Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How many like this???

Well, I hope that is not the outcome of the game. However the Pack is coming off of a high from beating the vikings and they hardly ever win five in a row, but they did just have their bye 2 weeks ago. It should be another good game.

Even if we lose, I hope you are right because our last two havent been good games by any stretch of the imagination.

Eric Brown starting and getting the pick? Carr throws two INTs and we still win? I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of OLine performance though, and if the O and D lines show up then we'll be in good shape for this game.

Fiddy said:
The simulation lost all creditability when Davis ripped off the 20 yard TD...

so you think just cause davis has had a bad season thus far that he cant still have a run of 20 yards or over ?? I have been seeing steady progress from him, and he's showing signs of life again !

TexansTrueFan said:
so you think just cause davis has had a bad season thus far that he cant still have a run of 20 yards or over ?? I have been seeing steady progress from him, and he's showing signs of life again !
So far this year he has received 152 hand-offs and his two longest runs are 10 and 12 yards. The rest of his runs were 9 yards and less. He just doesn't have the ability to make people pay. He will get some tough yards here and there but when he 'explodes', its usually for 7 yards.

Vinny, so what your telling me is that after Emmitt Smiths performance last year the Cardinals gave up on him ??? No and as a matter of fact he is having a pretty good season, after a lot of people said his career was over ! Davis has showed he is injury prone, and has had a bad season, but do you think that its impossible for him to rebound ? Ok i have an idea, lets put a new back in if he dont get a 100 yrds every week we'll get a new one, and a new one and a new one, that sound good ?

Vinny said:
So far this year he has received 152 hand-offs and his two longest runs are 10 and 12 yards. The rest of his runs were 9 yards and less. He just doesn't have the ability to make people pay. He will get some tough yards here and there but when he 'explodes', its usually for 7 yards.

Not an entirely fair evaluation IMO. DD has certainly had his struggles this year, but is it right to throw out last year?

Last season after he became the starter he never had a game without a run of at least 14 yds and had runs of 22, 27, 23, 51 and 21 for runs over 20 yards.

FYI--Tiki Barber (1st guy I looked up--I am sure there are plenty of guys with some long runs too) never had a run over 22 yards last year. Looks like the Giants were wise to keep him despite of his inability to make people pay.

TexansTrueFan said:
Vinny, so what your telling me is that after Emmitt Smiths performance last year the Cardinals gave up on him ??? No and as a matter of fact he is having a pretty good season, after a lot of people said his career was over ! Davis has showed he is injury prone, and has had a bad season, but do you think that its impossible for him to rebound ? Ok i have an idea, lets put a new back in if he dont get a 100 yrds every week we'll get a new one, and a new one and a new one, that sound good ?

thanks infantrycak, its funny how after one bad season he becomes a one hit wonder, a big bust :shocked

TexansTrueFan said:
Vinny, so what your telling me is that after Emmitt Smiths performance last year the Cardinals gave up on him ???
Where did I type "give up" on Dom?
TexansTrueFan said:
No and as a matter of fact he is having a pretty good season, after a lot of people said his career was over ! Davis has showed he is injury prone, and has had a bad season, but do you think that its impossible for him to rebound ?
Yeah, rebound to the form he shows as a dynamite third down back. I've been typing he is not a true feature back for over a year. 152 carries later, I have not changed my mind. We need a true feature back. Dom is a 3rd down back. He just isn't that talented.

infantrycak said:
Not an entirely fair evaluation IMO. DD has certainly had his struggles this year, but is it right to throw out last year?

Last season after he became the starter he never had a game without a run of at least 14 yds and had runs of 22, 27, 23, 51 and 21 for runs over 20 yards.

FYI--Tiki Barber (1st guy I looked up--I am sure there are plenty of guys with some long runs too) never had a run over 22 yards last year. Looks like the Giants were wise to keep him despite of his inability to make people pay.
I'd trade Dom straight up for Barber but there is one problem. Barber is an explosive tailback and the Giants would laugh at me.

yeah i like how Green fumbled... damn it! How would they know he has ever fumbled... GREEN NEVER FUMBLES! well let me rephrase that... green doesn't fumble as much in the second half of the season as he does in the first half. he actually switched hands last weekend, i was impressed!

Vinny said:
I'd trade Dom straight up for Barber but there is one problem. Barber is an explosive tailback and the Giants would laugh at me.

I would trade DD for Barber as well. Just funny that there are now three areas for comparison for them: (1) fumbling problems evidently can be corrected, (2) size isn't what determines injuries or the ability to be a full time back and (3) hard to determine explosiveness merely from the longest run.

Clearly DD isn't even himself much less Barber this year. Although Wells has done better this year, DD is still the best we have until/unless Hollings can get healthy and prove something--of course it would help any RB have an opportunity to prove something for the OL to finally gel and do their job half way decently.

infantrycak said:
I would trade DD for Barber as well. Just funny that there are now three areas for comparison for them: (1) fumbling problems evidently can be corrected, (2) size isn't what determines injuries or the ability to be a full time back and (3) hard to determine explosiveness merely from the longest run.

Clearly DD isn't even himself much less Barber this year. Although Wells has done better this year, DD is still the best we have until/unless Hollings can get healthy and prove something--of course it would help any RB have an opportunity to prove something for the OL to finally gel and do their job half way decently.
I understand. I also need to make clear that just because I do not like Dom's long term prospects as an NFL feature back, it doesn't mean I'm down on him. I think guys like Kevin Faulk and Dom Davis have a place in this league. I just don't see them as feature backs. They are both excellent fooball players just like Gaffney is a solid slot WR, but that doesn't make him worthless just because he is no WR1.

I just don't understand this mentality that if I don't see him as a legit first rate tailback in the NFL that I must think he is worthless.

Vinny said:
I understand. I also need to make clear that just because I do not like Dom's long term prospects as an NFL feature back, it doesn't mean I'm down on him. I think guys like Kevin Faulk and Dom Davis have a place in this league. I just don't see them as feature backs. They are both excellent fooball players just like Gaffney is a solid slot WR, but that doesn't make him worthless just because he is no WR1.

I just don't understand this mentality that if I don't see him as a legit first rate tailback in the NFL that I must think he is worthless.

No i dont think we think your saying that hmmm(confused myself) :shocked !!! But D.D had an awesome 1st year and so far the second year has Stunk, so i'd say give him a 3rd year to see if it was just a bad year or to see if he was a bust/3rd down back ! 1 good year 1 bad, gotta be a tie breaker !

Is DD having a bad year or is this O-line Scheme change so bad that nobody could run behind it or through it (except the opposition) given the talent we have playing the line or is the scheme so badly designed that no one could? :whew

I agree that Davis isn't our answer for the future of the running game. I'm not saying I know how to fix it or that I know why he isn't being very productive. I've never thought he was the answer. I like him coming out of the backfield because he does a good job receiving. There are just better options for running the football than him somewhere out there and the Texans need to find them.

TexansTrueFan said:
I have been seeing steady progress from him, and he's showing signs of life again !
You have been seeing steady progress because teams have gone into prevent the last 2 weeks since the opposing team has gone up big and dont want to give the big pass plays to AJ...

And bringging his yards per carry average up from 2.8 to 3.0 is really steady progress....

And isnt it odd that when any other backs gets around 100 yards in a game, his team wins but when Davis gets around 100 yards, we lose:

vs. Jets - 127 yards - lost
@ Indy - 109 yards - lost
@ Cincy - 104 yards - lost
vs. ATL - 101 yards - win

vs. San Diego - 87 yards - lost
@ Detriot - 78 yards - lost
@ Indy - 98 yards - lost

Record: 1-6 and we gauge a team by its wins...

Fiddy said:
And isnt it odd that when any other backs gets around 100 yards in a game, his team wins but when Davis gets around 100 yards, we lose:

@ Indy - 98 yards - lost

I think the losses have more to do with us being a young team with holes to fill. If we had a more complete team some of those losses would be wins.

Fiddy said:

@ Indy - 98 yards - lost

The only thing odd about that is that you would think that in any way reflects upon Davis. I'll even give you San Diego and Detroit as entirely his fault because of the fumbles--of course they really weren't but hey to be generous, but it is ridiculous to put any blame for the losses of 2003 you listed (last I checked DD wasn't out there as a DB at any time in those games) on DD much less the Indy game last week which was a top to bottom butt whoopin where the most defeated Texans unit on the field was the OL.

wags said:
I think the losses have more to do with us being a young team with holes to fill. If we had a more complete team some of those losses would be wins.
Ok, lets look at this year:
I got these stats after the Vikes game: http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=3391

vs. San Diego: 87 yards rushing - Lost
@ Detroit: 78 yards - Lost
@ KC: 12 - Win
vs. Oakland: DNP - Win
vs. Minnesota: 31 yards (I broke this game into halfs: Davis got most of his yards in first half and we went down 21-0 and after the half he didnt touch the ball and we scored 28 points to tie the game up and force OT)
@ Tennesse: 25 yards - Win
vs. Jacksonville: 56 yards - Win
@ Denver: 71 yards - Lost
@ Indy: 99 yards - Lost

We have lost all four of his four highest rushing total games...

infantrycak said:
The only thing odd about that is that you would think that in any way reflects upon Davis. I'll even give you San Diego and Detroit as entirely his fault because of the fumbles--of course they really weren't but hey to be generous, but it is ridiculous to put any blame for the losses of 2003 you listed (last I checked DD wasn't out there as a DB at any time in those games) on DD much less the Indy game last week which was a top to bottom butt whoopin where the most defeated Texans unit on the field was the OL.
Comments on the Indy game: TexansTrueFan is saying that Davis showed improvement in the Indy game, which I could not come to that conclusion since the Colts were in prevent when Davis got most of his yards...

But teams with 100 yard rushers usually win the game (Dont want to look for the exact stat but a quick one: Skins have 3 wins, Portis has had 100 yards in each of those wins), but not during Davis brief career. Teams go into cover 2, say that they will not allow the Texans to pass the ball and say run it with Davis and then they walk away with a 'W'...

Fiddy said:

All of that means nothing more than the Washington Redskins game as a prediction for the presidential election unless you can explain why. OK chaulk up the SD and Detroit games as lost due to fumbles. So how did his presence cause the Texans to lose the other games you have listed? Or, explain how Wells' 3.3 ypc magically transformed the game from a loss if DD had been in there to a win because he was in at TN.

Fiddy said:

In those four games Carr has 2 TD and 6 INTs. Also the defense gave up an average of 33.75 pts in those four games. Yes, now I see that DD was the main reason we lost those games. We need a RB who can throw more TD passes and stop the run.

BTW our RB should also be able to cover Roy Williams.

infantrycak said:
All of that means nothing more than the Washington Redskins game as a prediction for the presidential election unless you can explain why. OK chaulk up the SD and Detroit games as lost due to fumbles. So how did his presence cause the Texans to lose the other games you have listed? Or, explain how Wells' 3.3 ypc magically transformed the game from a loss if DD had been in there to a win because he was in at TN.
With Davis in the backfield:
Teams go into cover 2, say that they will not allow the Texans to pass the ball and say run it with Davis and then they walk away with a 'W'...
Also, Davis is takes away touches for AJ, Gaff, and Bradford when he is in and when the WRs touch the ball we win...

Fiddy said:
Skins have 3 wins, Portis has had 100 yards in each of those wins), but not during Davis brief career.

DD is definitely having a bad year so far, 1st fumbles, then injuries. JMO though, but Portis would be sucking behind the offensive blocking the Texans have had this year so far with the exception of the Oakland game. JMO but I don't think any RB in the league would have made much behind our line last week until the same time period DD did. The OL absolutely sucked.

wags said:
In those four games Carr has 2 TD and 6 INTs. Also the defense gave up an average of 33.75 pts in those four games. Yes, now I see that DD was the main reason we lost those games. We need a RB who can throw more TD passes and stop the run.

BTW our RB should also be able to cover Roy Williams.
Lets get one thing: I am not saying that DD was the reason for the lost at Indy, I was just telling that Davis got his yards in that game because the team went into prevent.

Our running back shouldnt have 2 fumbles to give Roy Williams 2 extra chances...

Fiddy said:
Also, Davis is takes away touches for AJ, Gaff, and Bradford when he is in and when the WRs touch the ball we win...

If you are talking about running too much, it isn't a RB specific problem, you need to be complaining about the coaches on that one. If it is a receiving to much comment, then you need to be complaining about Carr because he has said virtually every reception Davis has is a check down, i.e. he called it rather than get it to the WR. You don't get rid of a RB because your QB is too comfortable with him as a multitalented player, you counsel the QB better.

infantrycak said:
If you are talking about running too much, it isn't a RB specific problem, you need to be complaining about the coaches on that one. If it is a receiving to much comment, then you need to be complaining about Carr because he has said virtually every reception Davis has is a check down, i.e. he called it rather than get it to the WR. You don't get rid of a RB because your QB is too comfortable with him as a multitalented player, you counsel the QB better.
I am not talking about running the ball too much. I think our coaches get a great mix of run and pass. I agree with counseling the QB but you can also take the approach of someone addicted to something. How do you stop a person addicted to something like crack??? You take it away from him, let him go through a withdrawal period and then he wont use it (I know its a little more complicated than that, but that is the jest of it). The offense was so smooth in the 2nd half of the Vikes game and the entire Raider game because Carr was FORCED to go to other places with the ball, I would rather we counsel him but a withdrawal period seems to work....

Back