Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Don't know much about him but his QB is moving up draft boards. I enjoy watching Trask play. Is that Mullen or OC?
Pretty sure it's Mullen. He's been on board that spread style of offense since being under Urban Meyer at Bowling Green (guiding Josh Harris), then following him to Utah (Alex Smith) and Florida (Chris Leak, Tebow) before taking his own program over and doing well at Miss St. (Dak) and likewise at UF (Trask).

Even if he was in all likelihood just learning early on from Meyer he's been able to take in and translate that info to his own programs with success. Better yet if it is Brian Johnson as his OC now at UF pulling all the offensive strings I appreciate his ability to disseminate and delegate the info to his top lieutenant, which is an absolute paramount task as an NFL HC.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Greg Roman has been mentioned as a HC candidate. The Ravens have some OL injuries, but the offense went from #2 in yards to #23 this year. Jackson recently said opposing defenses are calling out their offensive plays and WRs are complaining about lack of catches.

Although it's intriguing that Roman has been able to develop offenses built around his QBs, I don't think the current Ravens' offense is an exact fit for Watson. I don't think that offense is sustainable with Jackson running as much as he does. I am intrigue with the running game, formations and how Roman gets TEs involved in the game plan.

Any thoughts on Roman after the drop in the Ravens' 2020 offense? If defenses are catching up to the Ravens' offense, it will be interesting to see how or if he can counter.

Last edited:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Greg Roman has been mentioned as a HC candidate. The Ravens have some OL injuries, but the offense went from #2 in yards to #23 this year. Jackson recently said opposing defenses are calling out their offensive plays and WRs are complaining about lack of catches.

Although it's intriguing that Roman has been able to develop offenses built around his QBs, I don't think the current Ravens' offense is an exact fit for Watson. I don't think that offense is sustainable with Jackson running as much as he does. I am intrigue with the running game, formations and how Roman gets TEs involved in the game plan.

Any thoughts on Roman after the drop in the Ravens' 2020 offense? If defenses are catching up to the Ravens' offense, it will be interesting to see how it counters.
I don't think Roman would be running the current Ravens offense here with Watson. He's obviously limited in the kind of passing attack he can manufacture with Jackson's deficiencies on that end. He wouldn't have those exact same limitations here. He wouldn't run a full-time wildcat offense here. He threw the ball around more with Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo and with Kaepernick in SF and I think most of us would agree Watson is a better passer than the two of them.

No idea if it would work like a charm here, but it wouldn't be slowed for the same reasons we're seeing now in Baltimore.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think the Tyrod Taylor offense was what Kaep needed either. And I don't think the Kaep offense was what Jackson's needed either. And I think Roman was aware of those differences, hence the successes they had. And I don't think he'd all of a sudden be unaware of that with DW.
So it sounds like you think I'm wrong calling Baltimore's offense the Kaepernick offense?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Eric B is my first choice. I like Robert Saleh from the niners. Brian Daboll I like as well.

No to Harbaugh, Art Briles (disgusting), any Patriots coach
See my thread about GM candidates. Seems like a link to the very same guy we got hit with tampering charges over is Caps choice...with Eric as the HC. Watson has already said he likes Eric. So, seems kinda like it might be who we are after.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Out of curiosity why do some teams have passing and running game coordinators and others don't? Even with the Chiefs, they promoted Mike Kafka to passing game coordinator. It would seem whoever gets the HC job, June Jones would be a great passing game coordinator

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Out of curiosity why do some teams have passing and running game coordinators and others don't? Even with the Chiefs, they promoted Mike Kafka to passing game coordinator. It would seem whoever gets the HC job, June Jones would be a great passing game coordinator
Some teams use the title offensive assistant or something non-descript. Like Carl Smith is probably doing the same for us, but with a different title.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one

What think ye?
Scares me.
His D has regressed year on year for the last 4 years. He hasn’t ‘coached up’ talent on his side of the ball.
I’d assume he’ll employ the same E-P offensive system from the Belichick tree whether he keeps the same OC or not.

Texian

Hall of Fame

What think ye?
This would be a typical Cal McNair move, simply because it is the easiest way out for Cal. Cal shies away from anything that is difficult or hard because he has never been trained to deal with it. Cal is more like a band aid boy. You got a boo boo, put a band aid on it. RC is a band aid.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
This would be a typical Cal McNair move, simply because it is the easiest way out for Cal. Cal shies away from anything that is difficult or hard because he has never been trained to deal with it. Cal is more like a band aid boy. You got a boo boo, put a band aid on it.
to be fair we haven’t see what Cal is made of yet. He better not do this.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Can’t interview coaches due to COVID-19? Did Easterby bring that up when he influenced Cal to fire O’Brien and hire a search committee? Waste another year with this cast of misfit coaches?

Easterby is a cancer and has to go. He’s the worst thing to ever happen to this organization. And that says volumes.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

What think ye?
Gives easterby a chance to solidify and maintain his authority. Its a power play.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I've never hoped the Texans would lose a game (well, maybe that 2005 game vs the Niners). But if getting a few worthless wins in this abortion of a season gets another year of Easterby and the worst coaching staff in the league, I want the Texans to lose out the rest of the way.

"Can't do face to face interviews"... they could use Zoom, or RingCentral or Webex like every other business in the rest of the world right now. But nah, it's the Texans, they're special and only face to face interviews will do. Morons.

I wish I could say I'm back in with the Texans now that O'Brien is gone but honestly, I'm not. Until Easterby is gone, I'm staying away. Hiring Romeo for 2021 as the head coach would be another obviously stupid move - a common trend since O'Brien was given so much power in the organization and which will continue until Easterby is gone.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
"Can't do face to face interviews"... they could use Zoom, or RingCentral or Webex like every other business in the rest of the world right now. But nah, it's the Texans, they're special and only face to face interviews will do. Morons.
Atlanta will be looking for new GM and HC. The Jets, Jags, and Lions will almost certainly fire their HCs. Maybe the Vikings and even the Cowboys. None of these teams will do in person interviews? Or will all of them do in person interviews? There couldn't be a less transparent attempt by Easterby to keep his undeserved position.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've never hoped the Texans would lose a game (well, maybe that 2005 game vs the Niners). But if getting a few worthless wins in this abortion of a season gets another year of Easterby and the worst coaching staff in the league, I want the Texans to lose out the rest of the way.
Well if you read the article, nothing about Crennel’s performance this year is cited as a reason he might carry over.

Hopefully this is code for, “The guy we want will probably be dealing with an extended post season due to COVID”

I’ve been saying Romeo doesn’t want to be a HC in this league. But he’s a good soldier & will do whatever is asked of him.

Worst case scenario they may be buying time for Anthony Weaver to make a case for HC.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Worst case scenario they may be buying time for Anthony Weaver to make a case for HC.
Huh??? He'll be lucky to get a job as a d-line coach next year.

I don't care what the article states. I'm reading the tea leaves. No way Romeo gets the job with a 2 win season. End up 6-10, and you can hear the excuses for giving him the job.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't care what the article states. I'm reading the tea leaves. No way Romeo gets the job with a 2 win season. End up 6-10, and you can hear the excuses for giving him the job.
That’s kind of like saying, “no way they promote BO’b after such a horrible play-off loss.”

I mean the excuses for giving him the job have already started. COVID-19

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Can’t interview coaches due to COVID-19? Did Easterby bring that up when he influenced Cal to fire O’Brien and hire a search committee? Waste another year with this cast of misfit coaches?

Easterby is a cancer and has to go. He’s the worst thing to ever happen to this organization. And that says volumes.
This appears to be the consensus around the league. I was stunned by the Texans actually firing OB so maybe they will surprise me again and get rid of Easterby this offseason.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
Cal is going to save money. He is not going to lock in anyone with this lineup. 2022 is when we get new leadership

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

What think ye?

I'd say there's less than an 0.0001% chance this happens.

From what I've heard from more than one source , their list of coaches is One and RAC is not on that list.

Edit: If that guy doesn't ultimately take the job , its because he found another HC position more appealing.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The next HC will have his hands full with these owners, players and lack of draft capital.

To be honest what great coach; veteran/new and on the rise would want to actually come here.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The next HC will have his hands full with these owners, players and lack of draft capital.

To be honest what great coach; veteran/new and on the rise would want to actually come here.

There's only 32 of these jobs in the world .... and a whole lot of candidates who would love to fill them.

Who'd take this job ? The guy who didn't get one of the other 31 ..... this would be the last one you take.

Chris

Waterboy
What about Matt Eberflus, the Colts DC? He has the #1 overall defense in the league in yards, passing and points and they're 3rd in takeaways. His resume is quite impressive. He could be the surprise hire for the Texans.

Last edited:

MistaRed

Rookie
What about Matt Eberflus, the Colts DC? He has the #1 overall defense in the league in yards, passing and points and they're 3rd in takeaways. His resume is quite impressive. He could be the surprise hire for the Texans.
I’d be okay with this but I’m concerned about who’d he get to run the offense.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
This would be a typical Cal McNair move, simply because it is the easiest way out for Cal. Cal shies away from anything that is difficult or hard because he has never been trained to deal with it. Cal is more like a band aid boy. You got a boo boo, put a band aid on it. RC is a band aid.
I agree. But, Cal is not going to get a guy like Gruden (example only) to come here. He probably thinks it's because of no high picks. But realistically it's because of things that have happened to many here. You are a McNair guy or a nobody. Watson knows that, why do you think that he suddenly is all over Cal? I mean a 4th year player helping pick a Hc and GM!? JJ maybe, but not a young guy. No disrespect to Watson here but I don't think many top HC canidates are going to be all over the job if they know some players come before them.

Keeping Romeo would not shock me. And then you have draft picks in 2022 draft (2021 coming up right?) and you can see if anyone good bites at the job.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I agree. But, Cal is not going to get a guy like Gruden (example only) to come here. He probably thinks it's because of no high picks. But realistically it's because of things that have happened to many here. You are a McNair guy or a nobody. Watson knows that, why do you think that he suddenly is all over Cal? I mean a 4th year player helping pick a Hc and GM!? JJ maybe, but not a young guy. No disrespect to Watson here but I don't think many top HC canidates are going to be all over the job if they know some players come before them.

Keeping Romeo would not shock me. And then you have draft picks in 2022 draft (2021 coming up right?) and you can see if anyone good bites at the job.
You're preaching to the choir. I've been saying for years that no self respecting HC or GM with a proven winning track record is going to be a part of the dumpster fire known as the Houston Texans. Their only hope is catching lightning in a bottle with a rookie HC or GM. They had it close to right with Kubiak but when they got to 100 ft. from striking oil, they abandoned the well.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Funny, I'm listening to NFL Radio (End Zone) and they are parroting exactly what I've been saying about the Texans. Lions ownership is raw.....essentially football dumb. They are recommending that she (Ford) hire a football czar type to come in and make sure there is a real football mind in the house to help select a GM and then work with the new GM to help select a solid HC and staff.

I don't think the Texans would get a lot of pushback if they reached out to Bill Polian as a consultant/mentor for the McNair's so he could really teach them what is involved in building a championship organization. I absolutely believe a young Eliot Wolf would be as good a young GM in the NFL today to work with Polian in getting him grounded as a long term GM answer. I also feel like Wolf could easily bring Alonzo Highsmith along as Assistant GM / Director of Player Personnel. What I like about both (and the fact that it was discussed on the radio as to how imperative it is for the Lions to a find a new GM that has the ability to identify talent) is their abundant knowledge and talent at identifying talent. The benefit of having Polian on hand would be the experience in helping selecting a new HC versus having a first time GM making the choice on his own.

Last edited: