Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans select 4th round KeKe Coutee WR Texas Tech

I am starting to think the whole BOB's new game plan is strech the field with fast dudes and have Watson run around like a chicken with a bad ACL. This is the dude that approved the O-line last year. Anything is so possible with this coach.

I don't understand this. If the receivers are fast it would lead to early separation. If they can't get early separation you either check down or throw it to Hop.

Our OL was in shambles last season but we tried to fix it the best we could in a single offseason.

I am starting to think the whole BOB's new game plan is strech the field with fast dudes and have Watson run around like a chicken with a bad ACL. This is the dude that approved the O-line last year. Anything is so possible with this coach.

Actually I've said it before that this seems to be more of Gaine's idea, basically because O'Brien doesn't know what he's doing. Our line is a mess, our runningbacks are a mess, our rushing scheme is a mess. I think Gaine threw very specific pieces at Watson in hopes that he can make the most of it while Romeo resurrects the defense, and finally put an emphasis on special teams to take even more heat off of the offense.

Essentially Watson is Kubiak ... give most of our resources to the defense, and give me the pieces I need to make it work. Of course it all goes tits-up if/when Watson gets hurt in this scenario.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Is that young Thorn eating Mango ice cream?

:coffee:

Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1001976702225051650

DeAndre Hopkins impressed with Texans rookie Keke Coutee https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/DeAndre-Hopkins-impressed-with-Texans-rookie-Keke-12955587.php?utm_campaign=twitter-premium&utm_source=CMS%20Sharing%20Button&utm_medium=social … via @HoustonChron

7:00 PM - May 30, 2018

"He's always hanging around, seeing what I'm doing in between periods, asking me questions. The guy can play football. That's going to take care of itself. Coming in, learning this offense, getting his playbook and that's what he's been doing."

920x920.jpg

Houston Texans wide receiver Keke Coutee (16) runs against cornerback Johnathan Joseph during mini camp at The Methodist Training Center on Tuesday, June 12, 2018, in Houston.

Look! Look!..........a bandaid!............Coutee is sporting a bandaid!!..............He's already suffered a lower extremity injury and we haven't even entered TC!! :firehair: :chef: :backsout:

920x920.jpg

Houston Texans wide receiver Keke Coutee (16) runs against cornerback Johnathan Joseph during mini camp at The Methodist Training Center on Tuesday, June 12, 2018, in Houston.

Look! Look!..........a bandaid!............Coutee is sporting a bandaid!!..............He's already suffered a lower extremity injury and we haven't even entered TC!! :firehair: :chef: :backsout:

And it required a minor "procedure". :kitten:

Texans pleased with rookie WR Keke Coutee

Keke Coutee is following a tradition of Texas Tech wide receivers who have matriculated to the NFL.

The Texans' rookie fourth-round draft pick follows past receivers that include Wes Welker and Michael Crabtree.. A second-team All-Big 12 selection, Coutee caught 93 passes for 1,429 yards and 10 touchdowns last season.

Now, Coutee is challenging Braxton Miller for the slot receiver job while being coached by John Perry and Welker.

Coutee is off to a good start since joining the Texans.

When the Texans added Coutee to the roster, they envisioned him as an upgrade at the slot position and as a dangerous kick returner.

Coutee is a dynamic receiver in the open field capable of eluding defenders.

During minicamps, Coutee ran sharp routes and caught the football smoothly.

"He's only getting better," Texans Pro Bowl wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins said. "He's always hanging around, seeing what I'm doing in between periods, asking me questions. The guy can play football. That's going to take care of itself. Coming in, learning this offense, getting in his playbook and that's what he's been doing."

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-pleased-with-rookie-WR-Keke-Coutee-13004218.php

Actually I've said it before that this seems to be more of Gaine's idea, basically because O'Brien doesn't know what he's doing. Our line is a mess, our runningbacks are a mess, our rushing scheme is a mess. I think Gaine threw very specific pieces at Watson in hopes that he can make the most of it while Romeo resurrects the defense, and finally put an emphasis on special teams to take even more heat off of the offense.

Essentially Watson is Kubiak ... give most of our resources to the defense, and give me the pieces I need to make it work. Of course it all goes tits-up if/when Watson gets hurt in this scenario.

So BOB is drooling on his bib in a nursing home.

With this OL Watson will need luck to survive the season.

Love the Coutee pick.

So BOB is drooling on his bib in a nursing home.

With this OL Watson will need luck to survive the season.

Love the Coutee pick.

Considering the atrocities that he's done to our offensive line, the past 4 years of quarterbacks (and current backups), 'Miller up the middle' run game, our best tightend performance is 500yds/4td's and "I don't want to talk about clock management" - drooling on his bib may be too high praise.

I love the Coutee pick as well, for especially a reason I stated earlier in this thread - he fires off the line like a maniac. I'm actually not sure that he's built for the more intricate and often physical slot routes like a Welker or Edelman, best with change of direction and reading space. I'm sure he can, but I see seams, fades, digs and crosses to be where Coutee's most dangerous (take advantage of his get-off and get-gone). This works because O'Brien seems to run a very deep series of routes, and Coutee can add a mid-level dimension that works with and/or opposite Fuller.

Last edited:
Considering the atrocities that he's done to our offensive line, the past 4 years of quarterbacks (and current backups), 'Miller up the middle' run game, our best tightend performance is 500yds/4td's and "I don't want to talk about clock management" - drooling on his bib may be too high praise.

I love the Coutee pick as well, for especially a reason I stated earlier in this thread - he fires off the line like a maniac. I'm actually not sure that he's built for the more intricate and often physical slot routes like a Welker or Edelman, best with change of direction and reading space. I'm sure he can, but I see seams, fades, digs and crosses to be where Coutee's most dangerous (take advantage of his get-off and get-gone). This works because O'Brien seems to run a very deep series of routes, and Coutee can add a mid-level dimension that works with and/or opposite Fuller.

Let's see how they do with Gaine as GM. Obviously Ricky/BOB were oil/water. They didn't do enough to fix the OL. IMHO But I've always thought that fixing the mess that Ricky would take 2 to 3 yrs to fix.

The problems you have with running Miller up the middle was caused by the OT's being some of the worst OT's I've seen in my almost 50 yrs playing/watching football. The TE issues that you mention are mostly due to having to keep the TE in to help cover for the OT's or running short hot reads due to lack of protection from the OL. Also other than Anderson no TE could stretch the seams in the middle of the field. Especially since Fiedo went down early in the season. Hopefully Akins is the answer to this issue.

I'm not saying BOB is infallible but your issues were more of a talent issue. IMHO

Agreed about the clock mgmt. This is mainly due to BOB having the OC duties as well as HC. Your beloved Kubiak also had these issues until he hired Lil Shanny. I just think the HC/OC jobs are too much for one man. I wish BOB would rethink his position on this. But I understand why he did this last yr. I think he was being sabotaged by Ricky and if he was going to be fired he was going to be fired running his own offense. Why he didn't hire an OC this offseason is beyond me. If he's going to be HC/OC he should hire the best clock mgmt guy he can find and let them make the calls on that. I personally would hire an analytics guy with very little football background for that position. Most football people have proved inept at clock mgmt.

Let's see how they do with Gaine as GM. Obviously Ricky/BOB were oil/water. They didn't do enough to fix the OL. IMHO But I've always thought that fixing the mess that Ricky would take 2 to 3 yrs to fix.

The problems you have with running Miller up the middle was caused by the OT's being some of the worst OT's I've seen in my almost 50 yrs playing/watching football. The TE issues that you mention are mostly due to having to keep the TE in to help cover for the OT's or running short hot reads due to lack of protection from the OL. Also other than Anderson no TE could stretch the seams in the middle of the field. Especially since Fiedo went down early in the season. Hopefully Akins is the answer to this issue.

I'm not saying BOB is infallible but your issues were more of a talent issue. IMHO

Rick Smith was there to sign an all-star cast of offensive linemen both young and old because Kubiak said so and coached so. Of the newer players, he signed Jones and Brooks - are you suggesting that Smith dropped them of his own accord with a 'my bad'? I bet someone told him that Smith, Myers, Jones, Brooks, etc - weren't what they wanted as they cleaned house. Only 1 person was making that call and it wasn't Smith. There are many (MANY) things to blame Rick for, the offensive line is NOT one of them.

What do the offensive tackles have to do with running dive plays on 3rd/4th down? Orlando Pace and Walter Jones at OT doesn't change what coach is most comfortable calling, made obvious by using a back who is best in space in situations that he has proven unfit.

First the tightend issue was talent, then it was Mallett threw too hard, then it was turning the corner with Fido having an amazing year (500yds), and now it's they had to block. No. As you keep turning everything into Smith's fault extending from the offensive line, really look at that root. It's still the offensive line, but Smith put plenty of talent on the line. Someone couldn't make XSF into a player and started signing and destroying the Jeff Allens of the world (Smith isn't around for this series of junkers).

Last edited:
Rick Smith was there to sign an all-star cast of offensive linemen both young and old because Kubiak said so and coached so. Of the newer players, he signed Jones and Brooks - are you suggesting that Smith dropped them of his own accord with a 'my bad'? I bet someone told him that Smith, Myers, Jones, Brooks, etc - weren't what they wanted. Only 1 person was making that call and it wasn't Smith. There are many (MANY) things to blame Rick for, the offensive line is NOT one of them.

What do the offensive tackles have to do with running dive plays on 3rd/4th down? Orlando Pace and Walter Jones at OT doesn't change what coach is most comfortable calling, made obvious by using a back who is best in space in situations that he has proven unfit.

First the tightend issue was talent, then it was Mallett threw too hard, then it was turning the corner with Fido having an amazing year (500yds), and now it's they had to block. No. As you keep turning everything into Smith's fault extending from the offensive line, really look at that root. It's still the offensive line, but Smith put plenty of talent on the line. Someone couldn't make XSF into a player and started signing and destroying the Jeff Allens of the world (Smith isn't around for this series of junkers).

Smith came from the ZBS in Denver, he helped get the talent for the ZBS in Houston. What was the common thread? HOF'er Alex Gibbs.

When BOB came in he didn't want to run the ZBS, Ricky was lost as to what type of OL to draft because all he knew was what Gibbs taught him. BOB/Ricky really were oil and water when it came the OL. BOB came from the Scarnecchia scheme which is very different from the Gibbs scheme.

Smith came from the ZBS in Denver, he helped get the talent for the ZBS in Houston. What was the common thread? HOF'er Alex Gibbs.

When BOB came in he didn't want to run the ZBS, Ricky was lost as to what type of OL to draft because all he knew was what Gibbs taught him. BOB/Ricky really were oil and water when it came the OL. BOB came from the Scarnecchia scheme which is very different from the Gibbs scheme.

Myers and Brown were the only ones coached by Gibbs. Does scheme mean ignoring talent just because someone else had it first? Someone like Myers was scheme dependent. Was Brooks? Was Jones? No. What happened to XSF? Strong, good feet, decent technique - anything resembling NFL coaching should've made him a solid pro. Why are all of our free agents worse here? Because Smith brought them in? No.

Myers and Brown were the only ones coached by Gibbs. Does scheme mean ignoring talent just because someone else had it first? Someone like Myers was scheme dependent. Was Brooks? Was Jones? No. What happened to XSF? Strong, good feet, decent technique - anything resembling NFL coaching should've made him a solid pro. Why are all of our free agents worse here? Because Smith brought them in? No.

Wade Smith and Myers and Myers were on their last legs (See: their retirement dates) Brooks and Jones were brought in under Kubiak. Jones was Myers replacement and was an adequate replacement but they thought for the $$$$ Jones was going to get in FA that Martin not only would be a good replacement but an upgrade. Brooks was a great pick (I loved the pick at the time.) But he was having health issues with his stomach and Smith gambled that he would continue to have those issues. When Philly came calling with a big contract Smith let Books go. Come to find out Philly's Dr.'s discovered Brooks has anxiety issues, treated them properly and Brooks turns into the pro bowl player he could've been with the Texans. The problem is Smith chose Allen to replace Brooks. Smith didn't have a clue as to what type of OL BOB/Devlin look for. Count XSF in this group too.

Was Smith giving Newton that big extension a good idea? I was against it at the time, because I dont like players with starting experience having their best yrs in their contract yrs. This was well before Newton was injured.

Put all of this together and the lack investment in the OL in the draft and you get the OL we saw last yr.

We're just not going to agree on this. O'Brien was gifted an offensive line that Smith put together under another coach and not only did he get rid of talent, O'Brien proved incapable of coaching future talent. He cleaned house and has yet to provide a single player that's better than what he inherited.

Kubiak put 8(?) offensive players into the probowl with Smith at GM. It's been 5 years, eventually you have to stop blaming the yes-man.

Last edited:
We're just not going to agree on this. O'Brien was gifted an offensive line that Smith put together under another coach and not only did he get rid of talent, O'Brien proved incapable of coaching future talent. He cleaned house and has yet to provide a single player that's better than what he inherited.

Kubiak put 8(?) offensive players into the probowl with Smith at GM. It's been 5 years, eventually you have to stop blaming the yes-man.

We cant agree because we differ on who was running the show.

But even you will admit my previous post made sense. 2 different type OL systems. One Smith grew up with and knew. The other he didn't have a clue about.

Do you think BOB was/is making all of the calls in the war room? I dont. But I do believe Gaine knows the type of players BOB is looking for. Ricky not so much.

Mods, please change thread title to "WAAAHH!!! Rick Smith - OLine! WWAAAHHHH!!!" and merge with the OLine thread. Nah, better merge it with every thread in the entire forum since every single one turns into this.

Mods, please change thread title to "WAAAHH!!! Rick Smith - OLine! WWAAAHHHH!!!" and merge with the OLine thread. Nah, better merge it with every thread in the entire forum since every single one turns into this.

Lol, well at least we know where the major problem lies.. If the coaching staff/FO is even half as concerned then we should see a improvement this year.

Thank you Scooter.

Why does everyone blame Fuller for getting hurt and completely ignore the fact that it was Tom Savage that threw that ball for Fuller to go get right into triple coverage, with DB’s already charging towards him full speed? That horrible decision by Savage got Will’s ribs cracked, and kept him out for about a month or so. I think Will Fuller was on his way towards a breakout season and may damn well surpass Hopkins in the not so distant future.

Let's blame obriens routes for this one. Savage wasn't throwing it where the coach didnt want him to.

I also blame the routes for all the TE concussions.

He did great today. Just hope they lay off of the "reverse" shenanigans behind the line.

O'Brien's not smart enough to adapt from the college offense he's using (which has proven better than his own). Instead of motioning backs/tightends into and out of the backfield, he's stuck following the script that he's given.

What you think now smart guy.

Yep, the Texans are a great org, they just won their 2nd game in 13 tries and were very lucky to get the W. Very Oiler/Peterson esque. But hey the bunch of backup OL are going to improve into one of the best OL's in Texans history. I just wanted to revisit this post so I could garner more of your infinite wisdom. I guess I should've made that bet with you and rooted against my favorite team (Still not going to do it)

If Nuk, WFV, and Cutie ever get healthy and in sync they could be truly great.

Let's take it up a notch. If Watson, Hopkins, Fuller (Healthy ??), Koutee, Coates (Healthy ??), Thomas and Aikens ever get an OL that can give Watson the time to go through progressions, this could easily become the most potent offense in the NFL.

I would add Foreman but we need to see what he is once he's back on the field. For me, that doesn't need to happen until the final game of the season. Just a look-see as to where the RB position falls in the draft.

What you think now smart guy.

Yep, the Texans are a great org, they just won their 2nd game in 13 tries and were very lucky to get the W. Very Oiler/Peterson esque. But hey the bunch of backup OL are going to improve into one of the best OL's in Texans history. I just wanted to revisit this post so I could garner more of your infinite wisdom. I guess I should've made that bet with you and rooted against my favorite team (Still not going to do it)
Since you asked, you are still a stupid troll. This thread is titled "Keke Coutee" but you keep posting in it (just like every other thread on the message board) about Rick Smith and the OL. Only a stupid troll keeps doing that (since you asked).

Since you asked, you are still a stupid troll. This thread is titled "Keke Coutee" but you keep posting in it (just like every other thread on the message board) about Rick Smith and the OL. Only a stupid troll keeps doing that (since you asked).

Good to hear from you again, BTW, I usually just repond to those who respond to me regardless of which thread their thoughts are in. Kinda like I'm doing with your post here.

How's the truth playing out for you.

Coutee looks promising.

So far the only pick that hasn't at least flashed has been Kelly who was his last pick iirc.

Refreshing isn't it to have a competent GM for the 1st time in franchise history. What's great is he did this without a 1st or 2nd rd pick.

If the fans can stand to bear this sh!tshow of a season, then the talent deficiencies have a chance to be filled in next yrs draft/FA. (Doubtful the McNair's bring in top tier FA talent)

Refreshing isn't it to have a competent GM for the 1st time in franchise history. What's great is he did this without a 1st or 2nd rd pick.

If the fans can stand to bear this sh!tshow of a season, then the talent deficiencies have a chance to be filled in next yrs draft/FA. (Doubtful the McNair's bring in top tier FA talent)

just like with rookies I want to see him build on what he has done in future years before I declare him a competent GM, it has been very positive so far at least draft wise. His plan b of turning to Davenport after Solder signed elsewhere was highly questionable on his part.

Also it's up to Gaine to bring in top flight free agents the McNair's don't deal with that.

just like with rookies I want to see him build on what he has done in future years before I declare him a competent GM, it has been very positive so far at least draft wise. His plan b of turning to Davenport after Solder signed elsewhere was highly questionable on his part.

Also it's up to Gaine to bring in top flight free agents the McNair's don't deal with that.

To be fair, there wasn't much out there in FA at OT.

You dont think McNair signs off on big FA deals? Although there really only has been 1 top tier FA signing since the Texans inception. (JoJo)

To be fair, there wasn't much out there in FA at OT.

You dont think McNair signs off on big FA deals? Although there really only has been 1 top tier FA signing since the Texans inception. (JoJo)

Not much out there, true and I don't think he was wanting to make a trade with his already limited picks.

Of course Mcnair signs off on FA deals, but do I think he tells his GMs not to sign top tier FAs? No. It has already been proven to you that the Texans have spent the majority of their cap space for most of the franchises existence, I think it was a belief with Smith that it is better to sign multiple guys for less than 1 guy for a lot. Probably to try to help hide the fact that due to his poor drafting in the middle rounds we had 0 depth

Not much out there, true and I don't think he was wanting to make a trade with his already limited picks.

Of course Mcnair signs off on FA deals, but do I think he tells his GMs not to sign top tier FAs? No. It has already been proven to you that the Texans have spent the majority of their cap space for most of the franchises existence, I think it was a belief with Smith that it is better to sign multiple guys for less than 1 guy for a lot. Probably to try to help hide the fact that due to his poor drafting in the middle rounds we had 0 depth

This is probably true.

We will find out this offseason. Extra draft picks and cap space.

Sh!t man, as Fred pointed out this is a Coutee thread and you can't stop.

Rick Smith, Offensive line, McNair.

Back