Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Houston '93: A Football Life

It seemed like a hit piece on Buddy Ryan (not that it isn't entirely undeserved) more than anything else. Gilbride comes off looking like a saint really and Adams has only brief mentions when talking about the dismantling of the team.

It was a decent ride through memory lane, but it felt like the entire piece centered on Ryan vs the offense.

I'll see it tonight. Can't wait. I love old Oiler stuff, even though it will probably piss me off. LOL

It seemed like a hit piece on Buddy Ryan (not that it isn't entirely undeserved) more than anything else. Gilbride comes off looking like a saint really and Adams has only brief mentions when talking about the dismantling of the team.

It was a decent ride through memory lane, but it felt like the entire piece centered on Ryan vs the offense.

While it wasn't only two or three short clips, they also kind of seemed to go out of their way to make Mike Holovak look kind of like a buffoon.

To me, that's unfortunate, because while he clearly had his drawbacks as a GM, he was a tremendous evaluator of talent, and the Oilers rosters back then clearly demonstrated that, and he was more responsible than anyone for putting that team together.

I'll see it tonight. Can't wait. I love old Oiler stuff, even though it will probably piss me off. LOL

It will, but it'll also bring back tons of memories, good and bad. There were many things I'd forgotten since then. Watching that show last night made them come pouring back in to where it seemed like it was just the other. Remembering where I was during every game and every 'event'.

Seeing the defensive players I loved (and hated) watching like Lathon, Fuller, Childress, Jones, Dishman, McDowel, Orlando, Bishop, Montgomery, etc. was just awesome.

Simply one of the most talented sports teams we've had in Houston in my lifetime. They'd give the Luv Ya Blu era a run for their money imo.

That makes sense to me. He was the spark that Bud threw into the powderkeg that followed Buffalo. Buddy Ryan is just completely outside of what a guy like Jack pardee is about and forcing him on Pardee was a classic Bud move. I was never a Buddy fan but I did appreciate what he brought to the defense. I just didn't realize how divisive he could be at the time.

I look at that whole thing and think "This is what Bud builds when he puts his mind to it".

Adams deserved his disappointments. I don't think any of the other people involved (coaches, players, and fans) did.

That makes sense to me. He was the spark that Bud threw into the powderkeg that followed Buffalo. Buddy Ryan is just completely outside of what a guy like Jack pardee is about and forcing him on Pardee was a classic Bud move. I was never a Buddy fan but I did appreciate what he brought to the defense. I just didn't realize how divisive he could be at the time.

I look at that whole thing and think "This is what Bud builds when he puts his mind to it".

Adams deserved his disappointments. I don't think any of the other people involved (coaches, players, and fans) did.

I mean, I love what he did for that defense for that year, and I wasn't aware at the time how much he divided the locker room so that was new to see. But yeah I think it strayed away from talking about Adams meddling too much because of his recent passing. I think you are on point with your assessment of Adams doing what Adams does and deserving that outcome.

I mean, I love what he did for that defense for that year, and I wasn't aware at the time how much he divided the locker room so that was new to see. But yeah I think it strayed away from talking about Adams meddling too much because of his recent passing. I think you are on point with your assessment of Adams doing what Adams does and deserving that outcome.

People up here always wonder why I hated Bud Adams, yet remained a Titan fan and this team was such a reminder why. God i forgot what a freak Lathon was, and what a talented, intense defense that version of the Oilers had. Reminded me that Ryan was a rare risk so...

I gave it thought and went to my other board and grabbed this. Pretty easy to see why Bud Adams never won a SB. Just look at the teams HC choices and where they came from.

Mike Munchak (2011-current) - Munchak was a player for the franchise for 12 seasons and a coach for 17 seasons before being hired as head coach.

Jeff Fisher (1994-2010) - Fisher became the defensive coordinator of the Oilers in 1994 because of his relationship with Buddy Ryan. Ryan was the DC of the Oilers in 1993, and when he left, he helped Fisher get the job. When Pardee was fired during the year, Floyd Reese helped promote Fisher to head coach.

Jack Pardee (1990-1994) - He coached the Houston Gamblers (USFL) and the University of Houston before becoming the Oilers head coach. Bud liked hometown heroes.

Jerry Glanville (1985-1989) - He was the defensive coordinator of the Oilers for two seasons before being promoted.

Hugh Campbell (1984-1985) - He was Warren Moon's head coach in the CFL and out of his league in Houston.

Chuck Studley (1983) - Was DC for the Oilers that year and was promoted to head coach after Biles was fired midseason.

Ed Biles (1981-1983) - He was the Oilers DC for 1974-1980.

Bum Phillips (1975-1980) - He was the Oilers DC in 1974.

Sid Gillman (1973-1974) - He appears to have been hired because he was a successful head coach with the AFL Chargers and not because of any ties to Houston or the Oilers.

So when I say Fisher was the best coach the franchise may have had, that's like me eating a Ritz cracker while hungry and claiming its delicious. Anything tastes good in that scenario.

Jack Pardee (1990-1994) - He coached the Houston Gamblers (USFL) and the University of Houston before becoming the Oilers head coach. Bud liked hometown heroes.

Why do you keep short-changing this guy? What about his other stints as a HC in the NFL? You make it sound like he went from the USFL to the NCAA to the NFL. He turned around a pretty bad Chicago Bears team and took them to the playoffs and then went to the Redskins and did... OK. He got them to a 10-6 mark that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs and then fell back.

Then he was out of the NFL for 10 years doing the USFL and NCAA things.

He was a good coach with LOTS of experience.

I thought it was an excellent documentary, and I expected nothing less from NFL Films.

I remember everything that happened that season, so very little was a revelation to me with the exception of individual experience with each player. I remember when Bud hired Buddy and the sniping immediately started in the press. I used to read every article in the Chronicle and Post about the Oilers (obviously pre-internet), as well as listened to the sports talk shows on news radio and coach shows on radio/tv, so anyone paying attention knew in advance of the season that there was division within the team.

I understand some thinking that they did a hit piece on Buddy Ryan, but dude was an a-hole. They could not do a piece like that if Buddy did not fulfill the requirements. He had no respect for Jack Pardee, left footprints on Pardee's head by reporting directly to Bud Adams, and immediately disrespected half the team with his constant criticism of the offense. And c'mon, taking a swipe at another coach during a game?? Can you really argue that Buddy was not an a-hole?

The history of the Houston Oilers can pretty much be encapsulated by three NFL Films productions:

Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League

While this is a documentary about the AFL as a whole, it does an excellent job of showing Bud Adams' role at the beginning and the early success the Oilers experienced. This early insight reveals a lot about both the direction of the Oilers in later decades with regards to Bud's actions, as well as the general course of the NFL after the merger to a pass-friendly league (which is on display with the run & shoot offense decades later).

NFL Films Lost Treasures: Bum Phillips

A fantastic documentary about the most beloved coach in Oilers history and encompasses everything about the '70's Oilers, Earl, and Luv Ya Blue. This is a magic time for me, as I was a kid and that atmosphere permeated everything in Houston. This is when I fell in love with the NFL as a fan.

A Football Life: '93 Oilers

Obvious subject of this thread, it did a great job of presenting the many facets of a franchise in turmoil and and the failure of a very talented team that could never find true success.

These are the three successful periods in Oilers history. I'd like to have a DVD/Blu Ray of each documentary. Sort of a trilogy for Oilers fans.

Last night was sort of strange watching the '93 Oilers. Like Showtime mentioned, so long ago but the memories are still so fresh to me. I'm glad they continued with the results of that season. The gutting of the team in '94 and the subsequent announcement to move to Tennessee in '95.

While I have never felt that I needed any closure as a fan, I did experience a weird vibe by the end and a sort of peace with all the history. Sometimes I feel nostalgia, but last night gave me a feeling that everything that happened needed to happen. Houston and Bud Adams needed to be separated, like a long dysfunctional marriage that had just been emptied of love.

I have given Bud some respect for admitting that his biggest regret was not allowing the Astros to move first. He knew he'd been played by uncle Drayton. But honestly, reliving those memories, I'm not even sure if losing our baseball team would have convinced Houston fans to give Bud everything he demanded. The love was gone. The heartbreak and disappointment of the team, and the deep seated disgust toward Bud Adams, was not something that could easily be overcome. He had no goodwill with the city. No championship history that bonds teams and fans. He was done with the city and the city was done with him. It is what it is, so no use crying over spilt milk.

Why do you keep short-changing this guy? What about his other stints as a HC in the NFL? You make it sound like he went from the USFL to the NCAA to the NFL. He turned around a pretty bad Chicago Bears team and took them to the playoffs and then went to the Redskins and did... OK. He got them to a 10-6 mark that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs and then fell back.

Then he was out of the NFL for 10 years doing the USFL and NCAA things.

He was a good coach with LOTS of experience.

I have a very edgy opinion of him, as really, the three most painful playoff losses in Oiler history were all on his watch in 3 straight seasons. The Broncos, where they let Elway somehow off the hook when they had that team dead to rights, or worse, when they blew homefield and the bye when they lost to a Giant team that was playing for nothing but pride...

Then the 35-3 game, then the Chiefs debacle.

Sorry, I just feel he sucked when all the chips were on the table.

I have a very edgy opinion of him, as really, the three most painful playoff losses in Oiler history were all on his watch in 3 straight seasons. The Broncos, where they let Elway somehow off the hook when they had that team dead to rights, or worse, when they blew homefield and the bye when they lost to a Giant team that was playing for nothing but pride...

Pardee was quiet dignity. He wasn't going to rally anyone or get his team to come out and stand on the other guys throat to end it. It's annoying but in the documentary I was struck by how one of the former players said "We didn't expect them to have any life left" when the Chiefs came out in the second half. I thought "That's the story of this town's NFL teams from Oilers to Texans". What kind of team mindset do you have to have to be thinking like that? Thinking like that after the losses to Denver and then Buffalo?

You would think that by that time the Oilers would have figured out that the second half is going to be much harder than the first half but you would be wrong.

The Texans have the same problem I think. They "win" the first half and are somehow surprised that the other team doesn't just mail it in after the halftime nap/juice-box break.

It's an odd mindset.

He might have sucked when the chips were on the table but he didn't suck when they weren't on the table.

Fisher got his team to the playoffs in 37.5% of his opportunities (6 playoff years out of 16 full seasons). Pardee got his team to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years... 80% of his opportunities.

Granted, Fisher was able to get to a SB and lose a close one which counts for something but still, those are a lot of wasted years with Fisher.

He might have sucked when the chips were on the table but he didn't suck when they weren't on the table.

Fisher got his team to the playoffs in 37.5% of his opportunities (6 playoff years out of 16 full seasons). Pardee got his team to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years... 80% of his opportunities.

Granted, Fisher was able to get to a SB and lose a close one which counts for something but still, those are a lot of wasted years with Fisher.

And I re-state, I'm not a Fisher guy. I'm choosing between meh and meh imo

You've got a point. Pardee had the most talented teams in Oilers history, yet could never lead them past the second round of the playoffs. And like you said, he led the team to three of the most disappointing playoff losses, one being a historic meltdown that still reverberates to this day.

Pardee seems more figurehead in hindsight. He was not calling plays, apparently did not have authority over his staff (especially Buddy in '93), and was forced to wear a disconnected headset because Bud thought it looked more like a head coach to have one.

Pardee is certainly a class act as an individual, but I'm not sure how high I could rank him on the coaching scale of greatness.

I thought it was an excellent documentary, and I expected nothing less from NFL Films.

I remember everything that happened that season, so very little was a revelation to me with the exception of individual experience with each player. I remember when Bud hired Buddy and the sniping immediately started in the press. I used to read every article in the Chronicle and Post about the Oilers (obviously pre-internet), as well as listened to the sports talk shows on news radio and coach shows on radio/tv, so anyone paying attention knew in advance of the season that there was division within the team.

I understand some thinking that they did a hit piece on Buddy Ryan, but dude was an a-hole. They could not do a piece like that if Buddy did not fulfill the requirements. He had no respect for Jack Pardee, left footprints on Pardee's head by reporting directly to Bud Adams, and immediately disrespected half the team with his constant criticism of the offense. And c'mon, taking a swipe at another coach during a game?? Can you really argue that Buddy was not an a-hole?

Yesterday, as the NFLN was promoting the show and showing up on several Houston sports talk shows, one of the guys associated with the production of the show made a statement I thought was interesting, but didn't appear in the final product (at least that I saw).

Gilbride's contract was up after the '92 season and the Buffalo debacle. Bud and Holovak went to Kevin and told him they wanted him to re-up. Gilbride told them he wasn't sure, and knowing Jim Eddy wasn't going to be back, he wanted to wait and see who the new DC was going to be before committing to come back. Bud assured Kevin that the new DC was going to be one of three guys - Wade Phillips, Vince Tobin, or Floyd Reese. Gilbride decided he was okay with any one of those three guys, so he went ahead and signed the contract to come back.

Everyone knows what happened from that point forward.

The documentary brought back a lot of memories. I was in L.A. at a burger joint watching the game when Ryan attempted to assault Gilbride. Wow! I had forgotten or didn't see the player jump between them and after period of time limited memory thought he had actually punched Gilbride.

I recall Ryan being popular for his defense upon arriving in Houston and had been accused of put out bounties to injure players from opposing teams. I did not know that he brought division almost of that magnitude to defense against the offense of the same team.

Also, I didn't know that Spencer Tillman and Jeff Alm had come to blows, and was curious when Tillman said that he felt bad after telling Alm that something bad was going to happen to him only a week before his tragic accident. I'm curious as to what happened prior to them having the encounter what had happened for Tillman to have formed that opinion.

I really enjoyed the documentary as well as the behind the scenes that followed. It was nice to see the players that contributed and that they all appear to be doing well mentally and physically.

The documentary brought back a lot of memories. I was in L.A. at a burger joint watching the game when Ryan attempted to assault Gilbride. Wow! I had forgotten or didn't see the player jump between them and after period of time limited memory thought he had actually punched Gilbride.

I recall Ryan being popular for his defense upon arriving in Houston and had been accused of put out bounties to injure players from opposing teams. I did not know that he brought division almost of that magnitude to defense against the offense of the same team.

Also, I didn't know that Spencer Tillman and Jeff Alm had come to blows, and was curious when Tillman said that he felt bad after telling Alm that something bad was going to happen to him only a week before his tragic accident. I'm curious as to what happened prior to them having the encounter what had happened for Tillman to have formed that opinion.

I really enjoyed the documentary as well as the behind the scenes that followed. It was nice to see the players that contributed and that they all appear to be doing well mentally and physically.

I might be misremembering but I thought Tillman said that the week before Alm had pushed one of the offensive coaches which caused him and Tillman to come to blows.

Alm had had a hard time making it as a regular starter for Houston and allegedly he was more of a loner and didn't fraternize much with the other players. The friend who was visiting him the night he killed himself was something like a college friend/teammate and they were very close. Just as a minor anecdote, the night preceding they had gone to The Old San Francisco Steak House on Westheimer whereabouts the Target is now (among other things) before the tragedy unfolded.

Last edited:
The David Williams baby issue doesn't seem like something that causes quite the same amount of stir it did at the time. Was that really one of the first time's that had happened and a player chose to skip a game over a baby being born? Seems like most of the players, even Moon, Jeffries and Jones in the retrospective all thought doing that today was still like breaking an unwritten rule and would cause the same consternation.

And while Favre did the best old man impression, Brady and Peyton Manning getting up there now, what a stud Moon was that at age 37 that season he was still one of the top 5 QB's in the league at the time and would go on to have a few more good seasons left.

Hard to believe what he would have done given a full NFL career. Even with the fumbles and lack of playoff success, I'm glad he made the HOF. He definitely earned it.

What was with the curly head carpet & mustaches back then? [IMGwidthsize=80]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nZt8id_L564/TAr5272AS_I/AAAAAAAAADs/im2gmIn9PDk/s320/mustache-_0004_burt-reynolds.jpg[/IMG]

How can any man be as slow as Cody Carlson?

How cool is it to see those familiar names with older faces?

Forgot about Jeff Alm... how sad was that?

Why wasn't anyone in charge of doing anything about the rot inside the organization? (Bud)

21 4th quarter points.

"We had not prepared one iota for the salary cap."

Oh, and Kevin Gilbride finally got his...

client_kgilbride.jpg

Just finished watching. Now I remember why there was so much love and frustration associated with being a fan. You just had to love 'em, yet they continually left you standing at the alter wondering what just happened.

The show also reminded of why I hated Bud Adams so much. I hope Bud is getting corn holed by Satan in hell.

Just so everyone knows what tipped me over the edge to make that comment about Adams was the parting shots of the Astrodome interior all torn up interspaced with shots of Adams moving the team. The imagery was just to much for me.

Just so everyone knows what tipped me over the edge... The imagery was just to much for me.

I'm right there with you, Thorn. The director of that entire sequence of catastrophes was Bud, who then tried to rob us and then stole our team away to Possum Holler. :pissed:

“It sits crumbing in the Texas sun, dwarfed by Reliant Stadium,” Charles says. “The Houston Astrodome, once dubbed the Eighth Wonder of the World, now looks like a practice bubble.

“Trapped inside this portal to the past are the ghosts of the Houston Oilers. Here in 1993, they were one of the most talented teams in NFL history – and, perhaps, the most dysfunctional.”

And then, from there, “Houston ‘93” gets really depressing.

And it sure did. After that they cut to the last game before the '93 season, in Buffalo, NY.

Until I saw the beginning to this show last night I USED to think the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan" was brutal. :D

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-footbal...78/A-Football-Life-Houston-93-Goodbye-Houston

So sad... :( The worst starts at the 2:30 mark. Makes me relive one of the worst sports moments of my life. I was a teenager, one of the Oilers' biggest fans. It was the worst time for the breakup. It was like taking that one favorite toy from a kid, it was was devastating. It was so hard to let it go but now that I watch this, and look back after all these years it really puts things into perspective.

So many reasons why it just wasn't meant to be. The Oilers of those years, and the city of Houston were just not meant to be. It was a divorce that was just inevitable.

So much anger, so much heartbreak. The story of Houston professional sports.

While it wasn't only two or three short clips, they also kind of seemed to go out of their way to make Mike Holovak look kind of like a buffoon.

To me, that's unfortunate, because while he clearly had his drawbacks as a GM, he was a tremendous evaluator of talent, and the Oilers rosters back then clearly demonstrated that, and he was more responsible than anyone for putting that team together.

everytime there interviewed him it look like he wanted to cry LOL :koolaid:

This thread got me to pull out an old book I've had and cherished for some time. It's called 'from Cannon to Campbell: An Illustrated History Of The Houston Oilers' Edited by Mickey Herskowitz (published in 1979 by Gulf Coast Graphics, no ISBN # given for those interested in Googling)

I think I read this something like 20 years ago and have found re-reading it has been like reading it all over again for the first time.

Pages 58-60 caught my eye........

In the fall of 1959, Art Rooney, the Pittsburgh Steelers owner, and George Halas, the Chicago Bears owner, speaking for the NFL's expansion committee, announced the Houston and Dallas would be offered franchises in the NFL. The only stipulation was each team must have an adequate playing facility with a minimum of 50,000 seats.

Dallas had the Cotton Bowl. No problem there. But Houston only had Rice Stadium, one of the best football parks in the land. Intercollegiate football was looking at pro football like a monster that might devour it. In New York, Chicago, and Cleveland, pros were winning over the fans. Colleges were being forced to give up football because of attendance drops.

Jess Neely, Rice's coach and athletic director, didn't want a pro team using university facilities. A man with strong convictions, Neely was powerful enough with the board to sway it's vote.

So the NFL franchise that could have been Houston's went instead to Minnesota. A franchise was awarded in Dallas to Clint Murchison. Lamar Hunt, who had also bid for the franchise, was passed over. Hunt, upset by the turn of events, got the idea of starting a second pro league. One of the first persons he sounded out was Adams. The AFL emerged from their first meeting. It was to lead to the costliest war in sports history.

Houston was also seeking a major-league baseball franchise. But here again the National and American Leagues were reluctant to talk business because Houston had no major-league baseball stadium.

The plan to build a multi-purpose stadium with revenue bonds was presented to county taxpayers. They approved.

The Oilers had sold a record high 14,000 season tickets to followers who thought they were going to watch their team in air-conditioned comfort. They were crushed by the announcement that the Oilers were going to Rice.

County Judge Bill Elliot called for an investigation. Adams accused Hofheinz of purposely prolonging negotiations so he could lead the Oilers to a point of no return. They would have no alternative but to accept his terms. Hofheinz never dreamed Rice would make it's stadium available.

It probably had nothing to do with Rice's surprise decision, but in making the stadium available, the university probably saved the Oilers as far as Houston was concerned.

"If Rice had not made it's stadium available to us, I'd have been faced with making one of two decisions," said Adams. "I could have either sold the team or moved it. Nobody in his right mind is getting out of pro football these days. So I imagine, I would have been forced to have shifted the franchise." The Oilers probably would have gone to Atlanta.

So Rice was winning, making their money. They made the decision not to abet a threatening team into their backyard. I can understand that, business is business. Then just a few short years later, when Rice was floundering and seeing it's revenue hit the skids, it (Neely) opted to reconsider. Again, an understandable business decision.

The fact of the matter is Rice essentially force the NFL out and handed us Bud and the new league. Then later by reversing it's decision on letting the Oilers play in Rice Stadium, it essentially gave us all the years that would be Bud Adams and the Houston Oilers.

Our NFL franchise were the Minnesota Vikings, who played in a Super Bowl in none other than Rice Stadium while the Oilers were golfing.

Lol, I'm not suggesting the history would have been the same. It most assuredly would not. But it makes you wonder what would have happened if Roy Hofheinz and the HSA would have gotten their grubby little hands on an NFL franchise (of which Bud Adams would have no doubt been a part of).

I can see Hofheinz going straight for a nickname such as the .....Astros. What an unexpected gift it would have been for Roy's Astro"world". Making the teams a matching set ala the St. Louis Cardinals or New York Giants. Maybe 'Rockets' to compliment the Astros name even though the NBA Houston Rockets were eons away?

Who knows what would have happened in that other timeline. Maybe a freaking Super Bowl appearance or two. I can only wonder.

I agree with you in general about being two separate franchises.

However, it's the same fan base (with the exception of the young fans who do not remember the Oilers).

As far as fan perspectives, 'cak and I had an interesting revelation during a conversation about growing up an Oilers fan versus growing up a Cowboys fan.

Cowboys fans (talking my generation and older) grew up with a team that was clutch. Roger Staubach was consistently able to pull victories from the jaws of defeat. And they won championships that way. So Cowboys fans were conditioned to never give up, to never doubt their team, because more often than not, the Cowboys of the '70's did some great things. Then they had the '90's Cowboys dynasty with three championships in four seasons. It just cemented the solid belief of Cowboys fans.

Contrast that to the Oilers. I grew up during Luv Ya Blue. My teams always fell short. They never went to a Super Bowl, much less won a championship (AFL doesn't count, before my time). Then fast forward to the most talented team in Oilers history with Warren Moon and Jack Pardee. They never got past the second round of the playoffs, and the obvious extreme disappointment of 35-3 just continued to condition Houston football fans to chokes and failures.

So many of today's Texans fans (my generation and older) still have a bit of that cynicism to our mentalities. Yeah, obviously different franchise with the Texans, but they have not done anything to erase the conditioning we received as Oilers fans. However, folks like 'cak, who grew up Cowboys fans, always expect the Texans to have the potential to pull out wins at the end of games.

This is just my perspective and something that 'cak and I talked about, so it's not really an argument but rather just a perception of why a big percentage of the Texans fanbase still has a bit of that leftover psyche from the Oilers. Just general observations, fwiw.

Repped

Great point, I never thought of the 2 orgs fans that way.

And while Favre did the best old man impression, Brady and Peyton Manning getting up there now, what a stud Moon was that at age 37 that season he was still one of the top 5 QB's in the league at the time and would go on to have a few more good seasons left.

Hard to believe what he would have done given a full NFL career. Even with the fumbles and lack of playoff success, I'm glad he made the HOF. He definitely earned it.

Warren Moon and the 91-93 playoff chokes hardened me to the point that I really didn't care when Bud moved his Oilers to Tackville.

Few things stuck out for me after watching it again.

It re-cements how I felt about Pardee. A better coach doesn't let that train wreck happen and takes control of the locker room. Dignified? Whatever. The sport isn't played, by and large, by dignified people.

I forgot the scrutiny Moon faced as a black man playing starting QB in Houston. It was intense and I think I underestimated how much work he had to do PR wise.

Ryan was a clown. A real turd. Happy to shove blame in someone's face, but when it was his unit letting the team down, never stood up and said, that's on me. It was all on the chuck and duck.

Most important, Bud Adams. Hiring his own DC over his HCs head. The man had no shame and as bad as he wanted to win, had no clue and was anything but a winner.

Holovak. Man was he a deer in the headlights.

Oh yeah, if NFL Films ever needs another Associate Producer, I want in!!!!!

Rice did the same crap to UH when Rice Stadium was built. The city built the stadium for both UH and Rice to play in but Rice came up with all the crackpot rules about how UH couldn't play a home game on the same weekend as Rice and they had to wait for Rice to finalize their schedule before UH could set their schedule, and finally UH got tired of the bull**** and moved into the Astrodome for their home games in 1965.

That was just the beginning of the bull**** Rice pulled with UH. UH was trying to get sponsorship to join the SWC and Neely claimed he would do it, but at every conference meeting with the issue came up he wouldn't say a word and UH would be out in the cold year after year.

Bud screwed up he could have controlled the lease on the dome but he screwed up and they let the Astros control it and he was forever the Astros tenant.

This thread got me to pull out an old book I've had and cherished for some time. It's called 'from Cannon to Campbell: An Illustrated History Of The Houston Oilers' Edited by Mickey Herskowitz (published in 1979 by Gulf Coast Graphics, no ISBN # given for those interested in Googling)

I think I read this something like 20 years ago and have found re-reading it has been like reading it all over again for the first time.

Pages 58-60 caught my eye........

So Rice was winning, making their money. They made the decision not to abet a threatening team into their backyard. I can understand that, business is business. Then just a few short years later, when Rice was floundering and seeing it's revenue hit the skids, it (Neely) opted to reconsider. Again, an understandable business decision.

The fact of the matter is Rice essentially force the NFL out and handed us Bud and the new league. Then later by reversing it's decision on letting the Oilers play in Rice Stadium, it essentially gave us all the years that would be Bud Adams and the Houston Oilers.

Our NFL franchise were the Minnesota Vikings, who played in a Super Bowl in none other than Rice Stadium while the Oilers were golfing.

Lol, I'm not suggesting the history would have been the same. It most assuredly would not. But it makes you wonder what would have happened if Roy Hofheinz and the HSA would have gotten their grubby little hands on an NFL franchise (of which Bud Adams would have no doubt been a part of).

I can see Hofheinz going straight for a nickname such as the .....Astros. What an unexpected gift it would have been for Roy's Astro"world". Making the teams a matching set ala the St. Louis Cardinals or New York Giants. Maybe 'Rockets' to compliment the Astros name even though the NBA Houston Rockets were eons away?

Who knows what would have happened in that other timeline. Maybe a freaking Super Bowl appearance or two. I can only wonder.

Very interesting, man. I'd love to have a copy of that book. I will give the name to my wife who is constantly going to used book stores.

Another you might want to check out that adds to it is Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team.

This book picks up where you left off. The NFL planned to put another expansion team in Houston after the AFL was created. But Bud pulled strings and kept Rice Stadium from being used. So the NFL ended up putting the expansion team in Dallas, which forced Lamar Hunt to relocate his Dallas Texans to Kansas City.

That expansion team became the Dallas Cowboys. Go figure.

Few things stuck out for me after watching it again.

It re-cements how I felt about Pardee. A better coach doesn't let that train wreck happen and takes control of the locker room. Dignified? Whatever. The sport isn't played, by and large, by dignified people.

I forgot the scrutiny Moon faced as a black man playing starting QB in Houston. It was intense and I think I underestimated how much work he had to do PR wise.

Ryan was a clown. A real turd. Happy to shove blame in someone's face, but when it was his unit letting the team down, never stood up and said, that's on me. It was all on the chuck and duck.

Most important, Bud Adams. Hiring his own DC over his HCs head. The man had no shame and as bad as he wanted to win, had no clue and was anything but a winner.

Holovak. Man was he a deer in the headlights.

Oh yeah, if NFL Films ever needs another Associate Producer, I want in!!!!!

I agree on Pardee. His hands off approach was bad leadership. His inability to have full authority, clearly undermined by Bud Adams with Buddy Ryan, ultimately caused a rift in the team that kept them from achieving greatness.

A couple of things that stuck out regarding Houston fans. They booed Warren Moon during the 1-4 start when he took the field. Sounds familiar, 'eh? This city can be as passionate as any fan base...when the teams win. But they can be as bitter and resentful as any fan base when the team loses. And that season saw both extremes in fans. Blackouts and empty stadium at the beginning of 1993, but packed house by the end.

I did not know that Houston set all time lowest attendance records in 1994. Heartbreak, disappointment, and bad revenue set the stage for Bud's exit. Then the good old boy network that always excluded Bud for decades played him with uncle Drayton as their tool.

And Warren Moon suffered some really bad criticism and personal attacks. People were yelling n-bombs at the man's family. Classless people that tarnished this city.

I agree on Pardee. His hands off approach was bad leadership. His inability to have full authority, clearly undermined by Bud Adams with Buddy Ryan, ultimately caused a rift in the team that kept them from achieving greatness.

A couple of things that stuck out regarding Houston fans. They booed Warren Moon during the 1-4 start when he took the field. Sounds familiar, 'eh? This city can be as passionate as any fan base...when the teams win. But they can be as bitter and resentful as any fan base when the team loses. And that season saw both extremes in fans. Blackouts and empty stadium at the beginning of 1993, but packed house by the end.

I did not know that Houston set all time lowest attendance records in 1994. Heartbreak, disappointment, and bad revenue set the stage for Bud's exit. Then the good old boy network that always excluded Bud for decades played him with uncle Drayton as their tool.

And Warren Moon suffered some really bad criticism and personal attacks. People were yelling n-bombs at the man's family. Classless people that tarnished this city.

what I remember was the bitterness over not only trading Moon, but how little they got for him. With the team, as we now know, so utterly unprepared for the cap, basically dumping him for nothing, then add in all the playoff chokes, and it was impossible to want to go to any game where you were putting dollars in Buds pocket. And it wasn't just Moon. The optics of your QBs being Bucky Richardson, Carlson and Tolliver wreaked of we suck. The optics of a dead man walking in Pardee wreaked. The fact that Adams was already publicly flying out to discuss moving a ****ty team wreaked. After opening week when they were destroyed by the Colts and a stud rookie named Marshall Faulk, it was obvious. Nothing like being down 35-0 at the half in your season opener to set the tone.

Fans weren't that stupid and knew the team was toast, so why go to see a crappy team, with a crappy owner, and a roster all waiting for pink slips?

I don't love Fisher, but he did an admirable job during that stretch through the move to Memphis.

I did not know that Houston set all time lowest attendance records in 1994. Heartbreak, disappointment, and bad revenue set the stage for Bud's exit.
Everyone knew the Oilers were gone, and nobody wanted to see them. I came down to Houston from Austin to go to Hudson & Harrigan's Christmas party, and the next day we decided to go see the Oilers play the Jets. It was the last game of the season, and everyone thought it was the Oilers last game in Houston. Turned out they came back in '95 for another lame duck season. Only Bud could botch that.

You know, growing up in Tokyo as Tokyo Giants fan, win was easy (Giants went to Japan series 9 years straight). Tokyo Giants is like Japan's team back then. They got money, biggest fan base in Japan(Back then) and since located in Tokyo, biggest exposure. When I moved to Houston (I was teen then), everything was different. I thought Baseball was the biggest sports in U.S. and found out it wasn't. It was Football. So, I got curious about the sports and study and learn rules and started to watch football and immediately fell in love with it. Soon after, I became Houston Oilers' fan.(back in 70's) But, this team don't win many games and I wasn't used to not winning much games. However, somehow I kept watching this team every week and brought Houston Chronicle and Post(no longer) just to read sports section about Oilers. I was really hooked. When I was in Tokyo, I didn't read newspaper just find out about Giants because, it is natural for them to win and I didn't even watch much of the game since they are more than likely to win.(I watched about 60% of the game at most) So I couldn't figure out why I was so hooked on Oilers. When I think back now, I think it was togetherness between team and its fans got me hooked on Oilers. Whenever the Oilers beat Steelers, I was so happy and seems like the whole city was happy. Back then, I hoped someday we have the Texan bowl and beat Cowboys which obviously didn't happen. But this show bring me back a lots of memory.

Sounds like we're pretty passionate when they lose as well. Passionate fans aren't always sunshine and rainbows.

Everyone knew the Oilers were gone, and nobody wanted to see them. I came down to Houston from Austin to go to Hudson & Harrigan's Christmas party, and the next day we decided to go see the Oilers play the Jets. It was the last game of the season, and everyone thought it was the Oilers last game in Houston. Turned out they came back in '95 for another lame duck season. Only Bud could botch that.

Bud had the worst timing ever to try to leverage a new stadium.

He was already on a lot of fans' shit-list from decades of middle-finger attitude about running his team with his business cronies. I remember people hating Bud during the run & shoot days, bitterness still leftover from how he dealt with Bum (even though Bum had made peace and was working radio games for the Oilers by that point).

The the Astrodome had recently received a $60 million renovation for the Oilers (which we are still paying today, iirc).

Mix that in with three years of epic playoff disappointments, gutting the team in '94 by being unprepared for a salary cap, uncle Drayton and the Houston power structure undermining his every public statement, and the championship runs of the Cowboys and Rockets during that period...and there was the perfect storm for Bud's bad timing.

Houston's reaction was "don't let the door hit you on the way out, a'hole".

My last Oilers game was the '96 Steelers game that everyone descended on the 'dome at the last moment. We did not get in until the end of the 1st quarter, and the place was probably 2/3rds Steelers fans. Terrible towels everywhere, and the Oilers were losing so Steelers fans were all high and mighty. Fun game when the Oilers staged a comeback to win it. We knew it was a lame duck season, but some of us wanted to see them one last time.

Found this about the game:

One of the first things Oilers receiver Willie Davis did after catching the 34-yard touchdown pass from Chris Chandler to beat the Steelers Sunday was tear down a Steeler banner from the Astrodome wall.

"That's ridiculous. We're supposed to be at home," Davis said. "Their fans putting up banners doesn't make sense. We have a good team."

For one bright and maybe final moment, the Oilers also had fans to celebrate the 23-13 win that hoisted their team into a tie with the Steelers atop the AFC Central at 5-2. The crowd of 50,337 was the biggest in two years and by far the biggest since owner Bud Adams announced he's moving the team move to Nashville in 1998.

Source

And this explains the lines, something I did not remember until today!:

Adams was already upset that fans had to stand in ticket lines Sunday until halftime trying to get in because Astrodome USA, owned by baseball's Astros, scheduled a Low Riders Convention, a Kick Boxing Tournament and a Gem and Jewelry Show next door at Astrohall and Astroarena at the same time as the Oiler game, congesting the area.

Sounds like we're pretty passionate when they lose as well. Passionate fans aren't always sunshine and rainbows.

Yep. People like to throw labels at fans, but it is what it is. This city has been consistent with regards to extreme passion at both ends of the spectrum.

Actually in 94 the attendance wasn't bad until they started to suck I remember they actually had a campaign to sell out the Giants game because it was on Monday Night Football.

Bud started negotiating with the Nashville mayor during the 95 pre season and he signed a 3 month agreement where no other city including Houston could talk to him, and by the that point it was pretty much a done deal that the team was leaving.

This is when the fans really checked out and said to hell with them, and it was no different in 96 and thats when in the best interest of everyone they bought out the last year of the lease and moved to Memphis for the 97 season.

Saturday Dec 13th just finished watching, many memories, sadness, excitement and what ifs. About 20-25 minutes in, they show fans who were disappointed. A huge guy (6'5" 315 lbs) is showing his disgust. That was my neighbor Richard Stewart aka "the banner man". He had a guy in Kemah paint these huge banners he hung throughout the Astrodome. He had season tickets & I went a couple times helped him hang them. He dressed up in a top hat, vest and tuxedo with long tails. He had huge sunglasses that were baby blue as was his pickup truck that was one of the few that had the Oiler motif. We also went to San Antonio training camp and man it was hot. Richard was highlighted in several tv spots on sports shows and one was him "fighting" with the Dallas fan who dressed up as a cowboy. Richard loved to yell at the opposing players and more than one threatened him. Glory days.

Good memories and Warren Moon will still always be my favorite QB.

Also, nothing against Vandermeer, but '93 was the first season I remember really getting into football and watching the Oilers on a regular basis, but re-listening to bits of play by play Tom Franklin and color from Russ Small (think Bum was there too), brought back great memories. Tom Franklin easily has to be one of the most underrated play by play guys there ever was. Great voice, wish he was involved with the Texans somehow.

At one point right after Houston got the expansion team, I remember Russ was going to be named the main play by play guy for radio and then a few months later he got dumped and Vandermeer was brought in. Don't think I ever heard what that was all about.

Man I hope Gilbride ended up replacing that white Mazda pickup. That thing looked rough.
The Bannerman and I took two commercial buses of fans to New Orleans Superdome and Small took a news station van in the convoy. He gave away lots of tee shirts, key chains with station logo and we had a Budweiser truck also giving out beer. Russ Small got trashed and I heard later made an ass out of himself on Bourbon Street.

The history of the Houston Oilers can pretty much be encapsulated by three NFL Films productions:

Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League

While this is a documentary about the AFL as a whole, it does an excellent job of showing Bud Adams' role at the beginning and the early success the Oilers experienced. This early insight reveals a lot about both the direction of the Oilers in later decades with regards to Bud's actions, as well as the general course of the NFL after the merger to a pass-friendly league (which is on display with the run & shoot offense decades later).

NFL Films Lost Treasures: Bum Phillips

A fantastic documentary about the most beloved coach in Oilers history and encompasses everything about the '70's Oilers, Earl, and Luv Ya Blue. This is a magic time for me, as I was a kid and that atmosphere permeated everything in Houston. This is when I fell in love with the NFL as a fan.

A Football Life: '93 Oilers

Obvious subject of this thread, it did a great job of presenting the many facets of a franchise in turmoil and and the failure of a very talented team that could never find true success.

These are the three successful periods in Oilers history. I'd like to have a DVD/Blu Ray of each documentary. Sort of a trilogy for Oilers fans.

Last night was sort of strange watching the '93 Oilers. Like Showtime mentioned, so long ago but the memories are still so fresh to me. I'm glad they continued with the results of that season. The gutting of the team in '94 and the subsequent announcement to move to Tennessee in '95.

While I have never felt that I needed any closure as a fan, I did experience a weird vibe by the end and a sort of peace with all the history. Sometimes I feel nostalgia, but last night gave me a feeling that everything that happened needed to happen. Houston and Bud Adams needed to be separated, like a long dysfunctional marriage that had just been emptied of love.

I have given Bud some respect for admitting that his biggest regret was not allowing the Astros to move first. He knew he'd been played by uncle Drayton. But honestly, reliving those memories, I'm not even sure if losing our baseball team would have convinced Houston fans to give Bud everything he demanded. The love was gone. The heartbreak and disappointment of the team, and the deep seated disgust toward Bud Adams, was not something that could easily be overcome. He had no goodwill with the city. No championship history that bonds teams and fans. He was done with the city and the city was done with him. It is what it is, so no use crying over spilt milk.
Excellent points. I remember having my dad mail articles to me while I was in boot camp San Diego 1970. Ryan was a punk and Pardee a wus even if talented. Most don't know or don't remember the role Drayton played in that fiasco. He egged Adams onto the move and for once stepped back and let Bud reap the whirlwind from fans. Later he benefited from the dome makeover but after Adams had relocated.

The David Williams baby issue doesn't seem like something that causes quite the same amount of stir it did at the time. Was that really one of the first time's that had happened and a player chose to skip a game over a baby being born? Seems like most of the players, even Moon, Jeffries and Jones in the retrospective all thought doing that today was still like breaking an unwritten rule and would cause the same consternation.
It was huge with comment from national shows as well as local and cause for debated around office water coolers. I remember debating it both at work and home. The biggest point seemed to be Williams could have attended birth of child and themn made game next day but chose not to.

What was with the curly head carpet & mustaches back then? [IMGwidthsize=80]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nZt8id_L564/TAr5272AS_I/AAAAAAAAADs/im2gmIn9PDk/s320/mustache-_0004_burt-reynolds.jpg[/IMG]

How can any man be as slow as Cody Carlson?

How cool is it to see those familiar names with older faces?

Forgot about Jeff Alm... how sad was that?

Why wasn't anyone in charge of doing anything about the rot inside the organization? (Bud)

21 4th quarter points.

"We had not prepared one iota for the salary cap."

Oh, and Kevin Gilbride finally got his...

client_kgilbride.jpg
Bud was a cranky old bastard used to fighting & the turmoil in oil industry. He loved a battle especially if others thought he was underdog. Remember this is the guy who with Hunt battled the NFL and won. Others have tried it since with no luck. I think Adams loved the conflict among the coaches and the orneryness that some like Glanville and Ryans brought. I think he craved attention like a three year old.

I was looking forward to this segment all season long. I'm a fan of those old Oilers teams and Warren Moon in particular. It was unfortunate that the franchise was torn apart by Bud Adams and the Oilers became the Titans. I can't say as a 49ers fan that I can relate to all the dejection and disappointment that has come with Houston's football history. At the same time I feel like that just as a fan of the NFL in general, I wouldn't wish what happened in Houston to any fan of a team. Looking at the Astrodome sitting there like a ghost town literally right next door to Reliant stadium was a little unsettling to watch, even through the detailed lens of carefully placed cameras. And with the demolition underway it's almost as if the franchise never was. I still don't get why Warren Moon was traded. Sure he was up there in age and he was due a roster bonus correct? But at the same time the following season seemed worth it. And later on Bud Adams made a money saving decision with Steve McNair, and I don't believe the Titans have really recovered since.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I hope Houston gets back on track soon. The team has a lot of talent. I'm a fan of Gary Kubiak and what he brings to the table as an offensive coordinator (he and Shanahan spent some time here in SF and helped Steve Young's game). Too bad it didn't work out for him as a head coach and he couldn't take the team farther. Even though you guys are in the AFC I try to keep an eye on the team as best I can from an outside perspective. Good luck in the future.

The Oilers '93 story just got weirder.

NFL Network's Emmy-nominated series "A Football Life" recently profiled a talented 1993 Houston Oilers team that devolved over a season filled with turmoil, dysfunction and heartbreak.

As it turns out, that checkered season might have also featured the first pair of gay teammates in NFL history.

"Listen, those guys that we're talking about were unbelievable teammates," Pro Bowl linebacker Lamar Lathon said, via the Houston Chronicle. "And if you wanted to go to war with someone, you would get those guys first. Because I have never seen tougher guys than those guys.

"And everybody in the locker room, the consensus knew or had an idea that things were not exactly right," Lathon went on. "But guess what? When they strapped the pads on and got on the field, man, we were going to war with these guys because they were unbelievable."

Um, I have no idea who Lathon could be talking about.

Back