Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I'd like to share my NFL pool idea with you folks

Buckeye Homer

Rookie
Contributor's Club
Me and three friends are going to have our own little NFL pool and I thought you guys might like to do the same with your own friends and family.

We will have a draft and each of us will take turns picking NFL teams until all 32 teams have been picked, which means each of us will have 8 teams.

First we'll determine the picking order. We're using the Ohio lottery to determine who picks from the #1, #2, #3, and #4 slots. For instance, Scott has numbers 1-12, Pete has 13-24, Steve has 25-36, and I have 37-48.
Whosever number comes up first in this Saturday's Ohio Lottery will pick from the #1 slot. Whoever's number comes up next will pick from the #2 slot and so on and so forth.

Each round is inverted. So, whoever picks 1st in the first round will pick 4th in the second round. So let's say that the pick order is Scott, Pete, Steve, and me, Patrick. Here is how the first 2 rounds (and subsequent rounds) would look:

1 Scott
2 Pete
3 Steve
4 Patrick
5 Patrick
6 Steve
7 Pete
8 Scott

Makes sense?

Here is the point system.

Each win earns 1 point. Division champions receive a 5-point bonus. The two teams that receive a first-round bye in the playoffs will receive a 5-point bonus. All playoff wins, including the Super Bowl, are each worth 5 points.

Whoever has the most points wins the pool. We include a second-place winner as well. We're each kicking in $100. The Winner gets $100 each from the 3rd and 4th place finishers. Whoever finishes second keeps their $100. Third and fourth-place finishers will send their money to the winner after the pool is clinched.

I run a similar-style college football pool that has 10 participants, but in that pool everyone must send in their money before we even determine the pick-order. As you know, some guys are flakey.

By the way, if you put together a pool, be mindful that the new IRS laws stipulate certain reporting requirements for sending $600 or more so you might want to be creative in getting around that. :)

You take a rather convoluted way to say snake draft :D

Not interested in gambling myself, if that's your thing, enjoy and good luck

Back