Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Hmmm, now I'm scratching my head....

Señor Stan said:
Señor Stan: "Double Barrel what is best in life?"
Double Barrel "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

:ok:

1) Why did we pay Anthony Weaver DE money if we are just going to use him as another DT? We already have Robaire Smith, Travis Johnson, & Seth Payne. And indications are Mario will be at one end and Peek/Babin at the other. I think we would have been fine with Weaver at one end and Peek/Babin at the other.

Robaire Smith has been having problems staying healthy, Johnson is still a rookie and Seth Payne is only getting older. DEPTH My Boy DEPTH

Saw this on Texans News section, Kubiak said "there are no starters and no backup players, everyone is fighting for a position and we will have best players on field" :drool:

sprtsfanatic said:
I would assume that out of the group that he mentioned when it was posted is that he meant payne???

Who hasn't missed a game in two years and three years ago busted a knee on turf so bad they replaced it mid-season a couple weeks after his injury? Dude is clearly made of glass.

Señor Stan said:
"And I know from what the coaches say that we're all going to get a lot of playing time. The way we're going to be playing, you can get tired quick. We're going to have a rotation there."

This is what I was thinking about too when looking at the depth on the defensive line. I am going to be looking to see if anybody tries to go "no huddle" quick strike on us.

It doesn't mean anything really, but it should be interesting to look for.

BigDTexansFan said:
1) Why did we pay Anthony Weaver DE money if we are just going to use him as another DT? We already have Robaire Smith, Travis Johnson, & Seth Payne. And indications are Mario will be at one end and Peek/Babin at the other. I think we would have been fine with Weaver at one end and Peek/Babin at the other.

Robaire Smith has been having problems staying healthy, Johnson is still a rookie and Seth Payne is only getting older. DEPTH My Boy DEPTH

Think about it.

Mario can line up at DE or further inside. What if Mario lines up at DE, and then half-way through the QB's cadence Mario switches with someone at the tackle spot? The QB thought Mario was lining up at DE to rush from the outside edge, and the QB (Manning?) changes the call to a running play up the middle to avoid Mario.......but Mario switches and lines up further inside in anticipation of the offense's audible.

And the QB has three seconds to snap the ball, and the QB thinks "Oh, crud."

That's along the same line as us theorizing that Bush could line up at RB and then sprint out to a WR spot, causing havok for the defense.

Well, same goes for Mario. With Mario, the whole defense becomes multi-dimentional.

And think about this scenario: To further blow the offenseive coordinator's mind, Mario runs a stunt and ends up (in the end) rushing from the outside edge. So many options..................

gpshafer_1976 said:
And think about this scenario: To further blow the offenseive coordinator's mind, Mario runs a stunt and ends up (in the end) rushing from the outside edge. So many options..................

Stunt? By the Texans? Wow - this new coaching staff is innovative!

I think this will be a fun season to watch.

Runner said:
Stunt? By the Texans? Wow - this new coaching staff is innovative!

I think this will be a fun season to watch.

yeah well i cant wait for Aug. Pre-Season may even be fun now. COME ON TEXANS !!!!!!!

jerek said:
Sweet heavens, a Colts fan? Who let you and your blasphemous graphics on this board? :)

Tell me Colts fan, how do you feel about releasing Edgerrin James? Good move or no?

Talent wise bad move, Edge was not a break away threat, but so much more then a running back. He could pick up a blitz like no other back in the NFL, bailed Manning out of numerous sacks. Always seems to get positive yards. Never big runs but always positive yards.

Salary cap wise, good move. Do you sign a 32 year old runningback to the deal the Cards gave him? Pretty old for a RB by NFL standards dont you think?
Not to mention next year Freeny is a F.A. and you dont have the
money to sign him due to signing Edge to the deal he wanted.

Here is the comment that will draw some serious :challenge from posters....But I will say it anyway and take the heat. As wonderful as everyone believes Edge to be, the passing game opened the holes for him. When teams drop 8 into coverage to stop the pass this leaves gapping holes on the line. I seen it every Sunday, if Edge gets through the line he is gonna get 5 yards because the LB's and the safties are in coverage and have to recover to stop him. This gives him at least 3 yards before someone makes it to him to stop him.

Tell me honestly how many of you fans really worried about Edge busting a 50+ yarder on you. Probably not many, because none of us Colts fans hoped for it because we knew it was not going to happen.

A new R.B. may not be Edge but he is a lot faster then Edge was. Drop 8 into coverage on Peyton and put a back in there that has sub 4.4 in the 40 and this guy may be on D.B. before they know it.

This is just my opinion though and I know alot of people will not agree. But hey what do I know I'm just here to :spy: My opinion is good move.

colts18288 said:
Here is the comment that will draw some serious :challenge from posters....But I will say it anyway and take the heat. As wonderful as everyone believes Edge to be, the passing game opened the holes for him.

When Edge was injured a few years ago, I seem to remember your offense continuing to perform with guys like Rhodes and Mungro. I think you guys might have a system similar to Denver's where you can snap in a lot of different RB's and still have success. You just haven't had to prove it very often the past few years.

So, yeah, I agree. I don't think losing Edge is a big deal for you guys. It might cost you a couple more sacks and a few more yards but you're still the team to beat.

colts18288 said:
Talent wise bad move, Edge was not a break away threat, but so much more then a running back. He could pick up a blitz like no other back in the NFL, bailed Manning out of numerous sacks. Always seems to get positive yards. Never big runs but always positive yards.

Salary cap wise, good move. Do you sign a 32 year old runningback to the deal the Cards gave him? Pretty old for a RB by NFL standards dont you think?

Here is the comment that will draw some serious :challenge from posters....But I will say it anyway and take the heat. As wonderful as everyone believes Edge to be, the passing game opened the holes for him. When teams drop 8 into coverage to stop the pass this leaves gapping holes on the line. I seen it every Sunday, if Edge gets through the line he is gonna get 5 yards because the LB's and the safties are in coverage and have to recover to stop him. This gives him at least 3 yards before someone makes it to him to stop him.

Tell me honestly how many of you fans really worried about Edge busting a 50+ yarder on you. Probably not many, because none of us Colts fans hoped for it because we knew it was not going to happen.

A new R.B. may not be Edge but he is a lot faster then Edge was. Drop 8 into coverage on Peyton and put a back in there that has sub 4.4 in the 40 and this guy may be on D.B. before they know it.

This is just my opinion though and I know alot of people will not agree. But hey what do I know I'm just here to :spy: My opinion is good move.
I think your argument is understood here. It is why many people wanted Reggie Bush. Only problem is we don't really have a passing game like yalls. Ha Ha Ha.

El Tejano said:
I think your argument is understood here. It is why many people wanted Reggie Bush. Only problem is we don't really have a passing game like yalls. Ha Ha Ha.

Not yet anyway, with the new coaching staff.......2 maybe 3 years you guys are legit payoff contenders on a yearly basis. Carr is a product of the retards that you poor fans had in your front office. Can only play with the toys your given, correct? If you got no toys, or the toys got no instructions why have the toy. I predict Texans are the suprise of the AFC this year. Next year wild card. IMHO.

gpshafer_1976 said:
Think about it.

Mario can line up at DE or further inside. What if Mario lines up at DE, and then half-way through the QB's cadence Mario switches with someone at the tackle spot? The QB thought Mario was lining up at DE to rush from the outside edge, and the QB (Manning?) changes the call to a running play up the middle to avoid Mario.......but Mario switches and lines up further inside in anticipation of the offense's audible.
So many options..................

Seriously.......... if I were an offense, I wouldn't want to run up the middle against Robaire & Weaver..... I'd take it to the weekside, against Peek.

colts18288 said:

Personally, I don't expect any running back to go for 50 yards... if he does, someone on my D screwed up more than that running back excelled. Defensive Coordinator, Safety, some one goofed.

But I'm constantly worried about the guy who can pick up the first, regardless of down and distance out of the backfield. And the Edge was one of those.

I'm shocked really, that a Colts fan would feel the way you do. Smart move... maybe so. But Edgerin James is a Colt, and if I were a fan, I wouldn't want to see him in any other colors........

And while it is true, that your passing game opens up your running game. But it wasn't always that way. The Edge has made it possible(I think) for you to get your game where it is today. If Peyton had been picking his rear off the ground after everysnap......... luckily, you had the Edge, and you won some games because of it.

I think the CBA should include a tenure clause, where you should only use 75/80 percent of a seasoned Vet(7 years with a team)'s salary against the cap.

Emmit in Arizona?? Larry Allen in SF?? Jerry Rice a Raider?? McNair in Baltimore?? come on......... when will this madness end?? The only one getting screwed, is the player. He has to leave a team that he helped build, and go to one of the worst teams in the league, and end his career as a burnt up has been that didn't recognize when it was time to leave the game.

colts18288 said:
Not yet anyway, with the new coaching staff.......2 maybe 3 years you guys are legit payoff contenders on a yearly basis. Carr is a product of the retards that you poor fans had in your front office. Can only play with the toys your given, correct? If you got no toys, or the toys got no instructions why have the toy. I predict Texans are the suprise of the AFC this year. Next year wild card. IMHO.

I like that comment. Not many can grasp that concept. That is why Reggie was not the best pick at this time. Kube is taking the right direction by building the team he wants step by step.

colts18288 said:

Nah, good call on your part. Edg to me was like an improved version of Domanick Davis: not a burner, but a very solid all-round threat and always seemed to bang out good yards on every carry. And yeah, I am sure he benefitted from the pass game, it's just the nature of things.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not sad to see him go. And I would probably agree with your take on it: sucks to lose the talent, but wasn't worth the dollars he was asking for, at this point in his career.

thunderkyss said:
I think the CBA should include a tenure clause, where you should only use 75/80 percent of a seasoned Vet(7 years with a team)'s salary against the cap.

Emmit in Arizona?? Larry Allen in SF?? Jerry Rice a Raider?? McNair in Baltimore?? come on......... when will this madness end?? The only one getting screwed, is the player. He has to leave a team that he helped build, and go to one of the worst teams in the league, and end his career as a burnt up has been that didn't recognize when it was time to leave the game.

Don't forget B. Favre in Green Bay.... oh wait ... oops :cool: :rolleyes:

jerek said:
Nah, good call on your part. Edg to me was like an improved version of Domanick Davis: not a burner, but a very solid all-round threat and always seemed to bang out good yards on every carry. And yeah, I am sure he benefitted from the pass game, it's just the nature of things.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not sad to see him go. And I would probably agree with your take on it: sucks to lose the talent, but wasn't worth the dollars he was asking for, at this point in his career.

I was amazed Cards offered him what they did, For a while I believed that the draft was so beep with R.B.s we might get him reasonable. But the more I watch of this kid we drafted the more impressed I get. For those of you that have never seen him play take a look see at him, let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8n2fUvNug

He may impress a few of you, some maybe not. But he looks like he's a keeper so far. Loves to workout and study the playbook, should make him buds with Peyton and that can only benifit us, the more they talk the better he gets.

By the way, love your 1st round pick. :superman: gonna be a bigger asset then Bush ever would have. IMO.

colts18288 said:
I was amazed Cards offered him what they did, For a while I believed that the draft was so beep with R.B.s we might get him reasonable. But the more I watch of this kid we drafted the more impressed I get. For those of you that have never seen him play take a look see at him, let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk8n2fUvNug

He may impress a few of you, some maybe not. But he looks like he's a keeper so far. Loves to workout and study the playbook, should make him buds with Peyton and that can only benifit us, the more they talk the better he gets.

By the way, love your 1st round pick. :superman: gonna be a bigger asset then Bush ever would have. IMO.

He played in houston at sharpstown high...

xtruroyaltyx said:
He played in houston at sharpstown high...

I realize that, but any fan base outside of Texas may not know him so I was pointing this out for them, but thanks that sheds even more light on it for those fans of the Texans that reside outside of your state.

thunderkyss said:

I agree. What they should have done was just charged the net amount away from the guaranteed pay rate to the salary cap. Meaning only players getting paid more then the basic min needs to be calculated for parity or team salary control.

thunderkyss said:
There is no madness, most of those guys cashed some pretty large checks at the end of their careers. Many players consider the NFL their employer and the team is just the branch of the larger corporation. Players change team for lots of reasons including money. Teams aren't loyal to players and the players understand this. Most guys don't mind transferring to another city if the pay is right. I don't disagree with your larger point though. I think they need to take care of their past players first though. There are lots of ex-players with physical problems and tiny pensions.

Vinny said:
Many players consider the NFL their employer and the team is just the branch of the larger corporation.

Ah yes, but then enters the extremely interesting dynamic of sports in general; the Fan.

Example: Emmitt Smith going to Arizona.

The conventional wisdom is that Smith had to go to Arizona because it was too costly to pay his veteran's tab, not so much that they didn't want to keep him on the team or that Emmitt wanted to play somewhere else. It rewards the fan to be able to have the option to keep a veteran on their team and not have to cut him loose because of his cap hit ( a cap hit that is more about his age then how he makes the team over competitive due to more money spent )

usually guys that get a lotta love from their fans and team tend to return the favour. Earl and Emmitt both modern and pre have some real love their cities, fans, and teams.

You have to admit that a 10 year player is no where near as dangerous a 4 year player in his prime ( on average ), yet both will often have similiar cap hits.

So I guess what I am saying is that you shouldn't punish the fans that like players with an age hit. The only thing that should be applying to the cap is the open market value, because you cannot reduce veterans pay to a level that is competitive with younger players.

Emmitt would lose his roster spot, not because of performance alone, but because he cannot reduce his pay to be on the same level with a rookie or younger player.

This not exactly how it went, but it is close and those were factors.

If you quantify a player performance with one number
Smith = 5
Rookie = 5

the cheaper player wins the roster spot and the money is not working toward parity.
---

but then again I guess Ralph Wilson would still complain that large market teams can keep their veterans and make more money on jersey sales and solidify their fan bases more readily! :)

nevermind then...

thunderkyss said:

Let's face it, these guys get paid top dollars to do what they do. They can always take a pay-cut if the REALLY want to stay on a team, the Patriots' players have been doing it for years. The reason they leave is simple: they want more money. The parity exists for a reason now and whether we like our veterans leaving or not, they do. But it makes a much more exciting game for those like us Texans who always have real hope that next year we could be in the playoffs.

colts18288 said:

HUH??? Last I checked James was about 28 years old. He's not washed up.

Are you sure you are a Colts fan? :spy: :jk:

colts18288 said:

The question isn't about running with your new RB, but his blitz pick-up. That is what made James so valuable to your team. How many sacks did he prevent. Now that you have a rookie this yr. will be more difficult for your team. If teams start successfully applying pressure to Manning their manueverability increases and they don't have to drop eight into coverage all the time. The Colts allowed the least sacks this previous season and James was a part of that. By implication this means Peyton was the least pressured QB in the league (on the field anyways) How do you think he will handle the pressure without James picking up the blitz.

Babin-Smith-Weaver-Williams, as long as Babin has one side, the running plays will go to the other. Watching the games bare out the fact no-one runs at Babin, with good reason he sheds blockers and makes stops as fast as any DE in the game. If williams is half the DE the Texans dratfed him as, we are good to go on the line. I believe in my coaching steff, I believe in the decisions of my coaching staff ! 4 now.

srstex said:
... as long as Babin has one side, the running plays will go to the other. Watching the games bare out the fact no-one runs at Babin, with good reason he sheds blockers and makes stops as fast as any DE in the game.
bug%20eyes%202160.jpg

srstex said:
Babin-Smith-Weaver-Williams, as long as Babin has one side, the running plays will go to the other. Watching the games bare out the fact no-one runs at Babin, with good reason he sheds blockers and makes stops as fast as any DE in the game. If williams is half the DE the Texans dratfed him as, we are good to go on the line. I believe in my coaching steff, I believe in the decisions of my coaching staff ! 4 now.

Jason, is that you?

dat_boy_yec said:
The question isn't about running with your new RB, but his blitz pick-up. That is what made James so valuable to your team. How many sacks did he prevent. Now that you have a rookie this yr. will be more difficult for your team. If teams start successfully applying pressure to Manning their manueverability increases and they don't have to drop eight into coverage all the time. The Colts allowed the least sacks this previous season and James was a part of that. By implication this means Peyton was the least pressured QB in the league (on the field anyways) How do you think he will handle the pressure without James picking up the blitz.

I would imagine alot more 3 step drops, get the ball out quick. Yes Edge was a big asset in this area, but at his age and the contract he wanted. This would have meant we could not sign Freeny at the end of this year and Bob Sanders next. I think Bill Polian made the right move. Let me ask you this, if your team had to either lose a R.B. like Edge or Guys like Freeny and Sanders what would you want your G.M. to do. Edge is 32, that's the back end of most R.B. careers, I dont see signing him for 4-5 years and only getting 2-3 years production out of him. Sentamental value means squat to me, Edge was great. But like all fans I want a Superbowl so bad I can taste it, the longer my team is able to hold the core group of players together the better our chances, we lost 1 but are know able to keep 2. Sign them all and sooner or later we end up looking like the TITANS. Salary cap H E (double hockey sticks).

That would leave you guys all alone at the top of the division.................I see what your doing................It all makes sense now......

colts18288 said:
Edge is 32, that's the back end of most R.B. careers, I dont see signing him for 4-5 years and only getting 2-3 years production out of him.

I guess you didn't see my first post. James is only 27 (birthdate 08/01/78), not 32. With a RB, that is a big difference. He will be 28 when this season starts.

As I said before, are you sure you are a Colts fan??? His number does NOT indicate his age!! :) :francis:

Edge's page from NFL.com: Birthdate: 08/01/78

colts18288 said:
I would imagine alot more 3 step drops, get the ball out quick. Yes Edge was a big asset in this area, but at his age and the contract he wanted. This would have meant we could not sign Freeny at the end of this year and Bob Sanders next. I think Bill Polian made the right move. Let me ask you this, if your team had to either lose a R.B. like Edge or Guys like Freeny and Sanders what would you want your G.M. to do. Edge is 32, that's the back end of most R.B. careers, I dont see signing him for 4-5 years and only getting 2-3 years production out of him. Sentamental value means squat to me, Edge was great. But like all fans I want a Superbowl so bad I can taste it, the longer my team is able to hold the core group of players together the better our chances, we lost 1 but are know able to keep 2. Sign them all and sooner or later we end up looking like the TITANS. Salary cap H E (double hockey sticks).

That would leave you guys all alone at the top of the division.................I see what your doing................It all makes sense now......

What poor lil' ole' me. I couldn't possibly conceive what you're talking about.

I don't know how easy of a time you'll have re-signing Freeney considering he's seeking to become the highest paid player in the NFL. (according to ESPN insider of May 26. You guys already have the top paid QB and the highest paid WR corps already. I would have kept the less premium position. Then again that's just me :stirpot: (What do us Texans fans know about the Colts right.) Also what will happen with June and Mathis next yr. I dunno maybe you could enlighten us. I mean I would just hate to see you guys fall from the top of the division. :poker:

More three step drops, wouldn't Manning be putting himself under more pressure like that. I mean it's not like we have dealt with 3-step drops here in Houston. :sarcasm: Oh well good luck with that. It's not like you're team's gonna need it. :stirpot:

Back