Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

I lover Tate(R) salad.

they traded out of the second round when they could have taken gerhart or tate and gained a 3rd & 4th rounder i believe .... Then they traded the 3rd & a 5th for the right to select tate if my memory serves ..... So they actually came out ahead by trading back then up ...

Either way , tate made smith & kubiak look real good in the decision to take him .... If he hadnt been injured he may have been the lead back last season ....

yes

Ward averaged 6 ypc though. It's not his fault for not getting more carries, it was Kubes for never really giving him the ball. Foster had a tremendous amount of carries last year which is great, but a few more years of that....

But Kubes has not been around that long, and the ZBS is not something that is easily learned. It's taken a few years which is why I meant that now it looks to be paying off. The first few years with Dayne was alright, he was okay but nothing to get excited about and the ZBS was still being implemented and the line was still being tweaked. The 09 season with Chris Brown and Ryan Moats was the season where we got no production out of the RB position though. Now the line is pretty much solid. I can see us picking up another guard in the first 3 rounds or a swing tackle for reserve though.

Right now pretty much any guy that comes in the game produces. Derrick Ward is producing despite the small amount of carries he's been given.
Good debate but define "all right" with Dayne. He avg 4.0 & 4.1 his two years and never rushed for over 775 yards. Again not a Denver type 1,000 yard back. Enjoyed the debate but going to sleep now.

They traded out of the second round when they could have taken Gerhart or Tate and gained a 3rd & 4th rounder I believe .... Then they traded the 3rd & a 5th for the right to select Tate if my memory serves ..... So they actually came out ahead by trading back then up ...

Either way , Tate made Smith & Kubiak look real good in the decision to take him .... If he hadnt been injured he may have been the lead back last season ....
I think Tate will make me forget Toby who?

Ohhh, and I just remember this one goober freaking out after we passed on Gerhart for a trade down/Tate. Just going berserk everytime someone post something positive about Tate, especially if they post his highlights video(LOL!). Even going as far as keeping their stats in his signature as a comparison during the season.... and even taking it out his sign before the end of the season; when he realizes that Tate wasn't too far off from Gerhart production... while in his cast :vincepalm:

good times

**** happens. I may have been wrong, I may not be wrong. Who cares?

Also, I think you might want to check some facts. I said multiple times Tate was my second choice, I just preferred Gerhart. But hey, lets anoint Tate the second coming of Jesus after 9 carries. That sounds good.

As for the sig, I took it down in week 3 (I think) after another poster brought up the valid point that it was an unfair comparison, as Tate was hurt.

But anyway, back to the topic-

Glad to see the stats, I wish I could have watched the game. He has all the side/speed measurables that you want in a back, hopefully he and Foster can turn into a sick combo.

Also, I think you might want to check some facts. I said multiple times Tate was my second choice, I just preferred Gerhart. But hey, lets anoint Tate the second coming of Jesus after 9 carries. That sounds good.

As for the sig, I took it down in week 3 (I think) after another poster brought up the valid point that it was an unfair comparison, as Tate was hurt.

Glad to see the stats, I wish I could have watched the game. He has all the side/speed measurables that you want in a back, hopefully he and Foster can turn into a sick combo.
Hey 65! Glad I saw your post before going to sleep. How is Moscow? When you coming home? Let's see a BPA draft mock as it might just happen that way for first time ever. Don't allow them to get to you about Gerhart. He would have been a good pick.

Gerhart's a good player .... I really like him too. He's more of an in your face power back. I think with the right team (Pittsburgh or NE maybe) he is a stud ....
Agree that he is not a ZBS type back but I was hoping for an offensive change. Winston has often said he preferred a more push 'em back style. Myers is probably only starter that would do better in a ZBS.

I can vouch for that as you were part of that same discussion with Badboy and myself ....

Tate looked really good tonight. He was a load .... Took multiple defenders to take him down , constant forward motion .... and plenty of yards after contact.

The Aints run defense gave up a league high 5.5 ypc last season .... The Texans downright abused them tonight.

By the way , check out the front page of NFL.com .... Link

And a link to the story

Foster, Tate return to fold, punch out Saints D

They could just do what they did to AJ, Antonio, and Meco...give Mario and Arian huge signing bonuses so they don't count against the cap. I was very impressed with Tate though. He has such great vision and speed. He's like Arian almost.
ummm yeah.

Here's one of the responses to the game recap on NFL.com obviously from a Aints fan.

I am concern about the SAINTS DEFENSE they was getting torched,congrats to the texans(man they look good)

loving the guy so far. glad we didn't get the slow white rb lol...

i think slaton is gonna be the odd man out.

Foster #1, Derrick Ward #2a, Ben Tate #2b

Many may remember how disappointed I was with Texans not drafting Toby Gerhart. I was only slightly mollified when Texans traded back up for Ben Tate & thought they had mishandled the whole thing. Then last season, bam, Tate goes out for season and that only made me steam more. Well it isn't regular season but Ben Tate is looking like another Arian Foster. Big, Fast and catches the ball well. For those who might want a read on Tate's info before draft, see the following.
http://nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66552&draftyear=2010&genpos=RB

I remember your love for TG, I thought you might elope with him down to the montrose crowd. JK, no offense intended, just harassing you a little. :handshake: I knew then Tate would be great for our one cut and go style of running. Let's just hope he stays healthy and productive.

95 yards and a 43 yard TD run is great but I would not trade anyone just yet because running backs go down so easily in this league.

I can vouch for that as you were part of that same discussion with Badboy and myself ....

Tate looked really good tonight. He was a load .... Took multiple defenders to take him down , constant forward motion .... and plenty of yards after contact.

The Aints run defense gave up a league high 5.5 ypc last season .... The Texans downright abused them tonight.

By the way , check out the front page of NFL.com .... Link

And a link to the story

The Saints were bad against the run last year, but it is important to note that they attempted to address this issue by signing Aubrayo Franklin and Shaun Rogers. I saw that Rogers played last night. Did Franklin play as well? If he did, it seems that despite these additions the Texans were still able to run very well.

Franklin sprained an ankle in the 1st half.
He probably got juked by Foster or Tate. Those guys have some seriously good moves, vision and burst. Like we did last season, I have a feeling we're going to downright embarass some teams/players with the running game this year.:breakdance:

Agree that he is not a ZBS type back but I was hoping for an offensive change. Winston has often said he preferred a more push 'em back style. Myers is probably only starter that would do better in a ZBS.

We had the leagues leading rusher. Exactly how much better do you want to get then that? And why on earth would anyone consider changing a thing? Makes no sense.

We had the leagues leading rusher. Exactly how much better do you want to get then that? And why on earth would anyone consider changing a thing? Makes no sense.

I believe he was talking about his feelings during the offseason before last year, not this one.

So what if Slaton comes back next week and rips it up like Foster and Tate?

Do we keep 4 RB's or does he hit the auction block?

So what if Slaton comes back next week and rips it up like Foster and Tate?

Do we keep 4 RB's or does he hit the auction block?

I've been wondering about that myself.
If it were me, I'd let Ward go. He's very steady but doesn't have the breakaway speed the other guys do.

If you were a defensive coordinator, which of the four would worry you the least if they were isolated on your MLB?

I've been wondering about that myself.
If it were me, I'd let Ward go. He's very steady but doesn't have the breakaway speed the other guys do.

If you were a defensive coordinator, which of the four would worry you the least if they were isolated on your MLB?
Ward also doesn't have fumblitis like SS. I'm a bigger fan of Ward than I am SS.

If it was me, I'd try to deal Slaton.

If I couldn't deal him, I'd probably keep him. Just in case. And if/when someone goes down on another team, we'd be able to deal him then.

If it was me, I'd try to deal Slaton.

If I couldn't deal him, I'd probably keep him. Just in case. And if/when someone goes down on another team, we'd be able to deal him then.
What would you do with him if you kept him? I wouldn't trust him to hold on to the ball, he absolutely sux as a returner, he's too small to play ST coverage teams. Just a lot of negatives with him if he isn't a productive back. I would deal him and not be too picky about what I got in return.

What would you do with him if you kept him? I wouldn't trust him to hold on to the ball, he absolutely sux as a returner, he's too small to play ST coverage teams. Just a lot of negatives with him if he isn't a productive back. I would deal him and not be too picky about what I got in return.

He's the 4th back. He doesn't even get activated for the 46 on gameday.

You go with Foster, Tate, and Ward. If one of them gets injured, Slaton steps up and becomes the 3rd back.

I think the question is Could you deal him? There has to be someone willing to give something for him. The other teams may look at it just like they did Okoye. Just wait and let the Texans release him.

You go with Foster, Tate, and Ward. If one of them gets injured, Slaton steps up and becomes the 3rd back.
At $550,000 he's not breaking the bank, so that's not a bad idea at all.

I think the question is Could you deal him? There has to be someone willing to give something for him. The other teams may look at it just like they did Okoye. Just wait and let the Texans release him.
That's why I said I wouldn't be too picky about what I got in return. The Texans are horrible with these types of personnel decisions. By the time we try to trade them, it's more than obvious we'll just release them. I don't think we'll see Rick Smith in the WSOP any time soon.

^^^ This.

Why deal him for not much, or release him and get nothing. We have one back with proven durability/health issues. Keep Slaton, but make him inactive until/unless one of the others is on the shelf. Slaton is going to be far better than what you will find off the scrap heap.

Porky, keep in mind that draft was before Foster had established himself. He was coming off a rookie year as a UDFA who was injured early and got into Kubiak's dog house. He looked good in 3 of the last 4 games the season before. SLaton was proving not to be much of an option and RB was a "Dire Need" as stated by Gary. I prefer an Earl Campbell type rather than a Reggie Bush. Infantrycak and I used to go back and forth with him listing examples of small fast RBs who had success in NFL. My opinion is there can be an exception to most rules but more often than not a big, strong anything is better than a light, fast anything. This was my arguement during that same time span about our "light" DTs. To be fair, under previous D management, the Dline did slow the opponent's rushing attack (another Kubiak priority need).

I have said I am not a fan of the ZBS over my style of offense. I have also said the ZBS with right players can be successful. We seem to have finally accumulated a decent Oline, tight ends to compliment AJ and big, strong RBs who just happen to be pretty damn fast too.

Foster is the brisket that everyone loves, but most Texans like their "tater salad".

^^^ This.

Why deal him for not much, or release him and get nothing. We have one back with proven durability/health issues. Keep Slaton, but make him inactive until/unless one of the others is on the shelf. Slaton is going to be far better than what you will find off the scrap heap.

Tate had one freak ankle injury and hamstring issues like every RB had on the team this training camp. He wasn't injured in college, so I think Tate will be fine. Look what he did with almost no practice.

Porky, keep in mind that draft was before Foster had established himself. He was coming off a rookie year as a UDFA who was injured early and got into Kubiak's dog house. He looked good in 3 of the last 4 games the season before. SLaton was proving not to be much of an option and RB was a "Dire Need" as stated by Gary. I prefer an Earl Campbell type rather than a Reggie Bush. Infantrycak and I used to go back and forth with him listing examples of small fast RBs who had success in NFL. My opinion is there can be an exception to most rules but more often than not a big, strong anything is better than a light, fast anything. This was my arguement during that same time span about our "light" DTs. To be fair, under previous D management, the Dline did slow the opponent's rushing attack (another Kubiak priority need).

I have said I am not a fan of the ZBS over my style of offense. I have also said the ZBS with right players can be successful. We seem to have finally accumulated a decent Oline, tight ends to compliment AJ and big, strong RBs who just happen to be pretty damn fast too.

Foster is the brisket that everyone loves, but most Texans like their "tater salad".
Ya gotta have your tater salad to go with your brisket. Ain't a proper barbecue without it. Why would you need a change of pace back when you have 3 similar guys that can run the ball down your throat.

Ya gotta have your tater salad to go with your brisket. Ain't a proper barbecue without it. Why would you need a change of pace back when you have 3 similar guys that can run the ball down your throat.

Homemade potato salad is the best. None of this HEB premade crap.

:hides:

Hopefully, Wolf doesn't visit this thread.

Tate looked really great last night, fun game. I am so ready for the real games to begin.

You gotta love a RB who does a throw back dance of Billy "White Shoes" Johnson's Funky Chicken, who was the best endzone dancer ever, and knows when to switch the ball in his hands and get out of bounds to stop the clock when running a less than one minute offense.

You gotta love a RB who does a throw back dance of Billy "White Shoes" Johnson's Funky Chicken, who was the best endzone dancer ever, and knows when to switch the ball in his hands and get out of bounds to stop the clock when running a less than one minute offense.
I mentioned this before somewhere & not sure how many fans caught that. That is the maturity of a vet often not found in rookies.

I mentioned this before somewhere & not sure how many fans caught that. That is the maturity of a vet often not found in rookies.

As soon as I saw the two defenders in front I said to my dad "is he gonna hit em or go out?" When he went out we both looked at each other and said "and he runs smart".

As soon as I saw the two defenders in front I said to my dad "is he gonna hit em or go out?" When he went out we both looked at each other and said "and he runs smart".
That same moment I went uh oh, Earfl Campbell? Then he stepped out and I smiled big. :jogger:

Back