Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

How about Tony Romo in Houston

Garoppolo is the same question mark as Savage & Weeden. & there's nothing stopping us from drafting a QB in the first three rounds.

And one more thing for you to chew on. What about your boy McCarron? You are his biggest fan. I'd be perfectly fine with going after him to see what he's got. He shouldn't cost all that much since he hasn't threatened Dalton for the job. I saw some possible potential in him last season.

16143184_376504152734102_1590991654474884080_n.jpg

Haven't Texans fans seen enough old, beat up, broken players past their prime from other teams?

I'd take a gamble in the draft or Garrapolo. Keep rolling the dice until you find a guy that can at least be Schaubish. That's all we need with this defense right now.

And one more thing for you to chew on. What about your boy McCarron? You are his biggest fan.

First thing I said was that the Osweiler thing screwed any chance of the Texans going after Garoppolo.

Then, would I trade a 1st & 4th for Bradford, most likely not. But I do understand the Vikings doing so. Same as I understand the Eagles paying $20M to have him on their roster going into the draft.

Two weeks before the season starts, no viable plan B on the roster. Sorry, I'm not ready to punt. They had every reason to believe their defense would keep them in as many games as ours did. Then to think AD was going to have a good season. & you had one of the better OCs in the league.

It's not like any one else had a QB they were willing to give up, much less a starting QB, & definitely not for less.

First thing I said was that the Osweiler thing screwed any chance of the Texans going after Garoppolo.

Then, would I trade a 1st & 4th for Bradford, most likely not. But I do understand the Vikings doing so. Same as I understand the Eagles paying $20M to have him on their roster going into the draft.

Two weeks before the season starts, no viable plan B on the roster. Sorry, I'm not ready to punt. They had every reason to believe their defense would keep them in as many games as ours did. Then to think AD was going to have a good season. & you had one of the better OCs in the league.

It's not like any one else had a QB they were willing to give up, much less a starting QB, & definitely not for less.

My point then was that Bradford wasn't going to really change things for them but maybe a little at best. A 1st rounder and a 4th for a known guy that is average at best was just giving away valuable picks for nothing.

You didn't address my question about McCarron. Figured you'd be screaming his name by now to throw it in the hat.

just a quick ? or rather test i should say so here is what i ask- if Big Ben was free would you try to get him as fans ?

My point then was that Bradford wasn't going to really change things for them but maybe a little at best. A 1st rounder and a 4th for a known guy that is average at best was just giving away valuable picks for nothing.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Their OC quitting on them & the injury to Peterson changed their season a whole lot more than acquiring Bradford did. IMO.

You didn't address my question about McCarron. Figured you'd be screaming his name by now to throw it in the hat.

My man love for McCarron has been repeatedly over stated. I thought he was the best QB of the lot. But I didn't see a franchise QB in the bunch.

That includes JimmyG & Derek Carr.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Their OC quitting on them & the injury to Peterson changed their season a whole lot more than acquiring Bradford did. IMO.

My man love for McCarron has been repeatedly over stated. I thought he was the best QB of the lot. But I didn't see a franchise QB in the bunch.

That includes JimmyG & Derek Carr.

What!? So you are giving up on McCarron now? It was not overstated. You repped that guy non stop. And I am not exactly opposed to the idea that you may have just been onto something. May-beee. :)

What!? So you are giving up on McCarron now? It was not overstated. You repped that guy non stop. And I am not exactly opposed to the idea that you may have just been onto something. May-beee. :)

I was involved in a lot of discussions where my opinion was interjected.

I did think we should have drafted him in the 2nd... 3rd... 4th, but once they drafted Savage that was pretty much it.

I know right now good Schaub looks pretty dang good. But we should count ourselves lucky we didn't waste time with Bridgewater, Bortles, & the like.

It sux that we squandered that time with Fitz & the hateful 8. But we should aim higher. The next Roethlisberger, the next Rodgers...

I know some folks think Carr & JimmyG are the next somebody, I don't. More importantly I don't believe O'b did either or we would have had one or both.

Bradford actually played well, their defense let them down this year more than anything else plus the injuries, he wasn't worth what they gave up for him, but they thought they could win now so its understandable to a certain extent. I like JG too but its pure projection based on 1.5 games, he could end up being not we think it is and it wouldn't be far fetched. This team is at a crossroads so to speak. Do they push hard and go after a qb while sacrificing picks and money or do they continue to build through the draft, we'll know more when FA starts but its hard to keep a D together for more than a few years so do they believe more in the system or the players they have. I would add that looking at such a small sample size can be misleading. Look at Carson Wentz's first four games this year 91/135 1007 yds 7/1 TD/INT 103.5 Rating. He ended up with a 16/14 TD/INT and a 79 rating, so some caution is needed before going head over hills for a guys who has play limited games.

But unless the Texans win like 10 Super Bowls in a row or something, he will probably be a Steelers fan for life. Would be extremely tough to get him. Offer lifetime season tickets in McNair's box maybe? And all the hotdogs he could eat?

I would even throw in that he gets to slap Rick Smith as hard as he can once a year for life.

- Was only going off of your saying 'even if that means we wait until next year'. That's all. I'm all for us looking hard at this year's crop.

I'm going on what's being said now. But if O'b falls in love with a guy, that guy will be more likely to succeed.

So even if the "experts" don't care for a guy, I'm on board. Doesn't matter to me if we get the guy in the first, the fourth, or overpaid in FA.

Well, as long as it's not Hoyer.

Reactions: ROO
I'm going on what's being said now. But if O'b falls in love with a guy, that guy will be more likely to succeed.

So even if the "experts" don't care for a guy, I'm on board. Doesn't matter to me if we get the guy in the first, the fourth, or overpaid in FA.

Well, as long as it's not Hoyer.

Uhh, ok.

Wouldn't go out of my way to get him, but I'd be ok with Roethelisberger being a Texans fan..
But i would then reply Ben has been hurt more than Romo has are you cool with that, i see a lot of fans saying no to Romo because of injury concerns, Ben list is much worse

Didn't know you had to be in the best of shape to be a Texans fan..
With the state of our QBs....... they may start giving away chances to win the spot instead of the other "contests" they have for the crowd. Couldn't hurt to be in shape.

We dont know if he is injury prone that is the point, we don't know if he is any good either. We can only establish the chances he is this or that. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be an option. I'm saying his size matters, his play in the 1.5 games matter, his injury sure as hell matters too. You can't on one hand enter his 1.5 games of play into consideration while ignoring his injury at the same time, they are all part of the picture. The injury should decrease the amount your willing to give up to attain him. There's a reason that ideal size is ideal size and it most directly relates to durability. Sure there are guys who were small and didn't get hurt and vice versa, but that's missing the point. Size and durability are very related are you saying that the two have nothing to do with each other?

I said nothing about his size or durability corresponding .... I just found it funny that you are painting the durability of one Garappolo as such a negative while trying to convince us Romo is the answer when he's been oft injured.

I know some folks think Carr & JimmyG are the next somebody, I don't. More importantly I don't believe O'b did either or we would have had one or both.

Even for a guy that likes OB, he hasn't shown me squat to suggest that his evaluations on QB's are at all accurate or something to reference by.

I haven't seen one Houston Texans fan with a beer gut.
Most of our fan base have rock-hard abs and are in excellent fitness condition.
By the way. NFL Live on ESPN earlier today... They all agree, Romo to Houston is likely.

I haven't seen one Houston Texans fan with a beer gut.
Most of our fan base have rock-hard abs and are in excellent fitness condition.
By the way. NFL Live on ESPN earlier today... They all agree, Romo to Houston is likely.

you're going to far bro. This post just makes you sound ridiculous... or blind and foolish.

And talking heads don't ever get it right on the Texans

He'll be close to the Texas Medical Center when he breaks that collarbone again if he's lucky enough to do it at a home game.

He's got that going for him. We'll be screwed though like Dallas fans during the last few years before they got a replacement QB.

There's another angle I just thought of that makes bringing him here interesting.
Bring him here and draft a 4th round QB behind him.
50/50 chance the rookie has his job by week two and becomes our franchise QB lol

I'm not a fan of bringing him in.... but the latest in the rumors....

....“It’s hard to know which of these teams will wind up with Romo, but it’s clear it won’t be Dallas,” Schefter concluded..... One thing that has come out recently is that Romo reportedly wants to play against the Cowboys, now that they’ve moved on with Dak Prescott behind center. He’s also reportedly willing to sign an incentive-laden contract, which could put teams like Houston and Denver into play. His current $24.7 million cap hit isn’t something many teams that could contend for a title next year can absorb, so it seems likely that contract will not stand.......

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...m-to-return’-to-cowboys/ar-AAmAHxL?li=BBnb7Kz

I'm in. If the deal is incentive laden w/ little risk -- why not? I was a lifetime Vikes fan and we brought in Favre after his umpteenth retirement when he was 39. He played the year before for the Jets and threw 22 interceptions and was towards the bottom of the league in passer ratings. He jerks us around for a few months -- finally commits to playing the Tuesday before the first pre-season game and starts the game on Friday. The previous year we were a playoff team with a good defense and running game. Favre comes in and we're 12-4, in the NFC Championship game and one dumb-ass Favre last minute heroic play from going to the Super Bowl (if he throws the ball away, we most likely make a field goal and win the game, but he throws an interception instead).

If Romo stays healthy, I think we're a contender. If he chokes in the AFC Championship game -- at least we get there (I don't see us being competitive in this game with Os and most likely not even getting there). If he get's hurt and he's playing w/ an incentive deal -- we don't lose much. We can still draft a qb for the future this year. I'm not sure we're drafting anyone that is going to make a difference next year anyways. Let's make a run at this thing while we have the defense to do it.

Last edited:
I'm in. If the deal is incentive laden w/ little risk -- why not? I was a lifetime Vikes fan and we brought in Favre after his umpteenth retirement when he was 39. He played the year before for the Jets and threw 22 interceptions and was towards the bottom of the league in passer ratings. He jerks us around for a few months -- finally commits to playing the Tuesday before the first pre-season game and starts the game on Friday. The previous year we were a playoff team with a good defense and running game. Favre comes in and we're 12-4, in the NFC Championship game and one dumb-ass Favre last minute heroic play from going to the Super Bowl (if he throws the ball away, we most likely make a field goal and win the game, but he throws an interception instead).

If Romo stays healthy, I think we're a contender. If he chokes in the AFC Championship game -- at least we get there (we're not getting there w/ Os). If he get's hurt and he's playing w/ an incentive deal -- we don't lose much. We can still draft a qb for the future this year. I'm not sure we're drafting anyone that is going to make a difference next year anyways. Let's make a run at this thing while we have the defense to do it.
As much as I like the idea of Romo, I doubt we can afford him.
McNair seems to think so too judging by his comment to take one from the draft.

As much as I like the idea of Romo, I doubt we can afford him.
McNair seems to think so too judging by his comment to take one from the draft.
I think you're right. But I'm not opposed to the idea if they can make the #s work.

Last edited:
Great plan............Romo comes in........takes 1st team snaps thoughout the offseason/preseason............gets injured week 1, or week 3, or week 5?...........and he WILL get injured. That, cheap or not, assures that Osweiler and/or Savage lose any significant chance to develop, and automatically sets us back another year.

I remember Peyton was "open" to an incentive-laden contract then signed a monster deal with Denver.

I knew he wasn't going to come cheap & not even being able to grip a football much less throw one had me hoping the Texans didn't take the bait.

He didn't want to be a Texan. He just wanted to make it look like the market for his services was bigger than it was.

Romo wanting to play in Houston, Romo wanting to play in Cleveland, etc... it's all about marketing. Oldest trick in the book & people still fall for it.

I remember Peyton was "open" to an incentive-laden contract then signed a monster deal with Denver.

I knew he wasn't going to come cheap & not even being able to grip a football much less throw one had me hoping the Texans didn't take the bait.

He didn't want to be a Texan. He just wanted to make it look like the market for his services was bigger than it was.

Romo wanting to play in Houston, Romo wanting to play in Cleveland, etc... it's all about marketing. Oldest trick in the book & people still fall for it.

Absolutely nailed it. I see NYJ taking a chance on Romo. I see Washington taking a chance if they lose Cousins. I could see SF to ease the Shanahan era in. I could see Chicago depending on Cutler. Denver isn't investing a first (plus what was surrender to move up) on Lynch and then bringing in Romo unless they feel they have one more shot this upcoming year (doubt it with a new staff.) Houston isn't going the FA route after being burned by Oz. Romo just is using the big names/playoff caliber defenses to get the bottom dwellers to jack his value up one more time.

Ed Reed anyone?!?

Great plan............Romo comes in........takes 1st team snaps thoughout the offseason/preseason............gets injured week 1, or week 3, or week 5?...........and he WILL get injured. That, cheap or not, assures that Osweiler and/or Savage lose any significant chance to develop, and automatically sets us back another year.
So was bringing in a 39 year old quarterback who had thrown 22 interceptions and was the 22nd ranked qb in qbr the prior year, a great plan? There were 2 young qb's on the team at the time that didn't look promising -- each of which lost snaps. Seems pretty stupid but they were 1 play away from the Super Bowl and would have been there had it not been for bountygate -- seems like that 'great plan' worked just fine.

Last edited:
So was bringing in a 39 year old quarterback who had thrown 22 interceptions and was the 22nd ranked qb in qbr the prior year, a great plan? There were 2 young qb's on the team at the time that didn't look promising -- each of which lost snaps. Seems pretty stupid but they were 1 play away from the Super Bowl and would have been there had it not been for bountygate -- seems like that 'great plan' worked just fine.
Who are you talking about?

His salary this year is 14 M, any team can give him that much money guaranteed over multiple years and add in incentive laden salaries and bonuses, throwing out his 24.7 cap hit is a complete red herring, it includes the 10M prorated from his signing bonus which he already has.

If I'm Cleveland and have 100m+ in cap space, I would offer my 5th round pick for Romo and their 3rd. Saving the Cowboys 14m in cap space is a pretty big deal and few teams can do it. They are in win-now mode and 14m is another starter they could add.

If I'm Cleveland and have 100m+ in cap space, I would offer my 5th round pick for Romo and their 3rd. Saving the Cowboys 14m in cap space is a pretty big deal and few teams can do it. They are in win-now mode and 14m is another starter they could add.
Why would Cleveland be looking at an aging, oft injured QB? They need a young QB to build a franchise around in their perpetual rebuilding mode.

Why would Cleveland be looking at an aging, oft injured QB? They need a young QB to build a franchise around in their perpetual rebuilding mode.

Because they're Cleveland,lol! But I doubt even they are that dumb, Romo will go to a team that thinks they can win now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does romo have a trade clause in his contract? May not be up to him.

It's unlikely anyone will want to rake on his contract so he can effectively block a trade by refusing to negotiate a new deal.

Likely true, but qb desperate teams regularly do dumb things: like draft tebow in the first round.

Back