Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidates

So if Denver hires Ryans it’s for the right reasons, but if the Texans hire the same guy it’s for the wrong reasons.

Now that is some convoluted reasoning. And you already have your out. If he does well, it’s not because Nick tapped the best guy, it’s blind squirrel finding a nut. And if he doesn’t work out, it’s I told you so. Nice way to play both sides of the fence.
Now this is a quote from nothing but the truth.

I'm going to leave you with this.

As longtime poster Vinny once said the Houston Texans inc is a marketing company with a football division.

The Ryans hire will fit in perfectly with this mindset. With this said the Ryans hire could be a blind squirrel finds nut scenario.

Y’all have taken what some random guy on the internet said and turned it from a hipster saying to creating a prophet out of Vinny and making his saying into a religion.

Due to NFL rules, the Houston Texans must wait until after Sunday's NFC Championship Game to interview DeMeco Ryans a second time for their vacant head coaching position.
In the meantime, the Texans had to figure out whether Ryans would actually want the job. According to a league source, Houston and team owner Cal McNair weren't sure whether Ryans, who once sued the Texans for negligence, would ultimately want to be the head coach for the team.

Multiple sources have told CBS Sports that's not true. In fact, one source described the Texans job as Ryans' top choice this cycle. As with anything, though, negotiations between both sides would have to continue.

You people act like the Texans can't get anything right. I mean before OB completely destroyed this team we were a play off team every year. We have done some incredible things as a franchise.

Arian Foster - Undrafted and one of the best back in the league until he went Vegan.... dummy.

JJ Watt - Will go down in history as one of the best OF THE BEST.

D Hopkins - Elite still to this day.

A Johnnson - One of the best All time.

The list goes on and on. Why are some of you even fans?

You people act like the Texans can't get anything right. I mean before OB completely destroyed this team we were a play off team every year. We have done some incredible things as a franchise.

Arian Foster - Undrafted and one of the best back in the league until he went Vegan.... dummy.

JJ Watt - Will go down in history as one of the best OF THE BEST.

D Hopkins - Elite still to this day.

A Johnnson - One of the best All time.

The list goes on and on. Why are some of you even fans?
Preach

Ryans, Stiechen, Kafka, Gannon...I'll be different degrees of happy with any of these.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I'll have a much better feeling about any of those hires than I had over the last two..

With Culley my reaction was..who the hell is that guy.. With Lovie I already knew what he was, which kinda made it worse. I hate/hated his defense.

Interesting nugget about Ryans’ defense. Why didn’t Lovie’s zone defense look this pretty?!

5) Who wins the chess match? San Francisco has thrived by trusting its front four to pressure opposing passers and dare quarterbacks to try to find throwing windows against its zone coverage, relying on zone at the highest rate of any playoff team in the Next Gen Stats era at nearly 90 percent of coverage snaps.

I'm going to leave you with this.

As longtime poster Vinny once said the Houston Texans inc is a marketing company with a football division.

The Ryans hire will fit in perfectly with this mindset. With this said the Ryans hire could be a blind squirrel finds nut scenario.

Can't two things be true at the same time?

DeMeco is the best or one of the best candidates.
He's also the candidate that would fill the most seats in Houston.

Unless you're saying he's not a viable candidate?

It's not about records. You can't statistics this. It's overall. Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, Gary Kubiak. All were much better head coaches the second time around. Pete Carroll took a little longer but he became a better NFL head coach. Andy still sucks at game management, he was actually worse in Philly, but he's a much better overall HC now.

One of my guys I talk to who's a high level front office guy believes that first time head coaches should be given a longer leash, given more safe years than guys who've had previous head coaching experience. Everybody makes first timer mistakes, bad hires, bad decisions. You know sooner that an experienced guy isn't gonna work than an inexperienced guy. You think CLE, PHI, HOU, NYJ would be happy with version #2 of the above back in their buildings??

There's so much more on the plate of an NFL head coach that they're always going to make first timer mistakes. Like how to allocate your time vs delegate, who does your game management, who does in game analytics, how much time to spend during the week on your side of the ball meetings vs the opposite side, how do you practice, getting on same page with a GM takes time, bringing coaches you elevated in who hit the ceiling and have to be fired, who/how much do you trust in your medical staff, who manages your media time/preps you and are they good at their job, time lost due to interfacing with your owners, plus 100 other things... and then everything family.

You don't just walk into all of that and do everything well. And there's no NFL position for 'guy who follows the head coach everywhere he goes watching everything he does.' All the other coaches are doing their jobs, getting behind on their responsibilities, making their own mistakes. And it's the head coach they go to for guidance. Plus... handling problem players. Matt LaFleur walked into Green Bay and said this is our offense and Aaron Rodgers told him to his face FORK YOU, I'm running what I run and checking to what I see using my 13 years of NFL experience that you don't have. Rodgers was ignoring LaFleur's playcalls and calling what he wanted. That was an issue the first time head coach needed (a lot of) time to work through. NFL hires a first time HC and fires him two years later and they don't even know who it is they're firing because the guy is not a finished product yet.

Very well put. I pray IF,and it seems to be going to happen, Meco is hired...that someone like Kubiak is brought in to help him. Gary would 100% do it, and if he is an advisor he would not have to do as much. Atleast I don't think he would as an OC or HC. I think Meco has the ability to be a SB winner if he is mentored. He knows Kubiak and he would probably welcome him to a staff he would build as someone to lean on as he learns the necessary things to go solo in the NFL.

Just my .02 cents

Can't two things be true at the same time?

DeMeco is the best or one of the best candidates.
He's also the candidate that would fill the most seats in Houston.

Unless you're saying he's not a viable candidate?
I'm saying that

1. I don't like how the hiring process went down.
2. Nothing has changed down on Kirby
3. I'm rooting for Demeco to succeed
4. If Demeco succeeds it will be inspite of the McNair's.

Y’all have taken what some random guy on the internet said and turned it from a hipster saying to creating a prophet out of Vinny and making his saying into a religion.
This only happened because Vinny spoke the truth. It wouldn't have taken off if people didn't believe that what he said was the truth and this is just the latest example of what Vinny was talking about.
With that said, we're all rooting for Demeco to succeed.

Vinny had personal interactions with the Texans organization and spoke with first hand knowledge.

That’s all good but how long ago was that and how much has changed in the last 3 years? Cal and Hannah are running things. No Roots. No Bob.

Even if he goes to Denver?
Yes

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with Demeco. I like Demeco and think he will do a good job, even though he's not who I would've hired.

This is about the McNair's and how nothing has changed in how they do business. This is what bothers me most and why after two decades I dont expect much at all to change when it comes to bringing a Lombardi to Kirby.

I'm saying that

1. I don't like how the hiring process went down.
2. Nothing has changed down on Kirby
3. I'm rooting for Demeco to succeed
4. If Demeco succeeds it will be inspite of the McNair's.

1. but you don’t know how the actual hiring process went down. And it’s not like they hired demeco already
4. It seems like no matter what the McNairs do, it will never be right to some people……which I find quite sad

Reactions: JB
1. but you don’t know how the actual hiring process went down. And it’s not like they hired demeco already
4. It seems like no matter what the McNairs do, it will never be right to some people……which I find quite sad
2 decades of doing the same things over and over again is quite sad.

Yes

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with Demeco. I like Demeco and think he will do a good job, even though he's not who I would've hired.

This is about the McNair's and how nothing has changed in how they do business. This is what bothers me most and why after two decades I dont expect much at all to change when it comes to bringing a Lombardi to Kirby.

I must have missed the press release where DeMeco was hired. Can't wait to see him in his new H-Town blue hoodie on the sidelines.

When compared to the last two years of questionable candidates (McCown, Hines ward etc)…….just maybe nick/McNair are doing things differently this time around

It certainly appears that way. Can't wait for the decision. I just keep hoping that something finally goes right for this snake bit team.

That’s all good but how long ago was that and how much has changed in the last 3 years? Cal and Hannah are running things. No Roots. No Bob.
I'm just clarifying how the statement came about. I personally have no idea how much things have changed for better or worse.

but you don’t know how the actual hiring process went down.
We pretty much know how the process went down, this time. The Texans released a list of candidates. Interviewed them via zoom and or in person. We don't know how the deliberations went. Or the negotiations. But everything else seemed transparent. Unlike Cal & Jack's midnight flight to hire Caserio.

Few if any have mentioned the part Nick Caserio may have played in getting the McNair’s onboard with interviewing Demeco Ryans. I believe the Texans/McNair’s were fine with the initial group of coaches interviewed…..and could’ve selected a HC from that group that many on this board (including me) would’ve been fine with. Somehow, DR got in for an interview and in short order became the favorite to be hired. He’s been successful with the 49’ers b/c they have a great organization and he’s just one of the pieces that allow it to happen.

I think Caserio had to convince the McNair’s of the potential financial gains to get them to look past DR’s lawsuit which included the them. That may have been why Ryans was a later arrival. So, I can see DR being a Caserio selection and he finally got the McNair blessing to pursue. Yeah….potential money outweighs most other issues at the top.

I’m going to guess that Demeco may not want his staff being dictated and will interview the current staff still on the payroll to see how they fit his desired schemes. I really don’t see many making the cut, but Ross (STC) should be at the head of class as to one coach he’ll want to retain.

Also…..Walton’s money can’t buy the Broncos out of their current and upcoming cap situation. I’m fairly certain no one is sure what they have in Russel Wilson…..outside of being a money pit at the moment. The offense has questions, but their defense is pretty solid.

Texans bring a clean slate to the table along with some fairly nice pieces on both sides of the ball. The offense needs a more and a much better identity. The defense, I believe is close, and may need a few more pieces to become much stronger. Ditching Lovie’s Tampa “Bend But Don’t Break” 2 Defense will be a welcome sight for the defensive personnel. I believe this could be far more exciting to Demeco….and getting to do this in Houston would simply be the cherry on top.

Maybe Demeco could convince AJ and JJ to come and join his staff as position consultants to cut their chops in the NFL coaching ranks.

Last edited:
Few if any have mentioned the part Nick Caserio may have played in getting the McNair’s onboard with interviewing Demeco Ryans. I believe the Texans/McNair’s were fine with the initial group of coaches interviewed…..and could’ve selected a HC from that group that many on this board (including me) would’ve been fine with. Somehow, DR got in for an interview and in short order became the favorite to be hired. He’s been successful with the 49’ers b/c they have a great organization and he’s just one of the pieces that allow it to happen.

I think Caserio had to convince the McNair’s of the potential financial gains to get them to look past DR’s lawsuit which included the them. That may have been why Ryans was a later arrival. So, I can see DR being a Caserio selection and finally a McNair blessing. Yeah….potential money outweighs most other issues at the top.

I’m going to guess that Demeco may not want his staff being dictated and will interview the current staff still on the payroll to see how they fit his desired schemes. I really don’t see many making the cut, but Ross (STC) should be at the head of class as to one coach he’ll want to retain.

Also…..Walton’s money can’t buy the Broncos out of their current and upcoming cap situation. I’m fairly certain no one is sure what they have in Russel Wilson…..outside of being a money pit at the moment. The offense has questions, but their defense is pretty solid.

Texans bring a clean slate to the table along with some fairly nice pieces on both sides of the ball. The offense needs a more and a much better identity. The defense, I believe is close, and may need a few more pieces to become much stronger. Ditching Lovie’s Tampa “Bend But Don’t Break” 2 Defense will be a welcome sight for the defensive personnel. I believe this could be far more exciting to Demeco….and getting to do this in Houston would simply be the cherry on top.

Maybe Demeco could convince AJ and JJ to come and join his staff as position consultants to cut their chops in the NFL coaching ranks.
I like the idea of JJ coming on board as I know he has much to offer in training tips for those that lack his skills. Problem is, his wife is playing soccer with a Chicago team right?

I thought AJ wanted more of a front office type of role moving forward in the nfl. Well that was until easterby got to him. Speaking of, maybe he should be the character coach. Teaching about giving back to the community and not taking crap from mouthy titan cbs.

JJ will probably take a year just being a dad since he just retired. After that though i could see him coming on as something like associate/assistant d-line coach or whatever. Though we all know how he dedicates himself fully for one thing. So he may just put all his focus on family.

I like the idea of JJ coming on board as I know he has much to offer in training tips for those that lack his skills. Problem is, his wife is playing soccer with a Chicago team right?
We’re all entitled to our opinions & they all stink. My stinky opinion is talk like this makes me not want Demeco as it seems more fan based that solid football decision based.

Back