Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Horrible news for the Jets game!!

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
The newly updated depth chart has Deljuan Robinson as the backup behind Okoye and has Cody starting at NT with Okam as his backup.

Against all reason and beyond comprehension, Deljuan Robinson has lost his battle to start at DT. Not only will our best run stuffing DT be watching Okoye and Cody from the bench against a run-dominate team, but I'm having a hard time resolving how this decision doesn't prove that our coaching staff doesn't know what it's looking at!

Kubiak clearly has no understanding of interior line play:
1. he thinks Casey Studdard should be starting
2. Deljuan sits on the bench in favor of guys like Okoye, Okam, Cody.

someone talk me off the cliff please!

The newly updated depth chart has Deljuan Robinson as the backup behind Okoye and has Cody starting at NT with Okam as his backup.

Against all reason and beyond comprehension, Deljuan Robinson has lost his battle to start at DT. Not only will our best run stuffing DT be watching Okoye and Cody from the bench against a run-dominate team, but I'm having a hard time resolving how this decision doesn't prove that our coaching staff doesn't know what it's looking at!

Robinson is a good player, but he's not exactly a pro bowler.

Since we have more line coaches than any other team in the NFL, you think Kubiak is the guy making these decisions? I understand that he's the guy on the hook when things don't work out, but I'm willing to bet Alex Gibbs had a great deal of say in where the OL guys are positioned, and I'd be willing to bet Kollar has a great deal of say in where the DL guys are. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I get the feeling that's the case.

Also, where did you hear that Kubiak thinks Studdard should be starting? Pitts is clearly the guy at that position. Unless you're referring to some motivational coachspeak I missed.

JUMP! :)

Hm... Ill wait until after the game to pass judgement on his ability to get the best possible players on the field.

Since we have more line coaches than any other team in the NFL, you think Kubiak is the guy making these decisions? I understand that he's the guy on the hook when things don't work out, but I'm willing to bet Alex Gibbs had a great deal of say in where the OL guys are positioned, and I'd be willing to bet Kollar has a great deal of say in where the DL guys are. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I get the feeling that's the case.

Granted, but it is Kubiak's opinion I hear when he raves about Studdard and he says that Robinson is in a battle with Okam. Give me a freakin' break on both counts! Besides, as a head coach, you don't allow your assistants to make assinine decisions that have a negative affect on the team. You would have to be a football novice not to realize that Studdard is a below par backup guard and that Robinson should be playing most of the game against a run dominate team.

Also, where did you hear that Kubiak thinks Studdard should be starting? Pitts is clearly the guy at that position. Unless you're referring to some motivational coachspeak I missed.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic about this, but I keep expecting Frank Okam to step up and take over the NT job as the starter once and for all. On paper, he is exactly what you want at that position. Well, he will get to play a lot on Sunday, so maybe we will see that happen over the next few weeks. But of course, Okam will have to earn it.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic about this, but I keep expecting Frank Okam to step up and take over the NT job as the starter once and for all. On paper, he is exactly what you want at that position. Well he will play a lot on Sunday, so maybe we will still see that happen over the next few weeks. But of course, Okam will have to earn it.

Just because Robinson isn't from Texas doesn't make him less qualified. The guy is strong and his weight, which is very functional, is over 320 lbs now. And, he doesn't take plays off, he doesn't get washed by linemen, and he's usually in the backfield in the vacinity of the POA.

Cody might be the starter, but then again I am pretty sure we'll see a lot of rotating with the DL this year.

No reason to jump off the proverbial cliff.

if this is enough to send you off the cliff, I quesiton your fanhood, because as Texans fans, we've endured way, way, way, etc, way worse

Granted, but it is Kubiak's opinion I hear when he raves about Studdard and he says that Robinson is in a battle with Okam. Give me a freakin' break on both counts! Besides, as a head coach, you don't allow your assistants to make assinine decisions that have a negative affect on the team. You would have to be a football novice not to realize that Studdard is a below par backup guard and that Robinson should be playing most of the game against a run dominate team.

That should be the position coach and the DC making that decision with Kubiak basically signing off on it. That should not be Kubiak's decision.

Cody might be the starter, but then again I am pretty sure we'll see a lot of rotating with the DL this year.

No reason to jump off the proverbial cliff.

Okay, I'm going to chill out. I just saw that the depth chart is "unofficial". So, I'm going to attempt to operate under the assumption that the coaching staff does know what it is doing and that Robinson will get the majority of snaps at one of the two DT positions against the Jets... He can sit against Arizona, but he'd better be playing a lot these first 2 weeks.

Good grief! All our DT's are average and interchangeable. Not one of them has taken advantage of the preseason to better their position. Plus, who cares who starts? They're all going to be rotating throughout the game anyway. Geez

Robinson is clearly our best, most disruptive interior lineman and why this change has been made I do not know. I'm not worried about it though because he'll get his snaps in there and the guy who can play will look better than the guy who still gets a pass because he hasn't started shaving yet.

That the Texans are putting Robinson behind Okoye on the depth chart should not come as a surprise to us. Your draft slot and your paycheck (earned or not) have always determined who was a starter here. I want to see how long Okoye can keep Robinson on the bench behind him. I'm thinking it won't be long.

Shut up with the horible news flash Get off the couch and get to the game

Umm, I'm in Austin. I will wake up at 4:30 am after working until midnight. I'll pack up the car, pickup Barrett, drive to Houston and arrive at the stadium at 8:00 am. We'll tailgate and talk football for 3 hours. I will walk into the stadium and to my seats at least 30 minutes before kickoff. I will remain in, or near my seats throughout the game and cheer vigorously enough to get a couple funny looks and probably a shoulder tap or two. Then, I'll head back to Austin and arrive around 8pm.

I've been making that trip since 2002. Is that good enough for you?

Good grief! All our DT's are average and interchangeable. Not one of them has taken advantage of the preseason to better their position. Plus, who cares who starts? They're all going to be rotating throughout the game anyway. Geez

yep. Sad, but true.

Robinson is clearly our best, most disruptive interior lineman and why this change has been made I do not know. I'm not worried about it though because he'll get his snaps in there and the guy who can play will look better than the guy who still gets a pass because he hasn't started shaving yet.

That the Texans are putting Robinson behind Okoye on the depth chart should not come as a surprise to us. Your draft slot and your paycheck (earned or not) have always determined who was a starter here. I want to see how long Okoye can keep Robinson on the bench behind him. I'm thinking it won't be long.

I think you're right. To be honest, I look forward to the day when I pop into the forum and see the trade thread and where Okoye gets sent. I'm just not impressed with the guy, never have been, and think the pick was stupid for a team that does not have the depth to use the time and space for project players from the first round.

Umm, I'm in Austin. I will wake up at 4:30 am after working until midnight. I'll pack up the car, pickup Barrett, drive to Houston and arrive at the stadium at 8:00 am. We'll tailgate and talk football for 3 hours. I will walk into the stadium and to my seats at least 30 minutes before kickoff. I will remain in, or near my seats throughout the game and cheer vigorously enough to get a couple funny looks and probably a shoulder tap or two. Then, I'll head back to Austin and arrive around 8pm.

I've been making that trip since 2002. Is that good enough for you?

Sounds like somebody just got offered a big steaming hot cup of STFU.

In a nice way of course.

You're nuts. Robinson has been great when he's been in the game this preseason and he was clearly the best DT last season as well.

You are right that who starts doesn't matter. However, I have seen some very bad signs this preseason:
1. Robinson has been coming in with the second team defense all preseason.
2. Okoye has been treated like Mario Williams. He is protected from injury and is always one of the first starters off the field in the insignificant preseason games.
3. Okoye played poorly last season but remained on the field almost every freakin' down until they put him on the shelf with his ankle.
4. Robinson was listed as the starting NT on the depth chart until today. Someone at houstontexans.com went into the depth chart and moved him from starter to backup. To me that is a pretty clear indication of a demotion and not simply indicating that he may not play the first snap.

yep. Sad, but true.

I think you're right. To be honest, I look forward to the day when I pop into the forum and see the trade thread and where Okoye gets sent. I'm just not impressed with the guy, never have been, and think the pick was stupid for a team that does not have the depth to use the time and space for project players from the first round.

So far the Okoye pick has been what the national media claimed the Mario pick would be for us. We passed up on two very good players that would've contributed a lot more than Okoye has thus far in Patrick Willis and Darelle Revis.

Even if Okoye turns into a solid DT before he plays out his rookie contract he wont be at the level Willis and Revis are at their respective positions.

yep. Sad, but true.

I hear you. Either that or the day he gets old enough to walk to the practice field on his own and actually plays like the guy we wanted him to be when we took him. We're in one of those Catch-22 situations where we trade him and he'll go turn into a miniature Warren Sapp and if we keep him he'll stay exactly like the guy we're looking at now. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I want to know what next years DL will be like. I'm dying for opening day but even now as the season slowly crawls toward it's kickoff I'm already thinking about the choices in defensive linemen in the 2010 draft. I have this picture in my mind of Rick Smith sitting in his office all day looking at film and reading statistics and sports pages from all over the country and muttering to himself "Sooner or later we gotta get one right! Just one DT is all I'm asking for!"

I bet he's decided to pick a DT already :)

You're nuts. Robinson has been great when he's been in the game this preseason and he was clearly the best DT last season as well.

You are right that who starts doesn't matter. However, I have seen some very bad signs this preseason:
2. Okoye has been treated like Mario Williams. He is protected from injury and is always one of the first starters off the field in the insignificant preseason games.
3. Okoye played poorly last season but remained on the field almost every freakin' down until they put him on the shelf with his ankle.
4. Robinson was listed as the starting NT on the depth chart until today. Someone at houstontexans.com went into the depth chart and moved him from starter to backup. To me that is a pretty clear indication of a demotion and not simply indicating that he may not play the first snap.

I'm nuts? Who started a knee-jerk thread about the coaches not having your favorite DT starting? Give me a break, dude.

Robinson did well at times this preseason, but so did Cody and Okam. The problem was they all had poor plays as well = interchangeable

I'm nuts? Who started a knee-jerk thread about the coaches not having your favorite DT starting? Give me a break, dude.

Robinson did well at times this preseason, but so did Cody and Okam. The problem was they all had poor plays as well = interchangeable

He's only my favorite because he is so clearly the best we have. I'm not pedaling him like some of you Longhorn fans who try and shove Okam in our face. If Robinson gets fewer snaps than Okoye and Cody in a game where the Jets are running the ball, it would be an obscene and indefensible error by this coaching staff.

I would think all will get playing time, and the depth chart doesn't mean that much.

The chart concerns me because it was just changed. I fear the update which took Robinson off the first team and moved his position from NT to 3 technique indicates that the staff believes him to be the third or fourth best DT on the team, which is absurd!

So folks are nuts just because they feel otherwise. Dude, get a grip HOU knows his football and has right to post his thoughts.

I don't get it....what's so horrible about it???

Great post. This is the best post of the thread, and sums the whole situation up excellently. Rep for you.

All four of these guys will play a lot. Does it really matter which one goes first, and which one goes second? Perhaps a couple of these guys will distinguish themselves as the season goes on and establish themselves as the clear #1 players at their positions. But for right now we have four decent, interchangeable defensive linemen. None of them are actually terrible, and certainly none of them are on track to ever get vote #1 for a pro bowl trip.

I expect us to stack the box this weekend with a view towards shutting down the run, putting pressure on the pocket and forcing the rookie QB Sanchez to throw the ball. If that is correct, the Texans defensive linemen will receive extra run-stopping help all game long. This is the biggest weakness that this team has. If the Texans can compensate and overcome this weakness, they will almost certainly win this game.

You're nuts. Robinson has been great

Being the best DT on the Texans and being great are two completely different things. If our staff wants to make a depth change between two mediocre (And that's giving both of them credit) players, then they can be my guest.

If Bill Kollar wants to put Shaun Cody in above Okam and Okoye in above Robinson on the depth chart, then I don't really care. How many times did Jeff Zgnonia come in last year? You think the depth guys aren't going to get to play?

Also, just to draw a similarity to last year, Ahman Green was the starting RB on game day week 1 last year.

I don't get it....what's so horrible about it???

What is horrible is that, if this comes to pass, it indicates the inability of our coaching staff to make good football decisions in the areas where this team has struggled : run defense, in this case.

How can we ever get the run defense fixed if those making the decision form and act on poor conclusions?! that's the problem.

He's only my favorite because he is so clearly the best we have. I'm not pedaling him like some of you Longhorn fans who try and shove Okam in our face. If Robinson gets fewer snaps than Okoye and Cody in a game where the Jets are running the ball, it would be an obscene and indefensible error by this coaching staff.

Let's not paint such a broad brush, Einstein. I haven't had much positive to say about any of our DT's. They're all average at best.

Back to the knee-jerkin

So folks are nuts just because they feel otherwise. Dude, get a grip HOU knows his football and has right to post his thoughts.

"you're nuts" is an expression in an attempt to communicate how strongly I disagree with the guy. I understand that he knows football. I discourse on the boards with him and read his posts. However, if he doesn't see a significant difference in the play of Robinson and the rest of the DTs in the run game, he is very wrong!

Let's not paint such a broad brush, Einstein. I haven't had much positive to say about any of our DT's. They're all average at best.

Back to the knee-jerkin
You really are just raving nut. Dude, calm down. LOL

Back to the knee-jerkin

"some of you" is a broad brush and knee-jerkin? I'm not sure I get that.

Perhaps they are all average at best. If so, Robinson is average and Okoye is horrid. My point would remain the same. Robinson should be seen by the staff as their best option at DT, particularly against a run dominate team.

"some of you" is a broad brush and knee-jerkin? I'm not sure I get that.

Perhaps they are all average at best. If so, Robinson is average and Okoye is horrid. My point would remain the same. Robinson should be seen by the staff as their best option at DT, particularly against a run dominate team.

Okay, now this I can agree with. Unfortunately

What is horrible is that, if this comes to pass, it indicates the inability of our coaching staff to make good football decisions in the areas where this team has struggled : run defense, in this case.

How can we ever get the run defense fixed if those making the decision form and act on poor conclusions?! that's the problem.

Well i for one think it just might be a good choice given that Robinson has had his arm wrapped up all of the preseason . If they have concluded that he will benefit from playing less or that the jets will attempt to run at the bad arm .

Well i for one think it just might be a good choice given that Robinson has had his arm wrapped up all of the preseason . If they have concluded that he will benefit from playing less or that the jets will attempt to run at the bad arm .

Sure, but if they were concerned about his injury, why did he play so much in the Tampa game?

I am not worried, its what we have and it is what it is. They will ALL be rotated quite a bit this season.

I am kind of excited at the prospect of Okam clogging up the middle when our D has its back up against the goal line. Anyone else thinking this could be big for us?

I am not worried, its what we have and it is what it is. They will ALL be rotated quite a bit this season.

I am kind of excited at the prospect of Okam clogging up the middle when our D has its back up against the goal line. Anyone else thinking this could be big for us?

I'm a long ways from wanting Okam in the game during a big moment... it is actually a terrifying thought. That being said, if he continues to flash and is able to contribute in a rotation without disappearing on some plays, then I would become encouraged.

Well, obviously, the world is coming to an end this Sunday. I suggest we all prepare for it with beer and nachos. :)

Back