Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans Draft Leaks?

Do you believe the war room is leaky?

• Total voters

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just curious, how many of you think our drafts have been bamboozled by leaks? To me, it seems for a long time our intentions were all to well known by everyone else in the league. Do you believe that's because of leaks or because the organization has just been too predictable?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There has been an inherent dysfunction with this organization going back many, many years. This is actually fairly typical with executive boardrooms. Infighting, faction building, information leaks, and dirty politics is par for the course.

Unfortunately, it is a cancer to a football operation that should be run more like a military structure with clear leadership roles.

There have been too many voices, no clear vision, and owners more concerned about marketing and public appearance than actually assembling a rock solid football franchise power structure.

I have not heard of leaks, but I would not doubt them. There is a reason why Wade made it known that JJ was his guy. A reason why we know Deshaun was Rick Smith's guy. Reasons why nobody wants to accept any responsibility for the failures and start finger-pointing *cough*i.e. Osweiler*cough*.

These guys are leaving knives in each others backs, because they have different visions that do not. . . a l i g n. . .

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Just curious, how many of you think our drafts have been bamboozled by leaks? To me, it seems for a long time our intentions were all to well known by everyone else in the league. Do you believe that's because of leaks or because the organization has just been too predictable?
Can you name off some examples?

If you're going to say possibly Dillard, Jimmy G, Teddy B... I think in those cases, our need was so obvious that it was apparent who they were going to pick.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
More or less what DB says..but I don’t think it’s any different than all the other FO’s. It’s part of the game..to purposely leak things in order to get someone panicking to move up.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think in those cases, our need was so obvious that it was apparent who they were going to pick.
Not just The Who, but the when. Makes no sense that KC would jump to 10. In my mind I thought the trade would have been to 11 or 12 or 13, just outside of the top 10 especially for a playoff team because of the size of the jump.

NE trading ahead of us didn’t make sense.

I can’t think of any other specifics. But I know there’s been enough players taken ahead of us that to me, it seems more coordinated than the regular draft day thing.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Not just The Who, but the when. Makes no sense that KC would jump to 10. In my mind I thought the trade would have been to 11 or 12 or 13, just outside of the top 10 especially for a playoff team because of the size of the jump.

NE trading ahead of us didn’t make sense.

I can’t think of any other specifics. But I know there’s been enough players taken ahead of us that to me, it seems more coordinated than the regular draft day thing.
I think teams always have a vibe on what other teams want to do, especially when it involves trades. Both Houston & KC were probably in talks with CLE for #12, and I'm sure CLE let them both know what the other team is doing.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I don't think they were 'leaky' so to speak but their needs were completely and totally obvious to anyone with half a brain cell.

Texans need a QB , BottledWater is the next guy on the board , we have to get one spot in front of them - Same with Garoppolo.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't want to seem too negative but I don't think it's any of the options above. I just think those inside the war room were so inadequate they had no clue to what they were doing or what they really Wanted. As with politicians and news media, it the best for me not the team. I am not sure anything has changed with the hiring of caserio...

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I put combo because that’s the closest to my opinion. In reality, I believe other than Kubiak and Wade they’ve never hired anyone in a prominent position who was at any point exceptional at the job they were hired to do. I think that’s the real problem.

I see teams trade up and get jumped ahead of all the time. I see teams trade back...not pick guys their fan bases wanted or expected...

I don't know if getting jumped in front of happens more to the Texans or not. I just don’t think they’ve been good enough at the jobs they were hired to do.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I put combo because that’s the closest to my opinion. In reality, I believe other than Kubiak and Wade they’ve never hired anyone in a prominent position who was at any point exceptional at the job they were hired to do. I think that’s the real problem.

I see teams trade up and get jumped ahead of all the time. I see teams trade back...not pick guys their fan bases wanted or expected...

I don't know if getting jumped in front of happens more to the Texans or not. I just don’t think they’ve been good enough at the jobs they were hired to do.
That's good info... maybe I should have asked that kind of thing.

I'm wondering what everyone here believes about how the Texans have gone about the draft in the past. More importantly, I'd like to know (after the draft of course) if they think anything has changed. Like you said, the guys running the drafts in years past have not been particularly good at it. That needs to change.

I don't expect Caserio to come in & start nailing 1st round picks. Something they haven't been good at in New England, yet they won many championships. Something Rick Smith has been particuarly good at... but we're fighting to win ten games every year where the Patriots were rolling past 10 wins every season (when Brady was there).

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

I'm wondering what everyone here believes about how the Texans have gone about the draft in the past. More importantly, I'd like to know (after the draft of course) if they think anything has changed. Like you said, the guys running the drafts in years past have not been particularly good at it. That needs to change.

I don't expect Caserio to come in & start nailing 1st round picks. Something they haven't been good at in New England, yet they won many championships. Something Rick Smith has been particuarly good at... but we're fighting to win ten games every year where the Patriots were rolling past 10 wins every season (when Brady was there).

Yeah see that’s the thing...more than one way to build a franchise and have success. I don’t necessarily think you have to have great pieces in place everywhere. Just enough greatness to cover up the not so good areas. Patriots weren’t great at drafting. But they had enough greatness in that building to be a dynasty.

I know you’re specifically asking about the draft and the Texans ability to keep their intentions under wraps.

Of course we don’t really know, but Texans IMO have generally gotten the players they’d wanted especially when Smith was GM.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Well if Nick Caserio is not good in the draft I hope our new head coach will be whomever he is. 6 million dollars annually is a whole lot to pay for a contract guy who cannot draft

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Leak. We have/had someone making cash from another team for a stretch. Not sure if that's still the case.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
I thought they did in either 2019 or 2020 but I'd have to search. Also some of their first-round picks were taken away by the NFL. The fact that they did not have many first round picks makes me question Nikki's hiring even more
How much do first rd picks matter when your team dominates for 20 years and has 6 rings, to include 2-3 more Superbowl appearances?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How much do first rd picks matter when your team dominates for 20 years and has 6 rings, to include 2-3 more Superbowl appearances?
Agreed. They may not have been nailing their 1st round picks but they’ve built winning teams like no other. Yes, TB12 was has been a big part of that.

DW4 may not be Brady, but if Caserio can build the best team he can around him, good things should follow.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
While I get your point it doesn't give me any strong assurance that Nikki will be as successful here. We as of today do not have a Brady or a Belichick. I am pretty certain we don't have a Robert Kraft rowing the canoe.

First round picks are extremely important. And weighted in pproportion to where a team picks. For example this year we would have 1.3 And 31 teams besides Miami would love to have it.

let us not forget that cassero was in New England when they were penalized for a least one of those first round picks.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Far to many Texans drafts I have been bewitched, bedazzled and bewildered, not to mention extremely disappointed. So many Texans draft picks have been so bad, so wrong and so left field there is no way that info could've been leaked.