this, if the front office was doing a decent job w/ the team, I may have agreed with you. But in the past few seasons, they have destroyed this team while making odd move after odd move. If I'm giving benefit of the doubt to someone, it's on the side of DW.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Exactly. The optimist in me tells me that this will be a wake up call for the FO. Hopefully they'll realize they need to look in the mirror and change how they do business.
I’ve always used the Cleveland Browns as a benchmark for “how the Texans do business” because they were the last expansion team before the Texans & were formed under the same rules.

IMO the Texans does business better than the Browns. & in the last 10 years arguably as well or better than the previous expansion teams Jaguars & Panthers.

Roughly on par with Tennessee & Indy... in fact a lot like Indy.

There are ups & downs on every franchise. We appear to be going through a down period. But when we step back I’m sure the next decade will be better than half the league as it has been for the last decade.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
To me, this speaks to the CBA & the worthless position the players association is.

Everything here was agreed to & if I were the NFL I’d tell the Players association to fix it. & if Watson wants to believe he’s not a part of that association then we see the real problem.

Players are drafted & have little say in where they are going, then said player has few real opportunities for leaving bad destinations.

let’s say Watson didn’t sign his extension & got hurt in 2020... then what? Or if he gets hurt in 2021. The 5th year option is a good bit of money, but less than his 2020 signing bonus.

He stands to lose big.

Now same situation, what does the team risk? Nothing. Player is drafted, plays four years, then decides to move on, what do they lose?

But teams feel like they should be compensated. For what? They drafted said player, they paid said player, player performed. Nothing else is owed.

The players association need to fix that.
Don't agree with you on this point. Most teams don't just throw a rookie out onto the field and say "good luck" there is a lot of time and resources that go into that player from coaching to medical. Likewise if a player leaves then you have to remove them from whatever your plans were going forward, if its a RB not a huge deal, if its a QB thats a huge deal. Now all that being said the compensation usually comes in the form of comp picks from the NFL. Teams get something for their time and effort and the player can go about their business. I get it that its a huge risk for the player that they can get hurt at any time but that doesn't change the fact you signed the contract and got your money.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

What really concerns me are his teammates (and AJ) that is encouraging DW to stand his ground. This tells me this is an organizational problem, not something specific to just Watson. This tells me alot of the players see the issues going on w/ the Front Office and wants their leader to do something about it.

Before all of this, if the front office was doing a decent job w/ the team, I may have agreed with you. But in the past few seasons, they have destroyed this team while making odd move after odd move. If I'm giving benefit of the doubt to someone, it's on the side of DW.
Most of the people encouraging him have no skin in the game. Hopkins, Jackson, AJ they don't play for the Texans and whether Watson stays or goes doesn't affect them. I also don't get this "they have destroyed the team" the only "destroy the team" moves were trading Hopkins for peanuts and handing contracts to a couple of guys that didn't deserve them. Those were done in one season by one person and that person was fired soon after. Other than that the Texans haven't made any worst or better moves than most other teams.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I’ve always used the Cleveland Browns as a benchmark for “how the Texans do business” because they were the last expansion team before the Texans & were formed under the same rules.

IMO the Texans does business better than the Browns. & in the last 10 years arguably as well or better than the previous expansion teams Jaguars & Panthers.

Roughly on par with Tennessee & Indy... in fact a lot like Indy.

There are ups & downs on every franchise. We appear to be going through a down period. But when we step back I’m sure the next decade will be better than half the league as it has been for the last decade.
I'm more looking at the Cal McNair era. I think Bob McNair did a decent job, but the start of the Cal era looks suspect.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hopefully this finally happens, If trading DW4 makes them change the way they do business then it will have been well worth the headache.

I've been sayin what you posted since 2010.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Then DW4 must have known about these issues before he signed his contract and he signed it anyways. If he had a problem he didn't have to sign the contract. But nope he got paid and then he wanted to become part of the mgmt team. That's above his pay grade. Good riddance, clean the deck and start anew.