Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans @ Kansas City Chiefs. 10/20. 3:25. CBS. **Official Gameday Thread**

I'll give Case credit. He's serviceable. Made some plays and bought some time w his feet. Need to do a better job at finding the free blitzer. Not a disaster. Would like to see him at QB after the bye.

We should still be eyeing QB, OL, LB, and DB in the draft.

He had no running game...like literally...

Considering that he did great.

I don't mind this loss. At least we had something to get excited about for the majority of the game. Keenum made the odd mistake and couldn't get us the win, but at least he was a silver lining.

Reports of Schaub doing backflips after the loss.

Nothing in this game suggests that Schaub is the answer. This game suggests that this O-line falls apart like a cheap suit in big situations and didn't give a running game to open up the passing game. Keenum gives more of a chance to make plays under pressure than Schaub does. He does need to protect the ball a little better to protect against the blind side rush he can't see, but at least he ended the pick-six streak and gave them a good chance to win.

This one is on the offensive line more than anything else.

Reports of Schaub doing backflips after the loss.

Keenum out performed what Schaub or Yates would have done by lightyears. THEY are serviceable, Keenum made throws Texans fans only see when watching OTHER legit teams once the Texans game is over or in most cases lately mercifully ended.

Just because the Texans lost (due to bad D, bad refs and horrible OL play) there is NO reason to peg ANY of that on Keenum. That was a team loss.

Today's game in a nutshell

Tu4GvmO.jpg

Damn, Case got blindsided - never had a chance. Still a great debut.

he had what 4 seconds, before the time the guy got him, he should have had the ball out by then when you know they are coming and coming hard. He's just not used to the speed of the game still.

Today's game in a nutshell

Tu4GvmO.jpg

The lack of a RB is something that really hurt the team today. I don't think any coach prepares to literally have no one to carry the ball, not sure who was good enough to not carry a 3rd RB...it's very very unusual for a team to not have 3 RBs in every game.

At this point I'm OK with continuing to start Keenum. I want to know what we have at QB before the draft. Had the Texans won this game, I'd be a little more excited in some ways, knowing that if Denver takes out Indy we'd only be a game out of the division lead.

At this point I want to see if Keenum has a chance to be the QB of the future. If not, OK, use a first-rounder to draft a QB. If so, you can address other issues.

The only thing that bugged me about Keenum was the two late fumbles after blindside hits (the latter of the two basically ended the game). Correct that and I think Keenum is a lot better at improvising under pressure than Yates, and a LOT better than Schaub under similar pressure.

no blocking in the backfield at the end was inexcusable. and why haven't we got a new special teams coach yet?

he had what 4 seconds, before the time the guy got him, he should have had the ball out by then when you know they are coming and coming hard. He's just not used to the speed of the game still.

From what I saw, he's well worth investing in. He got thrown into the fire, had no help from OD, Foster, the line, and made big time plays. If Hopkins held onto that ball in the end zone, we could've won this game.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

So now a 27 yard TD is great? We must have different standards. A part of the QB's responsibilities is to find the blitzer that the OL can't block; numbers game. You can pin that on the OL all you want but in an empty set the outside blitzer is for the QB. OL takes the inside guy.

QB of the future is not on our roster IMO.

So now a 27 yard TD is great? We must have different standards. A part of the QB's responsibilities is to find the blitzer that the OL can't block; numbers game. You can pin that on the OL all you want but in an empty set the outside blitzer is for the QB. OL takes the inside guy.

Please tell me, what rank defense was Case playing against, where was this game held, was there a running game, and how many NFL regular season games does Case have under his belt?

My standard is what would Schaub or Yates have done in a similar situation, and I don't see it as any better. Certainly not Schaub. We know how he falls apart like a cheap suit under pressure. Keenum at least gives the chance to make a play out of it. And the Chiefs have one of the best defenses in the NFL. He lost by ONE point, on the road. Remind me again how Schaub did last week at home against the mediocre Rams?

And continuing to play Keenum can tell us whether the main draft need for the Texans is a QB or an O-lineman who is good at pass blocking.

That last sack wasn't on him, they rushed three guys...

There was one where he just didn't read the blitz.

Overall he did a great job picking it up and reading the defense...but the moment that Tate got hurt and the Texans literally had no RB the offense went down several notches. I'll say Kubiak should have then went into two TE sets and max protect at that point but meh I think the bigger mistake was not carrying a 3rd RB.

This was his first game where everyone expected a disaster game...instead he had a good game by any standards. I think it's unfair to already cap his potential, it's nothing that says that he can't pick up that blitz and learn from his mistakes.

Without Case it's no doubt to me we aren't even in this game. Schaub is not making those plays he did and neither is Yates. As someone else said, he made plays that we see other QBs make. Everytime I see him I come away pretty impressed.

Also that he gets rid of it quickly and distributes the ball evenly. I feel like if Foster was in this game we win this one quite easily. With Tate just remaining healthy for the game we get a few more FGs...we moved the ball with a healthy RB on the field pretty easily and on a dominant secondary and pass rush...

you're basing on 1 game against the toughest defense in the league chiefs at home?

:vincepalm:

there are things to adjust but having some pass protection and foster are 2 things we needed too. case did great for his debut against a 5-0 team.

Not too concerned Keenum missed the reads today. If he continues to start and he continues missing the reads, then that is an issue.

Kubiak stuck with Schaub too long and, really, given the issues this team has in all phases of the game, Kubiak's job should be on the line. And I say this feeling that Keenum proved that Kubiak's scheme and play calling isn't as suspect as people have argued.

Not too concerned Keenum missed the reads today. If he continues to start and he continues missing the reads, then that is an issue.

Kubiak stuck with Schaub too long and, really, given the issues this team has in all phases of the game, Kubiak's job should be on the line. And I say this feeling that Keenum proved that Kubiak's scheme and play calling isn't as suspect as people have argued.

I think it was silly about all this Kubiak doesn't call deep passing plays...no, our QBs refused to throw them is all.

Funny thing...Kubiak was out Kubiak'd today, boy is KC conservative.

This is the worst kind of game you can imagine for the Texans if you want Kubiak gone. With the injuries suffered today and the close score, I think a conservative owner like McNair will be thinking this was a game we could have won if we didn't loose Foster and Cushing and if Keenum had made some more plays we could have pulled it out. All of those things could have happened and we may have won the game, but the simple fact is that we didn't. We didn't win and this will be chalked up as a moral victory. Kubiak did nothing to protect Case when it was obvious that the Chiefs were loading up on the pressure and blitzing him like crazy. Why not try some screen passes? Some misdirection plays? How about a quick slant route? No. We didn't see any adjustments made. The o-line is terrible, the secondary is awful, and our special teams still sucks (except for that one play where we downed the ball at the 1 yard line). These were all things we were all concerned about and now with Cushing's injury who's going to play he ILB? It was so obvious that they needed a quality backup in case Cushing went down again or to give him a break once in a while. There's lots of blame to go around but Kubiak and Rick Smith are the primary culprit. And the scary thing is that I can honestly see Kubiak returning next year if we continue to rack up moral victories.

My standard is what would Schaub or Yates have done in a similar situation, and I don't see it as any better. Certainly not Schaub. We know how he falls apart like a cheap suit under pressure. Keenum at least gives the chance to make a play out of it. And the Chiefs have one of the best defenses in the NFL. He lost by ONE point, on the road. Remind me again how Schaub did last week at home against the mediocre Rams?

And continuing to play Keenum can tell us whether the main draft need for the Texans is a QB or an O-lineman who is good at pass blocking.

Maybe your throbbing Case boner won't let you see my entire post, I already said I'd like to see him start our next game.

Right now, he holds the ball like a loaf of bread and flails it around. See the 2 fumbles.

TD pass was nice. It was 27 yards. Lets not over hype that. Nuk also made a helluva play there.

Had 2 really bad passes, both to the TE - just like the other QBs. Both of those balls floated. That's not a sign of a rocket arm.

The pass to Posey was nice. Great RAC.

Once the D figured out he couldn't find the 6th blitzer they kept doing it when we went empty.

Moxie only takes you so far.

Again, serviceable in my eyes so far. Maybe he does better w 2 weeks of preparation. HOPEFULLY he does and the rest of the team does too. Gonna be tough w/o Cush in the middle again.

Do you realize that one of the worst teams in the league blew us apart last week, and we almost beat the best defense in the league this week?

Maybe your throbbing Case boner won't let you see my entire post...

Dude, you lost all credibility with this. I do not have anything close to that. I just don't think Schaub or Yates gives us any better chance of winning, and I've already acknowledged that the fumbles are a serious concern.

You don't need to make ridiculous statements to get your point across, really. Get a grip.

Dude, you lost all credibility with this. I do not have anything close to that. I just don't think Schaub or Yates gives us any better chance of winning, and I've already acknowledged that the fumbles are a serious concern.

You don't need to make ridiculous statements to get your point across, really. Get a grip.

I really don't care what you think of my credibility. You don't see me crying about you being so sensitive.

I've said he's serviceable and would like to see him start the next game. I'm not running out and ordering a Keenum jersey after this performance. Maybe his play was great to some of y'all but it wasn't for me. Nothing today proved that we should stop scouting college QBs.

from a chief fan:

"To the Texans, that was one fine game that you brought to our house. You need to keep ahold of that young quarterback, he has some serious guts to come into Arrowhead Stadium and play as well as he did. He is going to turn into one fine quarterback soon. Send him our way if you don't want him. He is going to be one hell of a player in the future."

sums it up.

I really don't care what you think of my credibility. You don't see me crying about you being so sensitive.

I've said he's serviceable and would like to see him start the next game. I'm not running out and ordering a Keenum jersey after this performance. Maybe his play was great to some of y'all but it wasn't for me. Nothing today proved that we should stop scouting college QBs.

We need to scout for QB regardless, because Schaub will be a waste of money on the roster next year.

What I've said all along is this is an offensive league and also both sides of the ball feed off of each other. So do opposing teams.

Sphincters tend to tighten a bit when the other O puts pressure on you. It changes what the other team does. We've not given our defense a chance to make mistakes because we haven't been able to make up for anything on offense and have been giving the other team points/opportunities.

Hopefully case can keep it up. This would be a totally different team with more competent qb play. I'm sure of it.

I want to bring this post back up. This is what I believe to be our problem & has been our problem all year long. Matt Schaub has done enough to overshadow this fundamental problem & it's my contention that it doesn't matter who our QB is, if we don't fix this.

I say it a little bit different, football is situational. If we score 20, the other team will have it in their mind that they've got to score 23 to win & our defense isn't going to do much to stop them. If we score 10, our defense won't stop the other team from scoring 13.

If we score, the other team will feel that pressure to score & they'll score. If they score, we'll feel the pressure to score.... but we won't. I know that sounds like an offensive problem, but when we're giving up 98 yard drives for TDs.... They had another one giving up 82 yards for a TD. Might as well get rid of Lechler, bring Stanely back & then you can at least blame special teams.

So it really don't matter. With one QB we'll get blown out more often than not. With the other, we'll lose by 7 or less. But we're going to lose just the same.

They had every reason to play well today & they didn't. Even before the injuries, they weren't playing very well.

Nothing in this game suggests that Schaub is the answer. This game suggests that this O-line falls apart like a cheap suit in big situations and didn't give a running game to open up the passing game. Keenum gives more of a chance to make plays under pressure than Schaub does. He does need to protect the ball a little better to protect against the blind side rush he can't see, but at least he ended the pick-six streak and gave them a good chance to win.

This one is on the offensive line more than anything else.

He wasn't blindsided by the rush on either fumble

I want to bring this post back up. This is what I believe to be our problem & has been our problem all year long. Matt Schaub has done enough to overshadow this fundamental problem & it's my contention that it doesn't matter who our QB is, if we don't fix this.

I say it a little bit different, football is situational. If we score 20, the other team will have it in their mind that they've got to score 23 to win & our defense isn't going to do much to stop them. If we score 10, our defense won't stop the other team from scoring 13.

If we score, the other team will feel that pressure to score & they'll score. If they score, we'll feel the pressure to score.... but we won't. I know that sounds like an offensive problem, but when we're giving up 98 yard drives for TDs.... They had another one giving up 82 yards for a TD. Might as well get rid of Lechler, bring Stanely back & then you can at least blame special teams.

So it really don't matter. With one QB we'll get blown out more often than not. With the other, we'll lose by 7 or less. But we're going to lose just the same.

They had every reason to play well today & they didn't. Even before the injuries, they weren't playing very well.

Had a reply typed out, but I'll just settle for agree to disagree. No biggie.

He wasn't blindsided by the rush on either fumble

Blindsided is a misnomer in this case.
When the first read is away from the rush, the QB was blindsided;
he can't tell how quickly the rush comes to him.
If the rush comes in his field vision, he can (or is supposed to) see it; that's when he's not blindsided.

In both instances, the pass rush came too quickly; the first one in just over on second; the second in about two seconds.
The QB has to be able to trust the blind side blocker to do his job a little better.

Any idea why the Texans didn't try another QB sneak with Case Keenum on a second and goal around the half yard line? We tried some run with Greg Jones that lost about three yards. Kicking a field goal on that drive really turned out to be costly. I'd have even put in Watt, a former Tight End at Central Michigan, just to ram it in there in a unique situation like that (no Arian Foster and Tate played hurt).

Any idea why the Texans didn't try another QB sneak with Case Keenum on a second and goal around the half yard line? We tried some run with Greg Jones that lost about three yards. Kicking a field goal on that drive really turned out to be costly. I'd have even put in Watt, a former Tight End at Central Michigan, just to ram it in there in a unique situation like that (no Arian Foster and Tate played hurt).

good question. 4 qb sneaks. seriously.

Short yardage is about power...we are a finesse team. The team obviously didn't think Meyers could handle Poe. Having a big monster in the middle changes our plays but we can't see how we could use a guy like this. Maddening stuff really.

Short yardage is about power...we are a finesse team. The team obviously didn't think Meyers could handle Poe. Having a big monster in the middle changes our plays but we can't see how we could use a guy like this. Maddening stuff really.

Yes it is. I have never understood Philips mindset about not having a big ugly in the middle.

Last edited:
I know it's not the only reason, but you guys just mentioned us being small right up the middle on both sides of the ball, & we suck in the Red Zone on both sides of the ball... :wadepalm::kubepalm:

Yes it is. I have never understood Philips mindset about having a big ugly in the middle.

They're rare. If you want to count Poe, he makes 3 in the entire league (Wilfork, Ngata), it's even more rare that you can find one that will impact the game as much as, for as long as someone like Wilfork.

I'm sure if Wade had the opportunity & no substantially greater need, he'd pick a big guy he thought could get the job done.

Instead, we'll have to make due with these little fellas & the #8 run defense in 2012 & the #4 run defense in 2011.

I know it's not the only reason, but you guys just mentioned us being small right up the middle on both sides of the ball, & we suck in the Red Zone on both sides of the ball... :wadepalm::kubepalm:

We've been small on both sides of the ball for a while... but we've been top 10 in the league in scoring for several years & top 10 in defensive scoring the last two years.

Where was your face palm then?

Does anybody know where I can find a clip of our opening drive? I'm especially interested in watching that Graham drop that I keep hearing about.

Back