Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidates

Maybe it's the waiting. I don't recall days of the "media" reporting a HC signing without any official word of the HC signing.

Maybe it's the waiting. I don't recall days of the "media" reporting a HC signing without any official word of the HC signing.

39d8955881cd3c7a12b8fa0c97ddecd4.jpg

Denver is getting a good coach, but they're paying to much for it. I wonder what the draft picks are they are sending to NO?
Denver won a Super Bowl with a coach that couldn't get the Texans past the Divisional Round & didn't know when to quit on a QB.

Just saying, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Who do you think gets to the playoffs first?

I'm going to say, I don't think anyone ever wanted Jonathan Gannon in Houston as the HC. I mean no one who interviewed him. No one who interviewed him for the Texans & that no one wanted him to coach their team for a second time...

We had a crappy list of "prospects" last season. & he didn't shake out on top. He was the last man standing. If he was truly their guy last season, I think he would have been hired this season.

But we had a damn good list of "prospects" this time around & he was not at the top of the list.

His defense is good. He's probably a good coach, but it's not only the Texans that passed on him twice.

He might be the next Andy Reid, I don't know. But my main point is I do not believe he was "the choice" last season. Just last man standing.

Denver won a Super Bowl with a coach that couldn't get the Texans past the Divisional Round & didn't know when to quit on a QB.

Just saying, I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Who do you think gets to the playoffs first?

Houston is not going to the playoffs in 2023 no matter who the head coach is. Denver has a much better chance of that if that's what you're asking. If DeMeco is as magical as everyone hopes he is, I can see the Texans battling for a wild card spot in 2024. If they continue to draft well.

Houston is not going to the playoffs in 2023 no matter who the head coach is.

You are probably right....

But this division really doesn't scare me. Jaguars won the division at 1 game over .500

You can argue that the Texans really underperformed this year as well.

I'm not going to say Demeco "SHOULD" make the playoffs next season, but I think it's possible...

This team is in position to infuse some serious talent this off season with the draft...

They also have some options in Free Agency...

Then again, maybe this team is as sorry as you think they are and I'm being a little optimistic since I probably watched ~7 quarters total of Texans football last season.

But this division really doesn't scare me. Jaguars won the division at 1 game over .500

I'm not going to say Demeco "SHOULD" make the playoffs next season, but I think it's possible...

This team is in position to infuse some serious talent this off season with the draft...

Then again, maybe this team is as sorry as you think they are and I'm being a little optimistic since I probably watched ~7 quarters total of Texans football last season.

With the right free agent acquisitions and an excellent draft after we hire the right OC and DC, that's entirely possible. It's certainly not as if it's never been done before. If DeMeco does do it, he might as well just run for mayor next. And he'd probably win. LOL

I'm going to say, I don't think anyone ever wanted Jonathan Gannon in Houston as the HC. I mean no one who interviewed him. No one who interviewed him for the Texans & that no one wanted him to coach their team for a second time...

We had a crappy list of "prospects" last season. & he didn't shake out on top. He was the last man standing. If he was truly their guy last season, I think he would have been hired this season.

But we had a damn good list of "prospects" this time around & he was not at the top of the list.

His defense is good. He's probably a good coach, but it's not only the Texans that passed on him twice.

He might be the next Andy Reid, I don't know. But my main point is I do not believe he was "the choice" last season. Just last man standing.

Texans were pulling the ultimate tank job for coaching and we didn’t even see it -

Being dumb for DeMeco.

A change in philosophy and coaching can go a long way. The Texans biggest issue on defense last few years has been tackling. YAC (after contact and after the catch) has been a huge issue. If Cap can instill the necessity of proper tackling, the Texans D should be much improved. Getting an OC that can actually call a game and call plays that accentuate the positive qualities of the offensive players will be a plus. I don't think the team is as devoid of talent as you do. Many Texans cast offs were in the playoffs this year. You can't underestimate coaching.

This isn't about whether Ryans is the guy or not. In fact I like Ryans and think he's got a good chance of achieving some level of success. No championships will occur as long as the McNair's own the team except if they have dumb luck like the Bengals did getting Burrow and it doesn't even appear they can get this right.

I dont like how the hiring process went down, the McNair's should've just come out and said, we're going to hire the guy that will put butts in the seats and we're going to do the same with the draft and the QB position. This is why despite the draft pick compensation I wanted the hire to be Payton. This kinda crap wouldn't be happening. Actually the McNair's should've just come out and told the fanbase they were going to hire the HC/QB that would make them the most money and be done with it. Winning be damned.
You still haven't answered of why he's not the best candidate.

You still haven't answered of why he's not the best candidate.

All of them are great candidates.

I would've gone with Payton because he's an experienced offensive HC.

My preference was Kalfka if not Payton because I wanted an offensive HC. But that's not saying I think Ryans is a bad hire. In fact I think he's got a chance to be a good hire. But I want to see who his staff is before I make that judgement.

All of them are great candidates.

I would've gone with Payton because he's an experienced offensive HC.

My preference was Kalfka if not Payton because I wanted an offensive HC. But that's not saying I think Ryans is a bad hire. In fact I think he's got a chance to be a good hire. But I want to see who his staff is before I make that judgement.
Yeah, I preferred an offensive guy, but McDermott has shown you can do well coming from the defensive side of the ball. Wasn't that high on Kafka, but I understand why people were. I liked Payton too honestly. Ryans just feels right, but his staff is going to make the biggest difference like Vrabel. Cal has shown he will pay for coaches, so getting his staff together shouldn't be a problem

Yeah, I preferred an offensive guy, but McDermott has shown you can do well coming from the defensive side of the ball. Wasn't that high on Kafka, but I understand why people were. I liked Payton too honestly. Ryans just feels right, but his staff is going to make the biggest difference like Vrabel. Cal has shown he will pay for coaches, so getting his staff together shouldn't be a problem
I wanted Kafka, wasn't interested in trading for Payton... scared as heck the McNairs was going to make a non-football decision because of Demeco's history here.

I have no idea if Demeco is the best candidate. I don't know if any of them are the "best" candidate. I've not been in any interviews & don't know them from Adam.

I'm hoping this is a happy accident.

But I thought the same about Lovie before the season.

Ryans could assemble a strong coaching staff. That could include 49ers passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik as an offensive coordinator possibility, 49ers defensive line coach Kris Kocurek as a defensive coordinator candidate and New York Jets safeties coach Marquand Manuel, who’s also a candidate for the Carolina Panthers’ defensive coordinator position. Another 49ers assistant linked to a possible Ryans staff is safeties coach Daniel Bullocks As per KPRC

Back