Thanks for your support!

How will Texans do in draft?

badboy

Hall of Fame
1 Great!
2 Better than I expect
3 Oh well
4 !#^€♧ they did it again!

I will probably refresh in May to see if any change minds.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I think (hope) that Nick is a better personnel evaluator than he is a head coaching evaluator. I know he has several misfires on personnel as well, but I actually believe he will do pretty well in this draft. Much of that optimism comes from the fact that Lovie Smith has enough experience, clout and respect that he can tell Nick he's wrong without fear of losing his job.
I think we will do great.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think (hope) that Nick is a better personnel evaluator than he is a head coaching evaluator. I know he has several misfires on personnel as well, but I actually believe he will do pretty well in this draft. Much of that optimism comes from the fact that Lovie Smith has enough experience, clout and respect that he can tell Nick he's wrong without fear of losing his job.
I think we will do great.
I think Carstereo will respect Lovie's experience enough to confide in him about many of these prospects - especially those on D.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
“I just don’t understand why our team (nevermind all the other teams) just passed on ____. Sure he was accused of rape and murder just 24 hours before the draft. Freaking Easterby and Calhouns only want choir boys!”
Sad thing is, he was drafted by the Chiefs in the 5th rd and will be an MVP candidate for the next decade.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Out of curiosity. For the posters who create mock drafts, read all the draft reviews and watch tape on college players. Over the years, what percentage of your mock drafts are correct? How often does the Texans picked the players you have them selecting?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I'm expecting 4
Hoping for 1

Because the glass is half full kinda guy. I am grateful to have a glass and half of it's full... but... thats why.

The reality will probably fall somewhere between 2 and 3.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I feel like they ought to go CB and Edge in the first.
I dont watch college ball, I see a lot of talk about Neal being a can’t miss prospect, but at 3 I expect him to start at LT day 1 and that means Tunsil is wasted, and also makes us a keen seller in any trade of Tunsil.

I’d prefer we add those pieces to the D, which would go a long long way to fixing that side of the ball.

I’ve also seen some trade scenarios where we trade back, still before 13, add a 2nd and a future 1st, and still have someone like Thibodeaux and Sauce fall to us. That would be a nice return!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Out of curiosity. For the posters who create mock drafts, read all the draft reviews and watch tape on college players. Over the years, what percentage of your mock drafts are correct? How often does the Texans picked the players you have them selecting?
Nobody ever gets the exact picks right at any respectable rate. What mocks do is give us an idea of about where players are expected to go. These are the guys that could be top 10, these guys 3rd rounders, and so on. And even that isn’t perfect.

Nobody knows what the Texans will do, but because of all the mocks we have an idea of the players that should be available to choose from.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Carr, Cushing, and Clowney. About 15%. Or anytime I pick a player whose last name begins with a "C".

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Carr, Cushing, and Clowney. About 15%. Or anytime I pick a player whose last name begins with a "C".
I got these correct. I wanted RS to trade back into the 1st for Matthews during the Cushing draft.

I also got the KJ pick right. It was pretty easy to guess the RS 1st rd picks. Look at position of need and RS was going to fill that need.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

I used to be very Hardcore on the draft especially during the Casserly Era. It wasn't uncommon for me to be somewhat familiar with every player selected halfway into the 6th round. It never mattered who I liked or what great talents fell to us though. We always found a way to muck it up.

I've only gotten a handful of picks selected by the Texans correct over the years. I (and a lot of others here) had a solid batting average on players we thought would be good that the Texans passed on. It's infuriating when those players turn out good. Some of the guys in the draft forum do even better and it's worth checking out.

Truth be told, I've been brow beat by our bad drafts so long I don't pay much attention anymore. I'll watch tape AFTER we select players.

My forecast is cloudy with a chance of rain.

At least being a draft nerd helped a lot with fantasy football...

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I got these correct. I wanted RS to trade back into the 1st for Matthews during the Cushing draft.

I also got the KJ pick right. It was pretty easy to guess the RS 1st rd picks. Look at position of need and RS was going to fill that need.
I had Aldon Smith in 2011. Cordarrelle Patterson in 2013. Terrell Suggs in 2003. Yeah, I would have been canned as GM more times than Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I had Aldon Smith in 2011. Cordarrelle Patterson in 2013. Terrell Suggs in 2003. Yeah, I would have been canned as GM more times than Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup.
As much as I dislike Campbell's noodle soup.... there are soups out there with flavors I NEVER want to try.
Screenshot_20220421-153229_My H-E-B.jpg

My draft pick choices would probably be worse than yours so.... I can't fault you.

My excuse is, drafting isn't my day job so... meh. Make it my job, Im sure I would do better.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
As much as I prefer Hamilton I would not be disappointed with a much needed Edge rusher, DT, WR or O lineman at #3. I've seen a mock where we got Hamilton at #13.

We have a looong shopping list. So many needs. I'm just glad we have the "where with all" to go shopping. :D

I don't put much stock (as in none) in anything gm's say pre-draft.

:coffee:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think there are three basic methods of creating a mock.
1. Post what other mocks have
2. Post what you think Texans will do
3. Post what you think Texans should do.

I have never done 1.
I tried 2 but found that frustrating.

I long ago went with 3 as much more satisfying as I can find players that I select, often before others recognize them and then watch those and others move up through the ranks and later do well in the NFL whether on the Texans or not.

I do not mock to have a correct percentage success. I mock as I like the research and review; discussion with others [most lol] here and elsewhere.

3 leads to very low success ratio.

badboy

Hall of Fame
There's too much waffling going on in here. I'm making a commitment & going with #1 GREAT!!!
At least the players in this draft and our draft picks for 2022 encourage that it could be number one.
After years of discouragement, hope that spikes then plunges; could we be on the precipice of a turn around?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I feel like they ought to go CB and Edge in the first.
I dont watch college ball, I see a lot of talk about Neal being a can’t miss prospect, but at 3 I expect him to start at LT day 1 and that means Tunsil is wasted, and also makes us a keen seller in any trade of Tunsil.

I’d prefer we add those pieces to the D, which would go a long long way to fixing that side of the ball.

I’ve also seen some trade scenarios where we trade back, still before 13, add a 2nd and a future 1st, and still have someone like Thibodeaux and Sauce fall to us. That would be a nice return!
So... 1,2,3 or 4?

badboy

Hall of Fame
As much as I prefer Hamilton I would not be disappointed with a much needed Edge rusher, DT, WR or O lineman at #3. I've seen a mock where we got Hamilton at #13.

We have a looong shopping list. So many needs. I'm just glad we have the "where with all" to go shopping. :D

I don't put much stock (as in none) in anything gm's say pre-draft.

I feel like Krogers trucks just left and all the shelves are full. All the things that I have not been able to get in years are right there in front of me. Not only that but for once I not only have my paycheck cash in hand but a bonus amount of buying power.

I want a ribeye but the quail entices. In the deli the barbecue ribs make nostrils twitch.

I am famished but just know that something will go wrong. As I walk to the checkout I'm excited but expect to be disappointed.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I feel like Krogers trucks just left and all the shelves are full. All the things that I have not been able to get in years are right there in front of me. Not only that but for once I not only have my paycheck cash in hand but a bonus amount of buying power.

I want a ribeye but the quail entices. In the deli the barbecue ribs make nostrils twitch.

I am famished but just know that something will go wrong. As I walk to the checkout I'm excited but expect to be disappointed.

It doesn't cost anymore to be optimistic. Quail, ribeyes and BBQ are all on the menu. :dance2:

Disappointing days are in the rear view mirror.:splits:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I think there are three basic methods of creating a mock.
1. Post what other mocks have
2. Post what you think Texans will do
3. Post what you think Texans should do.

I have never done 1.
I tried 2 but found that frustrating.

I long ago went with 3 as much more satisfying as I can find players that I select, often before others recognize them and then watch those and others move up through the ranks and later do well in the NFL whether on the Texans or not.

I do not mock to have a correct percentage success. I mock as I like the research and review; discussion with others [most lol] here and elsewhere.

3 leads to very low success ratio.
Thanks for this response and perspective. I can see the perspective of identifying the talent and seeing them flourish or fail in the NFL.

Right or wrong. I've been looking at it from the perspective that within minutes of the draft, these teams are making unexpected selections and after spending all that time, your mock draft is wrong.

I get your perspective. I'm still not interested in mocks and will continue reading scouting reports after the Texans make their choices, but I understand your perspective.

Dejaview

All Pro

That’s because only three of the registers are open. There is only one sacker. The lines are six people long with full carts largely of vegetables that the cashier can’t identify before she weighs them. Everyone ahead of you is paying with a check and don’t have adequate ID’s and have three kids each running around. Two don’t speak any Indo-European rooted language and the cashier with the purple hair and eyebrow and nose rings won’t quit gabbing. Then you hear thunder and lightening outside.

Yep, you messed up. You let the snickers bar at the checkout catch your eye at the last second and you blew the whole trip.

Way to go BadBoy. You ruined our draft........:)

badboy

Hall of Fame
That’s because only three of the registers are open. There is only one sacker. The lines are six people long with full carts largely of vegetables that the cashier can’t identify before she weighs them. Everyone ahead of you is paying with a check and don’t have adequate ID’s and have three kids each running around. Two don’t speak any Indo-European rooted language and the cashier with the purple hair and eyebrow and nose rings won’t quit gabbing. Then you hear thunder and lightening outside.
You shop at my Kroger? LOL!

banned1976

sleeper mode
When the Texans have the first overall pick in the draft, I've done really well. Outside of that, the only player I can remember them even obtaining, either through the draft or UDFA was Arian Foster. I had him going to the Texans in the 6th round but he went undrafted.

I stopped making mocks I'd say back in '17 or '18. Now all I do is the mock simulator.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
When the Texans have the first overall pick in the draft, I've done really well. Outside of that, the only player I can remember them even obtaining, either through the draft or UDFA was Arian Foster. I had him going to the Texans in the 6th round but he went undrafted.

I stopped making mocks I'd say back in '17 or '18. Now all I do is the mock simulator.
Yep I nailed it with David Carr & JDC, however the year that the Texans took Mario # floored me !

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
7 picks ought to get us 3 players.
I wouldn't be opposed to combining a 68 and 107 to move up into the 2nd if there was a guy available that I thought was a difference maker.

Same goes with #37, I would trade say #37 and #80 to move up to say #24 with Dallas and pick Kenyon Green.

A draft like this, would make me very happy.

Sauce
Davis or Jameson Williams
Green
Sam Williams
Ruckert