Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

how many people like Dre

hot pickle

Canada Eh
me, i love andre johnson, he will be one of the best in the next couple years, i know hes got a whole lot of people hatin on him, but he will learn to catch with his hands, it will come in time, he should have already got it, but its ok, never to late to learn

so just wonderin how many people got love for dre, and want him to be a texans forever?

p.s. i love the houston texans

I don't know why anyone would/should hate on AJ...he's our best player!!

Hopefully he sticks around long enough to be a part of a winning team, though.

the reason i made this thread, is cuz theres alot of hate about andre catchin with his body, and people wantin him to get traded

as an opposing fan i think he is skilled..........but i dont think he is tough enough..............that third down toss that he just laid down for AJones............i dont know..........that bothered me as a football fan...........and i dont think he gives it his all all the time..................

as an opposing fan i think he is skilled..........but i dont think he is tough enough..............that third down toss that he just laid down for AJones............i dont know..........that bothered me as a football fan...........and i dont think he gives it his all all the time..................

i think it kinda has to do with the teams losing mind mentality

but thats still not a good excuse i know, but you can't really blame him

the reason i made this thread, is cuz theres alot of hate about andre catchin with his body, and people wantin him to get traded

I think AJ is great.

But he used to catch the ball with his hands & I dont know why he changed his technique. Catching the ball with your body is a recipe for a lot of drops.

Two guys who do this now are Andre Johnson & Terrell Owens and I would bet that they are #1 & #2 in dropped passes this year.

I think Andre is a great receiver and I definitely would like him to stay with the team. The only thing I question about him is his heart and motivation. If he wants to play here and turn the Texans into a winning franchise, then I definitely say we keep him. But if he is just going to leave the second he gets the chance, then I say we strike while his stock is high.

I like him, but he doesn't seem to use his big strong body to shield defenders from the ball like Moulds does.

Also I don't view him as a very physical receiver, he hasn't broke the big one yet this year by running over CBs and doesn't seem to be making much YAC.

just my .02

The reason dre doesn't have the stats he should, IMO, is because every team we play knows his big play capabilities so they put him in all kinds of strange coverages. they know that as long as they've got dre locked, and daniels covered, we can not move the ball.

if the texans cut, trade, or simply let go of andre, i'll have a hard time supporting the team.

He sometimes reminds me of T.O. in how physically imposing he can be with small and average size CB's.

That said, he needs to stop the drops.

The reason dre doesn't have the stats he should, IMO, is because every team we play knows his big play capabilities so they put him in all kinds of strange coverages. they know that as long as they've got dre locked, and daniels covered, we can not move the ball.

if the texans cut, trade, or simply let go of andre, i'll have a hard time supporting the team.

I like him enough but no one needs to worry he is here as long as he wants to be. No team would cut Dre, that's absurd

AJ is a tremendous physical speciman with superior athletic skills who is underachieving, who's onfield production is short of expectations.
Last year was a throw away since he was injured much of the time, but his determination and aggresivenss this year is not what it was in his 2004 pro bowl season. I dunno what that's about ?
And his dropped balls are almost inexcusable given the critical game time conditions many of his miscues have occured. He is definitely not among the
elite NFL receivers, though he clearly is our best offensive player.

me, i love andre johnson, he will be one of the best in the next couple years, i know hes got a whole lot of people hatin on him, but he will learn to catch with his hands, it will come in time, he should have already got it, but its ok, never to late to learn

so just wonderin how many people got love for dre, and want him to be a texans forever?

I love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, it's never too late to learn how to catch the ball

Signed- Corey Bradford.

Now granted that was kind of harsh but Andre Johnson is what he is. He's going to drop some passes but he's also going to make some plays for you too. I can't help but think that if he wasn't catching everything within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage he'd be having a bigger impact and making more plays for us. That would offset his "negative side" which is the 1-3 dropped balls per game it seems like. Those are easier to swallow when he's doing some damage to the defense and scoring some points.

You notice the negative more these days because Andre is hobbled by this joke of an offense. We might as well have Corey and Jabbar at WR if we're going to play football like we do now. It's not like it would make any difference.
I for one hope this changes next season and we can see at least a reasonable facsimilie of a pro passing game.

Skill position players are at there peak the first 4 years in the league. When people talk about someone learning the position 3 years into it I gotta correct you. He could be gone tomorrow and I wouldn't care one way or the other. I would expect the dummies in the front office to get value.

Andre catches the ball alot with his body because that's where Carr puts it the majority of the time. One thing about Carr that I've been saying since we drafted him is that he needed to learn how to place the ball. Brett Farve was notorious for doing the same thing as Carr and they are very similar in the velocity of their balls, but Farve has learned to take some heat off and place the ball in the hands of the recievers when he needs to. AJ doesn't however strike fear into any defense because he not that physical and really doesn't win the battles too often. The Bills just rolled over him like he was 3rd rate receiver.

Andre catches the ball alot with his body because that's where Carr puts it the majority of the time. One thing about Carr that I've been saying since we drafted him is that he needed to learn how to place the ball. Brett Farve was notorious for doing the same thing as Carr and they are very similar in the velocity of their balls, but Farve has learned to take some heat off and place the ball in the hands of the recievers when he needs to. AJ doesn't however strike fear into any defense because he not that physical and really doesn't win the battles too often. The Bills just rolled over him like he was 3rd rate receiver.
Ted Marchabroda said that it is easy to defend Carr because he can't hit people in stride well. He noted that most of his passes were to guys on curls, zone sit down routes and when his receivers face up to him.

He's in year 4. He's out of time. Catch with your hands! And also, he needs to stop being out-fought for the ball by CB's. Hey, I have an 80 jersey, and he needs to get better. And where's this speed of his? I don't see him streaking for 60 yard TD's much.

He's in year 4. He's out of time. Catch with your hands! And also, he needs to stop being out-fought for the ball by CB's. Hey, I have an 80 jersey, and he needs to get better. And where's this speed of his? I don't see him streaking for 60 yard TD's much.
well, it's easy scheme out one wr when your QB is David Carr....every team in the league cheats to Andre and he takes tons of extra hits from linebackers underneath the coverage since Carr can't seem to hit the intermediate pass well. Andre's drops are magnified since he is our ONLY playmaker on offense. It just amazes me that a segment of our fans think highly of Carr but don't think much of Johnson...amazing stuff if you ask me.

Ted Marchabroda said that it is easy to defend Carr because he can't hit people in stride well. He noted that most of his passes were to guys on curls, zone sit down routes and when his receivers face up to him.

Bingo.

It just amazes me that a segment of our fans think highly of Carr but don't think much of Johnson...amazing stuff if you ask me.

There's a segment of fans that would blame Carr's problems on Demeco Ryans if they could.

Yep and that is Carrs' biggest weakness, it was evident after teams started teeing off on this offensive line and dropping back CB's into zone coverage. I go back to his very first game and think, this was the QB that we should have had all along. the QB that threw long pass in stride to WR's that burned thier man. The QB that can hit a TE in the open zone for a TD. The QB that challenged CB's with a dart to a WR. The QB that managed a game.

Where did he go? Did all of the pounding of the 1st few years taint him?

Yo FLASH!

If you slow down and realize that our QB can not throw that far. He has speed you must be drinking the Carr kool-aid again.

I never mentioned Carr. Andre never gets wide open. This year, we have Moulds, Daniels, Walter out there, and he does not get open that much. When Carr does get the ball out there, (and he does), AJ is always smothered by a CB. I see Harrison wide open sometimes, T.O., and the other great WR's get open every once in awhile. Why not AJ? Is he a bad route runner?

I never mentioned Carr. Andre never gets wide open. This year, we have Moulds, Daniels, Walter out there, and he does not get open that much. When Carr does get the ball out there, (and he does), AJ is always smothered by a CB. I see Harrison wide open sometimes, T.O., and the other great WR's get open every once in awhile. Why not AJ? Is he a bad route runner?
there are 11 defenders and when you only have ONE playmaker...you tend you cheat your defenders to him...he is still at the top of the heap in yards and receptions despite this. I don't understand some of our fans....just never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo59

?????????????.................?????????????..............?????????????................

I don't hate on Dre, but why can't I blame him for dropped balls at key moments? I don't want to trade him,I don't want to bench him. I want him to not drop the ball when he does not have any immediate presence around him. I could not believe the last 3rd down play, when he caught the ball and made a move on the first guy. JUMP for the fricking 1st down marker. There is open criticizm for some players for a lack of football awareness,this needs to be one of those instances. I agree that too much is asked of him, throw to Moulds more. He showed against Buffalo that he still has what it takes. I would like to see Carr spread it around more to Moulds, Daniels, Walters. AJ is a great receiver, I'd hate to see this board turn on him too.

three are 11 defenders and when you only have ONE playmaker...you tend you cheat your defenders to him...he is still at the top of the heap in yards and receptions despite this. I don't understand some of our fans....just never will.

You and me both will never understand some fans. You only want to look at Carr with a critical eye, but not the others. By your standards, I guess we'll have to sign Steve Smith so Andre can finally free himself. Daniels, Putz, Moulds, Walter, Mathis, and Dominick last year just aren't good enough.

I think Andre is very good, but not great. He drops too many balls to be great, and he does not fight for the ball.

You and me both will never understand some fans. You only want to look at Carr with a critical eye, but not the others. By your standards, I guess we'll have to sign Steve Smith so Andre can finally free himself. Daniels, Putz, Moulds, Walter, Mathis, and Dominick last year just aren't good enough.
I think Johnson is a pro bowl talent, and the only elite playmaker on this team...I think Carr is one of the worst starters in the NFL at his position. You don't agree.....but lots of people don't agree with me even though I've proven to be a pretty astute observer of the team since year one. I'll stick to my eye for talent, my perceptions, and my history of being accurate for the most part.

....You notice the negative more these days because Andre is hobbled by this joke of an offense. We might as well have Corey and Jabbar at WR if we're going to play football like we do now. It's not like it would make any difference.
I for one hope this changes next season and we can see at least a reasonable facsimilie of a pro passing game.

This I can agree with. It seems like AJ was so much more in his 1st year and even the beginning of this year when he thought he was gonna get some WR2 help and a better offsensive scheme (or seemed like to me). But now later into the year he's seeing it's mostly the same 'ol and may have the attitude of "why make the effort if others won't either?"

I like 'dre and think another offseason adjustment by the Texans by a quality staff should do the trick to bring him back around.... hoping so anyway.

DRE is great!!! You ahve to take the good with the bad with superstars. Many of the great one's have lapses, due to wanting to make a big play. Harrison has drops, Chad Johnson has drops, and so did the great Jerry Rice. But right now, there aren't many out there who is tougher to handle. EVen Moss said AJ will be the next great NFL receiver, and that's alot coming from a guy always fighting with the T.O. issue!

DRE is great!!! You ahve to take the good with the bad with superstars. Many of the great one's have lapses, due to wanting to make a big play. Harrison has drops, Chad Johnson has drops, and so did the great Jerry Rice. But right now, there aren't many out there who is tougher to handle. EVen Moss said AJ will be the next great NFL receiver, and that's alot coming from a guy always fighting with the T.O. issue!
The big knock on TO early in his carreer was dropping balls. All WR's are going to drop some passes just like no baseball player is going to never strike out. AJ's drops are just magnified since he is our entire offense.

I think he's a good receiver, but until he stops trying to catch the ball with his arms, he won't be a great receiver.

Never, never catch the ball with your arms.

why don't you do a poll?

ok, i will

At market prices (i.e., a valuable player who would gather a fine return in a trade), are you a Seller or a Buyer of A.J.?

i'm a Seller.

I wish that I could see some legitimate talent line up around him . I think we need one more big time receiver that would help him Andre become an elite player.I think Andre is a great receiver and I would hate to see him in another uniform.

I am afraid that the drops that he has this season, may be a result of "this season". I'm not suggesting that AJ is tanking it, but I don't know that his heart is really in it...

It's not just the drops, but he doesn't seem to get as much YAC breaking tackles or running through people the way he used to.

I still like the guy and think he will be a top 3 receiver for a very long time!!

The big knock on TO early in his carreer was dropping balls. All WR's are going to drop some passes just like no baseball player is going to never strike out. AJ's drops are just magnified since he is our entire offense.

The big knock on TO is that he still drops catchable balls. TO leads the league in droipped balls.

On andre Johnson, while I think he is not on the top tier elite WR in the league who change games from that position. He is at the high end of the next tier. Andre Johnson becomes the best WR on all but 8 maybe 10 teams in the league at this moment. He performs at a pro bowl level despite the conservative offense, inconsistent QB play, and below average OL play. He is not perfect, but easily the best player on the Texans offense.

I think Johnson is a pro bowl talent, and the only elite playmaker on this team...I think Carr is one of the worst starters in the NFL at his position. You don't agree.....

You and Superstar both jumped to that assumption. I want Carr gone too. I gave him four years, but this fifth is too much. His TD totals are WAY too low, he won't throw downfield, and he's never named as a leader by his teammates.
I thought this thread was about AJ. Those earlier who wanted to get rid of AJ are nuts, IMO. He's the best offensive player we have.

Dre is awesome, but, like what Flash said, he needs to catch the ball with his hands. He is our best offensive player and opponent plans a scheme to cancel him out. But, everyone here knows that he doesn't always catch the ball. Some of his drops have led to TO's and termination of drives, but to say that he's goin to get traded would be suicide for the organization. Dre will be fine, and continue to get better.

I criticize AJ for drops, going UP for the ball and stopping on routes but he is still one of the best at his position. Could he improve? Heck yea! But damn it he better do it in a Texans uniform!

Walter does not get open much? Please, the passes he has received when called upon were... let me think... FIRST DOWNS!!! pretty reliable if you ask me.

The offense this year was horrible. Walter and Moulds would extremely help AJ and threaten defenses if Carr did not need 8 guys to stay in and block 5 guys

Without a 3WR set to spread the defense out and an offensive line to gel and protect with RBs that can pick up blitzs, NO OFFENSIVE THREAT.

Most defenses had one gameplan for the Texans offense, Let AJ catch the ball, but contain him after the catch. and in the meantime blitz and get to Carr as he would have little time to allow a play to develop

I like AJ, the same as DC, they both have been in the league for 4+ and they both still make bad mistakes in critical situations. But they are both in the top half of this team in talent, I'm for dropping the bottom half.

He is T.O. without the bad attitude, but he comes with dropped passes during the game and showing up in trash time. Its his 4th year, every team can get their #1 the ball, granted we need 8 guys to block 4 and he gets Double covered, but if AJs heart is not in it, then he is a loser and should not take his paycheck.

AJ is the guy you want to win with, but he is in the NFL and its time to make the basic catches.

Andre is our only playmaker on offense. Cry about the drops all you want, but his ability to make plays are well documented on film. With Carr people are still crying about the supporting cast and coaching. I cannot think of a time when I said to myself "Wow, he's the guy. This guy makes plays when there aren't any to be made." after a play that Carr was involved in. Oh, and AJ managed himself into a pro bowl with equally crappy talent and coaching.

Andre is our only playmaker on offense. Oh, and AJ managed himself into a pro bowl with equally crappy talent and coaching.

Look I'm guilty of being a Carr fan. But the reality of the situation is that A.J.
is going to come up in '09. Carr sucks. The o-line sucks. We have a hodge pogde at RB. '09 is not that far away sports fans. So the question is do you take the gamble that the team is going to be rebuilt good enough to make a major run at the play-offs in '09 ? Now I don't know. What I do know is A.J.'s stock, no matter who the QB is here, is never going to be higher than it is now. We have two strong WR classes in the pipe line. Some of us were just speculating. Not disagreeing on A.J.'s tallent. Or saying it's A.J.'s fault. Just saying. If you're niave enough to think that this conversation hasn't already taken place off of Kirby... you're dreaming. If they could get two high picks for the guy...with what they have now...wouldn't you have to consider it ? I love Dre. If we could package him for two 1's, I'd love him even more.

Back