Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Same as the GM thread. Let’s discuss our options for HC.

1. Eric Bieniemy, OC KC. Obviously his creativity and scheme seem to fit Watson really well. He comes from a great coaching pedigree and has experience as a play caller. Our skill players would fit in well with his system. He was the Minnesota RB coach when AP was dominating the league and helped create amazing runners in KC before becoming the OC.

2. Robert Saleh, DC SF. If you want a defensive minded guy, look no further than Saleh. This guy has guys playing tough and took a bad defense and two years later has them as one of the best. He is young and might not be ready to lead a team, but there is no denying what he was able to accomplish.

3. Greg Roman, OC Baltimore. This guy has created systems to perfectly fit unique QBs and skill players in his career. He has a track record with different QBs to prove his worth. His skill set might line up the best with Watson.

4. Byron Leftwich, OC Tampa Bay. He doesn’t have a huge track record, but what he did with Jameis was impressive. TB is going some things well this year, but his scheme may not be ideal for Watson.

5. Josh McDaniels, OC Patriots. You all know about him.

6. Brian Daboll OC, Bills. He has had an up and down career, but he is really helping Josh Allen shine.

One thing that is important for me is no retreads and I prefer a younger HC with innovative ideas. The NFL is evolving and older coaches stuck in their ways has been a theme for us. I would like to break that mold. Eric and Greg seem to be the most ideal for our roster and Watson. I do not prefer a defensive minded coach. The turnover on the offensive side could be devastating if we do not have a constant offensive mind.

Last edited:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

1. Eric Bieniemy, OC KC. Obviously his creativity and scheme seem to fit Watson really well. He comes from a great coaching pedigree and has experience as a play caller. Our skill players would fit in well with his system. He was the Minnesota RB coach when AP was dominating the league and helped create amazing runners in KC before becoming the OC.

2. Robert Saleh, DC SF. If you want a defensive minded guy, look no further than Saleh. This guy has guys playing tough and took a bad defense and two years later has them as one of the best. He is young and might not be ready to lead a team, but there is no denying what he was able to accomplish.

3. Greg Roman, OC Baltimore. This guy has created systems to perfectly fit unique QBs and skill players in his career. He has a track record with different QBs to prove his worth. His skill set might line up the best with Watson.

4. Byron Leftwich, OC Tampa Bay. He doesn’t have a huge track record, but what he did with Jameis was impressive. TB is going some things well this year, but his scheme may not be ideal for Watson.

One thing that is important for me is no retreads and I prefer a younger HC with innovative ideas. The NFL is evolving and older coaches stuck in their ways has been a theme for us. I would like to break that mold. Eric and Greg seem to be the most ideal for our roster and Watson. I do not prefer a defensive minded coach. The turnover on the offensive side could be devastating if we do not have a constant offensive mind.
So no Andy Reid, Belichick, Arians or Payton's for you? Unfortunately, a lot of the current retreads were originally up and coming coordinators, just like the group of current HCs I mentioned. FWIW, I would be OK with anyone on your list, but who would Saleh be able to bring in as OC? I doubt any of the other guys on the list would be willing to make a lateral move to a team in draft pick hell for another year.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
So no Andy Reid, Belichick, Arians or Payton's for you? Unfortunately, a lot of the current retreads were originally up and coming coordinators, just like the group of current HCs I mentioned. FWIW, I would be OK with anyone on your list, but who would Saleh be able to bring in as OC? I doubt any of the other guys on the list would be willing to make a lateral move to a team in draft pick hell for another year.
Lol I don’t want the guys who have tried and failed already. None of them excite me. I am not a fan of hiring a DC as head coach.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Id actually go for some one that was a defense coach......dont know who though
Give me one of these innovative offensive minds that will know how to use Watson. That’s your biggest asset that you can’t waste any more time with. I think getting the offense going can be pretty quick.

The defense is going to take awhile to overhaul with the restrictions they have, cap issues, no draft picks.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Are there any proven successful NFL HC's out there?

H_Town_Gaucho

Waterboy
And poppers?
Great idea!!! And I'll call Jimmy Johnson and offer him a couple of dozen free poppers a week along with some Billy Gibbons guacamole if he will become our new GM. Oh boy!!! They are both looking to get back at numbnuts in Dallas anyway..

badboy

Hall of Fame

6. Brian Daboll OC, Bills. He has had an up and down career, but he is really helping Josh Allen shine.

If top two have similar thought plans:
Bieniemy HC
Greg Roman Assistant HC offense play caller and Watson new best friend
Robert Saleh Assistant HC defense.
Borgonzi GM

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I have a queasy feeling they'll hire Josh McDaniel and mire the franchise in a half decade of mediocrity
That or call up Kubes or Capers after proving they were the superior to OB this week. :kitten:

The pessimist in me says no matter who they pick, they will pick the wrong one..... but...... for now..... I do something I havent done in a long time....... hope.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I want Greg Roman.
Texans need Greg Roman.

I want a guy who is responsible for the entire offense. I like Bieniemy and would not be upset with that hire, but Reid is what makes that engine go imo.

Roman has done well with mobile qbs. Kaep,Tyrod and now Jackson. And I think Deshaun’s Skillset is closer to those guys than it is to Mahomes. Mahomeshas good mobility, but that dude is a football thrower. He is a distributor of the rock like a pg picking defenses apart. He just has a better arm and sees the field differently.

Not to make this a Watson thread, but I think he needs to have more designed plays that take advantage of his running ability. There’s easy yards to be picked up that have been left on the field simply due to over complicating things.

I think Roman matches well with Watson, and based on his background and reading about him he seems extremely flexible. Willing to take chances and try things based on his personnel. I also like that he’s Been in and around multiple organizations so he probably has a good idea of what to avoid and what to incorporate.
Plus he seems like the kind of upbeat personality this team will need next year.

So yeah, he’s the guy I’m hoping for.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I want Greg Roman.
Texans need Greg Roman.

I want a guy who is responsible for the entire offense. I like Bieniemy and would not be upset with that hire, but Reid is what makes that engine go imo.

Roman has done well with mobile qbs. Kaep,Tyrod and now Jackson. And I think Deshaun’s Skillset is closer to those guys than it is to Mahomes. Mahomeshas good mobility, but that dude is a football thrower. He is a distributor of the rock like a pg picking defenses apart. He just has a better arm and sees the field differently.

Not to make this a Watson thread, but I think he needs to have more designed plays that take advantage of his running ability. There’s easy yards to be picked up that have been left on the field simply due to over complicating things.

I think Roman matches well with Watson, and based on his background and reading about him he seems extremely flexible. Willing to take chances and try things based on his personnel. I also like that he’s Been in and around multiple organizations so he probably has a good idea of what to avoid and what to incorporate.
Plus he seems like the kind of upbeat personality this team will need next year.

So yeah, he’s the guy I’m hoping for.
I can see it, but I might push back with Bienemy. I look at some of the creative thing Nagy tries to do with Trubisky, but he wasn't capable. It seems people, not particularly you try to downplay Bienemy because of Andy, but Nagy and Peterson were on the same path.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Not sure how you'd lure any of these top young assistant coaches, some in Super Bowl situations to come here with little wiggle room next couple years?
Money, lots of it.

Plus, the majority of the fan base is on an "Anyone but OB" high right now.... most understanding the dumpster fire they are inheriting. It means time.

The Texans have shown themselves for the most part to be painfully patient. So, IF they create a clean slate.... while not ideal currently, it could be a nice place to step out of somebody elses shadow and cast one for yourself, even if it means a lot of clean up on day one.

People buy ugly houses to fix them up all the time.... we are an ugly house.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Is Kubiak available?
I don't think Kubiak is any longer interested in a HC job.
Last year, when the Broncos fired Vance Joseph, they hired Vic Fangio and wanted Kubiak back on the offensive side.
The report was that Kubiak wanted to retain some of the coaches he's been working with, but Fangio wanted to hired his own.
That was why Kubiak took the Vikings' job, so that the other guys could follow him: Rick Dennison (OL) and Brian Pariani (TE); these two guys have been with Kubiak for a long time now.
And there's also his son, Klint Kubiak (QB coach).

It seems to me that Kubiak is still very fond of the Texans, according to what was going pregame last game.

I think it would be good if the Texans can get him back as an OC/Special Assistant to the HC, but obviously, he'd want more control on the offensive side.
I don't know how it would work in a HC search.

Because as we've seen, even though Vic Fangio said "he's interested if Gary is interested", it didn't work out in Denver.

Getting Kubiak as an OC would fix a lot of things quickly, especially that Offensive Line, with Dennison's proven experience. Pariani and Klint have also been performing well at their task as I've digging into their profile and check up on them.

Perhaps when they conduct their HC search, they could have discussion with those candidates about the matter.

Kubiak was a major reason Kevin Stefanski get that HC gig with the Browns this year.
And it looks like they've been doing a pretty good job of fixing Mayfield and that offense so far.

Last edited:
How about Brian Schottenheimer? He is the offensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks. In the past I read where fans and critics of the teams he was OC of had issues with him and wanted him fired. Mainly he was said to try to run the football too often. However as of this season he seems to have listened to his critics and has Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks offense off to a great start. Also it can't hurt that he is the son of Marty Schottenheimer who was once one of the winningest head coaches in the NFL. I also think if Kyle Shanahan can have success following in his fathers footsteps than I see no reason Brian Schottenheimer should not get a chance to do the same.

Last edited:

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
EB, Daboll and Roman. EB clearly calls the plays and his attention to detail is top notch, ours sucks b@lls, also the WCO he likes would serve us well.
Roman has proven he can get a lot out of lesser mobile QB's than DW4, he is clearly the offensive engine, my only reserve is I have heard he does not have the leadership gene. Would need to hear from more people on that as we are hiring a head coach, not an OC first.
Daboll is my third, but a pretty good job up in Buffalo with a young athletic QB.
If Dabo would come to have a go (can not see it), would give him a go.

I think Kubiak would be a great OC for EB, someone to lean on as a new head coach, and a proven commodity as long as he takes the HC input but I never heard any noise out of Minnesota, Denver or Baltimore so he seems to know how to take the direction after being the man.

sign a sb winning hc and call it a day
That's not necessarily the answer. There are plenty of SB winning hc who failed to have the same success when they returned to coach a different team. If you are thinking along the lines of Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy and other such coaches it may not work out as planned.

I think the trend at the moment is to give opportunities to young successful coordinators. It seems to be working around the league.

I was with you on hiring a SB winning head coach but I don't think SB winning head coaches have the track record of success when trying to win SB's with more than one team. I could be wrong. I tried googling the info but had a hard time finding it. Maybe you or some others on this forum can find what I can't.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That's not necessarily the answer. There are plenty of SB winning hc who failed to have the same success when they returned to coach a different team. If you are thinking along the lines of Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy and other such coaches it may not work out as planned.

I think the trend at the moment is to give opportunities to young successful coordinators. It seems to be working around the league.

I was with you on hiring a SB winning head coach but I don't think SB winning head coaches have the track record of success when trying to win SB's with more than one team. I could be wrong. I tried googling the info but had a hard time finding it. Maybe you or some others on this forum can find what I can't.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/26/super-bowl-coaches-dick-vermeil-mike-holmgren-bill-parcells-john-fox-don-shula-dan-reeves

Coordinators are coordinators for a reason. Hire a sharp HC from the college ranks.
Plenty of coordinators do well once they become HC's. College HC's are not any more likely succeed as NFL HC's. In fact the track record for college HC's becoming HC's in the NFL is not all that good.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Not sure how you'd lure any of these top young assistant coaches, some in Super Bowl situations to come here with little wiggle room next couple years?
Money and stability.

Probably get 1 or 2 year grace period + Texans have shown to be a patient organization.

And I think a lot of offensive minded coaches would love to work with Watson.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Whoever gets the gig, there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth by some disgruntled closeted O'Brien fans.

I'd like either Roman or Bienemy. I'd settle for a defensive minded HC like Robert Saleh or Matt Eberflus. I'm thinking of a pairing between Robert Saleh (SF DC) with KC QB coach Mike Kafka becoming the OC/Asst HC in Houston.

Last edited: