Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Caserio can wear the headset and work with Pep during the games. Lovie and Romeo are there for added HC advice. And McCown gets experience as an OC and pray with Easterby in their free time.
I'd still be surprised if McCown comes in higher than QB coach. If he does, then Nick is not the guy I thought he was.

In New England most coaches started as an offensive assistant, lower than a position coach. Bill O'Brien had nearly 20 years coaching experience at the college level before someone recommended him to Belichick. & he started at Offensive Assistant

I think this is what Belichick was talking about "training" instead of "retraining" every body when he started in New England. & why his "students" fail outside of New England. Coaches need to be coached.

Have all the HC positions now been filled with the exception of the Texans?

NOTE: Miami and New Orleans have not been filled.

Last edited:
Pederson is a good hire as a coach himself but the way it happened was ridiculous. They should have hired Leftwich. Surprised they couldn't close the deal.

Why would Nick want Josh? Other than Jack, where's the connection?

Erhardt always featured a big TE running the seams or crossing routes. Eric Green, Mark Bavarro, Russ Francis. When have the Texans ever done that? When Watson was here, it never made sense to run that offense. But what about before that? I don't see why Casario would be married to anything like an Erhardt offense.
The connection between Caserio and McCown is last Jan 2021's interview. It's been stated that McCown really impressed.

Seeing the candidates for the HC job one thing sticks out. Lack of HC experience. Aside from Flores who I don’t believe is a realistic candidate after the lawsuit.

Caserio wants to be the #1 person in charge and its no secret that a HC like Pederson wants say over personnel. And has earned that right given the fact he’s won a Super Bowl as a HC.

But a first time HC… they would have to make more concessions to land one of those coveted NFL HC jobs.

I would have loved to see Jim Harbaugh consider the Texans. But realistically given this team knew he wouldn’t. This is how the Texans will operate for the next few years to see whether a Front Office driven organization rather than HC can win. As a hopelessly addicted fan I hope they finally get it right. Or its several more years getting more entertainment out of the chatter on this forum than watching the actual product put on the field. Which has been the case since the Chiefs playoff game.

Seeing the candidates for the HC job one thing sticks out. Lack of HC experience. Aside from Flores who I don’t believe is a realistic candidate after the lawsuit.

Caserio wants to be the #1 person in charge
Is that why the Rams hired McVey? The Bengals hired Taylor? Is that why the Chargers hired Staley? The Steelers hired Tomlin?

Or does that logic only work in Houston?

We’re getting way off subject guys

My fault, I know. I’m sorry. Let’s get back to head coach candidates

And for every one of those there are 5 failed first time HC experiments.
We’re talking about the why.

Your assertion was this was a Caserio power move. I pointed to other inexperienced coach hires & asked if they were power grabs.

Is that why the Rams hired McVey? The Bengals hired Taylor? Is that why the Chargers hired Staley? The Steelers hired Tomlin?

Or does that logic only work in Houston?
All had at least some coaching experience within the ranks. McCown has ZERO experience.

If the Texans don't hire Flores after the interview do you think they will be added to his class action lawsuit? Can Flores multitask the lawsuit and the Texans? I'm concerned that his anger toward the NFL owners will spill over into his team judgements.

He’s the QB coach in Denver now. Got hired on yesterday.

Probably just as well .... the "Culturists" would have manufactured some reason to axe him. "He used what words" ? .... Honesty .... Integrity" .... that ingrate is trying to ruin our Culture .... well, that's it for him .... start a rumor" !

If the Texans don't hire Flores after the interview do you think they will be added to his class action lawsuit? Can Flores multitask the lawsuit and the Texans? I'm concerned that his anger toward the NFL owners will spill over into his team judgements.
Doubt it. He (Flores) went out of the way to tell the Texans he appreciated getting a fair and complete interview.

Reading that Flores is pretty much the guy. Saw this a bit ago, sorry if it's a repost.

And this...which ties to a podcast that I listen to. Stating that due to the connection with the Patriots (Nick C) that Flores is the best candidate to do things similar to the "Patriots Way". Which, like it or not is no question what is trying to be installed here. Proof can be seen in short contracts with plays of an unheard of amount, isn't it like 30 singed now (even if released or traded quickly)? This is a "fast track" method NE has done for years. You get guys who fill positions of need see what they can do in practice and then keep or get rid of them based on performance. All while signing low money deals that are 1yr 2 at most long.

I also have heard rumors a team offered Flores a deal and he put it on the back burner for now. If true... Is it NO who is also interested but isn't connected to NE like Nick Caserio?

Flores is way to much drama. I would be shocked if he lands a job with this lawsuit hanging around. This org is already a circus, do they really want to add the bearded lady to the 3rd ring?

Flores is way to much drama. I would be shocked if he lands a job with this lawsuit hanging around. This org is already a circus, do they really want to add the bearded lady to the 3rd ring?
Can he coach?

I think he would be able to coach & coach well with a strong organization behind him.

Hopefully the Texans understand they’re not that organization.
a-mans-got-to-know-his-limitations-1024x576.jpg

However, Reich, Vrabel, & Pederson I’d feel better if they hire Flores.

Doubt it. He (Flores) went out of the way to tell the Texans he appreciated getting a fair and complete interview.
Despite his appreciation given to the Texans, the Houston Texans are part of the suit. Following his interview, thanks and all, Flores was never told that he was no longer a candidate for the position. Flores in his suit alleges that racially discriminatory actions were made against him by at least three specific NFL teams in his suit: the Miami Dolphins, the New York Giants and the Denver Broncos. But in naming the NFL in discriminatory practices, he is including all of the teams. If he is not chosen as the Texans HC, it leaves the Texans wide open to Flores' "personal" list of teams that specifically discriminated against him.

Last edited:
I readily admit that I haven't read this entire thread, so if I'm being redundant, please forgive me. With the Texans taking so long to hire a new head coach (again), do y'all believe they could be waiting to interview one of the coaches on the two Superbowl bound teams? I sure hope they're not doing what they did last year & end up with egg on their faces again. One coach in particular that jumps out at me, is the Bengal's OC Brian Callahan. His resume with turning offenses around & developing young quarterbacks is impressive. If he doesn't scream HC material, then I don't know who does. Davis Mills showed a lot of promise last year & a guy like Callahan could take him to the next level. It just seems to me that they won't be hiring a defensive minded coach with both Crennel & Lovie already locked in & no offensive coordinator on the team. Then, if they really are serious about bringing in McCown, they could bring him in as a QB coach to also work with Mills. Or at least, that's my thoughts on the situation. https://www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/brian-callahan

Last edited:
I readily admit that I haven't read this entire thread, so if I'm being redundant, please forgive me. With the Texans taking so long to hire a new head coach (again), do y'all believe they could be waiting to interview one of the coaches on the two Superbowl bound teams? I sure hope they're not doing what they did last year & end up with egg on their faces again. One coach in particular that jumps out at me, is the Bengal's OC Brian Callahan. His resume with turning offenses around & developing young quarterbacks is impressive. If he doesn't scream HC material, then I don't know who does. Davis Mills showed a lot of promise last year & a guy like Callahan could take him to the next level. It just seems to me that they won't be hiring a defensive minded coach with both Crennel & Lovie already locked in & no offensive coordinator on the team. Then, if they really are serious about bringing in McCown, they could bring him in as a QB coach to also work with Mills. Or at least, that's my thoughts on the situation. View attachment 9699
Vikings have already announced they’re hiring Rams OC Kevin O’Connell, so I seriously doubt that’s the hold up.

I’m really beginning to think there’s a power struggle going on between the Pastor (McCown) and Nick (anyone but McCown). That’s a good thing IMO. Find out once and for all who’s running this shitshow. Pulling for Nick in this instance.

Other than that, I have no idea what the **** they’re waiting on. Too cold to hold a press conference?? Cal refuses to pause his video game??

Despite his appreciation given to the Texans, the Houston Texans are part of the suit. Following his interview, thanks and all, Flores was never told that he was no longer a candidate for the position. Flores in his suit alleges that racially discriminatory actions were made against him by at least three specific NFL teams in his suit: the Miami Dolphins, the New York Giants and the Denver Broncos. But in naming the NFL in discriminatory practices, he is including all of the teams. If he is not chosen as the Texans HC, it leaves the Texans wide open to Flores' "personal" list of teams that specifically discriminated against him.

In addition he does actually name the Texans by name as part of the discriminatory suit due to the firing of Culley.

I readily admit that I haven't read this entire thread, so if I'm being redundant, please forgive me. With the Texans taking so long to hire a new head coach (again), do y'all believe they could be waiting to interview one of the coaches on the two Superbowl bound teams? I sure hope they're not doing what they did last year & end up with egg on their faces again. One coach in particular that jumps out at me, is the Bengal's OC Brian Callahan. His resume with turning offenses around & developing young quarterbacks is impressive. If he doesn't scream HC material, then I don't know who does. Davis Mills showed a lot of promise last year & a guy like Callahan could take him to the next level. It just seems to me that they won't be hiring a defensive minded coach with both Crennel & Lovie already locked in & no offensive coordinator on the team. Then, if they really are serious about bringing in McCown, they could bring him in as a QB coach to also work with Mills. Or at least, that's my thoughts on the situation. https://www.bengals.com/team/coaches-roster/brian-callahan
They could’ve interviewed Callahan but I don’t think he was on their radar.

Right now it seems as if there’s yet another power struggle going on. They continue to do business butt backwards. Until they get the peaking order right they will continue to have a dysfunctional organization.

Pep Hamilton lost out on the Chicago OC opening and turned down an interview with Carolina. Right now, it appears he will stay with the Texans, probably as OC.

It appears Lovie is remaining as DC.

The last report we had on the Texans HC opening was that Caserio preferred Gannon, but had differences with Gannon on his (Gannon's) staffing preferences. Most likely this involves the retention of Hamilton and/or Smith.

McCown is Easterby's choice and, as a candidate with no previous experience, would likely be open to having Pep and Lovie as his coordinators.

The fact that there has not been an announcement today is likely evidence that the decision is still up in the air.

It's been 60 years since a top down management scheme has been used in the NFL. I think it would be entertaining as h*ll to see this out-of-the-box model used again with the modern NFL. I'm hoping Cal supports the hiring of McCown.

Back