Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ibar Harry Speaks

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
I didn't get to watch the game today. But boy am I glad. I have read through all of the comments and its really interesting.

If you recall we had a real discussion about the new blocking scheme and what was happening. I think the other teams have figured out what we are doing wrong and are taking advantage of it. Capers was sold a bill of goods and he bit hook line and sinker. Its too bad this ball club is looking the way it is, because we are a much better ball club.

The answer is we simply have a very, very poor coaching staff overall, particularly in light of the fact that their strength is suppose to be defense. The last two games have been total breakdowns. When a team plays this poorly with the talent we have, you really have to begin questioning what is going on. Is Davis the best back in the league, no! But I will say this, when the QB has the longest run for the season at 16 yards you have a problem. I don't think its all DD's fault. What has changed since last season? The answer is the blocking scheme...........

I suppose they are stuck with the scheme until the end of the season, but I would hope not. At least if they changed back, we would mess the other team up for a quarter or so. The confidence of this team has been destroyed. As a coach you have the responsibility of trying to put your team into a position to win. You are suppose to be able to keep your cool and judge what adjustments are necessary when things are going wrong. You see this coaching staff taking ridiculous chances when it doesn't count and being conservative when it counts.

I will simply go back to two weeks ago when it was 3rd and 1 on the 2. We throw an incomplete pass. I think that says it all and tells it all. When it comes to game management, this coaching staff has no clue. It has nothing to do with their character, but rather do they have what it takes to be a head coach. Unfortunately, I think the anser is that DC is a failure in this regard. He's a great assistant, but he is not head coaching material.
:soapbox: :soapbox:

Ibar_Harry said:
I will simply go back to two weeks ago when it was 3rd and 1 on the 2. We throw an incomplete pass. I think that says it all and tells it all.

Are you telling me you would have run in that situation?

With the same OL and RB's that Capers had to choose from?

If your answer is yes, you need to start watching some of the Texans games.

It still speaks volumes about how we view things. We have used David and Wells successfully in that area. Wells has done alright in short yardage situations in the red zone area. You also tell Mr Wiegert the hole is his responsibility. I would beat more than even money that it would be there. Actually a run is a safer play at that point for a lot of reasons. Its also a confidence builder. In this case when you don't run the ball you are telling your O-line and the other teams you face you have no running game and you don't trust it. Your also giving a very bad message to your team, because that was a point where they could have blown the whole thing open. In fact, even if your short after the 3rd by inches you might give it another go. If you make the 1st, you run and run until you get the 1 yard for the TD. Guess what? Even if you don't make it the clock is ticking and your defense is getting a rest. I know we could have fumbled and all that, but its what you have to do in that case. That is the place where you really play conservative until a penalty or a touchdown occurs. You all might disagree with me and that's fine, but I still say we have seen several calls that tell us that the problem may well be the coaches and not the players.

Take the play calling at the end of the 1st half in last week's game. They called three passes with under 2 minutes to go deep in their own territory after the other team has just scored a disheartening touchdown. The result was that they used about 10 seconds, had to kick the ball, and Denver turned around and scored to go up by another touchdown. Another total disaster and will breaker. Again, Again, and Again I will say we lack game management and this team will go nowhere with the coaches we have. These players are grown men, not boys. Two years ago when the TV was following the boys, I listened to what the head boys' coach(Campo) was saying, and said, he will be gone before the season is over. He doesn't know how to lead men. He doesn't know what he's doing. May be a very fine person, but he's not a leader. I'm sorry I'm really beginning to more than feel that about DOM. No question he is a very, very fine person, but he's not what you want as a head coach.

This is a quote from Carr at the end of the game. Carr, who was sacked five times, said the game was one of the more embarrassing he had ever played in.

“I know we’re as talented as talented as that team,” he said. “I know we can play with that team. I know we can beat that team. It’s unfortunate for the guys in the locker room that we didn’t go out and do it because we have the talent.”

Folks, what's he saying? You fill in the blanks. It's not hard.

Add that with Gary Walker's comment "we play soft, then we play strong...these guys need to just let us play", and I'd say guys are getting fed up.

Thanks for the comment. It's really beginning to show and its been there all along when you read between the lines. Even if you listen to the McLain comments you get the same drift. More than a few people are beginning to question what is going on with this coaching staff. I think a lot of players have given it their all, but they are being coached in a way that's dooming them to failure.

Back