Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

what is everyone’s rush to hire someone? I seriously don’t understand what is the big deal in hiring someone quickly. The current year isnt even over yet, there are 4 other teams that still haven’t hired anyone yet…like why is it such a sign of ineptness that they haven’t hire someone yet?

Jags were among the first to hire Urban Meyer last year…that dude didn’t even last a full year. Lions hired their guy before us, didn’t help them much in the win column. Same for the Jets….you guys need to calm down.
How bout interviewing Ken Dorsey?
Again, if McClown is somehow qualified, I just don’t get how Dorsey isn’t.

From what I have been informed, Flores had a long and impressive meeting with the Texans. He actually thanked them for giving him the opportunity for a very comprehensive, legitimate and fair interview. He informed them of the lawsuit on Monday. But that aside, the Texans could not accept his terms. He wanted total control over the roster. He wanted to bring in aggressive, "bully-type" assistants in the style of his own "leadership." Both parties left amicably.
Every coach worth his salt wants roster control. BOB had that even with Rick Smith. Every coach was control of 53, in particular gameday roster, thats normal. So it leads me to Caserio wants another puppet or guy he can control,a younger Culley. So any coach with a strong personality isn't going to work, hence McCown as finalist as well as interviewed Hines Ward. I guess we will wait and see.

I don’t know why anyone would think waiting until after the season tickets renewal date matters. I mean, folks assume they are hiring a relatively unknown DC or a guy with no HC experience so it won’t matter. And if they were goi g to hire Flores they’d surely be smart enough to see the marketing value and do it before.

I was about to say the same thing.

If Texans are truly a marketing company first they would hire Flores. But I could see the media turning this around on the Texans.

It would not look good to fire a black coach after one year to hire a white one. Especially now with this lawsuit out there. Bad timing.

If he is a finalist then he must have passed some hurdles for culture…

The safe route would be to elevate Lovie.

If Texans are truly a marketing company first they would hire Flores. But I could see the media turning this around on the Texans.

It would not look good to fire a black coach after one year to hire a white one. Especially now with this lawsuit out there. Bad timing.

Disclaimer: Flores doesnt have a chance to be selected, and his agent is a HUGE red flag.

...but, I could see free agents wanting to play under him because of the changes he is trying to bring to the league. Flores might lift us from the scratch and dent free agent bin to the clearance rack.

Lol,

David Culley had 27 years of coaching experience under some of the best HC's in the league......you guys complained b/c he wasn't on anyone's radar..& that he was too old.
Josh McCown has 0 years of coaching experience & he's young and has history with this franchise ...........you guys are complaining that he has no coaching experience...& that he's not on anyone's radar.

So at the end of the day it doesn't matter who they wind up hiring.........you guys are gonna complain no matter who it is...Its just in y'all nature..

Y'all are grasping for a name...Someone you know...Someone who the media has told y'all is good & a young "up and comer".

The Texans are obviously using their own criteria & just based on the success rate of coaches chosen the other way for decades by the other 30 teams, it can't be any worse the season Culley had last year more or less proves that.

Y'all just need to sit back and chill.

Last edited:
I really don't think McCown was ever considered for HC.

He interviewed for the HC position last year. McClain said they offered him an assistant position.

I doubt their opinion of McCown has changed since their opinion of Jim Caldwell, Matt Eberflus, or Leslie Frazier who all added to their resumes where McCown did not

Did they, though? We have guys in this forum that have insider access (and you have said many times you trust their intel), so doesn't that alone undermine your point?

Yeah, I guess. NFL franchises are not like most Fortune 500 companies, though. I also checked and literally none of them, with the exception of the Texans, mentions a front office executive in charge of "culture".

Why is that such a high priority when it is usually the result of a good head coach and winning? They are trying to manufacture something that comes naturally to successful franchises.

It just seems fake and something a marketing-first company would pursue. JMO

John McClain is also pushing the McCown angle. I heard him again this morning saying that he's convinced this is their next HC.

It is what it is, man. We connect dots and add our own cynical, sarcastic perspectives and that's obviously not everyone's cup of tea.

It's not gonna' stop me, though. We've paid our dues as Houston football fans, and opinions are a small sign that we still give a crap. Not that any of it matters. These billionaire team owners are going to do what they want to do regardless of how their actions are perceived.
Don't you run your life way you want to? It's their business. If I owned a grass cutting company I'd want to run it the way I want to.

Don't you run your life way you want to? It's their business. If I owned a grass cutting company I'd want to run it the way I want to.

NFL businesses are franchises to the NFL. They don't get to do what the heck want individually. Somewhat closer to the local Subway owner with a lot more public appeal and billions of dollars.

Disclaimer: Flores doesnt have a chance to be selected, and his agent is a HUGE red flag.

...but, I could see free agents wanting to play under him because of the changes he is trying to bring to the league. Flores might lift us from the scratch and dent free agent bin to the clearance rack.

Forgot about his agent.

Nevermind. I will pass. Don’t blame Texans either.

Every coach worth his salt wants roster control. BOB had that even with Rick Smith. Every coach was control of 53, in particular gameday roster, thats normal. So it leads me to Caserio wants another puppet or guy he can control,a younger Culley. So any coach with a strong personality isn't going to work, hence McCown as finalist as well as interviewed Hines Ward. I guess we will wait and see.

OB didn't get roster control until he became GM. The only coach with full roster control is BB. GMs have roster control so that they can manage the cap and look at the long term plan for the team. This isn't a Caserio thing this is an NFL thing or do you think all those coaches are the ones who decide when star players are cut or traded?

My business is not subsidized by taxpayer money. The McNairs did not build that stadium. WE DID.

Thats true but the stadium is also used for a lot of other things that bring in tax revenue such as the rodeo and the larger college games. Was just there last week taking my son to Monster Jam. That was worth the tax dollars more to me than any Texan game.

I would think we're at the very least 8 or more hrs away from any announcment. Someone is bound to report if and when Cal's plane takes off which is a clear clue it's off to pickup the coach. What is it, 8 hrs round trip to Philly?

Sports610 must have gotten word about Gannon to the Texans because they’re bashing the Texans extra hard this morning. They keep going on about how stupid and weird the Texans are going to look after interviewing McCown three times and not hiring him. They also keep repeating the possibility of McCown getting a HC gig somewhere else and how it’ll haunt Cal and Caserio forever if he turns out to be a good head coach. They’re discrediting and writing Jonathan Gannon right now as we speak. It is getting more ridiculous with every passing minute, smh!

They just went as saying they’d compromise with the Texans hiring Gannon as long as McCown is the guy. Oh lord….
And they would have been saying just the same if the hiring had gone the opposite way. They're just stirring up for listeners

That's why Flores still considers himself a candidate to land in Houston or New Orleans..............drastic fear of racist-based lawsuit can result in some unforeseen strange reactions..............I'm sure that Flores is hoping for that. He is represented by the Wigdor law firm [known for representing survivors of Harvey Weinstein's sexual abuse].............the source putting out that Flores still considers himself a candidate for the Houston and New Orleans HC position...............remember, he is suing the NFL (and all of its teams)...........putting extra screws to the last minute undecideds.................there is probably more pressure on the Texans in that the Saints have only interviewed Flores once.

Brian Flores, candidate for Saints job, hopes NFL lawsuit won't keep him from coaching again
Brian Flores, one of the candidates for the New Orleans Saints’ job, wants to be an NFL head coach again.

He’s hoping the lawsuit he filed Tuesday against the NFL and three of its teams (the Miami Dolphins, New York Giants and Denver Broncos), alleging racism in its hiring practices, won’t be held against him.

“I’m very hopeful that I will (get a job),” Flores said Wednesday on ESPN’s "Get Up" morning show. “I understand the risk of filing a lawsuit like this. (Coaching) is something I’m passionate about.”

Advertisement
Flores, who was fired after three seasons with the Dolphins, met with Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and other team personnel Monday and Tuesday in Mobile, Alabama. NFL team officials are in Mobile for the Senior Bowl to evaluate players for this year's NFL draft.

"He was very impressive," Loomis said.

Loomis said Flores notified the Saints about the lawsuit after the interviews were concluded and before the lawsuit became public.

Flores said he sent a message to both the Saints and the Houston Texans, the other team that is considering him for their head coaching position.
"Before we filed the class-action, I sent messages to both teams letting them know that we would be filing," Flores said. "But also letting them know that I am very interested in coaching and leading either of those teams."

The lawsuit alleges that the NFL has discriminated against Flores and other Black coaches for racial reasons, denying them positions as head coaches, offensive and defensive coordinators and quarterbacks coaches, as well as general managers.

Reactions: JB
My business is not subsidized by taxpayer money. The McNairs did not build that stadium. WE DID.
The stadium was part of the deal that Robert McNair made to purchase the NFL franchise called the Texas. Let's not get sidetracked here. The business of the Texans belongs to Janice McNair. She can do what she wants to and we can gripe about it but we should not expect her to necessarily agree to our points of view.

NFL businesses are franchises to the NFL. They don't get to do what the heck want individually. Somewhat closer to the local Subway owner with a lot more public appeal and billions of dollars.
I think the NFL teams owners are the NFL. They basically answer to each other and nothing else. A Subway franchisee is nothing comparable to a NFL team owner.

I think the NFL teams owners are the NFL. They basically answer to each other and nothing else. A Subway franchisee is nothing comparable to a NFL team owner.

There is a reason the word franchise is use with both the NFL teams and Subway.

Reactions: JB
You know what is tiresome? Your complaining about other posters complaining. You are going defend any action this organization does. Be it O'Brien, Culley, Caserio, it doesn't matter. If it comes down from NRG, it's all good.

not defending anything really…only exercising a positive attitude towards it all. You seem to be offended b/c you’re 1 of the ones who can’t seem to stop bitching & a lot of your complaining is exactly what I was talking about. Call me a “koolaid drinker” or whatever but you know it’s the truth & you really won’t have anything remotely positive to say no matter what they do. That’s your schtick…resident grouch.

Bottom line is if their moves are causing you so much grief, maybe you should take a break from the board…we all hear enough of your drivel on the radio waves.

Lol,

David Culley had 27 years of coaching experience under some of the best HC's in the league......you guys complained b/c he wasn't on anyone's radar..& that he was too old.
Josh McCown has 0 years of coaching experience & he's young and has history with this franchise ...........you guys are complaining that he has no coaching experience...& that he's not on anyone's radar.

So at the end of the day it doesn't matter who they wind up hiring.........you guys are gonna complain no matter who it is...Its just in y'all nature..

Y'all are grasping for a name...Someone you know...Someone who the media has told y'all is good & a young "up and comer".

The Texans are obviously using their own criteria & just based on the success rate of coaches chosen the other way for decades by the other 30 teams, it can't be any worse the season Culley had last year more or less proves that.

Y'all just need to sit back and chill.
Or I can continue to throw names out that don’t attend Easterby’s bibles studies as options…..

Also,your the only one here not chill, whining about us asking basic questions.

You can bet that if Flores is hired somewhere, any potential FA signing to that team will call some of the Dolphins players, and ask what it was really like playing for Flores before they sign.

That's the price the residents have to pay if they want to have an NFL franchise. I know there is not a worse time to ask this question but is/was it worth it? We know what happened when Houston residents refused the idea of paying for a new stadium.

The Texans were linked Daboll and Eberflus last year and they know McDaniels, so one or the other didn't want any part of the Texans process again. Leftwich, Bowles, Mayo, Ryans of course I don't have a real clue as to why they didn't interview, but it is interesting they are all minority candidates and the Texan were bleeping around with Hines Ward to satisfy the Rooney rule.

More broadly we know almost nothing about any of these dudes as candidates for head coaching outside of :

1) Their side of the ball performed well.
2) We are told by some source about their leadership, communication, etc,

Speaking of names what has happened to Eric Bieniemy?

You conveniently forgot that they interviewed Flores twice.

Back